Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th May 2010, 16:41   #16
BHPian

Fallen tree - after effect of evening rain. So, be careful while driving in the rain or just after rain.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0155.jpg

Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0156.jpg

A view of the "bad" section of road. The surface is gone, but ok.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0157.jpg

Forest view from the road. Good roads - recently laid.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0158.jpg

Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0159.jpg

Somewhere here, we noticed a road going in to the forest. Stopped and entered the forest for a quick walk. I got bitten by two leaches which I realised only while taking bath in the night. Never expected leaches in summer.

Could feel that we are nearing the end of forest and there he is - the Sub Inspector of Police from Malakkappara station - waiting on the road side. Signalled me to stop. He checked the driving license, RC book, enquired whereabouts and allowed us to go.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0160.jpg
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 19:00   #17
BHPian

Two more check posts to write the vehicle details. At Kerala check post, mine was the 101th vehicle on that day. The TN check post guy asked for Rs10/-. Gave that and crossed the check post by 5:30pm.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0161.jpg

Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0162.jpg

Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0163.jpg

We knew we were going to miss the Aaliyar dam view because it was nearing sunset. Quickly passed through Valparai and spotted the lone wildlife - one deer on the road. Started climbing up again towards Pollachi. After sometime, reached top of hill and started the downhill journey.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0164.jpg

My old camera could not pick the complete beauty.
Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0165.jpg

Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala-klapr0166.jpg

Touched Pollachi by 8:00pm and got in to a huge traffic jam after getting in to Palakkad road. There were diversions and locals helped us to get out through some small roads to the highway back again. Reached Palakkad by 9:30pm. While taking bath, saw the blood stain on the clothes and leg - leaches. Next day morning, searched the car and found both the leaches lying dead below the driver seat. There were itching on the leg for a week where the leaches bit.

Next day, started to Bangalore at 7:30am through Salem and reached at 2:30pm with a 30mins break for lunch at Thoppur Ghar Dhaba.

That marked the end of April trips.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 17:04   #18
BHPian

Hello Biju KS, would you be able to give me an update on the road from Adimaly-Rajakkad and Poopara. I am planning on travelling from Muvattupuzha to Trichy. Are the roads in good condition and is it safe to travel during the night
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 18:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Hello Biju KS, would you be able to give me an update on the road from Adimaly-Rajakkad and Poopara. I am planning on travelling from Muvattupuzha to Trichy. Are the roads in good condition and is it safe to travel during the night
I would not advice to drive at night on the Munnar stretch.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 19:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would not advice to drive at night on the Munnar stretch.
Any reason for this ?
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 19:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Any reason for this ?
Wow good to see you back after a long time!
Why I mentioned was there some of those stretches are one-way (steep and narrow) and real blinders.

Its not that it cannot be done, but some how I felt, it was risky. Summer may be OK, but winter strict no-no for me at least.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 21:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you access Ponmudi from Munnar. Is this near Rajakkad?
I remeber in one of my very early trips (some 12 years ago) I've been to a similar place. Some one just took me there, so now idea how I got there.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote