Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th May 2010, 14:23   #106
BHPian

Only two pics showed up in previous post. So attaching the rest 2 too:
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04029.jpg  

LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:08   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The road seems to be LBS marg/ Ghodbunder road. Your daughter seems to be inspecting the I drive safe sticker on HVKs car.
And the man in light blue shirt is definitely the KING!
Hurray! Long live the king.
Yes. You spotted everything right. Despite, some controversies/ doubts expressed about his driving style, the fact is what my daughter is pointing at: The King indeed drive safe. Over 10 lakhs kms under his belt on all sorts of roads/ and no roads sometimes, is a testimony to it.

And you indeed are a 5*Sheff, so to say, in the context of our discussion above. BTW, khichdi is more nutritious and recommended these days by doctors. . On a serious note, I searched our elephanta pics, and they were very few and erratic, nothing worthy of eating out some bandwidth here. However, few pics from return journey coming up.
Old 18th May 2010, 17:26   #108
BHPian

Quote:
The road seems to be LBS marg/ Ghodbunder road. Your daughter seems to be inspecting the I drive safe sticker on HVKs car.
And the man in light blue shirt is definitely the KING!
Hurray! Long live the king.
Yes. You spotted everything right. Despite, some controversies/ doubts expressed about his driving style, the fact is what my daughter is pointing at: The King indeed drives safe. Over 10 lakhs kms under his belt on all sorts of roads/ and no roads sometimes, is a testimony to it.

Another pic of that meeting is above, where our Tigress had her share of proud moment, being lined up behind King's machine!

And you indeed are a 5*Sheff, so to say, in the context of our discussion above. BTW, khichdi is more nutritious and recommended these days by doctors. . On a serious note, I searched our elephanta pics, and they were very few and erratic, nothing worthy of eating out some bandwidth here. However, few pics from return journey coming up.

PS: Sorry mods for repeat post. I was editing the previous post and due to some net problem at our end, it got posted as a separate post! Pl delete the previous one.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 18th May 2010 at 17:33. Reason: Added Regret Note for repeat post
Old 19th May 2010, 09:29   #109
BHPian

Return Journey: Day 8 Pics:

After we left Thane at around 10.30 am, it was NH 8 all the way. Faced a traffic jam even before Virar toll gate, 30 mints wasted, then Virar toll gate took its own time, long ques of trucks. HVK Sir had told, you won't get good food before Surat. Eateries are there, but quality may not be good. I had thought to push till Surat for lunch, but it was getting late, co-passengers were asking for lunch break, so finally we had to stop for lunch before Surat.
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04084.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04087.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04101.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04114.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04019.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04124.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04067.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 10:01   #110
BHPian

We were about 80-90 kms away from Surat when we received a call from the King, and as usual, the precise words were, 'have you reached Surat or are reaching?' I told my co-passengers, see, had we not held up in jams/ slow traffic, and maintained momentum, we indeed could have reached Surat by now. Such precise are HVK's time estimations.

The restaurant we stopped at for lunch looked good, ambiance was nice, but food was tasteless, 'ek dum bekar khana'. The King proved right even here! But, the tea that we take after lunch was nice & strong; similarly, kids enjoyed icecreams. So that compensated somewhat.

That break took lot of time, and it was almost sunset time when we were crossing the famous/or infamous bridge over Narmada between Bharuch and Ankleswar. HVK sir had already given us tips on how to tackle jam at that bridge. So, it was overcome easily.

Pics follow..
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04173.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04160.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04181.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04188.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04204.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04209.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04216.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 17:47   #111
BHPian

We were running far behind the schedule. Our original target was to reach Udaipur for night halt. But that looked a distant possibility. We had thought to pay a visit to Akshardham temple in Gandhi nagar, if in time. When we reached Ahmadabad, it was around 7.30 pm. Vadodara - A'bad drive was fantastic. Though stopping on that beautiful NE 1 Expressway is prohibited, but our daughter forced me to pull over midway! For a pits stop, off course. I stopped to extreme left, put on hazards light, and hurriedly took daughter out for necessary call. The traffic was very less on NE1. I think majority of trucks take NH8!. On reaching A'bad, I called Ramky Sir, he suggested, temple'll be closed, so decided against going to Gandhi nagar, but, had nice talk with him. Thanks to HVK sir's directions, we spotted the SP Ring road in time and exited expressway. However, we missed the turn from SPRR to Himmatnagar/Udaipur, went lil further on ring road, then realized, asked locals, took a U turn, reverted for 2-3 kms, and then took the right turn to that 2 lane road that connects to NH 8 again. At that junction where we joined NH 8, stopped for 5 mints, got some biscuits/snacks. After that, I did some spirited driving, so as to make up. Finally we stopped at RTDC, Ratnapur just on the border where Rajasthan welcomes you in their own Rajputana style.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:54   #112
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad you missed Akshardham. It's a great place. And in case of emergency, one can always stop on the shoulder on any highways, with proper indication, manouver etc.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 18:07   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Sad you missed Akshardham. It's a great place. And in case of emergency, one can always stop on the shoulder on any highways, with proper indication, manouver etc.
Yes, but, A'bad will be on-way for several such journey, so we sure are going to visit the temple.
Old 25th May 2010, 13:17   #114
BHPian

Return journey ...concluding part
(Watch out for exciting night drive in scary weather!)

Let me finish this TL.

Day 2 of our return journey started late. I allowed time to family so that they are rested and freshened up with high spirits as it was going to be long and delayed day. Over 1000 kms were left, and I didn't want to have another night halt for this distance as 80 % of this was super-fast 4 lane route.

We came out of RTDC Motel, Ratanapur at 9.30am after breakfast and loading the luggage. Before that there was usual morning photo shoot of my family in Motel lawns. However, this photo session got extended to shoot that entry gate to Rajasthan border on NH 8. Finally we started around 10.20 am from there.

Before proceeding, few words and pics of RTDC Motel.
We all liked it very much. It is bang on NH 8. though we reached without informing and it was late 10.30pm, diner was about to close, yet, they immediately took orders, as we unloaded luggage into rooms and serviced dinner (simple, tasty, hygienic, north-Indian khaana) into our room. Also got morning tea and breakfast in time.

I have stayed and stopped at RTDC Hotels/Motels earlier also (during our Rajhasthan trip in Oct. 2009), and my opinion about them got further strengthened..That they are good and professionally managed organizations, and they specially care when you are with family.

Now the RTDC and Rajasthan entry gate pics.

More pics coming up. Its taking time to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04229.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04240.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04246.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 18:24   #115
BHPian

Somehow not able to post pics, though reduced size too, may be net is slow at my end!

Hence continuing with the story, will post pics tomorrow morning.

From Ratanapur to Udaipur was approx 116 kms, NH 8 was amazing with beautiful scenes. It was our 1st time on that route, weather was pleasant and we were fresh after good sleep and relaxed start. So we took it easy, enjoyed the landscape, ghatis road, stopped frequently for snaps, etc. But, all this meant time was being consumed.

Udaipur bypass was crowded with trucks, but, soon we managed our way onto super-express NH 76 with less traffic. Here onwards, I picked up speed and told co-passengers, we'll have lunch at Chittorgargh. However, we were late, so once momentum was gathered, we bypassed C'garh with that beautiful 4 lane desolate bypass,. I told co-passengers, going inside the city will take lot of time, hence, we decided to take lunch at Kota only which was some 180 kms away. We had stock of apples, snacks, biscuits, juice, etc. On this stretch I really did some zestful driving, roads were devoid of any traffic. At times, you wonder, why NHAI has spent so much money in this zone where hardly any vehicle to use such a superb, modern 4 lane road!

Kota bypass was incomplete. We knew it already so went inside city, asked for restaurant, finally stopped at a Jain Veg Restaurant for lunch at around 3.30 pm. Udaipur to Kota was a fast run, we all were hungry, had a relaxed 1 hr break. It refreshed up us all. Food was good.

Started at 4.30 pm from Kota city. Lucknow was still approx 600 kms away! Once out of Kota city, it was again same super-fast 4 lane road, 230 kms of pure bliss to Shivpuri, complete in all respect, including white markings. Again a spirited drive as traffic was very less. I had thought of having a strong tea at Shivpuri, but the road continued to be same 4 lane as we were bypassing Shivpuri town by a good 10-11 kms, I think around 7is pm (230 kms in 2.5 hrs!). It had become dark as it was winter, no tea shop visible on roadside, no point of leaving such lovely road and venture into city when signage started to flashing in like Jhansi 95 kms! So, we continued drive and reached Jhansi bypass by around 8.10pm. Now this was a welcome surprise for us! We have read that 4 laning is complete till Shivpuri, but were prepared fro old 2 lane road from Shivpuri to Jhansi. But, even that stretch was fully complete!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:20   #116
BHPian

Finally, pics are uploading today.

Morning photo session at RTDC, Ratnapur
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04279.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04280.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04297.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04298.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04307.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 12:32   #117
BHPian

Silky smooth road and Beautiful scenery around NH 8 (Raj-Guj. border to Udaipur)
Attached Thumbnails
A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04322.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04324.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04326.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04332.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04336.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04343.jpg  

A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow-dsc04385.jpg  

Old 10th June 2010, 14:42   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@LDL,

Sorry for the OT. Felt like penning this down. As Dickens said. Those were the best of times and those were the worst of times!

I had quite a time in Western UP Aligarh/Agra! Language was amazing and so was the land; Amazingly fertile, as I was mentioning in one of Laluk's Travelogues.

In fact I have never seen red carrots and Dark Green (Bottle Green) Water Melons on the Ganges waterlands but in these places only. Six months a year (near the winter periods) we never used to go to the market for vegetables. It was all at home !

For the rest six I had an Avon cycle (with one break) which I used to drive to the nearby market (so called "Haat" ) and lug around all the stuff, that I was supposed to buy.

Got my share of fun swimming in the mighty Ganges, much to my mom's discomfort.

The only problem was horrible roads to connect to Delhi.
Badaun, Dibai, Shikarpur and Bulandshahr were places with one of the most most worst road stretches, with tar actually available at some places.
Now I don't know how these places are.

The UPSRTC buses (at Aligarh) would wait to get filled. It is a rule, that no one should take the conductor's seat. If he was courteous enough the bus would come to the bus-stand, else it would start from the anywhere. It was up to us, to find, where the bus was?

Once the bus was full, the driver would drive out of the town and stop somewhere outside. He would not drive further till every one in the overflowing bus would have purchased a ticket. In all that crowd, tickets would be purchased and passed on through the standing crowd.

Traveling from Agra towards Moradabad was a nightmare. The last bus used to start by 3 in the noon. If one missed it, the only chance was to take a passenger train from Agra starting at 5PM. Which used cover a grand distance of 140 Km till Rajghat (on the Ganges) overnight reaching at 4 in the morning!

Such were my travels and travails! What a place! What place!
Quote:
Dude, consider this!
I once travelled jhansi to kanpur by some train (way back in 1996).
There were close to 300 people in the sleeper class coach, with 4 people lying on the middle berth, which had reservation on my name. I sat next to the wash basin (couldn't proceed beyond that in to the coach) right in between two armed cops. There was a handcuffed theif crouching below.
The cops kept nodding away, barely able to keep the eyes open. There was a station called Urai midway. One passenger comes to the lavatory, finds it too smelly and dirty, promptly turns and pees in the wash basin. The cops dozed off and the hand-cuffed theif deports with the mirror and a bulb (what will he do with a 12V bulb) from the toilet. Some one raises an alarm. Cops chase him. Slap him. Bring him back.
Before he's caught, he smashes the mirror and the bulb on the platform.
Once they reverted to earlier position, one of the cop snored blissfully, with his rifle slipping and falling/ pointing to my head. Another chatted with the theif in a friendly manner, borrowed a beedi from the theif and smoked to glory.
I'm sitting amidst all this, the smell of pee, the smoke of beedi, the slipping rifle, armed-cops and a street smart theif. And yes, not to forget 300 odd passengers sleeping blissfully in the bitter cold.

I love UP! There's a degree of innocence attatched to the place!
>>> ampere, MX6,

After an eternity, I find the right people (from western UP).
It makes me almost nostalgic, thinking about my days in Aligarh/Lucknow/my travels to Bareilly, Gabhana, Dibai, Agra,Meerut and to other places - Varanasi, Allahabad, Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Renukoot. I once travelled by an overnight bus from Varansai to Kanpur, sitting on my narrow suitcase, clinging onto the pole in the UPSRTC bus ( we didn't have pole dancers a decade or so ago)

And then there's the food - the chaats in Agra, the Awadhi cuisine in Lucknow, the lassi in Lanka, outside the BHU.

All strictly
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 13:28   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
After an eternity, I find the right people (from western UP).
It makes me almost nostalgic, thinking about my days in Aligarh/Lucknow/my travels to Bareilly, Gabhana, Dibai, Agra,Meerut and to other places - Varanasi, Allahabad, Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Renukoot.

And then there's the food - the chaats in Agra, the Awadhi cuisine in Lucknow, the lassi in Lanka, outside the BHU.
Hi issigonis,

Thanks for joining on the thread. Sorry for such a late response from my side. Lost track of this thread as we embarked on even a bigger trip then this, to Southern India.

Anyway, will complete the only last, but, interesting leg of this trip, that will remain the most important for me as it changed the concept of long-drive for me.

So, the experience of that challenging drive (Jhansi-Kanpur) on the night of Jan 2, 2010 in zero visibility, chilling & foggy night amidst horrible roads (4-laning in progress), is coming up shortly. Without which this story shall remain incomplete!
Old 16th July 2013, 23:29   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A road trip that changed my driving horizons! 3860 kms Lucknow-Mumbai-Lucknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
So, the experience of that challenging drive (Jhansi-Kanpur) on the night of Jan 2, 2010 in zero visibility, chilling & foggy night amidst horrible roads (4-laning in progress), is coming up shortly. Without which this story shall remain incomplete!
It's been close to 3 years and your *shortly* has been rather *longly* delayed. Let's have the rest of the story (if you still remember about it! ).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote