Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:37   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Superb high resolution photographs. Left wanting for more. Are more coming ? Thanks for sharing.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:08   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The vintage arms are simply beautiful to look. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Can't avoid taking a dig on you now Aargee.
Since when did Lalit become an arms dealer?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:53   #18
lsp
BHPian
 
lsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 380
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Thanks Fazal sir! Believe me there is much more to see in the city apart from the Palace and Jantar Mantar. Sadly, I haven't captured much of it. Well, lets leave something for the next trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Isp,
That is good photography and composition which gives us a nice glimpse in this beautiful tourism rich city, thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Thanks Sudevji
These pics are from my Oct 2008 trip. Haven't been to Jaipur in high summers myself to experience that but I rem seeing a program on TV which explained how the use of numerous windows and jharokhas helps in cooling the air and thus keeping the temp indoors substantially cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Lovely photologue!
Jaipur the timeless beauty and architecture is mesmerising.
Question: When did you visit? Recently? I am told that despite high temperature outside the rooms inside always remain cool. Have not had the opportunity to check this out in high summer.
Thanks Argee!!
I use the Canon S1IS 3.2Mpx, 10X zoom

6606 is the Samrat Yantra (Supreme Instrument). It's the world's largest Sundial standing 27 mtr high. Think of it as a larger version of 6611. The steps lead to the Chhatri (cupola) from where Time, monsoon, eclipses used to be announced.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jantar_Mantar_(Jaipur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Lalit, the pics are simply awesome; what's the camera? I just can help thinking how people lived in the palace in those times. The vintage arms are simply beautiful to look. Thanks for sharing it with us.

What're the long steps in pic 6606? Are they some kind of watch tower?
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:27   #19
lsp
BHPian
 
lsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 380
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Thanks Pervez!! Sorry, thats about it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Superb high resolution photographs. Left wanting for more. Are more coming ? Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Can't avoid taking a dig on you now Aargee.
Since when did Lalit become an arms dealer?
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:41   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune, Jaipur
Posts: 76
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-jaivanalargest-cannon-wheels.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-jaivana2largest-cannon-wheels.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-barrel-jaivana.jpg

The Jaivana (Hindi: जयवाण) cannon a wheeled cannon.

The length of the barrel of the cannon is 20 feet 2 inches and it weighs 50 tons. The circumference near the tip of the barrel is 7 feet 4 inches and that of the rear is 9 feet 4 inches. The barrel has floral design. An elephant rests on the tip of the barrel and a pair of peacocks are carved in the centre. A pair of ducks also decorates the rear of the barrel. The diameter of the bore of the barrel is 11 inches and the thickness of the barrel at the tip is 8-1/2 inches. The thickness gradually increases as one moves towards the rear of the barrel. The two thick rings on the barrel were used for lifting it with the help of a crane which, though incomplete, is still lying in Jaigarh.

Source: Jaivana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 00:16   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune, Jaipur
Posts: 76
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-amber-fort-view-jaigarh.jpg

The aerial view of Amber Palace as seen from Jaigarh.

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-jalmahallakepalace.jpg

Jal Mahal (meaning “Water Palace”) is a palace located in the middle of the Man Sagar Lake in Jaipur city, the capital of the state of Rajasthan, India. The palace and the lake around it were renovated and enlarged in the 18th century by Maharaja Jai Singh II of Amber.[1][2]

Source: Jal Mahal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Jaipur - A Photo Essay-kanak-ghati-vrindawan.jpg

A view of Kanak Vrindawan and Kanak Ghati. You can slo see the dam (Top right corner) in red stone built to store water for Jal Mahal.

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-ajmerigate.jpg

The old Jaipur City is fortified with huge walls and there are around 5 gates that provide entry to the old City. This is one of the 5 gates known as Ajmeri Gate.
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 00:22   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune, Jaipur
Posts: 76
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-royal-kitchen-jaigarh.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-royal-kitchen-jaigarh2.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-grinding-grains-days-food.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-royal-ladies-having-food.jpg

Jaipur - A Photo Essay-royal-ladies-having-food2.jpg
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 00:55   #23
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Narita
Posts: 866
Thanked: 1,630 Times
Default

Lalit, really great photography there. Planning to visit Jaipur by end of this year. Would be helpful if you could list out the places you visited.
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 12:40   #24
BHPian
 
sami316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 469
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Lalit,

Amazing pics you got there. Really awesome. Now after going through this pics, I realized that I should have added Jaipur to my itinerary for my B'lore to Delhi Roadtrip which I did earlier this year. I just passed through Jaipur to and fro without any halts. But will make sure that I go here in my future trips. Insha Allah. Thanks again for the pics. Cheers!!
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 13:00   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

I am glad to see so many beautifull pictures of my city. Infact one thing that the politicians + bureaucrats have excelled in the LAST FEW YEARS is beautifying the city to attract more tourists to the city.

Apart from the regular tourist places I will list a few more places that you guys should visit whenever you intend to visit Jaipur (obviously time permitting)

1. Amber light and sound show
2. jaldhara - a stretch of 800mtrs long rain water drain that has been cleaned and made a walk way along a fresh water stream with fountains light and music
3. Jawahar Kala Kendra - for people who are culturally oriented. Keep an eye on activities happening there e.g classical music, plays, fairs etc etc
4. Jal mahal by night :- its beautifully lit up these days and the water is amazingly clean. Big change from the stink it use to give till a few years back.
5. Jhalana forest area :- entry from Malviya Industrial area, you could walk/drive to the Vaishno Mata mandir from the entry and witness in the surrounding jungle some wild animals mostly deers, neel guy, foxes, langurs and if you lucky leoprads too. Very very green during the rains.
6. Gadh Ganesh Temple:- situated on a hillock, the temple overlooks the entire city. Climbing up the few 1000 steps (not sure) to get the most amazing view of the city by night makes it very satisfying.

regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:15   #26
lsp
BHPian
 
lsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 380
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

daredeviljpr
Lovely pics u added mate. The canon looks impressive. the pigeon has no idea where it is sitting. From what I read, the canon has a range, reportedly, close to 40kms. DAMN!!!

I've been to the Amber fort. Isn't it called 'Aamer' in hindi? There lies the pond which also featured in the movie Rang De Baanti.

Which is this place where you have shot the mannequins?

@Viju
Thanks!! The pics that you see in my posts are Hawa Mahal & from the Jaipur palace and Jantar mantar. Apart from these places you can also try the various forts like amber fort. do visit the Jhaveri bazaar in the old city which is famous for the many jewellery shops. I got my sisters earrings and they still like them so I am bound to believe that the stuff you get here is good. I must confess I have no idea about jewellery as such. Another thing typical of Jaipur is the Maharani saree. Then there is the 'ethnic 5 star village' of Choki Dhani. Personally m not a big fan of such 'villages' which are far from the truth.

I think daredeviljpr and deky can better guide you and add to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Lalit, really great photography there. Planning to visit Jaipur by end of this year. Would be helpful if you could list out the places you visited.
@Sami
Thanks!! God willing you will see jaipur with your own eyes one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Lalit,

Amazing pics you got there. Really awesome. Now after going through this pics, I realized that I should have added Jaipur to my itinerary for my B'lore to Delhi Roadtrip which I did earlier this year. I just passed through Jaipur to and fro without any halts. But will make sure that I go here in my future trips. Insha Allah. Thanks again for the pics. Cheers!!
@Deky
thanks for the list. I dont think I've visited any of these. Will keep in mind for the next visit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I am glad to see so many beautifull pictures of my city. Infact one thing that the politicians + bureaucrats have excelled in the LAST FEW YEARS is beautifying the city to attract more tourists to the city.

Apart from the regular tourist places I will list a few more places that you guys should visit whenever you intend to visit Jaipur (obviously time permitting)

1. Amber light and sound show
2. jaldhara - a stretch of 800mtrs long rain water drain that has been cleaned and made a walk way along a fresh water stream with fountains light and music
3. Jawahar Kala Kendra - for people who are culturally oriented. Keep an eye on activities happening there e.g classical music, plays, fairs etc etc
4. Jal mahal by night :- its beautifully lit up these days and the water is amazingly clean. Big change from the stink it use to give till a few years back.
5. Jhalana forest area :- entry from Malviya Industrial area, you could walk/drive to the Vaishno Mata mandir from the entry and witness in the surrounding jungle some wild animals mostly deers, neel guy, foxes, langurs and if you lucky leoprads too. Very very green during the rains.
6. Gadh Ganesh Temple:- situated on a hillock, the temple overlooks the entire city. Climbing up the few 1000 steps (not sure) to get the most amazing view of the city by night makes it very satisfying.

regards
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 19:03   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune, Jaipur
Posts: 76
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
daredeviljpr
Lovely pics u added mate. The canon looks impressive. the pigeon has no idea where it is sitting. From what I read, the canon has a range, reportedly, close to 40kms. DAMN!!!

I've been to the Amber fort. Isn't it called 'Aamer' in hindi? There lies the pond which also featured in the movie Rang De Baanti.

Which is this place where you have shot the mannequins?
Thank You @lsp.

It is called Amer (आमेर) in Hindi. There are 3 forts the Amer Fort, Jaigarh and Nahargarh. I guess the pond should be in either of these three.

The mannequins are from Jaigarh Fort. It towards the center of the fort where there numerous hallways which are mostly dark. he Fort is kind of a maze and is not easy to locate. I have visited Jaigarh Fort numerous times in the past but saw these mannequins this year for the first time.
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 09:27   #28
lsp
BHPian
 
lsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 380
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

Oh yes, now I rem, going to the Nahargarh fort as well as Amer fort. Both of them were done in another trip in Dec the same year. We visited the forts at night. Quite a breathtaking view of the city from there at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredeviljpr View Post
Thank You @lsp.

It is called Amer (आमेर) in Hindi. There are 3 forts the Amer Fort, Jaigarh and Nahargarh. I guess the pond should be in either of these three.

The mannequins are from Jaigarh Fort. It towards the center of the fort where there numerous hallways which are mostly dark. he Fort is kind of a maze and is not easy to locate. I have visited Jaigarh Fort numerous times in the past but saw these mannequins this year for the first time.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Delhi F1 photo essay - The Fat Cat and Junior go to "The Races" navin Indian Motorsport 1 1st November 2013 11:32
Family Vacation In Maldives - An Essay genesis Travelogues 75 15th November 2011 10:56
Jaipur -Delhi- Rudrapur - Kanpur - Delhi/Jaipur deky Route / Travel Queries 11 2nd December 2009 15:08
Bmw 1 series 3 door photo(chopped) _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 2 5th October 2004 05:35
Photo : All 4 generations of the M5 GTO The International Automotive Scene 9 15th September 2004 18:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks