Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th May 2010, 22:33   #1
BHPian

Default Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues

Hi

The above travelogue was done during the May 1 weekend .

Car ; Scorpio M Hawk
People ; 6 elders + 1 Kid
Number of days ; 3Nights 4 days
Places of Visit ; Srirangam, Tanjavour , Kumbakonam , Thirunallar , followed by the Navagraha temple
While coming back to Bangalore, we visited Namakal Anjaneya swamy and the Lakshmi Narasimha temple
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is a very interesting temple circuit in temple county! Tell us more about the drive, the temple timings and hotels/restaurants which you patronised.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 23:19   #3
BHPian

1200 Kms Srirangam Tanjavur Navagraha Temple on a Scorpio. This travelogue is all about temples and temples ….

The trip :

Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Salem – Namakal - Trichy - Tanjavour – kumbakonnam – Thirunallar . followed by Navagraha temples and back to Trichy – Bangalore .

Day 1 - Friday – April 30-2010
2.30PM
Started the trip @ 2.30 PM with full family starting from Basavanagudi and started towards Hosur road by passing Electronics city bridge .
With the Electronics city fly over up and running ,crossing the peak traffic was easy . We crossed Karnataka and touched Hosur in 20-30 mts flat . The road was superb and we just gliding out on the toll roads of Tamil Nadu .

4.30PM
First stop – Krishna giri A2B Restaurant

Maintaining speeds around 90-100KMPH , we had our first break @ Adyar A2B Restaurant on the right side of the Highway . The Weather was perfect as it started raining and the picture around filled with hills , greenery and what not .

All Dosas Idlies were ordered and ended with a nice coffee . As we were 6 people , and I was the only driver , my folks started exchanging seats to make sure everyone could feel the every part of the Scorpio . Though roads were not bad , all felt that they would like to sit in front , middle and the back seats .

6.30 PM

By 6.30- 7 , we had reached Namakal where the good roads ended and we had to go through thottiyam and Musri . Once we crossed Namakhal , it was raining very heavily . Could not make out what was the next vehicle in front of us . The Scorpio Vipers were put to test . Till Musri , we could not make out and as rightly pointed out in many travelogues , roads are getting repaired with a lot of speed breakers . At the end of every village , a bridge was getting repaired .

8.30 PM

We had reached the toll gate of Trichy and had to cross the bridge to reach Srirangam.

Stay for the night :

Due to the weekend and summer holidays , we could not get bookings in any Hotel in Trichy and near Srirangam . This became a bottle neck . So we goggled out and found a House stay in Trichy .

Trichy Travels, Serviced Apartments, Guest House, accommadation, corporate accommodation, business center, serviced office, hotel room booking, room reservation, attend wedding, attend function,low cost accomadation ( Cost of the Apt for the night was 1,500 Rs )

Trichy Travels we contacted and found they had 7 Apartments very close to Srirangam temple . We just need to cross the Cauvery bridge and take a right turn to Srirangam temples .

We called and booked a 2 Bed room Apartment and then headed towards our Home stay

We met the care taker of Trichy travels and were introduced to a 2 bed room apartment . The apt was neat , was on the 3rd floor and was a bit tedious to take all our luggage . The Apt being in 3rd floor was very hot .

We dumped all our luggage and went towards the Srirangam temple to have dinner for the night . As we were in TN , no diner was available and we had to again have second round of idlies and dosas for the day .

As we all planned to get up for a early morning Darshan , we retired for the night @ 11PM

As it started raining very heavily , the power was on and off in the Apt for a while . We were all dead tired and slept without the power supply in the Apt ( We had one AC room , with another room not having any AC . )

Day 2 - Saturday – May 1 2010

6.00 AM :

All of us got by 6 , had our bath and went towards Srirangam temple for breakfast and then for Darshan .

After finishing breakfast , we entered the temple street . The streets were narrow and filled with lots of tourists , tourist buses parked . We asked for the way to parking .

We entered the main gate and took a left and then hit the deadend and took a right to enter the second round of temple roads . Parked the Scorpio in a cornor and went on foot .

Entered the temple around 7.30 AM and we already could see a lot of people Qing up for the darshan . Entered the main Q complex and found we had 3 Qs to enter the temple .
20 Rs , 50 Rs & 250 Rs / Head to enter the shrine .

We decided to take the 50 Rs Q and found that it was K not so crowded . We had to stand in the Q for Hr and then were in front of the Lord Ranga .

It was almost 10 years back when I had visited the Srirangam temple and felt a lot better to be here after a long gap. We had a very good darshan of the lord and then came out of the Sri rangam temple .

We then went to the Thayiyar temple in the back . Went through the 10 Rs Q and had a darshan .

Coming back we again came back to the main Q complex and had Sakkara Pongal , Puliogre ( 6Rs/ Plate offered by the Srirangam temple )

Probably this was one of the best Pongal we had in recent times .

After having finished the Srirangam temple ,we headed back to the Apartment and started packing .

Once we finished our packing , we handed the keys back to the care takers and started towards Tanjavur ( Brihadeshwara temple ) which is app 50 Kms .
Old 17th May 2010, 23:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

That may be so because of Family deity visit! But the route looks nice. Good + Bad roads (or rather crowded roads I should say).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 23:30   #5
BHPian

Day 2 - Saturday - 11 PM Tanjavur temple .

Below is the photo of the Brihadeshwara temple which i had received from one of my friends long back . I am using this photograph for reference and please note this was not taken during my trip

Now after we left Srirangam , we started towards Tanjavur. The roads are still getting ready and in next 6-8 months should be a toll road . The 4 way road is ready in bits and pieces . But still a good 2 way road is available till Tanjavur .

Once u reach Tanjavur , u have lots of sign boards leading u to the Big temple , the Brihadeshwara temple . The temple architecture is amazing and is under Archeological survey of India . With ASI maintaining the temple , there is not much of commercial activity inside the temple . Please note that cars have to be parked outside the temple on the right end . With our visit on a Saturday with May holidays , the temple was full .We had to wait for the parking lot to get cleared to park our Scorpio . With last days rain , the parking lot was filled with 2 feet of water and sludge. We some how got our car parked and started towards the temple .

Please note that the temple closes by 1PM and we need to really hurry to make sure we enter the temple before the main gates of the temple get closed .

As we entered the temple , say after 20 mts the main gates were closed . We then proceeded towards the main deity and then went out by the side gate .

Something about the temple Architecture : Built by the Raja Raja Chola , the temple is beyond expression . The Architecture is amazing . The other amazing thing about the temple gopuram is that it doesn't cast a shadow in any direction .

This is by far the largest Shiva lingam in India . One can see the lord from at least 200 feet and u can feel divinity in here . The Lingam is app 20 Feet in height ( thats my guess ) . This is a must visit for all shivagama ( Followers of Lord Shiva )

Once we finished darshan , we thought of having lunch in tanjavur . But parking a Scorpio in the narrow roads without parking was a major challenge . As the Pongal we had in Srirangam was still sitting pretty tight in our stomach, we decided to go to our next destination Kumbakonam for our lunch .....
Attached Images

Last edited by Ranga : 17th May 2010 at 23:48.
Old 17th May 2010, 23:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

The Tanjore temple is a technical marvel to visit. An amazing structure and beauty to watch; something which you can keep adoring at!
Old 17th May 2010, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

How bad was the Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy road? Heard it is far better than the NH67 from Karur to Trichy.
Old 18th May 2010, 00:01   #8
BHPian

Day 2 Kumbakonnam Temple : Kanishka Hotel for lunch

We entered Kumbakonnam which is called the city of temples . We have so many temples in Kumbakonnam that every street will lead to a temple .

We parked our car opp Kanishka hotel and then had our lunch . While asking for a good hotel for lunch , many suggested for Meenakshi bhavan . But as we could not find this hotel , we had our lunch in Kanishka hotel . Food was not bad . Typical South Indian meals 40Rs / meal . I ate light as I had to still drive to Thirunallar temple .

Please note Kumakonnam temple forms the centre of the Navagraha temples . Many people stay in Kumbakonnam and visit all Navaragraha temples around .

Map of the Navagraha temple - Courtesy Karthik sankaran
This has been used from the website Marskarthik

The same map is found in most parts of the Navagraha temples .
Attached Thumbnails
Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-navagraha-temple-road-map.jpg  

Last edited by Ranga : 18th May 2010 at 00:09.
Old 18th May 2010, 00:13   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The photo of the Brihaddeeshwara temple taken by your friend is fantastic. You've made my day!

Another great thing about this temple is the monolithic 4 tonne stone (which was later found out to be two stones) that makes the kalasa of the gopura (tower). It's a marvel. That stone is not found in 5 km radius from the temple site. Many researchers have spent time on where they could have shipped the 4 tonne stone from and how they could have hauled that weight to the top!

Last edited by MX6 : 18th May 2010 at 00:23.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 05:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We entered Kumbakonnam which is called the city of temples . We have so many temples in Kumbakonnam that every street will lead to a temple
Very very true & everyone is more than helpful; when you get struck up some where on the road, pull over & look confused, people come running & ask where we intend to go & what help we need.

I'm waiting to reserve my comments to hear completely from you on the road trip towards Navagraha temples since I did this during 2008 Dec.

We'd our lunch on the first day from Maami's pure vegetarian mess & we got blown away with the excellent food. Looks like its the second or third generation running the outlet now; the lunch costed around 35 (unlimited food including appalam). So we were able to make the dinner on second day & breakfast on third day during our 2 night 1 day stay.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 06:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

I remember some one telling me that the temple was so designed such that one will never see the shadow on gopuram on the ground. Though I visited the temple, I did not get a chance to check this out.
Old 18th May 2010, 07:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I remember some one telling me that the temple was so designed such that one will never see the shadow on gopuram on the ground. Though I visited the temple, I did not get a chance to check this out.
Yes, that is the main temple in Tanjavur; hard to believe unless I see it personally. Here's a long discussion discussed on this regard
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:12   #13
BHPian

@ Ampere
The Brihadeshwara temple Gopuram was lifted using a slope which can be found app 3Kms away from the temple . Using the power of Elephants the structure which weighs more then 4-5 tonnes . If some one want to visualise it the best way one can is to watch a movie released last year called 10,000BC . Here the same procedure is being used to build monolithic structures of this height and weight.

@ HV kumar

Roads are ok . But due to rains it made our journey more difficult . It was poring cats and dogs . As we were in a Scorpio we could not feel much of the road
Old 18th May 2010, 08:25   #14
BHPian

Ranga - Is it possible to cover the Navagrahas in one single day ? Are there good places to stay at Kumbakonam, assuming that one cant complete the navagrahas in one day ? This is one trip my wife is wanting to do for a long time and your inputs will certainly help us plan one this winter.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 08:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We'd our lunch on the first day from Maami's pure vegetarian mess & we got blown away with the excellent food. Looks like its the second or third generation running the outlet now; the lunch costed around 35 (unlimited food including appalam). So we were able to make the dinner on second day & breakfast on third day during our 2 night 1 day stay.
How does one locate the Maami's mess?