Old 21st May 2010, 20:51   #106
BHPian

Default video from jama masjid tower.

unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 21:12   #107
BHPian

Default Himachal horrors

Hmmm... To Shimla then,

We started from Delhi in the evening... Just to find the highway in delhi is tough. Traffic in the evenings is.. ah better not talk about it.

Its already sunset time when we exit NCR. NH1 is smooth, you better be well rested to drive on this as you can easily doze off... its so smooth.

Ok, I take the wheel soon as others are tired. They grab a small bite and doze off, and i take us to AMbala. About 200 KMs, easily done in around 2 hours. I stop just outside Ambala at a restaurant called Armaan. Nice looking from outside, magar mujhe kya malum tha, mere dil ke Armaan neeche se niklenge, saari raat!!! booo :((

Well, Dinner finished, Mazhar is rested and ready to take us uphill to Shimla thru the night. Half the way is Plain and half of it is mountains.

Ok guys.. start counting, i lost count myself. Right after finishing dinner, i have to go.. to the toilet, its not so urgent, but i go anyways, as i must sleep thru the night.

Fortunately, i do get some sleep, until i am woken up by mazhar who is stopped at a check post. A very strict looking police wala takes mazhar into the station, mazhar comes out smiling after 2 mins.

kya hua?
kuch nahi sab theek hai.
kitna diya?
do sau.
50-100 mei nahi mana?
are bhai mere paas license bhi nahi hai.
KYA?!!!
bola na pehleich!
kab? saale tu marvayega!
koi fikr ki baat nahi hai.
tu ye baat nakko bol bas, khamush chala gaadi ab.

(Now, we can laugh at this, but he almost got caught by the army in Kashmir, close shave, coming up later)

Now, the climb starts and the skies too open up. Suddenly it has increased and the rain is heavy.

I was thinking to myself, agar yaha baarish ho rahi hai, to manali mein barf toh pad rahi hogi!!!

The Scorpio has one big drawback i feel, it throws you around too much. The people in the middle and the back are most affected. Now, given my stomach condition i'm not to be moved much, but mazhar saab.. swish , swooosh, swish , swoosh... in the rain that too.. are bhai thoda dheere chala, yaha condition sahi nahi hai.
ok, bhai
.... swish, swoosh!!
Grrrr!!!
Azer bhai
(my friend), next pump dikhte hi gaadi rukwao, i need to go urgent.
ok.

Soon, a pump comes, its raining and i must go quickly otherwise it will be too embarrassing.
Done, relieved, i climb back in to the car. As soon as he starts driving, the pressure builds again, and i'm remembering johny lever in KNPH.

*kuch kehne sunne ki shakti nahi hai* LOL

10-15 mins. later.. another pump shows up.. ROK DE!!! ROK!

wo kya kehte hai? Raining cats and dogs.. ?
with no current to boot.. and i'm aiming in the dark... phew, kya kya karna padra yaaro!

Then, i get some rest, and its almost morning. We we're nearing shimla now.

Azer bhai.. pehla hotel dikhte hi le lo.. meri haalat theek nahi.
ok!

Shimla bus stand, possibility of hotels.. good!
Suddenly i hear loud cries, mazhar speeds up the car and whizzes past the buildings around.

Soon, we're in the mountains again, i ask him-

kya hua be?
are thode log car lootne waale they, maine bhaga liya!
bakwaas nakko kar, yaha haalat kharab hai, tujhe mazakh soojhra hai.
nahi bhai sahi mai.
(Later i inquired, they were guides and brokers for hotels, if we had stopped, i wouldnt have been embarrased.)

Now you guys are thinking, ye embarrassment kyun..

Well, 3-4 baar toh already ho chuka. Now we're about 2-3 KMs from Kufri and i need to go again.. ye kaha phas gaya mai!!????

i cant hold it anymore!

Mazhar kuch kar!!
bhai, yaha kuch nahi hai..
great, wo paani ka bottle diyo mujhe,

i get out, looking for an isolated spot, i have never done this my entire life. Its the sort of things you joke about with your friends always, but now facing it in real.. its not funny!!

Its mountain on one side, valley on the other. KYA KARU?! i call mazhar, we climb on to a gap in the mountain and a spot opens up, this will do..

mazhar..
haan?
palat ke khada ho jaa, dekh koi aara toh nahi
acha bhai.

I must do this now, i find a small rock, keep the bottle on it, i see some movement on my right.. Azer is trying to climb up too!?! what the hell?!!

Tamasha dekhne aara hai kya?
wapas jaao!!!! GO!!!

ok, back to work, its my last chance... and OH!..... phew!
jaan bachi, izzat bachi.

we really need a hotel now. No bookings and everything is closed. We look a little bit further.. pressure building up again.. oh this is not looking good..

Suddenly! PHATAAAK!!! smoke coming from the bonnet.. everyone's scared, i'm worried about my stomach...

kya hua?
(mazhar) battery phut gayi shayad..
gaadi off kar, jaldi dekh.

it was the battery.. casing blast, acid all over.. they put some water and enquire about a mechanic. No mechanic here.. go back to shamoli on the way to shimla... a guy says.

But i need to go... and i see on the right side.. there's something under construction.. i go in the repeat procedure.. phew!

We turn back, and come to place called CHARABRA! i was the only one who noticed this hotel Madhuban...

wo dekh ek hotel hai.. palta de gaadi..

he turns quickly and the gate is closed. Azer runs to wake up the caretaker.. funnily he comes out in his underwear.. the temperature is around 8-10 degrees!! On seeing us, he rushes in wears his pants... comes back again.

I also go in..

jee saab jee..
teen room chahiye..
room toh mil jayenge saab, magar..neeche ek hai, aur upar do milenge, kiraya...
(me) bhai, mujhe toilet jaana hai urgent..
nahi saab pehle room le lijiye, phir..
acha bhai... le liya room.. ab jau?
theek hai jaiye....

i do my thing.. they do the bargaining. we settle at 2145 for the 3 rooms incl. taxes. not bad.

Soon, we settle down with our bags in the respective rooms, and i have to go again...how many times... i cant count.

Its early morning.. its cold.. he gives us some RAZAIs, good i get some sleep.

I wake up around 10-10.30.. order a cup of curd from the restaurant next door. That soothes a little, feeling much better, i take a look around.. fresh Roses of all colors, Large mountains in the distance, freshness of the greenery, chilly breeze blowing.. this was exactly what we came here for..

Cool!

Relaxing in the garden, i sit with an empty mind.. this feels nice.

Talking to the caretaker, we plan to go to kufri in the afternoon and narkanda if possible, then come back here and manali next morning.

The road side shops set up by the Tibetan Refugees have opened up, Ladies are excited on seeing the woolens... Great! Shopping ne toh yaha pahadon mei bhi nahi chora!

Guys, enough masala for the night i guess..!

C ya... More rain and Kufri tomorrow... fingers are tired typing...

some pics...

key:

nh1
nh1 shaky
Armaan hotel, ambala
Himalayas
Roses
scorpio
more flowers...

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-336.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-340.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-348.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-349.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-351.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-353.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-354.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-355.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-356.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-357.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-358.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-361.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-363.jpg
unoczar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:03   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, no pics of that burst battery?? and the insides of the engine area?

From Armaan to Madhuban with fertilizer distribution in between! Good going, pal!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:08   #109
BHPian

Default Phataaak!

Wow, you doing a zoom at Qutub Minar in your video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
I stop just outside Ambala at a restaurant called Armaan. Nice looking from outside, magar mujhe kya malum tha, mere dil ke Armaan neeche se niklenge, saari raat!!! booo
Nice episode with details. Then suddenly PHATAAAK !!!

But on a serious note, you had lots of oily stuff at Malviya Nagar and that too in the afternoon of the summers. Either this was the culprit or you must have drunk water after having the melon (Kharbuza) at Jama Masjid.

Quote:
Suddenly! PHATAAAK!!! smoke coming from the bonnet.. everyone's scared, i'm worried about my stomach...
Best one till now.

Quote:
it was the battery.. casing blast, acid all over.. they put some water and enquire about a mechanic. No mechanic here.. go back to shamoli on the way to shimla... a guy says.
It is Sanjauli (if coming from Shimla then it's after crossing the tunnel ) and not shamoli. Lots of garages out there.

Quote:
wo dekh ek hotel hai.. palta de gaadi..
Palta de gaadi ?

By the way, did Mazhar bhai, bought his sunglasses from Agra?

Also, please cover the remaining days in details like this one but with more number of photographs. Keep it up!

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 22nd May 2010 at 00:10.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:24   #110
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And now you tell me he doesn't have a license either.

This is not a travelogue. This is Jaspal Bhatti show!

Quote:
Azer runs to wake up the caretaker.. funnily he comes out in his underwear..
Thank god he didn't come out with a bottle as well.

I'm rolling around reading this post. Haalath kharaab hai (has has ke).
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:10   #111
BHPian

This is great. Please keep up the good work.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:52   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hey, no pics of that burst battery?? and the insides of the engine area?

From Armaan to Madhuban with fertilizer distribution in between! Good going, pal!
i don't have them right now, i'll try n get the pics of acid damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Wow, you doing a zoom at Qutub Minar in your video.

Nice episode with details. Then suddenly PHATAAAK !!!

But on a serious note, you had lots of oily stuff at Malviya Nagar and that too in the afternoon of the summers. Either this was the culprit or you must have drunk water after having the melon (Kharbuza) at Jama Masjid.

Best one till now.

It is Sanjauli (if coming from Shimla then it's after crossing the tunnel ) and not shamoli. Lots of garages out there.

Palta de gaadi ?

By the way, did Mazhar bhai, bought his sunglasses from Agra?

Also, please cover the remaining days in details like this one but with more number of photographs. Keep it up!

Cheers!
Irish

Palta de.. U turn. Hyderabadi ISHTYLE.
Sanjauli.. shamoli... you can understand my plight on that day... see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
This is great. Please keep up the good work.
thanks... i hope u understand the languages used in this one..?
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:42   #113
BHPian

@unoczar

No problem with the language. I really enjoyed the whole read so far.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Wow nice going, lolz when downloading goes out of control esp when you travelling it can be one of the worst nightmares! always keep an eldoper handy!( however need to consult your doc that your system will be fine with it)
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

That last part was the best one till now. I was literally rolling on the floor. And the best was "are thode log car lootne waale they, maine bhaga liya!". Man, your driver is an amazing class act. You'll never forget this trip due his antiques.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:38   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Great Going. Where did you stay in Shimla? Waiting to see how it looks in summers?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:58   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great Going. Where did you stay in Shimla? Waiting to see how it looks in summers?

thanks. we stayed at charabra.. a place between shimla and kufri, pics are posted already. .

thats all i got from that area... next is Shimla to Mandi and Manali, it was
raining very heavily at the time.

i was thinking... snow in summers would have been an apt title.

Last edited by unoczar : 22nd May 2010 at 13:58. Reason: addition
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:30   #118
BHPian

Default Sunday special 1

Surprisingly everyone's up by noon. To this our caretaker (Keshavji) says,

aap log itni der se kaha jaoge? mausam bhi kharab hai..
kyun abhi toh 12 hi baje hai
aap ko toh subah hi nikal jaana tha..kufri ghoom aate, naarkanda bhi ghoom aate, phir shaam mein aake yahi so jaana tha... (he gave us the room for a little more than 24 hours.)
haan keshavji, hum subah subah hi toh aaye hai, ab jaldi nikal ke ghoom ke aate hai...

But wait, the battery, till this time, mazhar bhai has gone and enquired in sanjoli about the battery, a fellow has agreed to take this blown up one and give us a new one for 2800!!?
i cant believe it.

bhai, battery mil gayi!
kitna poochra une?
ye purani leke atthaissau!
dimaag kharab hai tera?
maruti ki battery nahi, scorpio ki chahiye!
meri swift ki hi 3600 mein aayi thi.
discount deta kete! aap chalo na chal ke poochlo.
chal, ATM pe bhi rukna hai (i say with hesitation)

We go toward sanjoli market and it has more mechanic, oils, spares shops than any other, or so it seems to us.. hehe..

first shop we go to, an old uncle tells us that the Exide MAx will cost you 4,300/- and he can less 400/- so you have to pay 3,900/-, i gave a rapta on the back of mazhar's ear, we move on to the shop fellow who told him 2800/-

chal, tere battery waale ke paas...
acha bhai

Now, remember guys, mazhar to pakka hyderbadi hai... he cant understand the hindi punjabi mix here. But i can, i was born in delhi y'know!!

ok, we come to the shop, the street is narrow and parking here is criminal offence, so mazhar moves on.

bhai, ye scorpio ke liye battery chahiye..exide ki hai?
nahi, saabji, ye XYZ company ki hai.. 85 AMP ki. (The battery is huge and too long to fit)
ye toh bahut badi ho jayegi,
nahi nahi aa jayegi, aap le lo.
kitna bola aapne mere bhai ko? (till then mazhar has come)
athathees sau!
matlab teen hazaar aath sau?
jee haan. (i look at mazhar with my eyebrows fully raised.)
(maz) are, tum atthais sau bole na..
nahi saab jee, atathees sau.

we leave, the battery wasnt standard, and it was too long to fit. He claimed it would fit, but i was in no mood to argue.

Suddenly i spot a shop full of Exide boards, batteries and everything's red in there.

Rok, rok, exide ki agency dikhri!!

i go in.

bhai, hamari battery kharab ho gayi hai.
kya hua?
wo blast ho gayi hai..
KYA?!!! (looked like he lost everything in this world) dikhao mujhe! (he inspects!, comes back)
"Maine apni zindagi mei aisi battery nahi dekhi!!" (i smile)
MAX kitne ki aayegi?
aapko max nahi heavy duty chahiye, 70 AMP waali. max lagaoge toh 2 din baad phir aana padega.
pehle isme kaunsi lagi hui hai? (heavy duty it was!, so this guy was genuine!)
theek hai, kitne ki...
paanch hazaar ki battery hai, aapko eight hundred less ho jayenge! (Gulp!)
ok, aap fitting bhi kar denge.
oh, bilkul zarur.

they both then go to a nearby mechanic to do the fitting, as i wait. In 15 mins. they're back.

sab theek?
haan jee, badiya!
ok, mazhar! start hori?
haan bhai. FERFECT! (???)

I settle the bill, take the warranty card, and thank him.

We go back to the hotel.

So, everyone's hungry as its 3pm now and we go to the adjacent hotel which is wooden and warm and cozy, they (friends) have some dosas, i stare at their faces and their hands putting huge pieces of the warm and tasty dosas into their big mouths. Grrrr! I order another cup of fresh curd and we're good to go.

On the way to Kufri, we are approached by a guide (Name: Humsafer), he offers to take us around kufri, all 6 view points, for just rs. 30/- AAYEN?! suspicious.

He takes us straight to a place, where the only way to go up is by ponies. One person, one pony. Each pony, 250/- AAYEN!? toh ye gadbad hai... setting hai ye janab ki!!! hmmm...

Kufri Fun World (i remembered from AVI bhai's logue) kidhar hai?
yahi se jaana hoga, ghode pe.
aur koi rasta nahi? car nahi jayegi?
nahi.

we refuse the pony ride, and move on, friends say lets go to narkanda... i say ok. We're now zooming past on a good road.. and then suddenly...

Mazhar, Rok!
kya hua?
palta gaadi ko... kuch dikha mujhe!
kya?
palta na bhai..

we go back a little.. and see a big sign.. "WELCOME TO KUFRI FUN WORLD!" we scream with joy!
YAY!

we found the secret entrance!! I inspect the kachcha road and the slope. The scorpio should make it easily. But, it wasnt so easy, as we were 7 in the car and it had rained this morning.

It slipped once or twice, mazhar scared us as he went too close to the edge, reversed on that narrow track.. but made it safely to KFW! we calculated.. we saved 250*7 = 1750/-

But we paid 1400/- for entering KFW with 4 unlimited rides. hmmm...
It has started drizzling now.. and its only an hour and a half left before this places closes..

what?!! they dint tell that while taking the money..? of course not.
But we made the most of the limited time.

Back down the kacha rasta, and toward narkanda. But its almost getting dark now, what will we do there at this time..? Keshavji had said right, go in the morning. Hmmm..

we go 8-10 KMs and come to a small market. We decide to shop a little and go back, its useless in this dark.

SO, we head back to the hotel and my lovely wife gives me some hot knorr soup.. and a real guava juice!

kal se aap kuch nahi khaye
kuch nahi khaye isliye toh chal phir sakre
oh!
soup achha hai. (she smiles)
i feel better now... tum nahi hote toh mera kya hota? (she knows i'm bluffing)
HMPH! (turns away her face..twisting her nose!)

We go to sleep.. Its Manali tomorrow... will we find snow..? i'm optimistic, but all TBHP experts told me... snow in summer?... no way!

lets find out i said.. i go into peaceful slumber.. no food for 24 hours.. and no motions for 12. hmmm.. kuch andar jayega toh niklega na... hehe..

Some pics from Kufri, Hamsafer's card, mountains, flowers, baby apples, our scorpio. (in the scorpio pic, it seems to me.. its saying.. saalon, in pahadon se neeche toh utro phir batati hun tum logo ko!)

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-img001.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-367.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-368.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-370.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-371.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-373.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-375.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-376.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-378.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-379.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-381.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-386.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-390.jpg

Summers in India - south to north... to hell and back!-picture-391.jpg
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:53   #119
BHPian

Default good one

Quote:
Some pics from Kufri, Hamsafer's card, mountains, flowers, baby apples, our scorpio. (in the scorpio pic, it seems to me.. its saying.. saalon, in pahadon se neeche toh utro phir batati hun tum logo ko!)
Good one. It seems something inetersting coming up!
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Good one. It seems something inetersting coming up!

haan, that will be when we leave srinagar, abhi toh bahut time hai...