Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th June 2010, 16:25   #211
BHPian

[quote=ram17bhp;1897550]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
'

great, half an hour later after tasting the WURST biryani of our lives, we get out of there. I mean we're Hyderabadis!!! The restaurant claimed that their biryani was the finest, saalon tum hyderabad aao, yaha ek bandi waala bhi tumse achhi biryani banayga!

happens when a hyderabadi eats biryani out of hyderabad. I avoid eating biryani anywhere out of hyderabad specially when they say its Hyderabadi biryani. great going unoczar , waiting for the phataak to begin.
>>> You will get very good biryani in Delhi and Lucknow. And these won't be the Hyderabadi biryani either. In Lucknow you will most likely get dum biryani.

You have to know where to find good biryani and visitors will have to depend on luck or solid information to strike gold (aka good biryani)

P.S. : In my years in Mumbai, I am yet to find really good biryani or even good Mughlai or Awadhi cuisine!
Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:27   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to be contd...
Aisaich hoshayari ke kamaa karna.
Char line likhe aur bolte "to be contd...".
Kaya yaroon.

Last edited by download2live : 4th June 2010 at 16:28.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:01   #213
BHPian

[quote=issigonis;1921130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram17bhp View Post

>>> You will get very good biryani in Delhi and Lucknow. And these won't be the Hyderabadi biryani either. In Lucknow you will most likely get dum biryani.

You have to know where to find good biryani and visitors will have to depend on luck or solid information to strike gold (aka good biryani)

P.S. : In my years in Mumbai, I am yet to find really good biryani or even good Mughlai or Awadhi cuisine!
Regards
yes, you are right; lucknow probably does serve some authentic food. But in Delhi i'd just prefer to have old delhi stuff.. kulchas, pooris, halwa, tikkis etc (SLURP )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Read the entire travelogue in one go....what a way to travel almost the entire length of the country. One of the best I have read in Tbhp for some time now.

Waiting to see why you had to stop not for the first time with an "incident of mention".
hehe... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
arey bhai this is like watching a new movie on sony entertainment, as the movie gets closer to the end the commercial break gets longer and we see more of them:(
just a bit busy sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Aisaich hoshayari ke kamaa karna.
Char line likhe aur bolte "to be contd...".
Kaya yaroon.

are yaaron, tum bhi kam nahi ho... baigan, tamate!!

jaldi likhta hun..
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:10   #214
BANNED

Dude, you are writing this so I know you are ALIVE....!!!!

Otherwise, this looks like some "last few minutes of life" kind of stories, written live by the writer.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:22   #215
BHPian

Arre kya khaleed bhai, main 31 aur 1 ko char char bar check kiya ke koi naya post aya hai kya. Kuch nahi tha. Aur ab likhe bhi itna thoda. Aage badho janab. Don't make it similar to the evening saas bahu serials on TV. Aise to patience khatam ho jayega.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Thoda jaldi likho bhaijaan!
Yeh suspense kuch bahut zyaada hai!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:44   #217
BHPian

Default Day 15 Early Morning

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-1.jpg

I was making this on MS PAINT... hehe..

this is a simulation.. well, sort of... of what happened.. i dozed off at the wheel with everybody sleeping and as luck would have it, there was a curve in the road, that made me go over to the other side.. the WRONG side.

And.. very peculiarly.. the divider had slots in between may be to let water flow.... that made matters even worse.. i probably woke up on the divider.. and in a split second swerved the car to the shoulder of the road.. as you see in the diagram.

Luckily, no truck/lorry was coming from the other side. Luckily, i could park it safely even with 3 of the tyres/wheels burst/broken. Luckily, no one even got a scratch!

THank the almighty! we are safe! but SHOCKED! the story continues tonight.

=================
This was like they show on TV... "Coming up..."
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:52   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Luckily, no truck/lorry was coming from the other side. Luckily, i could park it safely even with 3 of the tyres/wheels burst/broken. Luckily, no one even got a scratch!
Thats a very lucky escape indeed. How fast were you going?.

The Almighty sure was watching over you.
rupin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:53   #219
BHPian

Quote:
THank the almighty! we are safe! but SHOCKED! the story continues tonight. This was like they show on TV... "Coming up..."
I bet your damn lucky unoczar ..... waiting for the rest of the hungama.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:27   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupin_s View Post
Thats a very lucky escape indeed. How fast were you going?.

The Almighty sure was watching over you.

as i said, the road was good.. so i would been over around 80... and only god knows the speed when i dozed off.

the rest will be posted tonight late night or tomorrow... going out now.. sorry.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 22:43   #221
BHPian

Default Day 15 Early Morning

Day 15, 4 am

Screeech.... Thud... dhadam.... dhudum....

(background) AAiyeee!!!.. aaayiiiooooo.... Ya Allah!

yes, i heard all those sounds.

Wrestling with the steering and bringing it to a safe halt.. thats all i was thinking. Done that, i check around... people at the back... all ok? yes. good.

Mazhar in front seat... AMAZING Guy... he's still sleeping!!

abe! uth!
huh? kya hua? (sleeps again)
utho saab, accident ho gaya!
kya? so jao jee. (wakes up like nothing happened and goes back to sleep)

he gets up after a min. realizing what had happened.

Its still dark outside, i get out and check for damage. It looks really bad, the front - crashguard is bent but ok, so engine and everything else under the hood should be ok.

Tyres- real bad..

front right... tyre has a big hole, big enough to put your arm through it, twisted under the weight of the car, ok.

rear right... tyre - same as front.

rear left... looks ok.

front left... no pressure , doesn't look burst though.

Ok, what do we do.. i try calling up mahindra care, man says help can reach only by 8am. i think of calling 100 or 108.... people warn me against it... case ho jayega!

i think and say to myself.. lets sleep a little and we'll see in the morning.

Day time:

Its around 5:30-6.00 people have gathered and i get out, mazhar has found a piece of metal on the divider.. its a broken alloy wheel .. great!

Apparently, apart from the crash guard, 2 tyres were burst wide open, 1 wheel was broken into pieces, (i dont know how the beast was standing on it??), 2 wheels were bent, and leaking air..

i was praying that we shouldn't have to buy another wheel.. we wouldn't get that here..!!

One of the villagers had a Scorpio, great! he offered to help us by taking the tyre to a puncture wala and getting them repaired.

We also needed another tyre, and the same guy offered a 2nd hand one which he had in his house.

Ok, so after assessing all the tyres and wheels, we needed to buy one tyre and the two bent wheels would need tubes inside the tyres to hold the air.

Great.. pehle hi paison ki watt lagi hui thi. Disaster of a trip. 20,000 ka budget, and already we've spent more than double.

We go with the fellow, who takes his time, does his things on the way too... we go to the puncture waala first, and he also checks out the tyres.

sirf ek tyre mil jaaye toh kaam ho jayega!

we went to the man's house and he brings out an old worn out scorpio tyre, but it'll do... anything would do... the situation we're in.

So after wasting more time fixing things... and bearing the terrible heat, we have 4 good tyres at about noon, we say bye to the villagers.

The man from whom i had bought the tyre and who helped us, had already taken Rs. 150 for diesel on the way. Now he demanded another Rs.2000/- for the tyre... i mean it wasn't worth even 500! I silently gave him the money. The puncture fellow also looted me by taking 1200/- for two tubes he put in.. fake ones we later learnt.

Villagers then invited us to have bhindi roti at their place which we gladly accept.

Bhooka kabhi mana karta hai khaane ko?

Off toward gwalior now, which we should have reached way early!

I'm dead tired now, mazhar had found time in between to sleep a little.

40 KM afterwards... the tyre with tube and bent rim is leaking air. we're again stuck but near a dhaba which has a small puncture shop.

Wasted more than 2 hours there, trying to figure out what to do.. Even the nuts/bolts wouldn't open now due to the heat.

Oh this is terrrible!! Ladies in the car, cursing the heat, mazhar and friend's bro in the dhaba.... (mazhar cannot even walk without having rice and needs some desperately!), i come back to the car and sleep. (i feel that this is worse than police torture!)

I get up due to some commotion, and see that the tyre is fixed.. how? they've taken out the tube and placed a piece of rubber where the wheel is bent. Brilliant! it still leaks air, but slowly, we can make it to Gwalior at last!

I drive with adrenaline pumping.. they must catch some sleep now.. I rush into gwalior, stopping at every air pump, pumping air wherever i can into the leaking tyre.

I enter Gwalior city and spend close to an hour looking for a shop that sells spare wheels.

Finally i find one at Indragunj (or something like that) we stop there, buy a normal wheel for 1100/- and fit the wheel and tyre.

We hadn't gone to a toilet since i don't know how long, and were also hungry... Ladies went into a nearby school, and i found a masjid.

Nature calls attended, i bought some fruits, and veg puffs (patties, as they are called in the north) and inspected the car. Looked good for direct Hyderabad.. I really missed home now.

We leave Gwalior at last, and move to jhansi. Through the night we drive toward sagar, and at one point of time i was feeling sleepy again... stopped within 5 seconds of my first feeling of sleepyness!!! hehe....

We slept on the charpoys for the first time.. ladies in the car of course. At around 4 am we get up and i drive toward sagar. We were doing good time now and stopped at a pump for toilets. (a little after sagar, perhaps!)

Mazhar suddenly sees the only tyre which was good till now.. the left rear..

bhai, iska bhi kaam ho gaya!!
KYA?!! nahi!!!

We din't have a spare tyre now... ! Oh No! what else is going to happen to us?

Final episode tomorrow!

Last edited by unoczar : 4th June 2010 at 22:47. Reason: mistake
Old 4th June 2010, 22:52   #222
BHPian

Default Some Pics

Pictures from the house near the accident site.

I've never seen so many parrots together.

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1143.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1145.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1148.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1150.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1151.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1152.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-1153.jpg
Old 4th June 2010, 23:50   #223
BHPian

Quote:

And he was in the front seat too, i've simply got no words for this guy!!

iT'S HARD TO BELIEVE ALL THIS HAPPENED IN one TRIP!
rupin_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 23:59   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
abe! uth!
Kabhi Mazhar ko Hyderabad ke meets mein leke aana!
Uska counseling hum log karte hain! LOL!

Masha allah! BTW, It was your lucky day that nothing serious happened!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 00:52   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

abe! uth!
Ghode bech ke sona isko bolte hain

Khaleed bhai, you sure are lucky to be writing this travelogue.

Khuda meherbaan to bandaa pehelwaan.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote