Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th May 2010, 14:48   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It's SHIKAN-JAWI and not SHIK-WANJI.

And yes, you are right, SHIKANJAWI and SHIKANJI is one and a same thing used to quench thirst.
SHIKANPANJIWUNJIJAMPI!!! nimbu sharbat! thats what i'll call it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice.
I am hooked.
btw is that Bat dead or what?
Run-out! hehe..

yeah that one was dead, somehow got a feeling i should take its photo, there were lots in the lower floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Jagga is the hero of the travelogue put up by SmartCat.
hmmm.... link please? must be good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
CZAR.How i wish we had history teachers like you during our school days. I would have certainly stayed away from evil thoughts such as locking up my history teacher in a dungeon and throw away the key into outer space !
hehe.. thanks, never liked history myself.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:59   #77
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's the link of the thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-flights.html (100,000 kms on Indian Highways, 6 treks & a Couple of Flights)

Jagga makes his appearance from the post below.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1748316-post119.html
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 15:25   #78
BHPian

Nice going unoczar. You have got nice narration skills full of humor!
Waiting for your next installment.
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 18:37   #79
BHPian

Default To Agra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
Nice going unoczar. You have got nice narration skills full of humor!
Waiting for your next installment.
'

thanks here you go...

Another peculiar problem we faced in Gwalior, or for that matter all throughout the journey was the need for the ladies to get fresh (you know what i mean). We men have little or no problem with these things, we can go anywhere, Sulabh, Bus stands, small hotels, dhabas etc. Ladies.. hmmm.... as soon as they want to go, they ask us to stop at the nearest possible place. Then, they ask us to go "investigate", if they place is good enough for doing it. I mean, its a toilet, C'mon! you don't have to stay there for a night.. just do it and get out of there.. but no! it has to be just right. PHEW! women...

Now, as soon as we saw this mall in gwalior, we dropped all the 3 ladies there, Malls are a heaven for women - just think about it - shopping, eating, relaxing and even that. ALL in one or rather.. MALL IN ONE! lol!

ok, my wife is gonna kill me, i must post this fast.

This is our 3rd evening, on the trip...

Gwalior to Agra, if i remember correctly its just 115 km. Soon, by nightfall we're in Agra. Nice neat roads dotted with hotels, both sides, hotels, hotels and more hotels. Small ones, big ones all kinds. I say to everybody that lets get as close as possible to the Taj, so that we can go visit it early in the morning as it opens at 6AM. Good, so we find the eastern entrance to the Taj, or was it western? whatever... we're almost about to cross the police barricade, when a cop stops us,

Kidhar?
Taj band ho chuka hai!
Oh! acha, wapas ghuma re!, sorry sorry...

as soon as we turn, this tall fair fellow on a small bike (CD 100 perhaps) asks us to stop and asks us to check out this hotel RASHMI!.. my wife's ecstatic!

two of us go check out the rooms, neat n clean... looks new construction.
small but good.

Rent?
600 with AC, sir.
panch sau , hum teen room lenge.
theek hai sir, aye, saman le ke aa!

my friend stops me.. says, we should have dinner first and then check in. i tell him, saale 500 mein aur kya chahiye? but he was skeptical of how we were approached by this guy on the road.

We left, the guy asks-

sir, kuch problem hai to batao...
nahi, nahi, hum abhi khana khake aate hai
nahi sir kuch problem hogi, aap bata do hum theek kar denge..
abhi aayenge bhai....

we go back to the main road... and the next one hour was the most frustrating till now... we made almost 5-6 rounds of the nearest market, its almost 11pm, everything's about to close, and we cant decide on a place to eat or stay. I am getting angry now... grrr!

I loudly protest and point to a hotel, we're eating here! or we go to sleep empty stomach! everyone says ok.

great, half an hour later after tasting the WURST biryani of our lives, we get out of there. I mean we're Hyderabadis!!! The restaurant claimed that their biryani was the finest, saalon tum hyderabad aao, yaha ek bandi waala bhi tumse achhi biryani banayga!

My wife being a veggie, ordered soft noodles which was fairly decent. Noodles finished, biryani wasted. Bill 1300/- i'm angry again. i dont like wasting stuff, food or money....

Anyways, now we still have to find a place to stay.. i ask everyone,

wo hotel Rashmi mein kharabi kya thi?
kuch nahi bas aadmi theek nahi dikhra tha..
wo mai sambhal lunga, shall we go?
ok.

Phew! at last we're back at hotel Rashmi, little did we know that it had a balcony restaurant, which served pretty cheap and decent food
This we discovered next morning breakfast.

In a hurried fashion, we rush into the rooms, AC ON, Lights OFF> ITs Taj tomorrow!

Thoughts: While coming to Agra, i was saying to my friend that,

baap, hotel aisa hona chahiye jaha se subah uthte hi taj dikhe

But its night, hotel fellow said Taj is just half a KM away, will we see the Taj tomorrow morning? wo toh kal hi malum hoga... hehe...

PICS: Our hotel, and the person most eager to see the Taj Mahal! Maqbara of Love!
Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-199.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-201.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-214.jpg

Last edited by unoczar : 20th May 2010 at 18:39. Reason: formatting
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 19:23   #80
BHPian

Khaalid bhai, excellent narration continuing.. Your hilarious style is making this thread feeling like seeing it live! And your honest 'masala quotes', in words as it happened, not in translated somber words, makes it all the more interesting. Enjoying fully.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 06:48   #81
BHPian

Default Taj Mahal from the Balcony! yes we saw it!

day 4:

i got up earlier than others as usual, came out of the room, looking for tea, found the hotel guys relaxing near the kitchen, asked one of them for a cup of tea, walked up to the balcony restaurant and voila! i could see the dome of the Taj Mahal!!! Incredible!
Last night's thought turns into reality, i mean i wasnt even thinking of that today and it has come true, i rush in to wake my wife first,

suno, utho, bahut so liye..
kya hai?
utho, aao chai peeyenge, thandi ho jaari
bring it here na..please?
nahi, the hotel fellow says no tea in room ;-)
fine, fine... (walking up to the point)
aaaaaaaaaaa!, wow! ye ich hai taj mahal?
haan!

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-200.jpg

i rush in to wake the others as well.. good start to the morning.

The hotel fellow, LAL his name was i guess, offered to get the tickets to the Taj as the counter is far and on the other side! Fine, i give him 150/- 20x7 for tickets and 10rs. tip.

Soon, everyone's ready, ladies take their time, we have sumptous Aloo parathas for breakfast, and the sun is already beating down. Oh no! the heat is terrible!

By 9 am we are ready to go visit Shahjahan and his begum saheba.

As soon as we get down from the hotel, TANGA! All 7 of us into the Tanga! The horse must be cursing us!

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-218.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-226.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-227.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-228.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-230.jpg

Slowly we reach the entrance. Guides, small kids with all sorts of trinkets start bothering us. "nahi chahiye, bhai!"

I grab an umbrella for rent. 20 rs. not bad considering the heat.

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-233.jpg

And.. we walk into the Taj Mahal, All the security fellows are staring at me, like i'm gonna blow up the Taj today (having a beard is a sin for them!)

The whole experience of watching and feeling the great monument was enthralling. I'll let the pictures do the talking here.

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-238.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-240.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-247.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-257.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-262.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-264.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-284.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-276.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-288.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-289.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-290.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-294.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-296.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-298.jpg

Its almost noon when we get out of there. As soon as we exit,, OH no! shopping time!
Marble everywhere, and double triple rates. i say to my wife-

abhi jabalpur se aaye hum, waha marble to dirt cheap tha, waha zyada kuch nahi liya aapne?
Are? Agra mein shopping nahi karna kya?
(i gave no answer!)

Soon, after buying some pethas, we return to the hotel, its past 1 now, and we decide to have lunch there itself, more aloo parathas and dal rice. Not bad.

Its now time to exit Agra and go to delhi, the highway wont take much time, but delhi traffic will. It took us the same amount of time to do 170 KMs, as it did to do the last 30-40 odd to reach the house of my aunt in delhi. metro traffic?!! huh!

We greet them and have dinner, and soon its time to sleep, we're now making plans on how to tackle the himachal terrain.

I had originally planned to do dehradun, mussoorie, and then to narkanda, kufri, shimla, manali, mandi, dharamsala etc.

god knows why, we decided to skip dehradun, and head straight to shimla.

So, shimla it is tomorrow and our troubles start... remember PHATAAAK!??

by the way, we;re still push starting the car since jabalpur, the battery fellow says battery is as good as new. we dont know what to do? :-(

day 4 ends... day 5 delhi sightseeing and shimla and PHATAAAK!

Last edited by unoczar : 21st May 2010 at 06:58. Reason: spelling
unoczar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 10:36   #82
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Your driver is a natural driver! Look at the way he's perched on the tanga holding the reins! And it does get very unnerving with that beard you sport. Forget Taj, try an international holiday to US or Europe. Remember what happened to SRK, Kamal hassan (just for the names) and even the great APJ.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 11:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post

day 4 ends... day 5 delhi sightseeing and shimla and PHATAAAK!
Can't wait to read this, get them going ASAP... PHATAAAK!
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 11:44   #84
ram17bhp

Talking

[quote=unoczar;1896586]'

great, half an hour later after tasting the WURST biryani of our lives, we get out of there. I mean we're Hyderabadis!!! The restaurant claimed that their biryani was the finest, saalon tum hyderabad aao, yaha ek bandi waala bhi tumse achhi biryani banayga!

happens when a hyderabadi eats biryani out of hyderabad. I avoid eating biryani anywhere out of hyderabad specially when they say its Hyderabadi biryani. great going unoczar , waiting for the phataak to begin.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Everyone who's read this travelouge says "Superb Travelouge", "Good Travelouge", etc etc but I have only one thing to say

"Subhaan Allah" and yes I m the first one to rate it as well. Five Star..
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:15   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Your driver is a natural driver! Look at the way he's perched on the tanga holding the reins! And it does get very unnerving with that beard you sport. Forget Taj, try an international holiday to US or Europe. Remember what happened to SRK, Kamal hassan (just for the names) and even the great APJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Can't wait to read this, get them going ASAP... PHATAAAK!
[quote=ram17bhp;1897550]
Quote:
'

happens when a hyderabadi eats biryani out of hyderabad. I avoid eating biryani anywhere out of hyderabad specially when they say its Hyderabadi biryani. great going unoczar , waiting for the phataak to begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Everyone who's read this travelouge says "Superb Travelouge", "Good Travelouge", etc etc but I have only one thing to say

"Subhaan Allah" and yes I m the first one to rate it as well. Five Star..

Hey, a big THANK YOU! to everyone. you guys have put me on the moon, i feel so happy. thanks again. i'll post ASAP, there's a lot more to come, apart from the car troubles, the worst day of my life's also coming up.

Looking at this smiley.. i recollect this was exactly how i looked like.. on the day. suspense unfolds tonight!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Neat travelogue, was glued to it past few days like the story telling part ... you can be a good director for sure

btw your driver is the "hero" of the logue hehehe

cant wait for the "phataaki" .....
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:22   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at this smiley.. i recollect this was exactly how i looked like.. on the day. suspense unfolds tonight!
Oh Man ... You are making everyone to get glued to this thread... rather we cant concentrate in our daily activities ...

Last edited by ranjith.rajaram : 21st May 2010 at 13:26.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:56   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
suspense unfolds tonight!
Tonight?? Grrr. that's why I don't read the travelogues when they just starts. The wait is killing for a good travelogue and this is one heck of a good one. Eagerly waiting for the next episode.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 14:00   #90
Team-BHP Support

So you finally did the trip that you have been thinking of doing. Like everyone said, this travelogue is one of the most hatke that even i have read in long time.

Totally unpretentious, simple and down to earth. Most importantly i must credit you for putting the hydeez on the tbhp map by using our flavoursome lingo.

Look forward to next installment, till here the journey was rocking and suspense filled.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote