Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd June 2010, 18:06   #241
BHPian

I'm going to Nelliyampathy this weekend and this is where I should have looked for first hand info. I would keep an eye for the fireflies. I had talked to Joe at the same resort that you stayed on Monday and I see this thread today. I could have saved a weeks background searching on the web if I remembered to look up travelogues section, took me a good part of a couple of hours to savour through the photos from a enthusiastic ornithologist I should say well worth the time.

Lalu_ks wonderful presentation skills and narration.Your words speak as well as your pictures.

Last edited by marlinspike : 2nd June 2010 at 18:07.
marlinspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:01   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
I'm going to Nelliyampathy this weekend and this is where I should have looked for first hand info. I would keep an eye for the fireflies. I had talked to Joe at the same resort that you stayed on Monday and I see this thread today. I could have saved a weeks background searching on the web if I remembered to look up travelogues section, took me a good part of a couple of hours to savour through the photos from a enthusiastic ornithologist I should say well worth the time.

Lalu_ks wonderful presentation skills and narration.Your words speak as well as your pictures.
Thank you marlinspike for the kind words.
Please convey our regards to Joe. Hope he still remembers us.
Please try also to goto maampara. It is a nice little core 4x4 drive up there.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Please write a log about your experience with some nice pictures
Sure laluks.

Just not getting enough time.
Eagerly waiting for the weekend to post my travelogue.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:34   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Sure laluks.

Just not getting enough time.
Eagerly waiting for the weekend to post my travelogue.
Ah! nice. Waiting to see all that wonderful pictures of a wonderful place.
Old 6th June 2010, 15:43   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

I was a little low today morning. Things were just not happening in many fronts. I took a stroll in our garden and I was greeted by the songs of "Kuyil".

Kuyil (Koyal) singing in our mini forest
Name:  DSC_0433.JPG
Views: 1777
Size:  279.4 KB

Listened to him for a while, took the camera and clicked some pictures.

Colourful seeds of our Palm tree
Name:  DSC_0417.JPG
Views: 1421
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0424.JPG
Views: 3193
Size:  241.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0425.JPG
Views: 2156
Size:  379.4 KB

Mangoes playing hide and seek with Palm seeds
Name:  DSC_0426.JPG
Views: 2006
Size:  393.2 KB

More Mangoes
Name:  DSC_0404.JPG
Views: 1439
Size:  200.7 KB
Name:  DSC_0405.JPG
Views: 1411
Size:  169.0 KB

Gold spot
Name:  DSC_0438.JPG
Views: 1359
Size:  190.4 KB

Felt a bit relaxed, and am back to track.

Some more pictures from my mini forest

The Gooseberry plant from Yercaud
Name:  DSC_0408.JPG
Views: 1455
Size:  509.5 KB

Our Nelliyampathy Passion Fruit sapling is growing fast
Name:  DSC_0411.JPG
Views: 1562
Size:  404.8 KB

The Mango harvest this season
Name:  IMG_0321.JPG
Views: 1624
Size:  332.8 KB

From a Rainy Day
Name:  DSC_0357.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  231.6 KB

Pomegranates in the rain
Name:  DSC_0359.JPG
Views: 1281
Size:  182.3 KB
Name:  DSC_0370.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0371.JPG
Views: 1311
Size:  238.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0374.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  234.9 KB

Though our garden turned into mini forest, it really helps sometimes
Old 6th June 2010, 17:29   #246
Senior - BHPian

Hi Laluks

with such a wonderful garden, the harvest is bound to be great, some day or the other. Keep up your sprits.

Your photographs of the Koyal is great especially considering Koyal is a very shy bird.

Simply love picture of mangos grown in your garden.

StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 20:07   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Laluks

with such a wonderful garden, the harvest is bound to be great, some day or the other. Keep up your sprits.

Your photographs of the Koyal is great especially considering Koyal is a very shy bird.

Simply love picture of mangos grown in your garden.

Thanks Star.
I did not know koyal was a shy bird. Infact there were 4 of them. 3 You can see in the picture, 4th one flew away. Probably they wanted to cheer me up , which they did.
Old 7th June 2010, 00:41   #248
MX6
Senior - BHPian

All you need to do now is build a tree house. I wouldn't mind staying there when I come to bangalore.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 06:51   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
All you need to do now is build a tree house. I wouldn't mind staying there when I come to bangalore.
Good idea, though we have to wait a bit for some trees to get stronger
Old 7th June 2010, 07:46   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Good idea, though we have to wait a bit for some trees to get stronger
Let me be speculative here..

I can imagine Lalu sitting in a Tree House on a Mango Tree and thinking whether he should cut the mango prior to eating it or eat it full as it is

Sr PPG and Jr PPG complaining to thier mother that their father is not coming down the mango tree house. Now Mother is also worried.

Then they tell him that they can drive to Ratangiri in Maharastra and bring some authentic Aapus Mangos, then Lalu readily comes down the tree and gets into the car. Long Drives and Mangos a combination which is hard to resist for Lalu.

This is an original storyline written by me. If it sounds similar to some advt which is currently running on the TV channels, it is simply co-incidental.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 09:54   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Let me be speculative here..

I can imagine Lalu sitting in a Tree House on a Mango Tree and thinking whether he should cut the mango prior to eating it or eat it full as it is

Sr PPG and Jr PPG complaining to thier mother that their father is not coming down the mango tree house. Now Mother is also worried.

Then they tell him that they can drive to Ratangiri in Maharastra and bring some authentic Aapus Mangos, then Lalu readily comes down the tree and gets into the car. Long Drives and Mangos a combination which is hard to resist for Lalu.

This is an original storyline written by me. If it sounds similar to some advt which is currently running on the TV channels, it is simply co-incidental.
. Man you are hilarious
Old 8th June 2010, 09:18   #252
BHPian

Thanks to Laluks and PearlJam about info around the Parambikulam/Valparai sections which helped me to do a trip over the past weekend. A short post on the situation of June 6, 2010. Initially had thought of going to Valparai-Chalakudi-Chimmini Dam - Peechi Dam and back to Coimbatore. However, my father had an other appointment for Sunday and me, wifey, daughter and amma planned to take the shorter trip to Parambikulam. Started at around 6 am and reached home back in Coimbatore at around 3:30 PM.

So CBE-Pollachi-Sethumadai. TN Checkpost - 15 per head, car 15, camera 25. Total - Rs 100. 12 km to TopSlip. Nice cool place. A European kind of green hill was seen here, at the top of which was a beautiful bungalow. There were other TN govt cottages and the works there too. Contd...
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 09:24   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks to Laluks and PearlJam about info around the Parambikulam/Valparai sections which helped me to do a trip over the past weekend. A short post on the situation of June 6, 2010. Initially had thought of going to Valparai-Chalakudi-Chimmini Dam - Peechi Dam and back to Coimbatore. However, my father had an other appointment for Sunday and me, wifey, daughter and amma planned to take the shorter trip to Parambikulam. Started at around 6 am and reached home back in Coimbatore at around 3:30 PM.

So CBE-Pollachi-Sethumadai. TN Checkpost - 15 per head, car 15, camera 25. Total - Rs 100. 12 km to TopSlip. Nice cool place. A European kind of green hill was seen here, at the top of which was a beautiful bungalow. There were other TN govt cottages and the works there too. Contd...
Waiting for your log and pictures

I also wanted to do Chimmini Dam, Peechi Dam but the weather was so hot and further for many reasons we stayed put at Nelliyampathy. Did you gather any information on the road situatins to these places?

Top Slip and parambikulam is in my radar. Hope one day to do that trip.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:04   #254
BHPian

There were 2 huts close by. 1 of TN and next to it the KL one. There was one officer sitting in there, 3 mallus with a KA car entered in there as well and then a group of 6 from CBE. So we were 13 and were ready to go on a 14 seater van on a 3 hr Parambikulam safari.

Charges: 140 (safari) + 10 (head entry) + 50 (car entry) + 25 (still-camera)

The KL forest guard gave us glossy colored boarding passes with the iternary for the day and an old govt styled white paper which mentioned name, address, car-make, amount paid etc... We drove the car from this pt (which is TopSlip in TN) and the guard opened up the iron bar to let us go further. Drove for 2 km and hit the Kerala check post where I entered a old-govt-style checkpost room and the officer looked at the tickets and said ok. I did not know why that was needed. Anyway... Again the bar was opened and we drove a little further, found a security guard who asked us to park our vehichle and walk say 300 m or so where we could see many more people and cottages, reception area, toilet area, eco-shop, hay-umbrella resting area, well maintained and looked say a couple of years old (max) and a couple of vans. Reception area had pamphlets mentioning the history etc...

The trip started at 9:45 am and ended at 12:45 am. Peacocks, Spotted deer, Langoors and we were lucky to see 4 wild elephants, thunnakadavu dam, parambikulam dam, valley view, dam view, Kannimara teak (oldest in...) big girth. It was good. On the way we could see huts on poles along side the lake. Rs. 4000 for 2 for a day. Also saw a few private vehichles - heard that those who book stay at the reserve can drive through. However there would be a guard with you always - to restrict things you are not supposed to do. In one way its good, the forest is saved. All in all a good outing!
Old 8th June 2010, 11:11   #255
BHPian

Road conditions - From Sethumadai to TopSlip (12 km) - a few hair pins - did not count (should have) - but it looked terribly unattended to. A few tar patches here and there - I would say not good. From there on just a few km till the Kerala check post and till parking.