Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th May 2010, 23:17   #16
BHPian

Default Why I chose to stay at Baghira Log Hut, Kanha

I chose Baghira Log Hut for just one reason - LOCATION. While most good private resorts in the Kisli side are 5-10 km away (in the direction of civilization) from the Khatia gate of the park, this govt-run lodge is 4km inside through this gate. The lodge is at the edge where the buffer zone and core zone meet and is about 300m from the Kisli gate. The lodge is not fenced and is built with minimal damage to the forest. All A/C deluxe rooms face a large meadow in the core zone on one side and buffer forest with a water hole on the other. At night, it is a bit scary to walk from the room to the main building where dinner is served. This 100m stretch is poorly lit with dark forest all around.
At BLH, it's safari time all through the day and for that you don't even have to step out of your room. A lot of animals keep moving through the property all day (and night too). We spotted jackals, peacocks, bisons, wild dogs, deers, monkeys and wild boars right at the lodge or in the meadow in front of our rooms. In fact, we spotted more wild dogs at the water hole next to our lodge than in our safaris deep inside Kanha zone.

Enough of writing. Over to photos of Baghira Log Hut
Attached Thumbnails
A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0280_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0278_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0306_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0308_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0318_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0312_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-blh.jpg  

sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 23:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sabynag,
That was a wonderful trip to the lands of the tiger.
Went through every word and line from you, very informative.
However your travelogue would be more complete if there are images of the jungles of Bandharvgarh and Kanha and wildlife captured there.
I am sure you must be having tons of them, awaiting the downpour.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 23:51   #18
BHPian

Default First Day, First Show at Kanha

Photos from the very first round of safari in Kanha zone. FYI, the tourism area of Kanha National Park is divided into three large zones each with its own entry gate (but entry can be made from any other gate too). These are Kanha, Mukki and Sarhi. Kanha is the centre of all attractions and most tourists rush to this zone for tiger sighting. Tiger sighting in this zone is relatively higher for two reasons - Kanha zone has large open meadows making it easier to spot a tiger even at a distance and since most jeeps make rounds here, if one sees the tiger everyone rushes to the same spot multiplying the viewership. At any given slot (morning or evening), as many as 63 jeeps are allowed to enter Kanha zone. When 63 jeeps search for a tiger in all directions, chances go up naturally.
Kanha and Mukki zones also organize Tiger shows every morning. It is basically a circus wherein 5-6 forest department elephants search for a resting tiger in the bushes. If one is found, it radios the message to all other mahouts who all come and surround the hapless king. The tourists are then asked to come close to the point where they board the elephant to go and see the tiger at a close distance for about 2-3 minutes.
The Sarhi zone, on the other hand is for the ones who have seen enough tigers and now want to see wildlife that is exclusive to Sarhi zone only - Blue Bull and Barasingha. Barasinghas are seen in all zones but it is the Sarhi zone that has large groups of barasinghas. Sarhi zone, not being popular with the tiger tourists, gets less number of jeeps if at all it gets any. We were the only jeep on the day we toured this zone - just imagine, when 63 jeeps were combing Kanha, we got the whole Sarhi zone exclusive to us.
Attached Thumbnails
A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0048_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0052_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0056_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0059_compressed.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 00:25   #19
BHPian

Default First Day, Second Show at Kanha

Morning was only a Tiger show - that too of a sleeping male tiger. Yeh dil maange more - so headed back to the heart of Kanha again in the evening. Two hours of combing resulted in nothing except fresh pugmarks of a tigress and alarm calls from a barking deer which was looking very scared. We were returning disappointed when the King decided to make a grand appearance near Shravan Tal. Most jeeps left the center of Kanha by that time (around 6pm) and so the sighting was exclusive for about 10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0080_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0093_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0097_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0098_compressed.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 00:58   #20
BHPian

Default Kanha has a lot to offer than just tigers

In our chase to see a tiger, we miss out a lot of Kanha everytime. This time, I was determined to see as much Kanha as I could and not just the Tiger. I made a rapport with my safari driver and asked him to show me KANHA and not tigers.
Attached Thumbnails
A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0069_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0113_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0121_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0129_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0330_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0332_compressed.jpg  

Old 7th May 2010, 09:19   #21
BHPian

Awesome Thread, rated 5 Stars and three cheers!
It's the first thread with so much detailed and amazingly to the point information on wildlife touring. Going to be my reference thread for such tours.

And, Baghira Lodge is totally worth the price. Need to start saving.
Continue the great work.

~~~~~~~~~~~
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 09:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Amazing snaps, especially the herd of Gaurs, the walking tiger, dancing peacocks and the bathing jackals! Waiting for more, please keep going. Voted 5 Star
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 11:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Wow! Amazing snaps, especially the herd of Gaurs, the walking tiger, dancing peacocks and the bathing jackals! Waiting for more, please keep going. Voted 5 Star
The bathing ones are not jackals but wild dogs (dhole). Don't go by their size and innocent looks, they are known as the most dangerous hunters in the wild. They hunt as a team and can ground any animal including tigers. In Bandipur, one tiger was killed by a pack of wild dogs over a dispute on a prey.
Dholes are the only hunters which start eating even before the prey is killed. In many cases, the prey dies of shock than injury !
Dhole sighting is considered extremely rare in any forest (exception : Bandipur) but this time I was lucky to see them for hours and so could observe their highly coordinated team game. Even for drinking water, they took all precautions. They were three in number (probably a part of the pack) - they were not moving together but kept a distance from each other. Then two of them came and played at the water while the third was keeping an eye on the area at a distance. Once the first two were done, then came the third one at the water while the first two went back to the guard position. They always ensure that you can't attack the whole group at one go and if you attack only a part of the group, you never know where the others are and you can get ambushed easily. If you want to learn how to ambush, watch dholes !
Old 7th May 2010, 12:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
The bathing ones are not jackals but wild dogs (dhole). Don't go by their size and innocent looks, they are known as the most dangerous hunters in the wild. They hunt as a team and can ground any animal including tigers. In Bandipur, one tiger was killed by a pack of wild dogs over a dispute on a prey.
Dholes are the only hunters which start eating even before the prey is killed. In many cases, the prey dies of shock than injury !
Dhole sighting is considered extremely rare in any forest (exception : Bandipur) but this time I was lucky to see them for hours and so could observe their highly coordinated team game. Even for drinking water, they took all precautions. They were three in number (probably a part of the pack) - they were not moving together but kept a distance from each other. Then two of them came and played at the water while the third was keeping an eye on the area at a distance. Once the first two were done, then came the third one at the water while the first two went back to the guard position. They always ensure that you can't attack the whole group at one go and if you attack only a part of the group, you never know where the others are and you can get ambushed easily. If you want to learn how to ambush, watch dholes !
Thanks for the correction. Infact i saw a group once when I passed Bandipur but thought its Jackal and was trying to shoot some snaps venturing closer to them and never know they were such ferocious . Good that I know atleast now!
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Thanks for the correction. Infact i saw a group once when I passed Bandipur but thought its Jackal and was trying to shoot some snaps venturing closer to them and never know they were such ferocious . Good that I know atleast now!
Whether its wild dogs or other wise it is not advisable to get off your vehicle in order to get pictures. Its extremely dangerous and most animals can out run a human being on foot.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 15:52   #26
BHPian

Hi sabynag

This is like watching a Discovery channel , you feel so good/thrilled to watch wild life so near by. Great PICS !!!!
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 19:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Awesome. Beautiful pics. Reminds me of my trip to Ranthambore sometime back. Got to see not one but 2 tigers. I m happy to see the that these beautiful cats have not been wiped clean by the very disgusting animals called poachers.

I watched one of them just laze around and yawn (and in the process, I saw the cat's gorgeous fangs). And that roar ........ its to die for. Most beautiful sound on god's green earth.
Urban_Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 13:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Awesome. Beautiful pics. Reminds me of my trip to Ranthambore sometime back. Got to see not one but 2 tigers. I m happy to see the that these beautiful cats have not been wiped clean by the very disgusting animals called poachers.

I watched one of them just laze around and yawn (and in the process, I saw the cat's gorgeous fangs). And that roar ........ its to die for. Most beautiful sound on god's green earth.
Ranthambore is one of my favorites too - not only for big cats but also for the fact that this is the only park in India to deploy a transparent, easy and eco-friendly system for jeep safaris. Unlike any other park in India, at Ranthambore, they ensure that for a given number of tourists, the least possible number of jeeps/trucks enter the forest keeping pollution level at minimum possible along with less disturbances to the animals. I fail to understand why the same model couldn't be implemented in other parks (particularly in north/central India) as well.
In MP, it is encouraged to take private jeeps instead of sharing. While this helps with employment guarranty (2 locals get job per jeep), it is certainly not eco-friendly. A ticket system like Ranthambore can easily cut the jeep traffic by half if not more.
At Corbett, the rules and practices are the worst - neither friendly for the environment nor for the tourist. It helps only the middlemen and lends itself easily for corruption.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:41   #29

Awesome pictures and great writeup.

The log hut is simply great. I am just imagining the thought and the feeling you would have gone thorugh, staying deep in wild with all the wild animals roaming just one wall away from you.

I will start saving for the day when I go there and stay.
Let more pics and your simple and wonderful story telling come.
This is becoming a great thread.
raman. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:45   #30
BHPian

I had visited Kanha around 12 year back, My native place Gondia is just 200 KM away. I am thinking of revisiting it since long. Your travelog again insisting me to visit this place again
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote