Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th May 2010, 17:07   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Whats with that BEACON DOSA CANTEEN, do they serve only Dosa's ?

Great going dude ..
Beacon Dosa point on the Kashmir side of the Jawahar Tunnel. Just as you come out of the Jawahar Tunnel, you get a nice view of the Kahmir Valley. This is known as Titanic Point. BSF runs this canteen and the cook is from Madurai and he makes amazing Dosa's.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:15   #182
Senior - BHPian

Again, nice log and photos. And really nothing much happened to Mazhar during the tiff with the Armed forces? He must've stopped saying "Koyi fikr nahi hai bhai" after that ;-)

BTW, AFAIK, Indian armed forces use only AK47 not type-56. 56 is a Chinese version (licensed) of the AK-47 and I don't think we have access to that.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 17:35   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Beacon Dosa point on the Kashmir side of the Jawahar Tunnel. Just as you come out of the Jawahar Tunnel, you get a nice view of the Kahmir Valley. This is known as Titanic Point. BSF runs this canteen and the cook is from Madurai and he makes amazing Dosa's.
Great Info MC Thanks... I bet no one can bet Tamil Chef's on Dosa's.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 18:48   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
Absolutely fantastic, one of the best threads I have ever read, the subtle humor masking raw emotions and your stress is simply unbeatable. cant wait for the next post
THanks a lot.. will post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

Hum logaan kal tak wait nahi kar sakte... kal ki khabar aaj hi suna do bhai!
Aakhri busy hun bhai.. poora din phone calls pe hun... i'll try my best to post tonight.

Quote:
And.. Choo chaa.. as i entered.. he was making dosas.... and when i ordered.... "DOSA KHATAM HO GAYA BHAI"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Again, nice log and photos. And really nothing much happened to Mazhar during the tiff with the Armed forces? He must've stopped saying "Koyi fikr nahi hai bhai" after that ;-)

BTW, AFAIK, Indian armed forces use only AK47 not type-56. 56 is a Chinese version (licensed) of the AK-47 and I don't think we have access to that.
whatever... AK toh hai na...!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 23:03   #185
BHPian

Default In Amritsar!

Day 13 contd:

We sleep for a few hours and get up around noon... again bad idea as its really very hot outside. We take bath and start hunting for food.. thats always the first thing on our mind.. i said...

chalo golden temple ke paas jaate hai, waha bahut saare dukaanan honge..

we go toward Golden Temple and see a sign board pointing toward right.. we turn and come to a dead end. I spot a Sardarji's kulcha chola shop and ask him..

oye, prahji! golden temple kitthe hai?
oye, baadshaho, ae right te phir right, seedha chale jao,
ok jee, ye kulche kaunse hai?
oh jee, plain te aloo!
acha!

we stuff ourselves with stuffed kulchas and plain kulchas! very tasty and stomach tight!

We move toward Golden temple. The heat is so much that the AC is having little or no effect .. and everybody is frustrated and wants to go back home quickly. But fate had other plans.. quick.. well, you can throw that word out of the dictionary for now. I had planned that we can reach hyd on the 15th day or 16th morning if we go non-stop... but we only made it by 17th afternoon.. so you can imagine our plight.

Anyways, we park our car at the golden temple parking complex and take a rickshaw straight to the temple. I had no intention of going in, as there were plenty of sweet shops nearby that would keep me busy. hehe...

Jalebis, Laddus, Gulab Jamuns, more laddus, and more jalebis.... AMMAH!

if my stomach could take a human form, it would really kick me from behind. hehe....!

Begum shopped for some chapals and papads...

we go straight to Jalianwala Bagh which is nearby.

One thing i noticed about Amritsar... entry to all places is free! From Golden Temple to J. bagh, to wagah border... FREE!

Spent some time in the bagh... watching the bullet holes and the well!
We now decide to move as i wanted to see the retreat ceremony at the border.. one fellow said that ceremony begins at 6pm... i knew that he was wrong and we should be there at around 4.

We need to rush as it is already 5pm by the time we reach the parking and move toward the highway. Border is around 35 KM, and it takes almost an hour although the road was good.

We reach the border and we have to walk around half a KM, i can hear screams signifying the end of the ceremony... i ask others to hurry up.. IMAGINE.. i am the heaviest of all and the first to reach the gates... HMPH!

At the entry point, a fellow tells my wife, bags not allowed.. u must take out valuables and keep the bag here... i am not entertaining this and walk straight up to the Army personnel..

boss, wo admi keh raha hai ki bags allowed nahi hai??
(the "admi" isnt to be seen)
nahi, nahi le ja sakte hai jee.. kaun bola?

I watch the border at least and we leave an hour later munching on fruits and pop corn.

Its getting dark and we must leave quickly for Delhi.

We get back to the city, and suddenly it strikes me.. Amritsari Fish! We find a nice joint featured on NDTV... Makhan's on Lawrence Road! Rs.720 for one KG...!!! WOW...

5 star hai kya? asks mazhar.
nahi re dhaba ke jaisa hai..TV pe aaya bolke rate badhaya hoga shayad.

