Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th June 2010, 17:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
But the vintage car is indeed a Beetle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I stand corrected. After Khoj's comment I did little more google search and found - VW 1963 beetle - vintage camera, vintage lens, classic car on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks Khoj and Arindam for confirmation, that makes Beetle Uncle 47 years old, for his age he looks very fit and fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narry View Post
hi
all your travelogues are simply superb
if u ever visit hongkong and shenzen which is next to hongkong inform i would love to show u around
regards
narry
Thanks narry, i have been to Shenzen some dozen plus times in last 8 years. i surely contact you next time when i plan the visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Star, a very good one. Taiwan food to Village food Probably, we should move this PPTs to the Directory section in here. Under Hotels. What say?
Thanks and Sure Mahesh, if it helps others i suggest copying the slides rather than moving them, if they are moved then there would be a discontinuity in this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Slide show was theory in corporate style.
Waiting for practicals in home style.

Btw, i also prepared some dishes at home this summer.
Once, the menu chosen was from travel and living show.
It was disaster and i am still not able to figure out what food i prepared at that time.
Here I go Ashish with my "Experiments with Food"...

My Experiements with Food are not that noteworthy or readworthy like the Experiments with Truth by the father of the nation. Still i will try to typeout some details for the sake of records.

I was under the impression that
---------------------------------
I am a reasonable cook as i used to cook when i was younger. My cooking lessons started when i started helping out my mother with some chores in the kitchen when we moved to pune way back in 1987. It started with me acting as a taster to sorting vegitables to grating coconut and went on to kneading the dough to cutting vegitables, to preparing the table, dishes etc.

Then when my father moved to Aurangabad, my mother used to spend half the time there, me being big brother use to experiment with the food and feed myself and brother. Couple of times me and my brother hosted several of our relatives at home while my mother was away.

So i had thought i was a natural talent like Nala Maharaj (legendary king who used to cook the mouthwatering, finger licking food dishes)

But last about 9+ years being happily married had changed things.

I learnt the heard truths that
----------------------------------
1. many of my skills in kitchen have just simply vanished
2. observing some one cooking and actually cooking are two entierly different things
3. preparing something and making some thing worthy of eating are again entirely different
4. it is not necessary that what i prepare is liked by me, I can be ruthless in disposing it in the dust bin
5. Forget Nala maharaj, i am no where even near to the chotu in his kitchen.

Some successes achieved during experiments
-------------------------------------------
1. i could heat up some ready to serve packaged food
2. I could cook some maggi, soups etc
3. I successfully prepared penne pasta with tomato sauce and white sauce and i really liked it.
4. I could prepare some pav bhaji, but the portions i prepared was good enough to last for a week, eventually i got tired of eating pav bhaji
5. I successfully prepared Jeera rice and Dal Fry, but Dal fry was no where near what gets served in a dhaba.

Some failures which i am proud of
-------------------------------------
1. i wanted to prepare Sambhar, but failed misrably with un-cooked potatos, too much sambhar powder and chilly poured into the so called sambhar which eventully got poured into the camode in the toilet.

2. i wanted to prepare the chapati, but failed misarably when the chapatis were no where even near the shape like India or china or world map, my two attempts resulted in creating a map of andaman and nicobar islands and/or like lakshdeep islands.

Eventually i successfully manage to outsource the kitchen to "Little Chef" a small resturant in our buildings premises being run by a north indian lady with the help of two young cooks from UP. This Little Chef remains open from 5:30 PM to 10:00 PM and basically serves some snacks (5:30 to 7:30 PM) including Samosa and chats and some limited food dishes including Roti, Sabzi, Dal. One has to go there, place the order, pay them money and the freshly cooked food gets delivered home in 20 minutes. The order can be placed on the phone as well, money can be paid on delivery. They only deliver within our building premises which includes some 8-9 buildings with some 650 appartments.

at the end of these experiments i decided to stick to my core competency i.e appreciate and eat what is served at home and just focus on dishing out what i am good at.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 12th June 2010 at 17:22.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 21:55   #107
Senior - BHPian

Seems, slowly this thread his turning into your Auto-bio.

So, when are we seeing the official photo of our "Chef". lol...
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 22:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Seems, slowly this thread his turning into your Auto-bio.

So, when are we seeing the official photo of our "Chef". lol...
No way Mahesh, Auto-bio is a gigantic effort, more over it is not possible for me, i have difficulty in remembering the exact details (in toto) of what happened in last 2 months. More over i think my auto bio would be boring.

i anyway need to share some fictional and some factual details to make the story interesting for not only to read, but also to describe.

What is coming up is last 10 days happenings during this year's summer

* travel from cool Bangalore to hot and humid Mumbai
* wedding of Mrs and Mr Iyer
* getting baked in coastal karnataka
* family getting back to their occupations

i intend to complete this by tomorrow as i will be more busy from monday for few weeks as quarter end is nearing.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 12th June 2010 at 22:26.
Old 13th June 2010, 02:50   #109
BHPian

Hey Star,
Though I thought team-bhp is all about everything that is moving, your mesmerizing description of droplets of life brings our journey of 8 hrs to sudden halt and forces us to look back that in this rush what all irreversible things (and family members) we have missed whose company we always enjoyed when we were kids. I really feel sad about kids of this generations as their life is spent more in front of TV and Malls.
I feel "Its not the destination in life that matters, its the journey towards destination one enjoys in life, is important".
Its only in the absence of our loved ones we understand their importance in our life.
I hope your travelogue would be as engrossing as the previous posts.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 10:24   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anand for sharing your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hey Star,
Though I thought team-bhp is all about everything that is moving, your mesmerizing description of droplets of life brings our journey of 8 hrs to sudden halt and forces us to look back that in this rush what all irreversible things (and family members) we have missed whose company we always enjoyed when we were kids.
Most of the time we are either rushing through the events or going through the motions without actually pondering about Ws & Hs. At the end of all, what matters is how we have lived life with our dear ones

Quote:
I really feel sad about kids of this generations as their life is spent more in front of TV and Malls.
I have a slightly different view on this. Like Father, Alike SON is a famous proverb. Children at least <12 years of age can not make serious choices on their own. It is the parents who shape their thoughts and actions.

If Parents spend their time in front of TV and in the malls, then children would believe that that is the right thing to do.

What drives parents to be like that ?

most of us are the first generation consumers. We are experiencing the malls, digital TVs etc for the first time in many generations. We are still over whelmed by the experience and want to remain there. It is like a kid getting a new toy or new dress, he/she does not want to let go.

Quote:
I feel "Its not the destination in life that matters, its the journey towards destination one enjoys in life, is important".
Its only in the absence of our loved ones we understand their importance in our life.
Well said, I learnt that destinations what we believe as destinations often are the milestones, they tell us how far still we have to travel, they define the next so called destination.

hence it is important to enjoy the journey, if we are not enjoying the journey and be grumpy, fighting with co-passengers, not having our dear ones on board then at some mile stone we would be alone without any resources, support from friends and family.

Quote:
I hope your travelogue would be as engrossing as the previous posts.
I also hope so, I can certainly try, but no promises.

Moving ahead with the story..

having completed the summer project as well as sharing the outcomes of home lab projects, it was time for me to take a vacation and join my family back. There was a wedding in the family on 23rd at Mumbai

So i traveled to Mumbai by KSRTC Airawat on 21st afternoon.

#238/239 .. Kempe gowda bus station
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-238-majestic-bus-stand.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-239-kempegowda-bus-stand.jpg.jpg

#240 like any other IT company in Bangalore, This bus station is also certified in letter, may not be in spirits.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-240-iso14001-certified.jpg.jpg

#241 The bus left on time, stopped at Kamat Upachar near SIRA
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-241-stop-kamat-upachar.jpg.jpg

#242 Airawat is indeed a good service at reasonable price
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-242-airawat-indeed-good-service.jpg.jpg

#243 SUN want to set here so that he can rise elsewhere
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-243-sun-want-rise-another-part-world.jpg.jpg

Soon the bus journey re-started, took a break for dinner after Ranebennur
I managed to sleep well when i woke up the bus was in Pune at 6 AM.

After a breakfast stop at expressway mall, the bus landed me at NaviMumbai at 8:30 AM.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th June 2010 at 10:43.
Old 13th June 2010, 17:25   #111
Senior - BHPian

As most of us BHPians know that if Automobile is a faith, then there are four sub faiths American, European, Japanese(+Korean), Emerging (Chinese + Indian).

For a good stability, any object must have 4 legs (= supports). That is the reason probably Hindu faith has some key things in fours.

4 Yugas : Krita, Treta, Dwapara, Kali
4 Vedas : Rgveda, Yayurveda, Samaveda, Atharvaveda
4 varnas : Bhramin, Kshyatriya, Vaisya, Shudra
4 main stories: Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavtgeeta, Upanishads
4 objectives : Dharma, Artha, Kama, Moksha
4 seasons : Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

Human life also has four stages viz.

4 life stages : Bharmhacharya, Grihasta, Vaanaprasta, Sanyas

The week from 23rd till 30th May, two of our dear relatives were moving into Grihasta (= being Married and having a home).

My wife's niece (first cousin's daughter) was tying the knot with her good friend and co-student at IIM-A at Chembur to become Mrs and Mr Iyer on 23rd May.

My nephew (cousin sister's son) was tying knot with his newly arranged heart throb at Kundapur (Coastal Karnataka) on 28th May

We had long back planned to attend both the weddings. Hence we were in Mumbai for the first event

The week was going to be hectic for sure..

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th June 2010 at 17:32.
Old 13th June 2010, 18:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

The marriage was to be held as per the tamilian tradition. Most of the rituals were a varient of a typical south Indian Marriage.

Typically a South Indian Marriage starts 10 days before the actual marriage day with a ritual called Naandi (=the begining).

This ritual is conducted seperately at both bride's and bride grooms family. During the ritual dear God Ganapati is invoked along with other family dieties and a request is made that the marriage event should get completed without any un-toward incidence like death, accidents etc. A lamp is lit and it is kept continuously lit till the marriage is over and bride and the groom come back home together.

The next event happens 3-4 days prior to the actual wedding day. It is called Deva Kaarya (=God's work). This is also done at both the bride and grooms places seperately, where the respecive families along with all the relatives and dear ones assemble and offer prayer and offerings to several GODs viz. Ganesha, Family Diety (=Kula Deva), God of our liking (=Ista Deva), Presiding diety of the village/town we reside in (=Grama Deva) as well as our ancestors that the the event should get over successfully, and everyone enjoy a good meal together.

Generally in earlier times when going from groom's village to the bride's village used to days by bullock carts, the baraat (= the grooms family and friends) used to travel and reach the bride's village atleast one day before the marriage day. Now-a-days the baraat travels by Cars, Train or even flight to redcue the journey time.

The previous day of the wedding, the bride goom is brought in a procession from a temple in a flower decorated vehicle. Vehicle used to be bulloc carts earlier now automobiles (even mercs) are used. Groom is escored by the bride's parents and welcomed formally into the marriage mandap, which earlier used to be at bride's home, now a marriage hall or five star hotel or even something like palace ground or wankhede stadium.

Why procession is important, few may ask ?, Through such a parade, public approval is sought of the groom chosen by the bride's family, If anyone wants to state their objections they can still do so.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th June 2010 at 18:31.
Old 14th June 2010, 00:12   #113
BHPian

used to visit swathi, while working in Kirloskar Business Park, usual place for Friday lunch out. good to see that there improvements and increase in business.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 11:17   #114
Senior - BHPian

Now the distances have shrunk, both bride's and groom's family were in Mumbai, still few tens of KMs apart.

All of us relatives began to assemble the previous day at bride's home. It was a a great indian family consisting of paternal/maternal grand fathers/mothers, paternal and maternal uncles/aunts, cousins, nephews, nieces, better halfs, their superior spouses and their smart kids etc etc.

In earlier days, there used to be few cooks hired to feed so many guests, now a days things have been simplified by catering. The parents of the groom/bride can have a sigh of relief because of this "outsourced food service". If one can afford then there are wedding event managers and
dream venues (domestic and abroad) where both families can travel and get their wedding done in whichever ritual, theme or tradition as desired.

We were put up in BPCL colony in Chembur as the bride's parents are staying there. BPCL colony is nothing short of a resort. In the heart land of Chembur, amid the lots of chois, traffic, pollution, heat and humidity there exists a green, clean, quiet place called BPCL colony, Even though i have visited there before, i had not seen it much. I will let the pictures
speak for it below

#244 well isolated form the main road
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-01-main-approach-road-gate.jpg.jpg

#245/246/247 Clean and green interior roads
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-02-internal-roads-i.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-03-internal-roads-ii.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-04-internal-roads-iii.jpg.jpg

#248 Mano trees yielding mangos
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-05-mango-trees.jpg.jpg

#249 Artificial landscapes
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-06-artificial-landscape.jpg.jpg

#250-252 Greenery every where
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-07-greenery-everywhere-i.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-08-greenary-everywhere-ii.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-09-greenery-everywhere-iii.jpg.jpg

#253 Garden chairs along the lawns and the roads
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-10-garden-chairs-along-road-lawns.jpg.jpg

#254-256 Children park, in fact there are two
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-11-childrens-park-entry.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-12-childrens-park-i.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-13-children-park-ii.jpg.jpg

#257 Chunnu and Munnu : Mast Majaa Madi
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-14-munnu-chunnu-mast-majaa-madi.jpg.jpg

#258 Jogger's park
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-15-joggers-park-entry.jpg.jpg

#259-262 Trobay Club, Swimming pool and mini kabootar khana
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-16-trombay-club.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-17-trombay-club-swimming-pool.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-18-swimming-pool-diving-platform.jpg.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-19-mini-kabootar-khana.jpg.jpg

#263 Rooms at the guest house
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-20-room-guest-house.jpg.jpg

#264 Shadi ka Ghar - lighting ke sath
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-21-shadi-ka-ghar.jpg.jpg

#265 three yellow fellows in lime light
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-22-three-yellow-fellows-lime-light.jpg.jpg
Old 14th June 2010, 13:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

When someone returns from a wedding and meets a mutual relative or friend, generally three questions are asked.

Quest No 1: Khana kaisa tha ? (= How was the food ?)

Answer is self explanatory below

#266 Wedding day Breakfast
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-breakfast.jpg.jpg

#267 Post wedding lunch..one does not need a second helping
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-lunch.jpg.jpg

There was a old Kannada movie where in Ghatotkach (son of Bheem) sings a song explaining the wedding lunch. it used to be one of my favorite songs when i was a kid.

#268 Wedding day dinner..i could not wait to take snap till all items were served as all others had already on way to finish their dinner
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-dinner.jpg.jpg

Last edited by StarVegabond : 14th June 2010 at 13:42.
Old 14th June 2010, 14:13   #116
Senior - BHPian

Question No 2: Jodi kaise thi ? (= how were the couple ?)

Answer:

#269 Dulha (Bridegroom) and Dulhan (bride) were...
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-dulha-aur-dulhan.jpg.jpg

#270 like Phattar (stone) and Phool (flower)
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-phool-aur-phattar.jpg.jpg

No..No.. I am just kidding..

#271, they were like Raja (king) aur Rani (queen)
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-raaja-aur-raani.jpg.jpg

or

#271 Shakkar (sugar) aur Doodh (milk) making a kheer
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-shakkar-anur-dood-kheer.jpg.jpg

or

#272 Venkateshwara aur Padmavati
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-venkateshwara-aur-padmavati.jpg.jpg
Old 14th June 2010, 15:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Question number 3 : In fact question is generally asked by the ladies, one can easily imagine this question... What did the bride wear for the wedding ?

Answer :

#273 : Bridal wear , these are just two during the wedding ceremony. In fact brides are presented with minimum 5 saris which would be worn during the day one by one.

Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-bridal-wear.jpg

Now having seen all three questions, a new set of questions emerges in my mind ?

What about the bridegroom ?,
Is no one interested about him ?
What did he wear for the day ?,
How was the actual wedding happened ? etc

but generally there is only one answer.. Yah..he was good. i am told he is very intelligent, studied in IIM-A, one of the toppers, going work for a top company etc etc.

see the answer is entirely different than what the questions were.

So i thought of writing about what exactly happens (for the records sake) during the wedding day and what all the bride, groom and their immediate family has to go through.

Part of it i have covered already. Remaining part will be covered in the next post.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:26   #118
BHPian

yeh Arvind,

took a while to complete the entire post.

I admire the depth of information you tend to include in every post you start.

Those delicacies on leaves were really mouth watering

Keep rolling.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 17:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Wedding Day is a day of rituals, most of the time one simply rushes through the rituals without understanding the deeper meaning and implications

Prayers:
----------------
Ganapati Puja : Worshiping god of initiation
Naandi Devata Puja : Once again repeating the ritual performed 10 days ago
Nava Graha Puja : Worshiping 9 astral planets that are said to be ruling our destinies

#274 : Bride's family performing the Puja
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-brides-family-performaing-puja.jpg

Vratham :
----------------
Tying Holy Thread on the bride's wrists to ward of evil spirits. Groom preparing himself for a new chapter in his life as husband by performing several prayers towards CEO of gods Indra, lord of destruction, Shankara (soma), god of fire (Agni) and god of peace (moon) as well as re-iterating that he has followed the true values of Bramhacharya (or bachelorhood) till now.

#275 Groom's family performing puja and other rituals
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-grooms-family-performing-vratham.jpg

Teaching how to use the grindstone (teaching meaning of life)
--------------------------------------------------------------
This is generally done separately with the groom and the bride. The parents (mainly mother) and relatives teach the person how to use a grind stone, how to make a flour from the Udad daal. Udad daal is considered as most difficult to grind, similarly life is like a grind stone, the person might face difficult problems, but if he/she is persistent in running the grind stone (=life), then most difficult problems get solved is the lesson taught. To make the lesson easy, the elders sing several songs which depicts how the boy/girl have been brought up till now or their achievements, which provides strength or motivation for the person to remain persistent in difficult times.

#276 Teaching the deeper meaning of life
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-teaching-meaning-life.jpg

Kaashi Yatra:
----------------
Most often the Groom begins to worry that getting married itself is such a stressful excercise and being a natural escapisthe decides that it is better to adapt the fourth stage of life i.e. Sanyas (or asceticism). So he prefers to go to Kashi (Varanasi or Banaras), wears his slippers, takes his umbralla, bamboo stick, handfan etc and starts to walk towards Kashi.

#277 : Groom starts his journey towards Kashi, but grooms father meets him in between.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-kashiyatra.jpg

On his way the Bride's father (or her maternal Uncle) intervenes and advises him of the superiority of married life to ascetic life. He also promises to give him his daughter as companion to face the challenges of life. It is advised that if he still want to go to Kaashi, he may live the married life fully, with his wife, can give birth to next generation, handover the responsibilities and then he can go.

Eventually the Groom agrees and return to the marriage hall where the bride's father and grooms father facing each other solemnize
the final bethrohal ceremony.

The priests warn the bride, groom and and their families that the right time is approaching and asks them to be cautiously ready (=Savadhaan) for the auspicious moment to enter the next phase of life.

The mantra's include the names of the bride, groom as well as thier three generations of ancestors so as to ensure that the bride and the groom are not blood relatives and they are indeed the right candidates for marrying each other.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 14th June 2010 at 17:36.
Old 14th June 2010, 20:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

Exchange of Garlands
------------------------------------
Bride and the groom are lifted on to the shoulders by their respective maternal uncles and in that position they exchange garlands.
First the bride garlands the groom (=first right of "say") and then the groom garlands the bride to communicate that she is equal to him in all respects.

#278 the bride and the groom are lifted on to the shoulders by their repective maternal uncles
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-bride-groom-lifted-shoulders.jpg.jpg

In some variants, the exchange of garlands is done thrice. generally the garland worn by a person is not offered to others. when bride and groom exchange their garlands thrice, it symbolizes their unification as one soul and two bodies

#279 exchanging the garlands
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-echange-garlands.jpg

Swing ride, singing of Laali,
---------------------------
Couple are then made to sit on a swing and they rock forth and back as the elderly ladies sing Laali, songs to praise the couple.

#280 Bride and the groom are seat on the swing
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-swing-ride-singing-laali.jpg

The chains of the swing signify the ethernal link with Almighty above and the motion depicts waves of life. Despite all the ups/downs the couple need to keep faith on the god and be together and enjoy the life.

Paalikai seeds sowing
------------------------
Pallikais are the earthen pots spread at the base with hoarily grass and bael leaves. 9 kinks of presoaked cereals are ceremonially sown in these pots. once sprouted, these seedings are then released in a river or pool. his basically denotes a fertility rite seeking blessings of guardian angles for a healthy life and progency

Varapuja
------------------------
Then the feet of the bridegroom is washed with milk and wipes off with silk
Water and lighted lamsps are circulated around the swing in order to gaurd the couple against evil forces. Coloured globules of cooked rice are thrown over to propitiate compassionate souls.

Kanyadaanam
-------------------------
The bride is made to sit on her father's lap and is given away as gift by him to the bridegroom.

#281 Kanyadaanam, offering the daughter as gift.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-kanyadaanam.jpg

While doing so he chants "I offer you my daughter, a maiden virtuous, good natured, very wise, decked with ornaments to the best of my ability.
May she help you to achieve the four objectives of life viz. Dharma (what is rightfully to be done), Artha (Wealth), Kama (love) and Moksha (being one
with the god). While doing so the father gets a word of assurance thrice from the groom that he shall remain for ever her companion in joy or sorrow in this life and beyond.

Paani Grahanam
------------------
Paani (=hands) Grahanam (accepting), means the groom holding the hands of the bride making a promise that both of them will not part from each other ever.

#282 offering the Bride's hand into the Groom's hand
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-paani-grahanam.jpg

Kankana Dharanam
----------------------
The bride ties a string fastened to a piece of turmeric around the wrist of the goom to bind themselves by a religious vov. It is only after tying the Kankanam that the groom (supposed to be) gets the right to touch the bride. A little later the groom also ties a kankanam on the bride's wrist

Mangalya Dharanam
---------------------
Timed to exact auspicious hour, the bridegroom ties the golden mangala suthra (holy thread) around the neck of the bride. Three knots are tied, the first one by the groom, the other two knots by his sister to make the bride part of the family.

#283 The Bride is holding the Mangala sutra and waiting for the auspicious hour (i could not capture the right moment when he ties the same around bride's neck)
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-mangalya-dharanam.jpg