Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th May 2010, 18:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Never seen so many cars lined up the highway....
Attachment 354452
Agree.. That's one hell of a Jam!
Completely spoils the holiday mood! Wonder why so many tourists insist only on going to Rohtang?
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 21:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Completely spoils the holiday mood! Wonder why so many tourists insist only on going to Rohtang?
And also tourists have made the Rohtang, a dumping ground. You can find plastics and plastics everywhere.

It has changed a lot within last 10 - 12 years.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 22:47   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Nice photos!!!

Zabbardast lag rahe idhar!!

Edit : just saw, more snaps!!!
Zabbardast!! kya line lagi hai gaariyon ki !(last photo)
shukriya bhai.. thanks a lot for appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Your signature says it. 'When in doubt, turn right'!!!

Great going. Waiting impatiently for the rest
yes, and it works even in the worst conditions.. i have tried it many times. just go right... hehe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice pictures but looks like you took most of them in a hurry as they came out pretty hazy.

What was the temperature there like? Especially in Rohtang?
ammm.... you can say that.. my style of photography is far from adjusting the lens... tripod setting et al.... its just take it out.. switch it ON... click! done! but see.. i am careful with the shots..

In this set of pictures, some are in a moving car, some are while walking.. some are when conditions suddenly change up there.. it suddenly went from sunlight to a hailstorm. While coming down it was full of fog n mist. we were in the clouds lap so to say.

well, the temperatures... i dont feel much cold.. so wont be able to say much on this.. i chekd my car once... it said 9 degrees once while running.. so must be around 5-6 up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Never seen so many cars lined up the highway....
Attachment 354452
me neither.. the major hurdle there was the nallah at the end of the line of cars below.. bottom right corner of the pic. the guy at HPTDC said 10 KM traffic jam.. well, we were lucky to get this much. hehe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
So finally you reached to the snow, and could fulfill your promise to your friends. Nice snaps. You looking good and Mr. Mazhar is looking dashing in those model like shoots.
yes, thanks.... he actually begged me for those all through the trip... and finally he says..

bhai, mere sob photuan CD mein daal ke dedo mujhe, prints mai karvaletu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
You seem to be rather well insulated by mother nature against Cold . Could not help noticing that you are moving around in a kurta in snow.
yes, i was surprised myself.. though i did feel my hands freezing when we played with it.. but otherwise it was OK.. never really felt the need for a coat or anything.. others were shivering..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
the reason for this as i understand is.. fresh snow at the peak.. as told by HPTDC guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
And also tourists have made the Rohtang, a dumping ground. You can find plastics and plastics everywhere.

It has changed a lot within last 10 - 12 years.
Yeah.. lots of pollution... i wish it was empty like Tanveer does his trips..
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 07:32   #139
Senior - BHPian

Khaleed Bhai, just caught up with this travelogue and boy what flow with the language. Arrey miyaan mazaa aa gaya. Now please don't slow down.

OT: During my entire Ladakh trip, Rohtang was the most difficult pass primarily due to traffic and the amount of people. Its a Kumbh Mela out there.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 13:27   #140
Team-BHP Support

I am posting a couple of pictures of the helluva traffic jam that you see on the way up to Rohtang. Its a nightmare
Attached Thumbnails
Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-dsc_1853.jpg  

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-dsc_1854.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:33   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Khaleed Bhai, just caught up with this travelogue and boy what flow with the language. Arrey miyaan mazaa aa gaya. Now please don't slow down.

OT: During my entire Ladakh trip, Rohtang was the most difficult pass primarily due to traffic and the amount of people. Its a Kumbh Mela out there.

shukriya bhai.. good to know... a little busy this morning... i'll continue ASAP.

@everyone.. the good times are almost about to end... excepting kashmir... the nightmares about to start- hehe...
Old 25th May 2010, 15:34   #142
BHPian

Default Day 8 Afternoon: Back from Rohtang!

One thing i forgot to mention.. In all our excitement, we forgot to fill up diesel to go up.. The 50 odd KM road to rohtang took up much diesel and 6 KM from top we realised that we had only about 5-10 ltrs left, thats where we played in snow and turned back.

Coming back down, we even forgot to turn into Solang as the atmosphere got heated up outside as well as inside the car.

See, as far as i am concerned, i have big godown space, and i can even go more than 24 hours without food, but my friends who were travelling with me, and mazhar saab too have little tolerance for hunger, this i found out the hard way.

Since we had planned to go to kashmir last night itself, i (who had to do all the planning) had planned to reach kullu by evening and at least Mandi by night for a halt. In my excitement i announced on way down from Rohtang that we dont stop until we reach Kullu, as i remembered it had a mela going on and we could shop eat and everything. Little did i realise that the others were hungry and their patience was running out. Just a stop for tea n toilets and straight to kullu. It was dark when we reached kullu, ladies went into the mela happily but Azer, mazhar sat in the car. Upon enquiry i realised that Azer's mood as well as stomach is upset as he had nothing to eat since morning breakfast at Kothi. I said so what? no body had anything... we have stopped here to eat only.. Get out of the car.. then an arguement ensued which is not worth mentioning here as this is a HAPPY thread!

But, we boys have a way to sort out things even before it falls off! 5 mins later we're looking for a nice place to eat.

Mera mood kuch alag hi ho gaya tha!

bhai log, mujhe thodi der pehle ek bakery dikhi thi, mai toh waha jaaru burger pizza khaane!
are bhai hum toh yaha curd rice kha lenge..
no problem, mai akela hi khake aata hun, hehe!

Let me tell you guys, just as you enter Kullu market, on your left you'll see VIPIN's bakery, he makes absolutely delicious burgers!!! i burnt my mouth on one.. Only vegetarian and its absolute TASTY! i've never had that kind of a burger. only 30 to 50 rs. zabardast burgers. i had 2 then, and one parcel. YUMM!

After spending a couple of hours shopping and eating, we set out for Mandi, i was full and i dont sleep when i'm full, so i took the wheel. Normally everybody sleeps when i drive but tonight was different.!!! you bet it was! Nobody even winked!
hehehhehe...!!!

In about 1 and a half hours we were in mandi, 70 odd KMs of trecherous mountains, tunnels, riversides and all.... It was real fun driving in the dark. I only settled down when the road got wider near mandi. i was laughing all the way seeing their faces!!!

We check into the first hotel we see, We're going to Kashmir tomorrow! We'll need full rest! But we had no idea what's in store for us tomorrow!

The choo chaa starts here!

Last edited by unoczar : 25th May 2010 at 15:35. Reason: spelling
Old 25th May 2010, 15:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Rohtang is a mess as always. The most painful part of any trip to Ladakh. One should always try to cross this hell just around dusk or else you'll be stuck till noon and unlucky one's will be there for a whole day. And people still goes there. I just wish that whatever tunnel they are building to bypass Rohtang underground, should be completed as soon as possible.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 19:54   #144
BHPian

Default Day 9 :

We leave early from our hotel in Mandi, around 8 am start, i wasnt pressing them to get ready early today after yesterday's argument, take your time i said, and they were ready at 7:30am!!!

Ok, then we decide to start right away and stop for breakfast on the way. The sun was out and starting to beat down on us.

I had thought that the hills were over for now.. and the road to pathankot would be plain... but... oh no.. more twists and turns... we were still around 2,000 metres above MSL and the swish swoosh continues.

A stop for breakfast at CITY HEART hotel, looked normal from out side but very good from inside and the food was great too! delicious chole bhatura, poori bhaji.. nice!

Its mid morning now and we're about to enter the Kangra district, pathankot should be 2-2 1/2 hours from here we thought.. but no.. the next 3 hours were spent right there, even the sun wouldn't relent.

I mean we were in snow just yesterday and now this... 40+ temperatures..!!! and scores of people!! all around us..and the longest traffic jam of our journey.

Apparently it was a huge gathering for some Radhasoami Satsang! Amazing! the number of people coming and going ... and some camping there as well!

Frustration, anger, confusion, agony, annoyance.. i cant find words to describe the feeling... more than 3 hours in the jam!

PHEW!

Finally we're out of the mess... i'm just guessing there were at least 1 lakh people there.

Toward Pathankot then. and by late afternoon we make it.. what should have been an early lunch here.. turns into a evening snack coz of the jam.

We had aloo hot dogs.. hehe! they were nice and tasty. Even my wife who is strictly against such stuff had one!

A short stop there and through to Jammu! We were in no mood to stop until we got to Srinagar!

The roads got better and Jammu arrived pretty quick!

Another small stop and Mazhar took over the wheel as i was exhausted!

Finding the way to Srinagar was not hard and without hesitation we started toward it. In a way we were sick of this mountain terrain.. twists and turns. But i slept well throught the night and in the very early part of morning of day 10 i wake up to see everyone sleeping.. the car is parked in a very isolated area, i could see one deserted army check point and nothing else..

mountains everywhere and its very very cold!! WOW! snow to fire and to another freezer within 2 days! Amazing country!

This is just what i wanted to emphasize on.. India is a great country.. we were in snow one day.. next day spent in terrible heat.. and the next morning.. we're freeezing again!

Day 10

I was fresh and took over the job to get us to Srinagar! we were probably around 100 kms from it.

Soon we came to 2.5 KM long Jawahar Tunnel. I was wondering how it would be like in winters if its so cold in summers... i

remember a quote from a guy in Srinagar...

"abhi garmi ka mausam hai, isse zyada garmi nahi hoti yaha par" (and we were shivering!)

Soon we started descending and about 45 KM from srinagar, the green tunnel starts.. its greenery all round and in the distance you can see snow covered peaks. Another quote from a friend in Delhi...

"BHaijaan, aisa lagta hai Allah ne pahadon ko cheer kar beech mein ek chhoti se jannat bana di ho!"

The green tunnel i'm referring to here is a tunnel made by trees as you pass through the plains.

Now, as soon as i enter Srinagar... THaa! i bang into a local SUMO from behind, HOW? i dont know..

The army is suspicious.. we move on a little and the sumo driver waves me to stop... i respectfully stop on the side.

I get down.. everyone's asleep.. i look at the SUMO, the back door has a big vertical dent! The whole door has dented and it is very visible! i am apologetic and i explain that it was raining and visibility was poor and etc etc.. another old man gets down from the Sumo and demands 300 rs. for repair, i mumble in my mouth and suddenly the driver says..

chalo yaar choro... koi baat nahi!

my eyes gleam! what? really?

shukriya bhai..

and they go! what a let off!

We too leave the spot and look for a hotel, the whole place is wet... really wet and muddy... we find a hotel "green mountain".. and check in after bargaining and settling on 600 rs. a room.

Kashmiris are really nice and friendly people! Especially for muslims, they're extra friendly.. all good for us!

Later i learnt that Kashmir is 99.9% muslim... true? i dont know.. it seemed that way though!

We rest a little and get ready.. Srinagar is waiting for us.. hehe!

Some Pics from Mandi till Srinagar...

(Problem with posting pics. .will do it tonight.)
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 20:12   #145
BHPian

Default Hyderabadi Masala is missing, bhaijaan

Bhaijaan,

It seems you are in a hurry of finsihing this travelogue. We are missing the hyderabadi dialogues in your posts now. Please bring them on. (kya karre ho?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Kashmiris are really nice and friendly people! Especially for muslims, they're extra friendly.. all good for us!
You are absolutely right bhaijaan. But sometimes they are really very bad with rest of the people. I have experienced that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Later i learnt that Kashmir is 99.9% muslim... true? i dont know.. it seemed that way though!
Yeah, that may be true. Because rest of the people have migrated to cities like Jammu, Delhi, Mumbai and countries like UK, US etc.

Last edited by Irish : 25th May 2010 at 20:15.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 21:08   #146

@Unoczar bhaijaan mast travelogue hai...though i am not very active on this forum your travelogue has compelled me to come here everyday just to read it. Your witty writing style has got me hooked :P everyday after i reach home reading your posts is the first thing i do. Please continue with your travelogue and may you take many such vacations for the benefit of us readers
rishabh.asthana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 21:08   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are absolutely right bhaijaan. But sometimes they are really very bad with rest of the people. I have experienced that.
I have experienced that too. Not everyone but few people are really bad.There are awesome examples as well. But these few people really spoil others names. Simple incident, me and wifey went were strolling the streets in Srinagar and saw a shop with Cane baskets and handicrafts. We started negotiating and the guy told me " Aap logo Hindustan se aake yehan paisa nahi kharcho ge to kaise chalega ( You guys from Hindustan should come here and spend money)" What got me really cheesed off was that he was part of Hindustan / India as well. Though both us didn't say anything neither me or Bidisha liked any of that.

Quote:
yeah, that may be true. Because rest of the people have migrated to cities like Jammu, Delhi, Mumbai and countries like UK, US etc.
Yes Kashmir is 99.9% Muslims. I had a candid chat ( I would presume he was candid) with a Shikara Guy for about an 1.5 Hours in the morning during the boat ride wherein he also said that few bad apples are spoiling the whole crop leading to loss of employment in the whole region.

Anyways thats that and I after a detailed chat with J&K hand understood that nothing much will change and expect a status quo.

But all said and done, I feel its the duty of every Indian to visit this Heaven on Earth because the only the continuous tourist inflow can reduce the cloud of terrorism and get J&K back into main stream.

Sorry guys for the rant as couldn't control myself.

Disclaimer: Hindustani is a native of Hindustan. Hindustan means land of the Hind which is the distorted form of Sind or Indus. So technically Hindustani is an inhabitant of Indus Valley Civilisation.

@Khaled Bhai : Did you notice the Yellow Saffron Fields behind the green tunnel? Awesome isn't it. Also by the green tunnel did you notice the dilapidated and abandoned houses. The whole scene got me really sad.

Anyway did you stay by the Boulevard Road or somewhere near the Lal Chowk?

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2010 at 18:30. Reason: Merging consecutive posts.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:22   #148
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Well, I visited many places in Kashmir when I was very young. Though I was young to comprehend these things, I could clearly make out from above conversations that the feeling of self - alienation is stronger now than 20 years back (when I visited). I guess it's the apathy of the Indian govt to settle the border issue effectively, and the mass exodus of the hindu populace from the region that's made people feel alien.
I have seen some pics of PoK. Forget Srinagar. PoK is even more astounding and looks out of the world. Unfortunately, behind such beauty, lies masked viscious danger.
Sorry for the rant from my side.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 21:41   #149
Senior - BHPian

Btw my tryst with J&K Police
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1524149 (Leh'd and Back from Hyderabad: The 18 Day, 7804 Km Saga)
And the discussion with the Shikara Guy
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1526503 (Leh'd and Back from Hyderabad: The 18 Day, 7804 Km Saga)

@MX6: My dad was posted in Poonch for close to 2 years and we used to visit him quite regularly way back till 1989. Those were the days !

Last edited by MileCruncher : 25th May 2010 at 21:43.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:14   #150
BHPian

Default Pics

ok guys, lets cool down the atmosphere a li'l bit with today's pics.

chk out the crowd for radhasoami.. we were stuck in for over 3 hours!

some scenery, rabbits, and finally our room at srinagar..

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-830.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-831.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-838.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-843.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-846.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-848.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-849.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-858.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-859.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-860.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-864.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-866.jpg