Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th April 2010, 16:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

That buffalo surely seems to be smarter than those taxiwallahs.

Quote:
Every now and then there are small bridges wherever the sea has made inroads inland. We passed by Velvadar national park near Bavliali. There is just a small sign board to show its presence and direction. But we weren’t too inclined looking at the flora and fauna which was extremely arid and dry. The sea comes into land and you can see salt all over the place.
How far is the sea from this place? And when does the sea make inroads? During the rainy season?
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 16:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
It started only thanks to your motivation and pushing. I had gotten quite lazy lately.
Lets not discuss lazyness much. The motivator and pushed himself had to be pushed and coaxed for good four months to cough up the Arunachal Travelogue. God only knows when he's gonna start on the buxa tiger reserve!

Some important looking (to himself, that is) Bhpian has recently named him LazyDC and is looking for a suitably caustic nick for you, who has completely denied us of Olive Ridley Story!

Is the front end of the People Mover and Enfield? If Nifty breaks 5250, I'll soon be converting my Electra into one of those. :-(

Last edited by sen2009 : 16th April 2010 at 16:58.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 17:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Diu

About Diu.
Diu is an island. A union territory. Its also the second place in Gujarat where alcohol is not prohibited. As such during the weekends all the droves of people who like to indulge in Madira drive down to Diu.

Its a small island, old and rustic. Evidence of British occupation everywhere you turn your head. Its quiet, unhurried and relaxed.

We reached Diu at 730pm the night before and looked around for a room.

We went across the main bridge to the city square and turned left where all the eateries and hotels were.
Looked at one hotel, haggled on the price and he settled for Rs.1000/- for an ac room. We walked into the room and saw cockroaches running over the place. They were everywhere, under the bed, under the furniture, tv, and even under the mattress and towel. We asked for another room which was the same. So he offered to use a HIT spray to kill all the pests which we declined and demanded a refund.
So they offered to shift us to a sister hotel, a 3 star apparently for the same price. OK, so we went there.
First room, same, cockroaches everywhere, so they showed us a second, which was pest free and clean but without a view. Since we were out of options and it was getting late, we took it.

What we observed and what I feel is that most local visitors to Diu come to et drunk and dont really know nor care about the hygiene and cleanliness inside the rooms. In about 3 hotels we saw the thick blanket on top(sujni) wasnt cleaned for days on end. They just changed the bedsheet and made up the bed. We had almost decided to sleep in the car.

Next morning we were up at 6am. Out of the hotel at 7am.
Diu was alseep. There were hardly any people anywhere, even the dogs were sleeping.
Diu is extremely well lit at night and gives the impression of a carnival. The bridge and the main street near the bus stand is full of people. Eateries everwhere and well decorated hotels with fancy lights.
Following are a few pics of Diu. The beach si nice and clean and its basically a sleepy town where you can go to destress and relax.

Attachment 330759

The fort entrance inside Diu, where the old town is situated.
Attachment 330760

A man been taken to his final abode while the local boys check out the local ITEMS.
Attachment 330761

A part of the old fort walls.

Some views inside Diu.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0208.jpg
The beach.

Just past the beach we came across this PIECE OF ART.

Probably the best thing we saw in Diu and something to make Diu very memorable for me. We spent about 30 minutes checking this beautiful machine. Done up and maintained with extreme love and care. It looks ageless.

Soon after I saw this chap coming in full speed with his eyes shut. I saw him pass by and not once did he open his eyes in the 75meters that I saw him ride.

A few parting shots of Diu.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 17:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Seriously - You did not go through Little Rann? Adesar-Radhanpur-Mehsana.....Don't die before you do Adesar-Jinjuwad-Dasada......right through little Rann.
I envy your coastline hugging trip, wish I had the time.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 17:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey hey hey - some pictures attachments not working from your last post!
Old 16th April 2010, 17:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys. I uploaded the set of pics twice. The first time i got logged out by the Tbhp server and the second time i tried to re-upload the same pics I was over the 20 minute limit to edit the post.
I will not REUPLOAD the pics again.
I have sent a request to the ADMINISTRATOR and reported the post with the missing pics.

Please consider this thread closed if the pics I uploaded in the edited post are not updated by the administrator.
Thanks for your enthusiasm but im sorry, its extremely painful to reupload pics a whole bunch of pics.

Why is the system timing me out every few minutes??.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

OK GUYS...!!

After reporting the post for the missing pictures I received word that probably I smoke too much and the screen gets fogged due to smoke so I cant see what im doing. So im gonna try again, the smoke machine has gone out and the fog has cleared.

Here goes... repeat procedure!! UFF!!
Old 16th April 2010, 18:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
About Diu.

Probably the best thing we saw in Diu and something to make Diu very memorable for me. We spent about 30 minutes checking this beautiful machine. Done up and maintained with extreme love and care. It looks ageless.

A few parting shots of Diu.
Hay, didn't get to see these pictures, have you uploaded them or caught in the "20 minute jinx"?

========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 18:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Diu

About Diu.
Diu is an island. A union territory. Its also the second place in Gujarat where alcohol is not prohibited. As such during the weekends all the droves of people who like to indulge in Madira drive down to Diu.

Its a small island, old and rustic. Evidence of British occupation everywhere you turn your head. Its quiet, unhurried and relaxed.

We reached Diu at 730pm the night before and looked around for a room.

We went across the main bridge to the city square and turned left where all the eateries and hotels were.
Looked at one hotel, haggled on the price and he settled for Rs.1000/- for an ac room. We walked into the room and saw cockroaches running over the place. They were everywhere, under the bed, under the furniture, tv, and even under the mattress and towel. We asked for another room which was the same. So he offered to use a HIT spray to kill all the pests which we declined and demanded a refund.
So they offered to shift us to a sister hotel, a 3 star apparently for the same price. OK, so we went there.
First room, same, cockroaches everywhere, so they showed us a second, which was pest free and clean but without a view. Since we were out of options and it was getting late, we took it.

What we observed and what I feel is that most local visitors to Diu come to et drunk and dont really know nor care about the hygiene and cleanliness inside the rooms. In about 3 hotels we saw the thick blanket on top(sujni) wasnt cleaned for days on end. They just changed the bedsheet and made up the bed. We had almost decided to sleep in the car.

Next morning we were up at 6am. Out of the hotel at 7am.
Diu was alseep. There were hardly any people anywhere, even the dogs were sleeping.
Diu is extremely well lit at night and gives the impression of a carnival. The bridge and the main street near the bus stand is full of people. Eateries everwhere and well decorated hotels with fancy lights.
Following are a few pics of Diu. The beach si nice and clean and its basically a sleepy town where you can go to destress and relax.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0200.jpg

The fort entrance inside Diu, where the old town is situated.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0201.jpg

A man been taken to his final abode while the local boys check out the local ITEMS.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0198.jpg

Some views inside Diu.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0224.jpg

tHE dIU ENTRANCE AS SEEN IN THE MORNING
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0302.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0022.jpg  

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0013.jpg  

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0019.jpg  

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0021.jpg  

Old 16th April 2010, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

THE BEACH STRETCH
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0245.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0243.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0242.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0875.jpg

I saw this chap coming in full speed with his eyes shut. I saw him pass by and not once did he open his eyes in the 75meters that I saw him ride.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0040.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0041.jpg
Old 16th April 2010, 18:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

jay good stuff man. I remember during my recent flight to Heathrow the flight did go over the Rann of kutch and it was an awesome sight to behold at that altitude. Being there in person should be an over whelming experience by itself. Good on you mate and please don't keep us lesser mortals waiting .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 18:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0025.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0030.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0261.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0270.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0272.jpg

Look at all the detail in each and every part. Clean, well maintained, stylish and almost all the rainbow colours.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0274.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0284.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0286.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0290.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0294.jpg

Please excuse me for going overboard with pictures of this MOTORBOAT ON 3 WHEELS.

A parting shot of Diu.

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0298.jpg

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th April 2010 at 19:00.
Old 16th April 2010, 19:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 330901

Cool thing this is.
I tried to make sense out of the embossing on the engine block, but failed. But the overall build certainly looks a lot like an old enfield. How is the exhaust note?
Do these run on petrol or diesel?

The thingy really got me fascinated.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 20:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

As it says in one of the pics it runs on "DJL" Man the owner sure loves his "RADHIKA" mototrike. All over Gujrat you see these converted trikes. And some of them are loaded beyond belief too!

Waiting for the next set of FOG cleared pics and story.
Old 17th April 2010, 00:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

bring it on.

there are scores of such pieces of art in every village in gujarat!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote