Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 17:09   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Here is the last leg of our travel which is Singapore. On the bridge to Singapore there was a long queue of trucks and we were stuck for around 15 mts at a turn becuase of a huge trailer blocking the way. There are separate queue for Buses, Cars and trucks and we soon got in to the immigration and customs. You need to off-load all your baggage and clear the check gates (word of caution - unlike other courtiers you cannot bring any Cigies and Liquor to Singapore), here unlike Malaysia we saw stern unsmiling officers. Once cleared it was another 1 hour drive to our Hotel (Park Royal on Beach Road)

Bridge to Singapore

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-0img_0162.jpg

Went for the night safari the same day, felt it was more hyped and didn’t enjoy much. Later understood that it was best enjoyed on foot and not on the tram ride we had. Enjoyed the short show on nocturnal creatures.

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-1img_7691.jpg

Enjoyed some huge burgers and watched the electrifying and funny tribal dance

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0180.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0230.jpg

With Deva in front of the most important landmark in Singapore, but I thought it used to have a fountain of water coming from his mouth. To my surprise I found a 4 miniature feet version nearby spiting water.

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0276.jpg

Singapore flier provides a good view of the city and is the biggest in the world, yes it is bigger than London eye

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0293.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0328.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0334.jpg

This guy is an amphibian and offers a city tour on both land sea, look at the huge wheels

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0345.jpg

Coach from Santosa car park to different points in the island. They operate free mono rail and buses in the island

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0376.jpg

Dolphin show

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0394.jpg

Do you notice anything unusual in this snap? Why is water not flowing through that hole where Deva had put his hand in..

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0412.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0415.jpg

I would have loved this guy on my dinner plate

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0475.jpg

Seal show was funny

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0484.jpg


It was raining and we had to buy this outfit for 5$

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0509.jpg

Light & Sound show was brilliant

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0518.jpg

Universal studio has opened here last month, there are few things yet to open, but was worth spending a day here.

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0560.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0567.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0575.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0601.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0620.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0656.jpg


Feathery friends at Jurong. Amazing to see their shows, can’t believe they can be trained to do all these tricks

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0746.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0781.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0818.jpg

Highlight of the whole trip was this lunch hosted by my dear friend Mr.George and family at Long beach (not the God Father fame). They had the best crab they have ever tasted, it was so huge 4 adults and 3 kids could not finish it.. But George managed it finally..

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0861.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0877.jpg

Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0879.jpg
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:22   #17
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Thanks for sharing the Sentosa / Universal Studios theme park photos. They are awesome. Seems my next international trip could be via Singapore. Anyway I love to fly SQ and so the stopover has a good reason.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:23   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

One of those lori-es bit my ear once. The singapore flyer looks real huge. But I used to get a great view of singapore from the cable car. Does that still operate there? Universal in singapore looks exciting. I used to go over to the studios in Orlando once a month for over a year!
Was the light and sound show still about KiKi the monkey? It does look like. That was the only thing I saw more than twice when in Singapore - the magical fountain.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:53   #19
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Thanks for sharing the Sentosa / Universal Studios theme park photos. They are awesome. Seems my next international trip could be via Singapore. Anyway I love to fly SQ and so the stopover has a good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
One of those lori-es bit my ear once. The singapore flyer looks real huge. But I used to get a great view of singapore from the cable car. Does that still operate there? Universal in singapore looks exciting. I used to go over to the studios in Orlando once a month for over a year!
Was the light and sound show still about KiKi the monkey? It does look like. That was the only thing I saw more than twice when in Singapore - the magical fountain.
Thanks for your encouraging comments, else I would not have completed this travelogue.

Cable car is still operational but didn’t try it since we did it in Langkawi. Sounds of sea is now playing a story about a lost princess and few Nemo characters around it (not sure whether it had a name)

Casinos are also open now is Universal.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 11:52   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Fantastic !! I am very sure your wife and kids must be super happy with the tour !

Thanks for sharing details and deviating from original plan. For sure, my next holiday trip is going to be Singapore one. Did you picked up any tour or tailored it yourself only ??
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 12:42   #21
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Fantastic !! I am very sure your wife and kids must be super happy with the tour !

Thanks for sharing details and deviating from original plan. For sure, my next holiday trip is going to be Singapore one. Did you picked up any tour or tailored it yourself only ??
Ashish - We all loved the trip. Kids will enjoy Singapore for Universal and Santosa. We used a travel agent but trip was customized on our preferences and not with a group. If you are planning only Singapore I feel you can go on your own. Book the hotel online and plan your visits, once there you can use cabs (not very expensive) or the public transport. Let me know if you need any further details
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:52   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BRMT
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

@gadadhar,
nice pics.
i need some info about bus you had taken from kl to singapore.
in my next trip to singapore, we may opt for bus ride from kl-sing.
which bus service you had taken and at what cost?
from which place in kl the bus starts?
do adv reservation required?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 7th May 2010 at 15:58.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 16:14   #23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@gadadhar,
nice pics.
i need some info about bus you had taken from kl to singapore.
in my next trip to singapore, we may opt for bus ride from kl-sing.
which bus service you had taken and at what cost?
from which place in kl the bus starts?
do adv reservation required?
Thanks Ashish. We had used a travel agent and they had done all the bookings for us. The coach (they call there buses like that) we used was First Coach, they have online booking Firstcoach - Coach & Travel One-Stop-Shop

Coaches are expensive than AA I heard (if you get cheap air rates), but is worth a ride to catch a good view of Malaysia and is very comfortable.

Hope this helps
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 22:15   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi gadhadhar

Good travelogue. I liked all the pictures, but the one i liked most was your son sporting a snake garland. indeed he is very brave.

StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 22:31   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,595
Thanked: 8,568 Times
Default

Nice Travelogue!

Your son is going the MX6 way !
Love for snakes?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 23:12   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@gadadhar,
nice pics.
i need some info about bus you had taken from kl to singapore.
in my next trip to singapore, we may opt for bus ride from kl-sing.
which bus service you had taken and at what cost?
from which place in kl the bus starts?
do adv reservation required?
Rajababu. I told you about the coaches from KL to singapore, through JB well ahead of your planned trip with the 15 other raja babus. But you went low cost airlines all the way. Check one of your own threads for details I posted!
You get package trips organised by many operators. Konsortium is a major operator there.
I'd suggest you to try this instead. Go to Puduraya and you find buses departing every 15 mins to Singapore! Those days tickets used to be as cheap as 10 MYR. Also if you book the return from KL itself you get to pay the same amount. From singapore they charge you the same but in SGD and with current conversion rates, it will be twice the cost of getting tickets from KL.
It gets even cheaper if you travel from KL to JB and back in a bus and take the singapore bus that starts from JB across the border to Kranji / woodlands.
Coach takes roughly same time to reach singapore like your Low cost airlines inclusive of time to airport/ check-in/ immigration/ security/ travel/ immigration at singapore/ customs etc.
But route is very scenic.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 23:55   #27
BHPian
 
arindamray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 79 Times
Default in 2006

We have done the same three places, but in the order of singapore - langkawi - kuala lampur, in 2006.

Sharing some pics from that trip:

Bird show at Jurong Bird Park
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0852.jpg

Jurong has got special environment created for Penguins
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0868.jpg

After night safari (we avoided the tram, and it was a nice experience by foot) the food court was inviting
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0876.jpg

The tables back then didn't had the zebra pattern
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0877.jpg

Little India
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0889.jpg

Singapore Metro
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0893.jpg

We took the cable car to Sentosa
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0899.jpg

Looking down from cable car
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0902.jpg

Inside the oceanarium
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0914.jpg

Leaving Singapore - in Changi
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0950.jpg
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 00:26   #28
BHPian
 
arindamray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 79 Times
Default photos from Langkawi

Note to mods: Creating separate post to demarcate photos from different location.

Swiming pool at the resort at Langkawi
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0970.jpg

We took a bike, grabbed a map and toured the island. It is only 20 km in diameter.
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0971c.jpg

The beaches are inviting
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0973.jpg

I couldn't resist myself for long
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0975.jpg

This one was my laptop wallpaper for long time
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0982.jpg

We crossed other vehicles occasionaly on the road with green foilage both the side
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1000.jpg

Seafood Dinner at a restaurant in Kuah town. Mmmm... delicious....
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_0986.jpg

Parting shot at Langkawi, yes we flew Air Asia
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1006.jpg

KL - first place to visit was petronas towers
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1012.jpg

It is ONLY 255 times taller than me
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1021.jpg

We went up to skybridge
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1028.jpg

Random view down from skybridge
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1033.jpg

Another landmark of KL, KL Towers
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1014.jpg

From top of KL Tower, we got a nice view of Petronas
Langkawi Malaysia – Little paradise on earth.-img_1057c.jpg

Rest of the time in KL was spent in visiting malls and trying different cuisines - thai, spanish, lebanese. Not been to Genting or Batu Caves.

Last edited by arindamray : 8th May 2010 at 00:35.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 00:40   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

I loved the view up from menara kl more than the ones from up the petronas. Why do people only clamber up the sky bridge?

@gadhadhar. Your son has so many fans in singapore already. check out photo 0509!

Last edited by MX6 : 8th May 2010 at 00:41.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 12:23   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Ashish - We all loved the trip. Kids will enjoy Singapore for Universal and Santosa. We used a travel agent but trip was customized on our preferences and not with a group. If you are planning only Singapore I feel you can go on your own. Book the hotel online and plan your visits, once there you can use cabs (not very expensive) or the public transport. Let me know if you need any further details
Most-probably I'll be planning the same trip as of yours, Can you share the tour operator no. and approx cost per person over PM.

Will for sure ping-in future as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Rajababu. I told you about the coaches from KL to singapore, through JB well ahead of your planned trip with the 15 other raja babus. But you went low cost airlines all the way. Check one of your own threads for details I posted!
You get package trips organised by many operators. Konsortium is a major operator there.
I'd suggest you to try this instead. Go to Puduraya and you find buses departing every 15 mins to Singapore! Those days tickets used to be as cheap as 10 MYR. Also if you book the return from KL itself you get to pay the same amount. From singapore they charge you the same but in SGD and with current conversion rates, it will be twice the cost of getting tickets from KL.
It gets even cheaper if you travel from KL to JB and back in a bus and take the singapore bus that starts from JB across the border to Kranji / woodlands.
Coach takes roughly same time to reach singapore like your Low cost airlines inclusive of time to airport/ check-in/ immigration/ security/ travel/ immigration at singapore/ customs etc.
But route is very scenic.
Thanks for the tip !!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Langkawi Malaysia - A pictologue Lukeskywalker Travelogues 13 26th July 2012 17:19
Langkawi- Paradise Regained Lukeskywalker Travelogues 34 30th November 2009 16:06
Pulau Langkawi- A small piece of Paradise on earth. Lukeskywalker Travelogues 8 19th November 2008 09:28
Munnar! The heaven on this earth. A lover's paradise mclaren1885 Travelogues 74 13th November 2008 17:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:38.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks