Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th May 2010, 22:20   #61

Nice pictures and writeup. I had the privilage of being in Kanha about 3 weeks ago. Stayed at Taj Safari for 4 days and sighted 8 tigers and a cub, a leopard sighting and the other more commcnly found animal life. The leopard sighting was awesome....amazingly it crouched by the side of the path and hung about for a good 3 or 4 minutes just 15 feet away.

I think the authorities are doing a wonderful job there...no litter at all absolutely, the drivers were disciplined...drove well, slowly without going off the track, made it back on time (strictly followed) and the 'naturalists' we had loved their job and made every effort possible.

The chances of spotting a tiger are pretty good since they use elephants (you can register early AM) to track the tigers, and once the tigers have settled down - they allow you to go on the elephant into the scrub to view the tiger(s). So the possibility of spotting one over a few days is much higher especially in the dry seasons.

photographs attached of one of the tiger sightings and the leopard (dusk shot and its very well camoflaged...only the eyes give it away). Made our entire trip worth it.

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-kanha_tiger.jpg

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-kanha_leopard.jpg)
B-2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 22:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Saw an email which had some photos from Hannes Lochner and I come and see these amazing photos by sabynag. Man I want to become a wildlife photographer or at least want to visit these places otherwise.
Go visit these places NOW. Wild tiger will be extinct in India in a decade or so. Sighting them in the wild will drop significantly in a few years from now. I took a pledge to visit as many tiger reserves as I can before the King of Indian jungle bids goodbye to India.
sabynag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 09:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Our naturalist was so confident that he asked me - "What kind of tiger sighting would you prefer ?" My reply was quick - "at a touching distance". He said that he would try.

Enough of words. Let the snaps speak the rest. But before the King appears, lets take a quick look at the supporting actors at Bandhavgarh. By no means, they are less exciting to fill the gap between two successive tiger sightings.
Saby, cant hold my patience to see the majestic beast .
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 10:38   #64
BHPian

@B-2R, great snap ! Looks like you were in Kanha almost during the same time I was there, but you stayed in the Mukki side. How is Banjaar Tola experience ? BTW, how far is Banjaar Tola from Mukki gate ?

Add more snaps, please. Also, please tell us about the zones where the sightings happened.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:56   #65
BHPian

Looks like it raining Tigers & Wildlife on Team-BHP. Great travelogue sabynag. Would love to see more & read more.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 14:13   #66
BHPian

Awesome stuff Saby, I need to visit Baghira log hut. Thanks for the details as well.
anshurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 15:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Go visit these places NOW. Wild tiger will be extinct in India in a decade or so. Sighting them in the wild will drop significantly in a few years from now. I took a pledge to visit as many tiger reserves as I can before the King of Indian jungle bids goodbye to India.

Lets not be so pessimistic. I sincerely hope and believe that the save tiger movement has teeth and will make a difference.
Meanwhile, could you please post a little more frequently?
I along with your other readers are like hanging all day!
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:10   #68
BHPian

Default First Day, First Show at Bandhavgarh - Part II

Too tired to write tonight. Over to tigers ... let them carry it forward
Attached Thumbnails
A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0157_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0159_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0171_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0175_compressed.jpg  

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-img_0208_compressed.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 23:23   #69
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Night shot of the leopard is terrific. Seems like you've used a flash. One can't grab them in the night in conventional slr's without flashes. With flashes, one can't recreate what exactly one spotted. But then, spotting a leopard in the dark is a great great acheivement.
Saby. Hats off to you. Two photos of your's have made me think of Kanha and Bandhavgarh now. The leopard and the owl!

A 5* from my side.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 08:25   #70
BHPian

hi Sabynag,
You have to be really lucky enough to spot a tiger in the wild life & also to photograph it well.
Even though i had 2 instances in Nagarahole forest @ 6-45 pm & bit dark.
1. A Huge tiger crossed the road in front of my car.
2. An owl hit my car's wind sheild
In both the cases i could not click even a single snap because i thought it was dark & couldnot sight any animals. Also I had switched off & packed my camera.
My sincere suggestion to fellow freinds, while wandering in the forests
" Always keep your camera gear ready"
we will never know what's going to happen in next moment.
regards
sree
sree70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Night shot of the leopard is terrific. Seems like you've used a flash. One can't grab them in the night in conventional slr's without flashes. With flashes, one can't recreate what exactly one spotted. But then, spotting a leopard in the dark is a great great acheivement.
Saby. Hats off to you. Two photos of your's have made me think of Kanha and Bandhavgarh now. The leopard and the owl!

A 5* from my side.
The Leopard photo is not Saby's, it's posted by B-2R.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:00   #72
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for pointing out. My overlook. I was so enamoured by the leopard that didn't note who posted it.
B-2R. Amazing stuff with the leopard.
Saby, still it's a 5* from me.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the jeep and the guide will be banned for 15 days with a Rs.500 fine. It's the 15-day ban that hurts them hard and so no guide ever takes a chance. A mobile patrol of forest officials keep a constant vigil on route discipline.
An excellent move by the park officials. Apparently something on the same lines should be implemented here in Kharapur too. Sometimes when a leopard is spotted its complete mayhem with other jeep safari's making a dash to the location.

During my last trip to JLR I saw some jeeps from another resort closeby whose drivers simply kept driving like maniacs and trying to reach the spot where we spotted the leopard. Pathetic is an understatement by the way these fellas here treat wildlife and the forests.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:21   #74

Saby, Banjaar Tola was great...river on one side and pool to dive into when you are hot and back from the safari. Good food, passionate naturalists...like you said - they are up, ready and waiting at 5:30 AM....and were great company during the time in the forest. All in all a very good experience with them.

Will post more photographs as soon as i have them sorted. I love your pics. For those keen to see a tiger in the wild - i'll just add that photographs do not do justice.....seeing a (large) tiger walk by you with such calm fluid grace is something else altogther. Worth the effort of getting there and praying for luck.

Mukki gate was pretty close by ...less than a km. I dont remember any of the zones - didnt register i guess with everything else going on. After 4 days ...seemed like the zones and inhabitants were all well know to naturalists and guides since they were looking for specific tigers/tigress with cubs/etc,...and were describing charecteristics to us.

Here is a pic of the elephants ...they had three of them combing the forest in the AM looking for the tigers and where they had settled for the day.

A Week-long Wildlife Adventure - Kanha & Bandhavgarh-kanha_elephants..one-king-see-another.jpg

MX6 - the leopard pic was from a Nikon SLR (I'll add that i'm not an expert). I tried a couple of shots without flash - had it set to that since we didnt want to be "intrusive" and one with since it was pretty dark and i changed it to "Auto" for a shot. Just didnt have time on the spot to review and change settings.....we were far too exited with the leopard that close and i was taking a chance by pointing in the general direction and clicking since i could'nt frame it through the viewfinder (not enough light). After about a minute or so....it started twitching its tail with some low growls...... it was fully grown and i can tell you there were a few worried smiles in the jeep . That pic made my day and i'm now inspired to start researching for a zoom lens.
B-2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:17   #75
BHPian

It's quite sad to see such a beautiful 5 star thread die a slow ignored death!