Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th April 2010, 08:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Cool thing this is.
I tried to make sense out of the embossing on the engine block, but failed. But the overall build certainly looks a lot like an old enfield. How is the exhaust note?
Do these run on petrol or diesel?

The thingy really got me fascinated.

Those contraptions are called Chakada's.
They are Enfields with Diesel Engines (I think Crompton Greaves)

Exhaust note: "Phat Phat"
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 21:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
How far is the sea from this place? And when does the sea make inroads? During the rainy season?
The sea is quite a distance.... I think atleast a kilometer. From what I could see, i feel the sea also comes in during high tide to the lower lying areas. During a higher tide the water is trapped in some places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Seriously - You did not go through Little Rann? Adesar-Radhanpur-Mehsana.....Don't die before you do Adesar-Jinjuwad-Dasada......right through little Rann.
I envy your coastline hugging trip, wish I had the time.
We did, but through the highway. I shall be repeating the stretch, since I have to go back to the Rann...!!

Are you saying that the above mentioned route drives through the salt desert or is there a tar road through it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hay, didn't get to see these pictures, have you uploaded them or caught in the "20 minute jinx"?

========
Its a 15 minute jinx. I think whoever decided the time limit has either never posted a travelogue or is too good with a computer than us fellow mortals. Its so ridiculous, you upload the 1st set of pics and before you upload the second set in the same post, the 1st set disappears due to the time limit. Someone with a slower connection will never be able to post a travelogue.
Im now posting 10 pics at a time per post. And its excruciatingly irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
jay good stuff man. I remember during my recent flight to Heathrow the flight did go over the Rann of kutch and it was an awesome sight to behold at that altitude. Being there in person should be an over whelming experience by itself. Good on you mate and please don't keep us lesser mortals waiting .
The Rann is mesmerizing and humbling when you're actually standing in the middle of it. It makes you feel utterly helpless.

Quote:
Cool thing this is.
I tried to make sense out of the embossing on the engine block, but failed. But the overall build certainly looks a lot like an old enfield. How is the exhaust note?
Do these run on petrol or diesel?

The thingy really got me fascinated.
The exhaust note is loud enough to wake up a dead man. Its a Greaves mechanical water pump with a gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bring it on.

there are scores of such pieces of art in every village in gujarat!!
There is a lot more to GJ than its industrial prowess. The villages are unique and so is the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post

Exhaust note: "Phat Phat"
Its a lot more than a "phat phat". Its like many mini bomb explosions at the same time, and if ane of them is revving at full speed, you can hear them a mile away.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 21:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default DAY 2 > Diu - Somnath - Veraval - Gir - Junagadh

The map route for day 2.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-scan0004.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-scan0005.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-scan001.jpg

Day 2:
Day 2 started with a tour of Diu.
Soon after we finished decided to head for Somnath and Veraval along the coast road.
Nothing very special about Somnath other than the main Somnath temple and the other small temples around it.
So we parked in the parking lot.
After the carnage in Gandhidham temple many years ago, security is high in all places of religious worship. So the temple looks more like going to the Mantralaya. Not much religious sentiment remains after you pass through scanners, frisking, guntotting police, CCTV and the police posted inside rooftop perches inside the temple. So we basically go, click some fotos, take a walk turn by turn inside the temple, since cameras aren’t allowed and return to the parking lot and leave.
Thankfully the scam pundits are missing. The temple premises once you get inside is very serene. But we were there at noon and it was hott. There is a scientific object built inside the premises that exactly determines the North and South pole(if I remember correctly).

A few pics enroute to Somnath.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0311.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0318.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0320.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0326.jpg

The Somnath temple.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0338.jpg

Cop pacing up and down trying to pacify his boss(wife) on the fone.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0346.jpg

The security force changing shift. They looked like a bunch of boys straight out of the 12th Grade. With flyweight bodies weighing lesser than their rifles and zero energy in their steps. The other bunch were either too fat. The whole setup looked only of pose value than anything else.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0350.jpg

The special temple entrance. The most expensive privilege costs 25 lakhs. You can drive straight in and you get the red carpet treatment with the special puja and Prasad. God might just come and sit in your lap after that.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0354.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0356.jpg

From there we headed off to Veraval.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 17th April 2010 at 21:34.
Old 17th April 2010, 22:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Veraval And Onwards

Veraval is a ship building and fishing town. Huge dhows being built all along the roadside and huge logs of timber scattered everywhere. The water has turned reddish purple probably due to all the chemicals used in the ship building process.

Dus baat ki ek baat, here is a panoramic view of the place.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-veraval-panorama.jpg

And a couple of more pics
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0047.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0052.jpg

From Veraval , our next destination was Junagadh. And we decided it would be fun to drive via the Sasan Gir road that runs along the Gir Sanctuary.
The road was good. We were just a few kms from Gir when we decided to stop for lunch since there weren’t any dhabas around not expected until Junagadh. We found a wonderful spot between the shade of 2 banyan trees overlooking a mango orchard and called a pitstop. Had carried the prepacked MTR variety of food and noodles. So the next hour was spent enjoying the picnic and the lovely breeze under the shade of the trees.

Lunch stop before Gir.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0054.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0064.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0074.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0082.jpg

Soon after we passed through Gir, but decided to proceed further, since Gir is a full 2 day project for the future and it would be worthless to squeeze the trip in one evening.
The drive through Gir though was simply wonderful. Its a single lane road full of twists and turns and speedbreakers that runs alongside the forest. We even had 2 deer sightings. Both were a different kind of deer that crossed the road, paused for a while and disappeared into the thicket. We weren’t ready with the camera so we missed the shots. Along the route however, we spotted a huge lake and decided it was time to get off the road and straight to the lakeside. The lake was calm and serene and the waters receding due to the summer.

The lake view.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0096.jpg

We spotted some birds and vice versa.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0390.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0397.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0398.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0400.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0422.jpg

The Gir lion, not in a mood for a drink.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0415.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0437.jpg

Following that we headed straight for Junagadh... the fort, also known as UPARKOT.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 22:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Junagadh > Junagadh Fort=uparkot

I had visited Junagadh over 10 years ago and the place was eerie and in ruins, weeds everywhere and no one to take care and just falling apart with the place being used for conduct criminal activities, etc.
But this time it was different. A lot of restoration has taken place, it looks like its being taken care of. The place is clean, cleaner than it was. Thanks to Na Mo(Narendra Modi) The man has done wonders for development and the evidence is amply visible. From the well developed and maintained road infrastructure to the clearly marked signs and the well lit small towns and the restored tourist sites. Everywhere we stopped and stirred up a chat about GJ, people spoke of NaMo.
The Junagadh fort is a fascinating place and its huge. We found a local guide outside the entrance for 100 bucks. You take a car ticket and can drive straight into the fort. The history of the fort is amazing. I found new found respect for Sardar Vallabhai Patel. The fort was under seize for 12 years before they ran out of food. They have tunnels going all the way out far off places. The guide said one tunnel comes out at Ahmedabad, which I refuse to believe. 10 years ago the guides tunnel was shorter. There is a lot of history about the fort. I suggest you go there, see for yourself and take a guide to show you around.

Junagadh is also called UPARKOT. The view from top.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0103.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0106.jpg

The Canon. Guide said it had a range of 7 kms.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0101.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0102.jpg

Inside the fort.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0463.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0464.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0470.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0108.jpg

The view of Girnar mountain. That is my next target if I get lucky. Its got 9999 steps to the top and is quite a climb.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0452.jpg
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 22:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

The Buddhist caves. Its full of underground chambers. Quite difficult to capture on cam due to many walls and pillars.
Attachment 331557
Attachment 331558
Attachment 331559

The well is around 750+ feet deep and took 24 years to build. The base of the well starts at approx 750+ feet and then goes deeper. Its no longer used nor cleaned by anyone.
Attachment 331560
Attachment 331561
Attachment 331562

Well, I wont go into the history and geography of the fort. For that you have google. I shall only say, that if you’re going to GJ, do visit the Junagadh fort. Its really wonderful and quite different from the other forts you will ever see.

A few inhouse residents.
Attachment 331563
Attachment 331564
Attachment 331565
Attachment 331566

This is where they kept the messenger pigeons.
Attachment 331569
Old 17th April 2010, 22:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Some views from the fort and that great Girnar mountain. Gotto go there once atleast.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0507.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0137.jpg

Watch point for the sentry.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0147.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0143.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0532.jpg

Single entry cum exit from the fort.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0139.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0138.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0141.jpg

Some views as we leave this old rustic town.
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0548.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0556.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0560.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-dsc_0565.jpg
Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-moded0151.jpg

It was still late evening as we left Junagadh. So we decided to head back and stop at Chorwad. It would save us time the next morning. However, the traveller may note, that there are no hotels at Chorwad. 2 new hotels along the highway are under construction. So we drove back and stopped at a hotel on the outskirts of Somnath.

Next day we headed for Dwarka.
Old 18th April 2010, 02:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
.....We did, but through the highway. I shall be repeating the stretch, since I have to go back to the Rann...!!

Are you saying that the above mentioned route drives through the salt desert or is there a tar road through it?
No tarmac road but a path that cuts right through. It is an awesome drive but best attempted in a group or with a local guide.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 02:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Buddhist caves. Its full of underground chambers. Quite difficult to capture on cam due to many walls and pillars.
Attachment 331557
Attachment 331558
Attachment 331559

Fifteen minute jinx again!!!
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 11:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Jay, if possible, post some Gujarat coastal road pics as you go along - I'm curious to know how good/bad they are. The coastal roads are mostly state highway right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
The name of the company supplying diesel engines is "Greaves Cotton", not Crompton Greaves
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 12:58   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Good going, Jayant. Excellent pics too. Looking forward to the rest.

If you'd taken a half day out for a trip into the Gir sanctuary at this time of the year, you'd have almost certainly spotted some lions.

Time out has been a problem I've faced lately too, when posting my own travelogue (Gross Travelling Happiness - Bhutan, Sikkim, Darjeeling). Was advised to complete the write-up first and then upload and insert the pics all at once. Kind of breaks the rhythm of writing.
Quote:
Is the front end of the People Mover and Enfield? If Nifty breaks 5250, I'll soon be converting my Electra into one of those. :-(
Those chhakdas originally came with Harley chassis and Greaves single cylinder 500cc diesel engines (like the phatphat that was so common in Delhi till a few years ago), but nowadays an entire small scale industry has come up in various parts of GJ to manufacture them, chassis and all (much like the jugaad that is so common in Western UP).

Quote:
Evidence of British occupation everywhere you turn your head.
Portuguese...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th April 2010 at 13:06.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 16:29   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Those chhakdas originally came with Harley chassis and Greaves single cylinder 500cc diesel engines (like the phatphat that was so common in Delhi till a few years ago), but nowadays an entire small scale industry has come up in various parts of GJ to manufacture them, chassis and all (much like the jugaad that is so common in Western UP).
absolutely, there are still few of the originally built harley and greaves ones running but on rare chances to spot and find the difference, mainly saurashtra has comeup with the local assembly of their parts as you said jugaad.

Jay, excellent start up and nice pictures.The route via gir sanctury is awesome if you travel after the showers.Awaiting your another part.
Oh btw, many pictures are not uploading even after refreshing many a times.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 19:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

I will just post a whole bunch of pics that arent opening a little later. This 15 min time warp isnt good.

Didnt know its become so excruciatingly difficult to post a travelogue. Hats off to all those who have the patience and ability to post. Im going to finish this one somehow.

Sorry for the trubble folks and thank you for your enthusiasm.

Cheers
Old 18th April 2010, 19:59   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will just post a whole bunch of pics that arent opening a little later. This 15 min time warp isnt good.

Didnt know its become so excruciatingly difficult to post a travelogue. Hats off to all those who have the patience and ability to post. Im going to finish this one somehow.
Looks like there is a gremlin in either your browser or your internet connection. I have so far posted 850+ pics in my travelogue, and each of my travelogue post (text & pics) takes approximately one hour.

I have never faced this "15 minute time warp".
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 23:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Well thats why you are the "smartcat" and im not.
I recieved word from the moderators about posting within 15 mins of the pics ive uploaded are dumped by the server.
No problem with my browser either. If I log in to TBHP and am not active for about 5 minutes im automatically logged out. This is happening on all the computers im using. So im sure its not the comp nor the browsers. Others too have confirmed the 15 min time warp.

Also, day 3 onwards ive got a ton full of pics in very high res(experimenting with the camera). So the selection and downsizing is taking more time than i thought, since im a newbie with these large formats.

Regarding the road pics you asked for;

Ive been searching for the road pics if any and realized that we shot very few road pics. firstly because there was so much else to see and shoot and secondly the roads were really good in 2 lane and 4 lane highways. But I will post whatever I can find.