Now, as soon as we near this place... i can hear some sound in the brakes..

Mazhar! Brake Pads check kiya tha?
(he shrugs and gives me the look!)
tu mechanic dhoond, gaadi mai chalaunga!

The brake pads had apparently vanished.. it was metal on metal that was making the noise. Brilliant! i had to drive the car slowly in first and second, using only the handbrakes. That was tough!

Mazhar talking to himself...

Brake padan kaisa ghis jaate.. ? dedh saal pehle hi to naya daale they.
abe gadhe! insaanon ke waisa chalata toh ye nahi hota tha!

Well, its almost 9:00 pm and people are asking us to stay here for the night, as no mechanic would be available... i say to myself.. i have to leave this town tonight!

i slowly crawl to the railway station and luckily we find JASSI! a mechanic! shop open! great! he was a real helpful guy... he took his time but, got us original TVS brake pads, and installed them... he calls up the spare part dealer.. wakes him up.. sends his brothers to get the spare part.. and fixes our car. He even gives us a new bulb for the headlight which was not working.

Just before leaving, he says..

bhai, clutch thoda tight hai.. air bhar gayi shayad, mai lose kar deta hun!

Now, little did i know that this little gesture from his side would be our worst nightmare come true!

Almost 11pm.. we are ready to leave AMritsar!

We take the Highway to Jalandhar and I quickly doze off, mazhar's relatively fresh and can drive.

A few KMs from Jalandhar... at a Toll plaza.. Mazhar wakes me up at 1 AM...

Bhai, gaadi nahi chalri hai.....!
KYA?!

nightmare to be contd........

PICS from Amritsar:

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1079.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1080.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1081.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1083.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1088.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1089.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1092.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1097.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1098.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1099.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1103.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1105.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1107.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1115.jpg
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 06:04   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Great Info MC Thanks... I bet no one can bet Tamil Chef's on Dosa's.
I would beg to disagree. To me the best dosa's are made by Udipi cooks. Just for the record Dosa's are supposed to have originated from the temple streets of Udipi.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:28   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would beg to disagree. To me the best dosa's are made by Udipi cooks. Just for the record Dosa's are supposed to have originated from the temple streets of Udipi.

I completely agree with you MC
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 21:50   #188
BHPian

Khaleed Bhai,

We are still at Jallandhar. Waiting for the clutch repairs.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:37   #189
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd agree with Ranjith on this. I lost interest in eating Dosas after 1993. Thanks to Udupi style of dosa making.
And the worse part is the jaggery they add to the Sambhar.
Udupi revolutionised the low cost meals. Can't beat an Udupi restaurant in that. They provide wholesome meals at very competitive prices.
But when it comes to the humungous list of Dosas with mouth-watering taste, TN scores over!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 01:28   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Khaleed Bhai,

We are still at Jallandhar. Waiting for the clutch repairs.

sorry brethren!

fulltoo busy today.. and just came back from the airport.. kal sunday... pakka posting!
Old 30th May 2010, 08:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'd agree with Ranjith on this. I lost interest in eating Dosas after 1993. Thanks to Udupi style of dosa making.
And the worse part is the jaggery they add to the Sambhar.
Udupi revolutionised the low cost meals. Can't beat an Udupi restaurant in that. They provide wholesome meals at very competitive prices.
But when it comes to the humungous list of Dosas with mouth-watering taste, TN scores over!
Innovation in Dosa's, yes TN. One name that comes to my mind is Supreme in Madurai and their Paper Dosa.
BTW we have an outlet over here in Hyderabad called 99 Dosa's and they have some 140 odd varieties of Dosa's. Oh and they are a Mangalorean Chain!
Old 30th May 2010, 10:35   #192
BHPian

Default The Clutch!

.......contd from previous post

Bhai, gaadi nahi chalri hai.....!
KYA?! kya toh bhi hua re ab? itni raat ko?
mereku lagra wo sardar ne clutch ku khaali peeli ched diya. clutch gir gaya!
Gir gaya? kaha? dikha?... hai na be clutch...
are waisa nahi bhai, dabe to wapas nahi aara clutch.. gear nahi padra.
Great! Jassi(mechanic at amritsar) jaisa koi nahi!

I look around.. i don't see anything that can be of help.

Dekh, gear mein hi start kar...

he tries to start in 2nd gear without the clutch. It starts with a lot of struggle.. and we're running again.. Jalandhar is at least 30-35 KM away and its around 1 AM...

I don't remember here correctly whether we were before jalandhar or we had crossed..

Anyways, he stopped again... and tried to start it in 4th as then we could get good speed coz the gear would not budge in running but could be adjusted while stopped. No luck, it won't start in 4th. 3rd then... yes, it starts.

He drives on for quite a bit and we have crossed Jalandhar i guess, i also called up Jassi the mechanic at 1:45am, he's puzzled and everything..

Soon, we're stalled again in the middle of nowhere.. lorries parked around us and car's not starting anymore. Everyone's tired and sleepy as well... Mazhar and Azer (while i dozed off..) got out.. befriended a "lorry watchman" and nicely spread sheets on the back of the lorry and nicely
slept as the iron platform as cold. The weather was still hot in the night.

Sometime just before day break (3-3:30 i guesss) i wake up and see them on the lorry...

Ye kya karre ho?
bhai, aajao aap bhi, thanda hai yaha.. car ka subah hi kuch ho sakta hai..
(makes sense) theek hai.. pakdo mereku...

they pull me up on the lorry.. we all have a bed on the lorry now.. GREAT! Ladies in the car safely.. helpful lorry watchman goes around to find a mechanic.

Those couple of hours i will never forget.. it was the probably the best 2 hours we've slept on the entire trip, never did we sleep so peacefully on those mattresses.. or the soft seats of the car.

Its day break.. my wife clicks a couple of pictures... hehe..

A friendly sardarji comes to help.. everybody tries their different something on the clutch cylinder mounted on the gearbox. They do something n something and the clutch suddenly comes alive. YAY!

I take the wheel then as Mazhar is fully sleepy.. After about an hour of peaceful driving.. the clutch is pressed again.. (apparently the cylinder is leaking break fluid), i take off my footwear and pick up the clutch with my foot.. its back alive again.. and the gear is working..great! i do this for the next hour or so..

press the clutch , put gear, pull it back up with foot.. its working...

we've almost reached Ambala now.. and suddenly at some petrol pump, the clutch goes again. Its not working anymore if i pull it back up. Its almost 8-8.30 am. I ask the fellow at the pump for a mechanic... He promptly calls one mr. suri saab.

There's a restaurant at the pump, and whoever wanted to get fresh, they did.

The mechanic came, did i little bit of ched chad, and says-

sir jee, iska kuch nahi ho sakta, iska toh gear box hi kholna padega.
kyun bhai?
Ye naya model hai, clutch ka cylinder gear box ke andar hota hai. wo cylinder badalna padega.
hmmmm...
poori clutch cylinder ki kit aati hai, wo badalni hogi.
kitne kharcha? aur time.
sir jee, ye toh 5-6 ghante ka kaam hai, aur aapko 4-5 hazaar lagenge.
GULP!

we've already overrun our budget.. and we have little money left.

bhai, aap kuch temporary kardo bas 200km delhi tak pahunch jaaye..

after much discussions and spilling of break oil, he took 200rs. and taught us the technique of starting the car in gear which we had been doing through the night. i buy another can of break oil, and start it in gear.. 1st gear now, and we're slowly crawling toward ambala city.

i told mazhar, that if we're to get it repaired we might as well do it in a mahindra service center.. and very luckily we see one within the next KM...
we slowly roll into the garage, explain the problem to the manager there, he asks for the manual and RC.

We have the RC, but the moron hasn't even kept the manual in the car. Great!

Some discussion later.. he makes an estimate of around 12K+... he's also put in clutch plates cost.. on enquiring.. he says that its just an estimate and you'll only be charged if the part is used.

hmmm....

So, the repair starts.. we make ourselves comfortable in the customer lounge. The chief mechanic assures us that it'll be done in 2-3 hours. He then gives us the shocker that clutch plates are also worn out and needs new plates. GREAT! what else..

nai gaadi khareed lun...?

i wished i could buy a new scorpio from them and zoom off to homesweethome!!! this is turning out to be a nightmare of a trip!

At around 1 pm, we have good news.. repairs are done! I go for a test drive.. everything is great! the clutch seems like MASKA!!

i go to a nearby ATM, the bill has come to 14,000! hand on my heart.. i take out money from my account.

I come back to the service center, ask the mechanic to check everything once more, and go up to pay the bill. The manager is having lunch and we have to wait. I ask the ladies to get ready.

Suddenly, the mechanic shouts...

CLUTCH PHIR GIR GAYA!!!

KYA?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(CHOOOOO CHAAAAA!)

PICS: me on lorry!

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1121.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1122.jpg
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:02   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post

press the clutch , put gear, pull it back up with foot.. its working...
Are you still driving a car??

This is like crazy, the amount of repair youn have done on the car. Dont, tell me there's more.

Hats off to you to maintain your cool after all this!!
rupin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
Do you remember mahindra A.S.S's name in ambala?
Was it chandgothia by any chance?
had i know earlier i could have helped you,we know them pretty well.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 30th May 2010 at 22:21.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:39   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupin_s View Post
Are you still driving a car??

This is like crazy, the amount of repair youn have done on the car. Dont, tell me there's more.

Hats off to you to maintain your cool after all this!!
maintaining my cool.... wait till you read the rest of the stuff...

and i'm happily driving my swift after this. no touching other cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice.
Do you remember mahindra A.S.S's name in ambala?
Was it chandgothia by any chance?
had i know earlier i could have helped you,we know them pretty well.
exactly.. chandgothia.. mr.swami there.

well, its done now.. they did help us , my next post will highlight this point.

Last edited by unoczar : 30th May 2010 at 23:41. Reason: edit