Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th May 2010, 22:25   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Bhaijaan,

It seems you are in a hurry of finsihing this travelogue. We are missing the hyderabadi dialogues in your posts now. Please bring them on. (kya karre ho?)

You are absolutely right bhaijaan. But sometimes they are really very bad with rest of the people. I have experienced that.

Yeah, that may be true. Because rest of the people have migrated to cities like Jammu, Delhi, Mumbai and countries like UK, US etc.
bhai, i can't keep putting in dialogues everytime... abhi trip ek gambhir turn lera hai.. it'll get "gambhirer" now... hehe.. but i'll try my best to put in as much humor as possible.... dnt worry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabh.asthana View Post
@Unoczar bhaijaan mast travelogue hai...though i am not very active on this forum your travelogue has compelled me to come here everyday just to read it. Your witty writing style has got me hooked :P everyday after i reach home reading your posts is the first thing i do. Please continue with your travelogue and may you take many such vacations for the benefit of us readers
THANKS a tonne!!! aap jaise logo ki wajeh se hi likhna easy hota hai.. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have experienced that too. Not everyone but few people are really bad.There are awesome examples as well. But these few people really spoil others names. Simple incident, me and wifey went were strolling the streets in Srinagar and saw a shop with Cane baskets and handicrafts. We started negotiating and the guy told me " Aap logo Hindustan se aake yehan paisa nahi kharcho ge to kaise chalega ( You guys from Hindustan should come here and spend money)" What got me really cheesed off was that he was part of Hindustan / India as well. Though both us didn't say anything neither me or Bidisha liked any of that.

Yes Kashmir is 99.9% Muslims. I had a candid chat ( I would presume he was candid) with a Shikara Guy for about an 1.5 Hours in the morning during the boat ride wherein he also said that few bad apples are spoiling the whole crop leading to loss of employment in the whole region.

Anyways thats that and I after a detailed chat with J&K hand understood that nothing much will change and expect a status quo.

But all said and done, I feel its the duty of every Indian to visit this Heaven on Earth because the only the continuous tourist inflow can reduce the cloud of terrorism and get J&K back into main stream.

Sorry guys for the rant as couldn't control myself.

Disclaimer: Hindustani is a native of Hindustan. Hindustan means land of the Hind which is the distorted form of Sind or Indus. So technically Hindustani is an inhabitant of Indus Valley Civilisation.
That is shocking! they don't consider themselves as Hindustani? wow?! mujhe koi aisa bolta toh ek KARARA THAPAD khata! in hyderabadi lingo...

ek kaan bhairi maarta mai, saala bhaira ho jaata!!

Quote:
@Khaled Bhai : Did you notice the Yellow Saffron Fields behind the green tunnel? Awesome isn't it. Also by the green tunnel did you notice the dilapidated and abandoned houses. The whole scene got me really sad.

Anyway did you stay by the Boulevard Road or somewhere near the Lal Chowk?
I guess i missed the saffron fields... we took the first hotel we saw.. around 2-3 KM before Dal Gate.. missed the area name.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 22:41   #152
Senior - BHPian

Khaleed Bhai.. I would also like to read/see some famous Hyderabadi Lingo!

Maa ki kirkiri, Kya re baingan, etc!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 23:10   #153
BHPian

Quote:
I have experienced that too. Not everyone but few people are really bad.There are awesome examples as well. But these few people really spoil others names. Simple incident, me and wifey went were strolling the streets in Srinagar and saw a shop with Cane baskets and handicrafts. We started negotiating and the guy told me " Aap logo Hindustan se aake yehan paisa nahi kharcho ge to kaise chalega ( You guys from Hindustan should come here and spend money)" What got me really cheesed off was that he was part of Hindustan / India as well. Though both us didn't say anything neither me or Bidisha liked any of that.
MC,

Same kind of incident happened with me and my friend when we went to Srinagar. I wanted to share my experience in your travelogue (Leh'd and back from Hyderabad), but didn't do.

Anyways, in Srinagar, my friend went for a kulfi (ice cream) at Dal Lake and I was with him. After taking the Kulfi from that guy, my friend paid him the money.

As soon as my friend tasted the kulfi, that guy asked him - "Aapke India main aisi badiya kulfi milti hai?" (Do you get such kind of tasty ice cream in your India?)

I asked him then where are we right now? He said it's Kashmir.

I didn't want to indulge ourselves in any kind of problems so just smiled and moved ahead. Also I didn't feel other people friendly, around us. But seriously that day, I really felt very bad and humiliated in our own country.

I have experienced, most of the people, who are not dependent on tourists, are non co-operative and stare at you, as if you are an alien.

Anyways, apologies for going off topic. I couldn't control my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
bhai, i can't keep putting in dialogues everytime... abhi trip ek gambhir turn lera hai.. it'll get "gambhirer" now... hehe.. but i'll try my best to put in as much humor as possible.... dnt worry!
Bhaijaan,

I am eagerly waiting for the gambhir story. But I am sure, your gambhir story will definately have masala i.e. the conversation between you and Mazhar.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 25th May 2010 at 23:19.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 23:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

Guys cool it down, actually you'll hear this in many other places in India, not just Kashmir. And I really wouldn't only blame all the local people. This whole thing is actually mutual. There was lots of alienation done to many bordering states by mainland India in the past and now things are kind of turning around. Many of them actually don't feel to be part of India because of these. First question to me asked when I entered Sikkim was that am I from India. I was shocked but it happened that time. And I think blame shouldn't be put entirely on them. We are also to be blamed to some extent. But let's leave it that as it's a controversial topic. Mods please delete if it's against some rule which I'm not aware of.

Dost, keep on posting and really missing the conversations of you with your driver. Bring it on. Waiting eagerly.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 11:59   #155
Senior - BHPian

Well said, Kaushik

Khaleed Bhai - Lets forget that episode and get on with your wonderful journey
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 12:33   #156
Senior - BHPian

Did i hear "alienation"?? if there was no terrorist issue am sure by now we would have had a huge IT park by now and one sort after place for many
and how that directly/indirectly would have made a positive effect to the Kashmir's economy..

anyhow lets get back to the topic, Khalieed bhai is trying to get serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Guys cool it down, actually you'll hear this in many other places in India, not just Kashmir. And I really wouldn't only blame all the local people. This whole thing is actually mutual. There was lots of alienation done to many bordering states by mainland India in the past and now things are kind of turning around. Many of them actually don't feel to be part of India because of these. First question to me asked when I entered Sikkim was that am I from India. I was shocked but it happened that time. And I think blame shouldn't be put entirely on them. We are also to be blamed to some extent. But let's leave it that as it's a controversial topic. Mods please delete if it's against some rule which I'm not aware of.

Dost, keep on posting and really missing the conversations of you with your driver. Bring it on. Waiting eagerly.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:16   #157
BHPian

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Well said, Kaushik

Khaleed Bhai - Lets forget that episode and get on with your wonderful journey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
There is one special thing about this logue unlike others....

You are not trying to show off I like it

@ everyone. I must apologise for the delay guys... too much work today and i'm dead tired now.. kal subah.. pakka!! i'll finish our onward journey and the ordeal of returning back shall begin!

thanks for patience.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:20   #158
BHPian

Khaleed Bhai,

I opened just now to read the story further, but saw you apologising?
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 23:45   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Did i hear "alienation"?? if there was no terrorist issue am sure by now we would have had a huge IT park by now and one sort after place for many
and how that directly/indirectly would have made a positive effect to the Kashmir's economy..

anyhow lets get back to the topic, Khalieed bhai is trying to get serious
Actually I was not just talking about Kashmir but about few other parts of India (North Eastern part and there were/are people who don't consider NE to be part of India and that mindset is there in both sides). I've seen what had happened there and hence made the comment. Trust me, things were not that rosy those days. Albeit now things are changing there for better tomorrow(again I'm not talking about Kashmir as I don't exactly know the ground situation there). And you are very correct when you talked about IT park or similar industrialization, I really wish there were no terrorism and the wheel of progress have moved. Things then would've been very different. But let's not dabble into that and de-rail khalid bhai's travelogue.
We are still waiting Khaled bhai, please post as soon as you have some time.
Old 27th May 2010, 01:07   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
@ everyone. I must apologise for the delay guys... too much work today and i'm dead tired now.. kal subah.. pakka!! i'll finish our onward journey and the ordeal of returning back shall begin!

thanks for patience.
Kaya karte khaleed bhai! Aise nakko chalta. Hum IT logaa ise padh ke office mein timepass karte.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 07:01   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Kaya karte khaleed bhai! Aise nakko chalta. Hum IT logaa ise padh ke office mein timepass karte.

IT logaaa!!!

hahaha... that's funny...

aapka time pass coming up...
Old 27th May 2010, 11:32   #162
BHPian

Default In Srinagar!

Everybody please keep in mind that the overall mood in the camp is not so positive, as each has his/her own problems, and most of them were not to keen on doing such a long trip.. but i was enjoying it.. and so was mazhar! hehe..

We first decide to go toward Dal Lake, and find two places.. 1. Eatery, 2. Shopping.. what else?

We traverse the entire boulevard street, lots of hotels, shops, restaurants on our right and on our left was the jheel lined with house boats each one housing either a restaurant or a cafe or something.

We turn back after checking out all the shops, i decide to get down and walk a little, chatting with the locals. The people there were friendly (at least to me) and galdly showed me to a restaurant which served good Halal food.

As-salaam alaikum,
walaikum salaam mullahji, kaha se aaye hai?
mai hyderabad se..
acha..
yaha koi achhi jagah khaane ki?
haan, haan zarur.. udhar saamne jaake poochiye "lhasa ki galli", usme hotel lhasa mein jaiye.
shukriya janab.

So we walk to Hotel Lhasa. Mazhar saab has already heard me speak to them and found out the hotel and even parked the car safely.

kya baat hai chhote? itna fast?
haan bhai.. maine sun liya tha..
acha ab gaadi ache se laga de... zyada advance baatan nakko kar.

As soon as we see LHasa, the ladies are in a different mood.

aji dekho, saamne idli doshe milre.. hum log waha jaare.
ARE! kya toh bhi hai jee tum logo ka... north mein aake south ka khate kete.. non sense!

ladies in the idli hotel.. men in the lhasa hotel. (saala veg kha kha ke, pet, liver, kidney sab sad chuka tha!)

We go and sit in the Garden restaurant. We are enjoying the sunlight in this cold weather, ordered chicken curry and plain rice.. simple yet good!

As soon as our food arrives.. the ladies also enter.. with a weird expression on their faces.

mai bola tha tum logon ku.. khamush hamare saath chalo.. magar nahi!
HUH! acha hi tha hamara khaana!
really? theek hai toh phir yaha toh tum log khaoge nahi?
nahi!

Good, i could see all of them staring at the delicious food while we ate like gluttons!

Let me tell you guys.. this was the best food on our entire trip! Real food, i'm not considering bhaturas, puris etc.. Food consisting of rice and a curry.. this was easily the best.

All plates dry cleaned.. we leave for some sightseeing. I had planned to go Gulmarg today and Sonmarg tomorrow... but as fate would have it... we went nowhere!!!

A shopping session later.. ladies were tired and wanted to go back to the hotel. I took the wheel and said to myself.. lets rest today and we'll go around tomorrow.

But, i lose my way and end up on the other side of the lake.. this side was empty and only people we saw were on 2-3 shikaras.. there was a slight drizzle, but we went in it anyways.

As soon as we left the shore.. it started raining heavily! We were trying our best not to get wet.... and it was tough... there were 6 of us in one shikara! bad idea!

The shikara ride will be in our memories though... the sceneries, the maggi and tea shop in a boat, the dry fruit wala, the imitation jewellery wala.. everything on the boats!

All in all we had a good time as the rain also let up half way.

Apne mazhar bhai..well, he chose to sleep in the car all the time. he was happy to do it.

Shikara ride over.. and we're close to the shore.. but where's the scorpio? Not to be seen?

Are! Azer, gaadi nahi dikhri yaar.
Waha dekh, udhar hai...

Apparently, one army fellow asked mazhar not to park there. He took it about 30 yards further down and parked there. Army guy again warned him not park... and he coolly came back to the original place.. hehe... When we reached them, the army man was getting excited and angry...

Aap log yaha parking nahi kar sakte!!

We leave quickly!

kya karra tha tu? mujhe gaadi jagah pe nahi dikhi..
nahi, bhai wo army waala dum karra tha!, mai thoda aage jaake lagaya toh waha bhi aa gaya, mere peeche hi pad gaya tha une!
tu yaha zara sambhal ke reh, army waale ek baar daal liye toh phir zindagi bhar andar hi rahega tu,
lite lo bhai.

Its almost evening time and we head back to the hotel.

Camera battery-charge!
Laptop battery-charge!
phone.. well phones don't work here in J&K.
Apni battery bhi charge!

Time for dinner. We ask about the famous restaurant here in Kashmir and they say Mughal Darbar near Lal Chowk. Lets go! Mughals!

Now, the streets were empty as in a curfew.. i was a little scared.. sahi mein curfew toh nahi?? i ask a army fellow..

kya bhai.. sab road khaali khaali? curfew hai kya?
(stern reply) nahi, strike hai.

We get the picture.. there was a strike by the shopkeepers over some issue.

Finding mughal darbar wasnt tough. The set up looked good, it also had a bakery, we bought a cake and a bread for travel. Cake was eaten as breakfast though!

We ordered kashmiri pulao, some saag, roti and mutton rogan josh.

Mutton was good, pulao was full of the biggest elaichi's i've ever seen, but edible!
Overall Rating- good!

We go back to the hotel and sleep.. I have planned at least Sonmarg tomorrow! lets see what happens...

PICS...

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-961.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-964.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-965.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-966.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-969.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-970.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-971.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-972.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-973.jpg

Last edited by unoczar : 27th May 2010 at 11:33. Reason: mistake
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 11:39   #163
BHPian

Default more pics...

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-913.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-914.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-920.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-921.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-924.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-927.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-930.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-932.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-934.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-937.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-944.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-945.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-947.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-950.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-951.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-953.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-954.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-957.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-958.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-959.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-976.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-977.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-980.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-984.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-986.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-991.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-997.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-999.jpg
unoczar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 11:52   #164
Senior - BHPian

"saala veg kha kha ke, pet, liver, kidney sab sad chuka tha!" He he he I can understand ;-)
Awesome photos Khaled Bhai, my next trip to Ladakh will be via Kashmir only for sure. Gotta see the place soon.
Old 27th May 2010, 12:21   #165
Senior - BHPian

@Khaleed Bhai: I'm surprised that your phone were not working. All post paid phones work in J&K but again only GSM, no GPRS/EDGE. Only pre-paids dn't work!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote