Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th April 2010, 18:34   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore to Kottayam via Kumli

Wassup Bhpians,

Its been a long time since i posted a topic here (The usual-work, no time blah blah)

Well had to travel down to Kerala for my Sisters wedding on April 18th (yea, it just finished and am posting up this travelogue so other travellers could benefit asap)
Well was planning to use the well travelled route of the NH 47 but had second thoughts and decided to consult the wikepida of automotive world (team-bhp.com) and voila read about this second route via dindgul-theni-kottayam....

had my doubts since most of the posts were minimum 6 months old but what the hell....aint nothing like an adventure....

so got into my Getz Crdi (broke the cardinal rules of checking my car before leaving)
The power steering had a leakage and would take a week-couldnot wait
The Brake pads had worn out - No Moolah so decided to risk it

Filled up at Shell Old Madras Road and left on 15th April 4:45 AM sharp
reached hosur road via silk board and proceeded the usual route.
What struck me was the amount of Toll Gates along the way. Shelled out approximately Rs. 200 and about 6 tolls. But superb roads... Touched 190 Km/hr (could not resist)
Went through Krishnagiri and reached Salem from there touched the Dindigul Route (you can trace the route through Google Maps or Wikimapia or the threads here.. its to the point) But at dindigul you will come to a route sign showing Palani to the right and Madurai as Straight. Take the right and you will get of the flyover. You will approach a Junction. Proceed straight and you will pass Dindigul Town on your left. At the Next immediate Junction, you will find a nondescript sign showing Theni 76 Kms
Plus the Wonderful roads end!!!
Now you will get 40 Feet winding roads..and Trust me WINDING IT IS!!!
Keep proceeding through the Roads..You will know you are on the right track when you will see a lot of KL Licence Plates Especially KL-05 (thats kottayam)
Then reach Kumli after a nice Hill Climb..Just when you thought everything is over...the see saw starts...up and down hills.... The Moment you enter Kerala...the scenery just SHIFTS...bright green greenery (is that even a sentence?) cool weather..spice gardens...tea gardens...do stop over at any restaurant for a typical Kerala portotha and meat...
You pass peermade...mundakayam...kanjirapalli...pampady...m anarkkad..and boom kottayam... we reached at sharp 5 Pm after an Hour and Half of Interval Breaks..

My Insights

- Roads are good..no sudden potholes hiding at the curves (unlike the goa trip)
- There is an unsual thingy at TN..most guys were coming up the wrong side and that too in the FAST LANE!!! (were they taught the US system of roads??) so please be careful..
- In kerala, i felt the drivers are ruthless..... overtaking..honking...shifting lanes etc..

But on the overall it was a great trip...sorry no photos since i wanted to reach home at the earliest before it rained

Cheers

Lionheart
lionheart133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 19:05   #2
BHPian

Cool drive !
190 KMPH !!!!! Hoooooohhhh !!!!! Too great on Indian Roads !

I remember visiting Kottayam 3 years back and also went on the hill station near by. I dont remember the name. It has some Business School over the hills .... a beautiful place !

Plz post some photos !
neo45007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 16:58   #3
BHPian

Yes, the place was - 'Vagamon Hills'.
Amazing place !

Has anybody been there ?
neo45007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Yes, the place was - 'Vagamon Hills'.
Amazing place !

Has anybody been there ?
Definitely yes . We did last year and you can read the travelogue here.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 10:19   #5
BHPian

I have done a route search in Google maps from Sarjapur road, Bangalore to Kottayam, kerala.

It shows a slightly different variant of the path we discussed here as:
Sarjapur Rd, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Kottayam, Kerala, India - Google Maps

Any idea how good this this route ? It does not go to Salem but via Erode it finally meets Theni. Route is only 573 kms.

Last edited by B103 : 26th May 2010 at 10:20.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 13:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Palani is standard. Just that you need not defer from NH7 till Perindurai. Just go along. Its worth it. At Dharapuram you will see the Palani road (before completion of 4L that was road folks used to take to go to Kodai).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 23:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
I have done a route search in Google maps from Sarjapur road, Bangalore to Kottayam, kerala.

It shows a slightly different variant of the path we discussed here as:
Sarjapur Rd, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India to Kottayam, Kerala, India - Google Maps

Any idea how good this this route ? It does not go to Salem but via Erode it finally meets Theni. Route is only 573 kms.
This one must be the Mettur - Bhavani - Dharapuram - Ottachanthram - Vattalgundu - Theni route.

Good roads - scenic ones too. But, occassional bad sections can be expected. Once you get out from NH7, roads are without the dividers - So, you will have to face oncoming traffic.

But, NH7 till Dindigul is superb and you will love it. It can take to to theni easily in 6Hrs (with small food breaks in between).
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote