Views: 2082
Size:  348.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0028.JPG
Views: 2205
Size:  337.5 KB

Name:  Picture 002.JPG
Views: 2246
Size:  174.9 KB

Dear Friends, Dashy is now only in our memories. We lost her on Monday the 21st of February 2011. She was suffering from a terminal cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Lalu, you've got a beautiful house which is decorated with the green wonders with memories associated with each and that too with Guardian angel Dashy.
She is still our Guardian Angel in our memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESriram View Post
And yeah, Dashy looks dashing! Love the pic where she's singing
She is. She waited for all of us to arrive on Monday evening. She walked up to my kids when they came from school. She smiled at my wife later in the evening. She breathed her last in my arms seconds after I arrived home from office. She was determined to see us all before leaving us.

This cannot be chance. My wife and me are awed - How does a dog know so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Fantastic house (& dog) you got there Laluks. Now that you have put it online, I think you should buy one of those "Rakshasa" masks & put it prominently outside the house to ward off my evil eye
smartcat - I am not sure what to say now.

@Starvegabond - You were an enormous support during the last months. I could talk to you about her for hours and you patiently listened to me all the while. Thank you.

@Khoj - Thank you for loving Dashy even though you both have not met her. Incidentally you were the one I had to vent out my feelings towards the last days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Oh do give Dashy a few extra pats from my side.
Wish I could just do that now.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:20   #257
BHPian

Default Re: Swifted : Nelliyampathy via Valparai

Sorry to hear @laluks that your beloved dashy is no more. She has been part of many of your amazing stories. Myself being a dog lover recognize how much pain we get when we miss them. Get a puppy soon, similar type, and start the your love all over again.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:06   #258
Senior - BHPian

This is very sad news, Laluks. She was close to our hearts also through your posts. Will remember her for ever
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:45   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Can't help but bump this thread up after a similar drive ( definitely not as crazy ) through Vazhachal in fading light and under heavy July rains! Started after 4 PM from Valparai only to realize we had grossly underestimated the time needed to get to Chalakudy - we reached around 7.45 PM. Big snakes, elephants ( thankfully not close enough - it was a herd of about 7 with 2 calves, grazing grass on the banks of Solayar Backwaters down below - we kept observing them for many minutes ), dramatic views of water bodies, elephant excrement dotting the roads every 5 meters or so - some fresh and some not ( did I hear a "ew" ?), disappointment of not being able to make it to Athirappilly falls in time - it was a medley of emotions from euphoria to downright scary! It feels a very looong drive, doesn't it ? I kept questioning my wisdom/planning especially in the last 2 hours of the drive.

Got to see 2 Nilgiri Tahrs ( not together ) some where along the 40 bends, Whistling Thrushes and the Singaval Kurangu between Attakkatti and Valparai..

Did Nelliampathy on the same trip ( not on the same day like you ) - and it was a beauty in the rains - I would probably put it in the top 3 places I've visited in the Western Ghats.

I remembered this thread, but had not really read it fully before, so was going through this to see if I missed any place during my drive!

Adventurous of you for doing these trips with the family ( I was with the family too, but just wife and I ) - all of these : the Bisle Ghat one, The Parambikulam One and this veeeery crazy Nelliampathy one!

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd July 2012 at 22:49.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 12:25   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Dear Friends, Dashy is now only in our memories. We lost her on Monday the 21st of February 2011. She was suffering from a terminal cancer.

She is still our Guardian Angel in our memories.
Hey Lalu, I know its really late seeing this message but really felt sorry for Dashy. Who is the new comer?
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 06:57   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Can't help but bump this thread up after a similar drive ( definitely not as crazy ) through Vazhachal in fading light and under heavy July rains! Started after 4 PM from Valparai only to realize we had grossly underestimated the time needed to get to Chalakudy - we reached around 7.45 PM. Big snakes, elephants ( thankfully not close enough - it was a herd of about 7 with 2 calves, grazing grass on the banks of Solayar Backwaters down below - we kept observing them for many minutes ), dramatic views of water bodies, elephant excrement dotting the roads every 5 meters or so - some fresh and some not ( did I hear a "ew" ?), disappointment of not being able to make it to Athirappilly falls in time - it was a medley of emotions from euphoria to downright scary! It feels a very looong drive, doesn't it ? I kept questioning my wisdom/planning especially in the last 2 hours of the drive.

Got to see 2 Nilgiri Tahrs ( not together ) some where along the 40 bends, Whistling Thrushes and the Singaval Kurangu between Attakkatti and Valparai..

Did Nelliampathy on the same trip ( not on the same day like you ) - and it was a beauty in the rains - I would probably put it in the top 3 places I've visited in the Western Ghats.

I remembered this thread, but had not really read it fully before, so was going through this to see if I missed any place during my drive!

Adventurous of you for doing these trips with the family ( I was with the family too, but just wife and I ) - all of these : the Bisle Ghat one, The Parambikulam One and this veeeery crazy Nelliampathy one!
around three hours from Valparai to Chalakudy is quite good. When did you do the drive, heard the roads through the forest is good now. Is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hey Lalu, I know its really late seeing this message but really felt sorry for Dashy. Who is the new comer?
Thank you jacs for the question. Infact no one. PPGs were quite upset with the last few months of Dashy's days. that they have decided not to have one for a while.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:04   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks

around three hours from Valparai to Chalakudy is quite good. When did you do the drive, heard the roads through the forest is good now. Is it?
No - it was more like 3.5 hours. The road is good. Did it second week of July.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 22:20   #263
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Scary experience there @airguitar!
During my Valparai trip in May I made the same mistake of grossly underestimating the driving time for Athirapilly-Valparai. We left Athirapilly at 1:15pm and reached Valparai at 4:45pm and had lunch around 5:15pm.
Luckily this was in daylight and there were no rains and wildlife spotting except for a snake that slithered quickly across the road.
@airguitar - The 10-12Km stretch leading up to the Malakappara check post was rough with several potholes, gravel, etc. Has this stretch been relaid now?

Last edited by NPV : 31st July 2012 at 22:22.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 14:42   #264
BHPian

Roads good all through. Some stretches were eroded, but unable to recollect the exact locations. However, overall, no major concerns throughout.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 18:18   #265
BHPian

Just wanted to post a pic from that trip : this is right after Nemmara towards Pothundy reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
Swifted : Nelliyampathy via Valparai-nelliampathy12.jpg  

airguitar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 14:52   #266
Senior - BHPian

Just scrolled through some of the pics! Amazing!!!

Thank you Lloyd for suggesting this place to me and providing this link.

Guys,

Was looking for accomodation. Unluckily makemytrip.com lists Nelliyampathy but shows no hotels. Information on accomodation will be much appreciated
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 15:23   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Guys,

Was looking for accomodation. Unluckily makemytrip.com lists Nelliyampathy but shows no hotels. Information on accomodation will be much appreciated
Three options

1. ITL resorts : Right at the first junction as you enter Nelliyampathy. Accommodation seems good. Never stayed there, though have had food. Food is average Kerala style, not too good nor bad. Ph : 04923 246357

2. Ciscilia Heritage : Ciscilia Heritage - Welcome to Ayurvedic Resort
Surrounded by forests. Nice clean rooms. Cook Appu makes delicious Kerala style food. Awesome location - very good view points all around.

But there are some negatives : No proper road to the resort, all off-road territory. Very difficult for a sedan to make it. My Santro was able to make it with difficulty (also Lalu's Swift, as per this log) . Though called Heritage, nothing heritage about it, except for the doors of the rooms which are lifted from old Kerala homes.

You may directly talk to the Manager, Joe : 9447033560. Also insist that the bathrooms have to be clean when you reach there, since the servant sometimes 'bunks' and the bathrooms may not be as clean as you may like it to be, as we found out during one of our stays

But if you love the forests and have a vehicle with good ground clearance, this is the best option. Good chance of sighting Gaurs, Elephants

3. Green Land farm houses : Green Land Farm Houses Nelliyampathy, Greenland Resort Nelliyampathy, Greenland Resort, Kerala, India.

A proper resort. Best of both worlds - situated inside tea-gardens. Easy access, but at the same time surrounded on one side by Forests. Good rooms, decent food. Adjoining the Seetharkundu view point. Road to the resort shared with POAB's estate
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 16:19   #268
Senior - BHPian

^ Really appreciate your inputs!!!

Ciscilia Heritage is sold out for all weekends for this month. From the travelogue, this seems to be the place to stay.

I will materialise this plan and make the bookings by end of day in one of the other 2 lodges.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 21:38   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

How much do they charge at all these places now?
Old 13th August 2012, 21:45   #270
Senior - BHPian

Ciscilia is Rs. 1000 excluding food

Greenland starts at Rs. 1200 for a normal double room and goes all the way to Rs 2200

No idea regarding ITL
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote