Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd July 2010, 17:11   #166
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i don't think talking on the phone is a gender specific dis-order.
Don't want to start a gender war. But my wife's mobile bill is atleast a clear 500 rupees more than mine every month!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 19:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Don't want to start a gender war.

I always thought "gender" was only used to classify living creatures like humans, animals etc. I never knew thing's also have gender,

I learnt in this fourm that "Car" could be a "female" in most of the cases. I have often seen petrol heads (or diesel ones as well) saying or writing "i ripped her while travelling from here to here"

Did you know "beaches" also have gender ?...I learnt it today, will write about it shortly, may be in a different thread.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 20:41   #168
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Whether things have gender or not depends on what language one speaks!
That's why I could pick up bits of espanol and not francais.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 23:26   #169
BHPian

A few weeks back, I was able to reach till post 80 or something. Finally got to complete this log. It has been awesome read. Thanks for taking time to pen down.

Quote:
4 main stories: Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavtgeeta, Upanishads
I would change that to...
4 main stories: Ramayana, Mahabharata, Puranas, Upanishads

P.S.: Your thread had 9 ratings, and I have now added mine.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 08:14   #170
BHPian

StarVegabond,

Great thread, still not even halfway through it!

Till now, my comments:

Very nice of your wife to give you the birthday surprise, very touching.

Your details of the marriage ceremony with each ritual explained was an eye opener. It was a good idea of the parents to print the explanations and distribute them. We were married 32 years ago and didn't know the meaning of the rituals. If we had known then, we would have valued the whole process.

I attended an Arya Samaj marriage ceremony; they too explain these rituals, and that too, in English. This really helps us. Otherwise we'd soon forget our heritage.

Regards
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 08:51   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always thought "gender" was only used to classify living creatures like humans, animals etc. I never knew thing's also have gender,

I learnt in this fourm that "Car" could be a "female" in most of the cases. I have often seen petrol heads (or diesel ones as well) saying or writing "i ripped her while travelling from here to here"

Did you know "beaches" also have gender ?...I learnt it today, will write about it shortly, may be in a different thread.
Quote:
That's why I could pick up bits of espanol and not francais.
you are forgetting hindi. car aati hai, truck aata hai.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 14:03   #172
Senior - BHPian

5*. Great narration and lovely pics. Enjoyed the toons and jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
+1 to that.

About the gender in language. Its language specific rules. I know three of them. In English there is a neutral gender but in Arabic and Hindi there is no neutral gender.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 14:22   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Great thread, still not even halfway through it!
I attended an Arya Samaj marriage ceremony; they too explain these rituals, and that too, in English. This really helps us. Otherwise we'd soon forget our heritage.
Thanks very much Sir, you are a veteran of the married world having spent probably >3x times compared to me. Wish you and your wife a life time ahead fill with togetherness, affection and time for each other.

Thanks for letting us know that Arya Samaj wedding ceremony. I agree with you over a period of time if we do not pass-on the details to the younger generation, they tend to get lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
A few weeks back, I was able to reach till post 80 or something. Finally got to complete this log. It has been awesome read. Thanks for taking time to pen down.

I would change that to...
4 main stories: Ramayana, Mahabharata, Puranas, Upanishads

P.S.: Your thread had 9 ratings, and I have now added mine.
Thanks very much akbaree (or Anant) for the correction as well as rating.
Yes, i am aware of Purana stories.but i think many of them have been forgotten, but Bhagavat geetha is still well known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
5*. Great narration and lovely pics. Enjoyed the toons and jokes.
Thanks TaureanBull for your appreciation.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Yes, here i am not refering to the languistic gender. I am refering to "THE GENDER"

Beach can be of two different GENDER. Male and Female.. Here thery are.

Male Beach = ROCKY Beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-rocky-beach.jpg

Female Beach = SANDY Beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-sandy.jpg

BTW, this week i was in Taiwan, i had an opportunity to be at these beaches amid all hectic business activities

Old 8th July 2010, 22:28   #174
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

@star.

Read through the entire travelogue today. Your style of writing is simple and touching. As some of the others have mentioned, many things are things that we could easily relate to and many of those things have happened in our own lives.

@arindamray.
Nice story that you shared.

I had both my parents come and stay with me for the first this summer. They have visited us earlier on some occasions. But it was always either my mother or my father, never together. They had cows and other work at home that they could not leave behind. Last year finally they sold off the cows after my mother broke her arm. I was planning to drive down to Kerala and then bring them with me. Then I changed the plans and booked flight tickets for them.

I never told them about the flight tickets until we had to start the journey from Kerala. They were extremely happy and intrigued like small kids. I know my father told all his friends with a lot of pride that he is going to fly. I know they would have never got into a plane if I had not done what I had done. I had ensured that they got window seats. It is something that they would never forget. We cannot put a price to all that they have done for us. So we need to pay back in whatever small measures that we can.

I still remember the day when my father had taken me to the old Cochin airport to show me the airport and airplanes. I was thrilled then. Never imagined I myself would fly someday. In fact I even remember when he had taken me and my brothers to show us the train for the first time.

I also taught him how to ride a scooty while he was in Pune. It might sound so silly. But he was thrilled that he was able to learn it at the age of 64. And somehow he felt that my brothers at home may not teach him to ride a 2-wheeler. And it was he who had encouraged me to learn riding the bicycle on his own bicycle that he had bought after saving up for so long.

Our own kids learns from us - they see how we treat our parents. So we better set good examples.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 8th July 2010 at 22:31.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 22:49   #175
BHPian

thanks pjbiju, yes the story is really good.

I am yet to fullfill two dreams of my parents (especially mom) to see a foreign country (passport processing in progress now) and to see Kashmir. Hope I can make it soon.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 22:56   #176
Senior - BHPian

@pjbiju : I am touched by your story. We can never pay back our parents for whatever they gave/not gave. But such small gestures means a lot to them. I could understand such things better only after I became a father.

Everybody has a child in him/her whatever is his/her age.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 12:20   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Read through the entire travelogue today.
Our own kids learns from us - they see how we treat our parents. So we better set good examples.
Thanks biju for reading the log and your appreciation.
Your last sentence is the Gospel Truth. Our children observe and learn from us how we behave and try to follow it. We need set the right example for our kids for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I am yet to fullfill two dreams of my parents (especially mom) to see a foreign country (passport processing in progress now) and to see Kashmir. Hope I can make it soon.
May your dream come true asap.

Quote:
Very true. Child is a representation of Passion, Energy, Indulgence, Creativity. Keeping the child within us alive is very important.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:10   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Our own kids learns from us... So we better set good examples.
Quote:
I wanted to share about one more meetha incident, a proud moment for me (and my wife)

I am sure many of us remember our childhood when we used to simply love our toys, cars ( or dolls). As we grew up, we wanted that bicycle very badly, often politely requesting the father/mother to buy us one, later on getting it upgraded to a larger one etc etc.

We had similarly bought a bicycle for my daughter some 3 years ago for her 5th birthday. When we moved our home from Vashi to Bangalore, my daughter ensured that it got properly packed, loaded on to the car. When we receive the consignment here in bangalore, she wanted the bicycle to be taken out first so that she can check whether it is okay.

Since last year, she wanted a bigger cycle. As usual, we have been postponing the decision. Eventually, we agreed that she would buy the cycle from her pocket money, so since last about 18 months everything went into the piggybank making it fatter so that eventually a new bicycle could be bought. Every month, after receiving the pocket money, the piggy bank would be opened, money counted, calculation done regarding how many more rupees needed so that the cycle could be bought. At the begining of last month, it was eventully decided that with 3 more months, the money would be enough to buy a new ladybird bicycle.

At the begining of this money, while i was at Taipei, our company launched a social responsibility program under which the employee and the company would sponsor the education of the poor and under previlidged students. A e-mail circular along with the details of the kids were sent, which i promptly foorwarded to the e-mail address of my daughter and wife, asking their opinion.

Next day, i received the reply from my daughter that she would like to sponsor education of one girl child.

I asked her over Yahoo chat "do you know how much money would be needed".
"Don't worry, i have the money in my piggy bank", pat came the reply.
But you wanted to buy the new cycle ?, i asked.
She replied "I will buy the cycle later, any way i have a cycle now"

Itwas indeed a very proud and meetha moment.

On my return, she handed over the money to me along with the name and the details of the child as well as asking me to come with her to the cycle repair shop to repair several things that needed fixing.

So yesterday, we eventually got the old bicycle fixed with new seat, new tubes, new breaks, increased hight of the seat and the handlebar and a thorough check up of the same.

here are some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-250720103008.jpg  

Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-250720103009.jpg  

Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-250720103013.jpg  

Old 26th July 2010, 18:25   #179
BHPian

A touching moment Star and it is things like this that make you real proud to be a parent. You know you've brought your kid up well.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 18:47   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to share about one more meetha incident, a proud moment for me (and my wife)
Star, what a touching story, truly it made my eyes wet.

Wonderful that in this day and age to come across such concern for others from one so young.
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote