Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th May 2010, 18:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, Agra - Budaun- Bareilly is a good two lane highway.
That is good news. Would that be a good route to take if you are going to Kumaon region from south side, avoiding Delhi?

Quote:
Omkareshwar and Amartkantak are two places in my list.
Jabalpur-Amarkantak has one of the worst roads in the country - does anyone know if it is better nowadays?

Quote:
hotel in Indore
Looks good! Which one? And how does one reach there?

Quote:
HVK saab, Will there be issues from the MP cops at the border areas? Though their penchance is for SUVs and van kind of vehicles, I don't want them to pull mine over for election duty. I'm not afraid of naxals. It's the corrupt cops that am afraid of!
Quote:
LDL traversed safely through MP in his Safari. I say a safari would be attractive for the MP cops for that election duty. Don't think they will stop a sedan with family.
Moreover just find out in the newspaper or online if there is any election in MP and you can plan accordingly
I don't think MP is that bad, mine was an exception. With family in the car, they wouldn't dare stop[ you.

Quote:
Mr. LDL he thought that the car must be of some VIP or VVIP going by the reg. plate (UP 32) and the car being a black Safari.
One of the techniques shah_sultan taught me during our joint GQ drive is that keep headlights on all day when you drive through UP, the cops think you are some VVIP and let you go.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 19:07   #77
Team-BHP Support

HVK,

I used to frequent the "Agra - Badaun - Barelli" route.

This route goes via Aligargh/Narora, which was one of the most horrible stretches. You dont get anything to eat. Tea stalls yes.

At Narora we cross Ganges and from there the roads used to be tad better till Chandausi. I never went to Badaun side that much. But the route towards Moradabad was much better and is also the preferred route to Nainital (via Rampur/Haldwani). Never taken that route though.

There is also a good railway connectivity from Delhi-Howrah main line, which branches at Aligarh and leads to Haridwar via Narora/Chandausi/Moradabad.

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2010 at 19:09.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 13:06   #78
BHPian

Answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is good news. Would that be a good route to take if you are going to Kumaon region from south side, avoiding Delhi?

Sir, I remember T-bhpian Biswajeet took this route on return during his 17 days Bangalore-UA pilgrimage tour in 2007 (read in his travelogue). Roads were pathetic then, I have traveled on those roads since my childhood.

This route is Agra-Etah-Kasganj-Budaun-Barelli-Haldwani-Nainital and further areas in Kumaun. Roads are now newly tarred now and proper two-lane. Yes, if one is heading to Nainital side and coming from Bhopal-Gwalior-Agra side, then no need to go to Delhi from Agra, this route can be taken, will be shorter.

Distances; Agra - Bareilly 215 km. - Haldwani 95 km - Nainatal (don't recall exactly, that'll be ghat section)
But, on this route when one crosses Ganga at a place 27 kms after Kasgang (at place known as Kachhla ghat), sometimes it takes 30-40 mints, as there is only one bridge for both train, as well as, road! Yes, that is a British period bridge. However, now construction is in full swing for two new separate bridges for train and road, and soon, that problem will be solved.

This is different then the Agra-Aligarh-Narora-Chandausi-Moradabad route mentioned by ampere. If one coming from Gwalior side and wants to go to Ramnagar, Jim Corbett side, one can take this route via Narora-Moradabad. But, I not uptodate with its corrent position, though can confirm it with brothers who use part of it for their business visits and visiting relatives.

But, HVK sir,
I must say, that our western UP is not safe for night travel, even for people like us who belong to those areas and know the places. Crime rate is high.

Looks good! Which one? And how does one reach there?

That is Hotel Baywatch on Khandwa road, Indore. reaching is simple, When coming from Mumbai side on NH3, take a left turn from a circle called Khandwa phatak (by locals) on Indore bypass. Move towards city side from that turn on Khandwa road, and it'll come on left hand. So its outside main city's crowed. But, actually, that is a pretty ordinary hotel! but suites our requirements.

One of the techniques shah_sultan taught me during our joint GQ drive is that keep headlights on all day when you drive through UP, the cops think you are some VVIP and let you go.
hehe.. as MX6 wrote, there is some innocence attached to it - the UP!

Day 3 story coming up soon..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 8th May 2010 at 13:10.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 19:34   #79
BHPian

DAY 3:

As wife was not feeling well and also with kids, early morning start was not possible. From Hotel at Jalgaon we proceeded to Ajanta. The road was 2laned but wide and in good condition. At Ajanta, there was huge rush of week-end tourists from Mumbai, Pune and nearby places. That was the holiday-time between Dec, 25-30, 2009. Anyway, we parked and went for MSRTC Bus that will take us to the caves. There were long ques, though whether was pleasing. To cut the long story short, we visited Ajanta caves, came back by bus, got some refreshment at tea-stalls there and proceeded to Aurangabad.

The plan was to visit either Daultabad or Biwi ka makbara and then go Shirdi, halt there for night, have early Darshan next morning, and reach Mumbai by noon around 2pm next day.

We have already decided to drop Ellora from the list when we were at Ajanta: Reasons: Heavy tourist rush there too reported by others at Ajanta, uneasiness of my wife continuing, felt enough of caves watching!

The route from Ajanta towards Aurangabad continued to be good, some curves/ghatish, which I always enjoy. Reached Aurangabad and straight rushed to the Bibi ka Makbara. It was late afternoon, but wheather was pleasant. We all got relaxed spending time at that 'Taj Mahal of South'.
After spending quite a lot time there, moved on towards Shirdi. The route taken (as told by some locals was desolate and had very little traffic). We didn't have proper lunch, just something here and there. Our daughter started for 'khaana' just after when we left A'bad. After around 30 mints we spotted a roadside dhaba on that otherwise desolate road, so pulled over there and had quite a break that included below average typical dhaba khaana and strong tea. Finally we reached Shirdi around 7.45 pm.

One interesting incident and day 3 pics coming up next.
Old 9th May 2010, 19:35   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
The Plan, we went with:

After consultation with HVK sir, and all the modifications, we decided to do the following:

Day1: Lucknow-Kanpur- Etawa- Gwaliar- Shivpuri- Guna- Beora (Night halt) -push, if possible, to -Devas- Indore (Night halt).
D2: Indore - Khandwa -Ajanta- Aurangabad (Night halt).
Little doubt LDL, Mapmyindia shows Lucknow-Kanpur-Kalpi-Orai-Jhansi-Shivpuri as NH-25 being shorter and direct route, any particular reason for not choosing this route.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 21:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Little doubt LDL, Mapmyindia shows Lucknow-Kanpur-Kalpi-Orai-Jhansi-Shivpuri as NH-25 being shorter and direct route, any particular reason for not choosing this route.
If I recollect right, LDL wanted to avoid the construction mess that was the Pukharayan Cross-Bhognipur-Orai-Jhansi stretch at that time, since the road was being widened, had lots of detours. Now that the road widening is more or less over, definitely it is the fastest and shortest route. MMI computers don't track bad and incomplete roads, but we do!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 06:03   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If I recollect right, LDL wanted to avoid the construction mess that was the Pukharayan Cross-Bhognipur-Orai-Jhansi stretch at that time, since the road was being widened, had lots of detours. Now that the road widening is more or less over, definitely it is the fastest and shortest route. MMI computers don't track bad and incomplete roads, but we do!
Ohh thats the reason. Thanks hvk sir. I was just casually mapping the route taken by LDL on MMI's website.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 08:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Ohh thats the reason. Thanks hvk sir. I was just casually mapping the route taken by LDL on MMI's website.
Yes, What HVK sir said was the precise reason, but, as we later found out, it didn't prove a smart choice. I think during daytime going via Jhansi route still could have taken less time! Now for our upcoming journey, we are sure going to take Khansi route only. Anyway, thanks setuniket for taking time to map the route, this reasoning and consequent value addition by members makes this forum so wonderful.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:25   #84
BHPian

DAY 3: Ajanta photos
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2010, 18:32   #85
BHPian

Day 3:
More Ajanta pics:
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2010, 18:47   #86
BHPian

DAY 3 pics Continuing..

Bibi Ka Makbara, Aurangabad
Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 10th May 2010 at 18:51.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:52   #87
BHPian

Sorry, 2nd pic in last post above is from Ajanta - i.e. the que for boarding Bus to the cave site. My apologies for the mistake.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:58   #88
BHPian

More Pics from Day 3:
Bibi Ka Makbara, Aurangabad
Attached Images

Old 10th May 2010, 19:15   #89
Team-BHP Support

LDL,

Snaps are not showing up.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:25   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
LDL,

Snaps are not showing up.
Oh no! here they are showing, fully loaded. Pl check after sometime.