Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th June 2010, 21:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Saptha Padhi. (7 steps together)
--------------------------------
Holding the brides hand, the bridegroom walks 7 steps with her.
It is said that only when one walks 7 steps together, one becomes a true friend.This is the most important ritual of the marriage.

First Step is for gaining livelihood and sharing the responsibilities
Second step is a promise to be the one and only love to each other
Third step is to achieve prosperity and wealth together
Fourth step is for lifelong happiness and harmony
Fifth step is for the healthy long lived children
Sixth step is promise to fill the heart of one another with utmost joy always
Seventh step is for endless love, inseparable companionship and loyalty forever.

Pradhana Homam, Lajja Homam
-------------------------------
Homage is paid by the couple to Agni, the fire god, they circle around the fire and feed it with ghee, and twigs of nine types of tree branches as sacrificial fuel.

Agni the mightiest power in the cosmos, the sacred purifier, the all round benefactor is deemed as a witness to the marriage.

As bride is forbidden to make offering to the Agni, the bride's brother gives her handful of parched rice grains which she hand's over to her husband who makes the offering to the Agni. Through this offering the bride seeks long life for her husband and propagation of the family. Participation by the bride's brother indicates continuance of the links between the families after the marriage.

Showing the Dhruva and Arundhati stars to the couple.
------------------------------------------------------------
Dhruva is one who attained immortality through single minded devotion and perseverance, Arundhati is the wife of Vashista maharishi is exemplified as an ideal wife the embodiment of chastity.

These are the values the couple need to emulate throughout their life.

Showering of Akshata
--------------------------
Akshata i.e. the rice grains coated with turmeric and saffron are showered on the couple by elders and invites as benediction.

Grihapravesham
-------------------
Talking the fire from the Lajja Homam, the bride enters the new home of her in-laws. The vedic hymns now sound like

"Be the queen of your husband's home, May your husband glorify your virtues, conduct yourself in such a way that you win your mother-in-law's love and be in good books of your sister-in-law"

Evening of the marriage day
-----------------------------
newly wed wife and husband play several games, singing songs etc these events bring out many qualities of the bride and the groom bringing them closer to each other.

The Jayati Homam, Pravesha Homam, Shesha Homam
------------------------------------------------------
these are performed after 6:30 PM from the fire brought by the bride at the groom's house.

Taamboolam and Bala Dhanam
-------------------------------
The Bride's brother gives the ceremonial first beetle to the couple to chew, certain other gifts are made to bless the couple with children and long life.

Mangala Arathi
--------------------
Aarathi means "to close" in Sanskrit. Holy closure to a wedding is just what is needed at the end of a long day filled with rituals.

One may think from where i got all these descriptions of the rituals.
Actually every invitee was given a 20 page handbook explaining every ritual. I just thought of using it with some real life photographs.

I have also made small changes to include certain variants practiced among the rituals. My apologies if there are any mistakes, they are not intentions.
The purpose of of keying in these details here is for the future reference when needed (by the author) as well as to create some awareness among the readers.

I sincerely wish that all marriages really practice what these rituals teach us or ask us to follow.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 02:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

One may think from where i got all these descriptions of the rituals.
Actually every invitee was given a 20 page handbook explaining every ritual. I just thought of using it with some real life photographs.

excellent!

I am not religious but If I do something (or forced to do), I make sure it's done and understood properly. This is exactly how I would have done it if I had this idea.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 15:15   #123
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Showing the Dhruva and Arundhati stars to the couple.
------------------------------------------------------------
Dhruva is one who attained immortality through single minded devotion and perseverance, Arundhati is the wife of Vashista maharishi is exemplified as an ideal wife the embodiment of chastity.
There's science involved in all of the rituals. And that was lost in time.
Here's why we look at Arundhati.
Arundhati is a small star near the Saptarishi (the great bear), the 7 stars.
So people with only perfect vision (6/6) can see Arundhati near the 7th star of the constellation. People with defective eyesight can't spot it. This was a method used earlier for checking whether the groom and bride had 6/6 vision.

Another thing with the kashi yatra. The groom disowns all his property and walks out with just an umbrella, a fan and a pair of sandals stating that he's going to kashi to become a sanyasi. As per sanatana dharma, one is supposed to take sanyasa and mull upon the propounded theories and the supreme god and lead a pious life. However not all are blessed to enter the Sanyasa that easily. One needs to pass through grihasthashrama. Only greats like Adi shankara could bypass the grihasthashrama. That's when your future father in law grabs you with a pair of coconuts and request you to reconsider your decision to take up sanyasa. He says, he'll get his daughter married to you and please accept the same. Live a life of a grihastha and once that part is over, you can go finally to sanyasa.

Before relinquishing everything, one needs to do his karma as is written on him. Again, only Adi shankara could come back during his sanyasa days and light the pyre of his mother, that too in a deeply ritualistic Kerala!
Marriage is another part of the path to self realisation and liberation. I can quote many such interesting stuff over each ritual we follow!

Another interpretation of the kasi yatra is that from brahmacharya before one can enter grihasthashrama, one needs to learn what can't be taught in class rooms.
Hence the groom is asked to embark on a Yatra to Kashi which was a seat of learning and interact with many learned persons there. In olden days, it seems the groom went around for days/ months or even years learning and came back to marry. Nowadays, they realise that the moment we learn what's married life is like, we might not return back from our world tour. Hence they cut it short in the wedding hall and take us to the Altar!

Last edited by MX6 : 15th June 2010 at 15:29.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 20:57   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
excellent!

I am not religious but If I do something (or forced to do), I make sure it's done and understood properly. This is exactly how I would have done it if I had this idea.
I am also not a blind follower of rituals, i would like to know the meaning of the ritual prior to following it, be the ritual being a religious one, social one, business one or individual one.

Being educated and having more exposure will make very difficult for one to accept the rituals on their face value without knowing the deeper meaning and implications

I see that our next generation will be much more questioning the rituals for sure. but can understand the meaning when explained properly. I already see this trend in my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
used to visit swathi, while working in Kirloskar Business Park, usual place for Friday lunch out. good to see that there improvements and increase in business.
Bangalore North has changed a lot in last 3 years, i rememebr it used to take about 3-5 minutes to travel from Hebbal to Yealhanka at that time
now it takes about 25 minutes for those 7-8 KMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
There's science involved in all of the rituals. And that was lost in time.
Thanks MX6 for a different perspective on these rituals, i will be more interested to learn the scientific angle about this rituals.

Moving forward with the story.

the next day of the marriage for the rest of the people was still fun, but for me i had to meet some customers. I am not aware of the fun these gilrs had on that day with the rest of the family.

Evening was the reception which was again a grand affair, we called it a day by 10:00 PM as we had packing to do. When we completed all our packing and hit the bed it was almost 11:30 PM.

Next day, Kingfisher RED flight to Bangalore was uneventful, except that one little lady in our group was un-happy that there were no TVs in the flight.

This re-confirms one more trend, new age consumer does not want to go back to a inferior experience level once he/she is used to superior experience.

So we were atlast home on by 11 AM. All of us were together in our home after 2 full months.

We had a busy day ahead, we had to visit the school to complete the formalities needed, then had to pick up the books, uniforms, accessories, schoolbag, shoes, etc etc

We had all the cloths to be washed, ironed etc, After that we had to re-pack to go to Udupi/Kundapur to attend the second morning. I also had to get the car cleaned and refueled. We had planned to leave Bangalore next day morning 5 AM.

I never knew vacations are so difficult to live.

By the time we hit the bed it was almost 12 midnight..
We had set the alarm at 4:00 AM..

Last edited by StarVegabond : 15th June 2010 at 21:11.
Old 15th June 2010, 21:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Default Applause Applause!!

You sir have a gift for detailing your travelogue with the minutest details and loads of pics.

I read thru the entire 9 pages in one go and I am overwhelmed is the least i can say. Great job and please keep them coming.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 09:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

You sir have a gift for detailing your travelogue with the minutest details and loads of pics.

I read thru the entire 9 pages in one go and I am overwhelmed is the least i can say. Great job and please keep them coming.
Thanks abhinav for reading the entire thread and posting your comments and appreciation. Your comments help me to improve.

from 26th May till 31st May we drove from Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Mangalore - Udupi - Siddapura (near sirsi) - Ankola - Udupi - Agumbe - Hariharpura - Chikmagalur - Hassan - Bangalore total 1504 KMs.

Onward Trip
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-udupi-6.html (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)
refer post #2133

This is a wonderful looking church we saw on the way after the shiradi ghat.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-church.jpg

Return trip
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-udupi-5.html (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)
Refer post #2151

Highlights of this trip are

* Coastal Karnataka is very hot and humid, no signs of any rain.
* One needs to take cold shower typically 4 times a day viz. Morning, Noon, Evening, Night else one would feel very sweaty, salty, stinking, hot etc
* Spent couple of days being lazy and just conversing with parents and other relatives.
* Attended the wedding on 28th at Kundapura, after the travel had a long drive to Siddapura (near sirsi) - Ankola and bac, During the trip had a small incident with the car.
* Visited Kaup beach + light house and Udupi Krishana temple + Mitrasamaj.
* While returning visited Gurukul near Hariharapura

In the next three posts i will write about Kaup beach visit, incident with the car and about Gurukul

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 09:59.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* Coastal Karnataka is very hot and humid, no signs of any rain.
* One needs to take cold shower typically 4 times a day viz. Morning, Noon, Evening, Night else one would feel very sweaty, salty, stinking, hot etcl
I was there around 2nd half of April. Man, yes, it was hot. It was sweating like anything. Even now its hot? Probably a late monsoon..
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:24   #128
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Kaup or kappu is my favourite beach in that stretch! So waiting for that part
Old 16th June 2010, 11:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I was there around 2nd half of April. Man, yes, it was hot. It was sweating like anything. Even now its hot? Probably a late monsoon..
Till i was there till 31st May, it was still hot and humid.
My parents tell me that since last 3 days (probably from Jun 12) it is raining and weather is pleasant.

Moving with the story, i will first write about the Khatta incident.

On 28th, we attended the wedding till 11:30 AM. Once the auspicious moment was over, we stepped out as we had to reach Siddhapur (near Sirsi) some 165 KMs from Kundapur before 3 PM. It was the 12th day since the death of my wife's maternal grandfather and her maternal uncles had invited her (and us as well) to attend the puja and receive the prasad.
My wife being the eldest grand daughter, was the favourite of her grand father, so it was a mustdo responsibility to be there.

The onward drive was very un-eventful, we crossed my favourite Maravathe beach, drove through the busy Bhatkal town, took at coffee a 25 minute break at Kamat-Honnavar, turned towards NH206.

Roads are very inviting ans scenic with full of twists and turns
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-mh2061.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-nh2062.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-nh2063.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-nh2064.jpg

We were enjoying our drive.. suddenly a loud noise was heard from the bottom of the car and the noise continued as if something has fallen off and is getting dragged.

immediately pulled over to the sides and checked below the car. The plastic elcosure sheet which protects the several other parts had fallen off and is hanging from the one edge still fastened to the car chassis.

There was no way i can drive like that, so thought of cutting it off, but the road was very hot, can not touch with body party, There was no way i can go in under car. more over we did not had any sharp knief or tool to cut the remainder of the plastic sill fastened to the chassis.

So we raised the car using the jack, used the bedsheet which my daughter uses in the car on the hot tar road, borrowed the sickle from the nearby house and i went under the car.

By this time a small crowd of ladies and children have gathered around the car.

Despite raising the car to the full using the jack, i still could not reach the place where the plastic part was fastened (probably due to my size).

After several minutes struggle, a fully drenched version came out unsuccessful. Soon my wife decided to try, but not successful. Soon a young girl from the group wanted to try, she soon went under the car, came out in few minues with the cut plastic sheet approx 3 ft x 2 ft

soon we thanked the girl, and people, offered them some tip, but they declined . the girl was very happy that she was of some help to us.

The ladies wanted to know which car brand was ours, they wanted to see inside, so we gave them a small demo, explanation and told them how much it costs. My daughter offered everyone some chocolates which were accpeted by the kids happily.

I had a face and hand wash, and restarted the journey. The whole incident took some 40 minutes of time. I have to get the new plastic sheet fixed asap.

We reached the destination by 3.10 just in time for the final prayer session. The Puja was already over. Spent some 1.5 hours there, completed our lunch, met more relatives and restarted the journey by 4:45

Drove through Bilgi - Kumta to Ankola, visited our family temple.
Sidaapur-Bilgi-Kumta road was reasonably good, several detours for construction of small bridges etc.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-siddapurkumta-road-1.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-siddapur-kumta-road-ii.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-sidapurkumta-road-ii.jpg

Gangavali River just before Ankola
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gangavali-river.jpg

Sun trying call it a day, but we still have along way ahead.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-sun-trying-call-day.jpg

Originally we had planned to stay in Ankola or at Gokarn, but decided to head back to parent's home

Started from Ankola at 6:45 PM and reached home by 10:15 PM. Total drive of 450+KM all in a day.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:30   #130
MX6
Senior - BHPian

everytime there's a mention about coastal karnataka, I feel nostalgic. Strange thing is that I'm not from there and I don't like there since last 12 years. My parents are settled there, but live with me in Pune (complicated right?)
There's a charm to that place. And innocence to those children there.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:47   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kaup or kappu is my favourite beach in that stretch! So waiting for that part
Quote:
everytime there's a mention about coastal karnataka, I feel nostalgic. Strange thing is that I'm not from there and I don't live there since last 12 years. My parents are settled there, but live with me in Pune
There's a charm to that place.
Here you get what you want...

Kaup or Kapu is approx 14 KMs south of Udupi towards Mangalore. The Kaup beach is said to be one of the most frequented one in south canara distict (currently divided in to Mangalore and Udupi districts).

My parents tell me that i was taken there when i was a kid, but i do not rememebr going there, I wanted to visit there since long time, but managed this summer.

While going towards Mangalore, some 12Ks from Udupi, one has to take right turn into a narrow road and drive another 2-3 KMs to reach the beach.

Beach is not isolated as there are people who stay near the beach, there are several shops, eateries, two temples etc near the beach.

I will let the pictures speak about the beauty of the landscape.

#295 Pay and Park at Kaup beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-295-pay-park-near-temple.jpg

#296 This beach is considered deadly and swimming is prohibited here, but still several people die hear every year.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-296-beach-conidered-deadly-swimming-probhibited.jpg

#297 one of the small restaurant on the beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-297-one-smll-resturant-beach.jpg

#298 first wonderful view
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-298-first-mesmerising-view.jpg

#299 my daughter's grin tells it all, she wanted to go to beach since many months
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-299-my-daughters-grin-tells-all-she-liked-beach.jpg

#300 Beach and the bhel (stall) seems to be made for each other
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-300-beach-bhel-seems-eb-made-each-other.jpg

#301 Beach is an attraction for kids, families, lovers, photographers
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-301-beach-anattraction-kids-lovers-photographers.jpg

# 302, but generally we only want to go to beach-enjoy there-but do not want to keep it clean
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-302we-want-go-beachenjoy-therebut-do-not-want-keep-clean.jpg

#303 Evening time not so hot, not so cool, perfect time to go to beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-303-evening-not-so-cool-not-so-hot-perfect-time-visit.jpg

#304 Ek bangala bane nyara, on the beach
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-304-ek-bangala-bane-nyara-old-house-beach.jpg

#305 worlds greatest and natural light source and a man made one
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-305-worlds-greatest-light-source-one-man-made-light-source.jpg

#306 the light house is 34 meter tall circular stone masonry tower with black and white bandsStory of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-306-34-m-high-circular-stone-masonry-tower-black-white-bands.jpg

#307 one has to climb 9 meter tall rock using the concrete steps. the highest point of the tower is 43 meter from sea level
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-307-one-has-climb-9-meter-tall-rock-using-concrete-steps-reach-base-light-house.jpg

#308 we wanted to be up there
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-308-we-wanted-go-up-there.jpg

#309 there is a reasonable entry fee + winding stairs to go up
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-309-winding-strairs-go-up.jpg

#310 more wooden stairs to get into the lighting unit chamber
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-310-wooden-steps-go-further-up.jpg

Photography is prohibited in the lighting chamber. There is an operator who explains and answer the questions in local language. Since i knew kannada it was not a problem for us.

The range of the light is 24 nautical miles. Optical equipment is 700 mm 2nd order revolving optic assembly (3 panels) inside 3.6m dia Lantern house (Chance Bros.). The metal hallide light bulb operates on 230V AC and rated for 400W. The system uses lenses to project the light.
The light house is provided with 440V AC supply and has a generator back up. The lights are switched on at 6:20 PM every day.

I did a quick search on www and found the below info

Quote:
The Lighthouse tower was built in 1901 on a 12m high Kap rock. The ruins of Kap Battery (of cannons) can be seen close to the Lighthouse. The battery is probably one of the many such batteries established by Tippu Sultan in the region.

The second order optic and PV light source with 55mm burner was commissioned in April 1901.The equipment was supplied by M/s. Chance Bros. Birmingham.

The inside masonry lining of the tower has been raised up and served as murette while the outside masonry lining projects out to form a platform around the murette. The tower was painted white. Mr. John Oswald, the then Chief Inspector of Lighthouses had carried out his inspections on 1st March 1929 and 23rd November 1929. He recommended to adjust the character to fl (3) W 20 seconds.

In 1935 general improvements of the Lighthouses were carried out. The tower was at the time, painted with Black and white bands. The PV light source was replaced with Metal Halide lamp in March 1996
#311 The entire lighting unit looks like this. There is a curtain in front which is manually operated by the operator.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-311-lighting-unit-looks-like-.jpg

Coming up the view from the top..simply no words to describe..

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 12:51.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:25   #132
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I got more that what I wanted. Good to see you have a pay and park. Those days, we had to either get off the bus at Kaup and walk to the beach through a narrow path, or if we drive, we had to park off the highway near kaup and then walk down.

Here's a slight modification I did to one of your photo that reflects what I said in one of my earlier post!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1879785-post76.html

When I was young and raring to go, I didn't realise what stupidity I did that day. The distance is sizeable and kappu is not a safe beach. Waves crash real hard and there's been many instances of people drowning.
Now when I see the photo you've posted, I feel a chill going up my spine. What was I trying to do clambering on that rock that day?
Madness for sure. But then when young, the adrenaline rush is too much. I have had many such stuff. Mid thirties, wisdom and more importantly, a bigger paunch has now prohibited me from embarking on such wild adventures!
Here's the photo showing where I was and how much I swam that day.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-kaup.jpg
Old 16th June 2010, 13:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

I am uploading some high resolution pictures of the view from the top.
I am sure there are better photographs, but there are no better landscapes

#312 two wonderful creations first by the god, second by me and my wife
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-312-two-wonderful-creations-one-god-one-me-my-wife.jpg

#313 Lifeboats and my companion and a great voyage
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-313-life-boat-companion-long-voyage.jpg

#314/5/6 other landscapes from the top
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-314-other-views-top.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-315-other-views-top.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-316-other-views-form-top.jpg

#317 fishermen and their boats
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-317-fishermen-their-boats.jpg

#318 Rocks, a symbol of determination withstanding onslaught every other moment
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-318-rocks-symbol-determination.jpg

#319 appears to be a (golf) putting green or a moon light dinner table
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-319-appears-driving-green-put.jpg

#320/321 Sun set views
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-320-sunset-views.jpg
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-321-sun-set-views.jpg

#322 Suraj is my favorite object in this universe
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-322-suraj-my-most-favourite-object-world.jpg

#323 He is the greatest painter of all, there is no one who can mix colors like him..no one
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-323-he-great-painter.jpg

#324 he gave me an opportunity to photograph a self portrait of his
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-324-self-portrait-painter.jpg

#325 He is shy of the applause, he says it is all in a day's work
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-325-he-shy-applause.jpg

#326 before setting he said, come another day, i will show you a different painting.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-326-he-seems-say-come-another-day-i-will-show-you-better-spectacle.jpg

We spent till time 6:45 Pm at the beach, walked back to the car and started driving towards another of my favorite place

Udupi Krishna Temple followed by Mitra Samaj..coming up.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 13:47.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:14   #134
Senior - BHPian

The long stretch of the sand reminded me the beach of Diveagar and Shiroda.

In the first pic,
is it power station at the left top corner of the pic?
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

It took a while to find the Rathabeedhi (car street) in Udupi, then realized that now the vehicles are not allowed near the Krishna temple. A good decision i would say. We could find some designated parking slot in one of the by-lanes and walked to the temple

#327 Tatti Raya used to amuse me a lot, i wanted to go inside when i was a kid, still i want to, some day i want to get inside and dance along with the whole structure.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-tatti-raya.jpg

#328 Kanakan Kindi had long back changed into Kanaka Gopura. Kanaka dasa is a epitome of devotion who made the god turn back and give him the darshan. A story which provides inspiration that there is nothing impossible in the world with single minded devotion and passion.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-kanaka-gopura.jpg

#329 Teru or Terhabba (Car festival) used to be another event, the sweets, baloons, toys, new dress, tatti raya dancing, the buzz, the crowd, the devotion of people, the energy and passion with which people pull the god's chariot...some memories simply does not fade. Most important one being the pocket money the grand father used to give. That rupee or two was worth more than thousands of today
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-teru-my-favourite-event-when-i-waas-kid.jpg

#330, the temple authorities seems to have installed a new spring or sprinkler.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-seems-they-have-installed-spring-sprinkle.jpg

We got the glimpses of the Balakrishana (child krishna), prayed for few seconds and came out. I simply love the statue of krishana in Udupi, Pandharpur and probably in Belur. There seems to be a magnetic power which makes me forget everything else.

#331 Mitra Samaj...the other temple we visited on Rathabeedhi.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-mitra-samaj-other-temple-rathabeedhi.jpg

#332 and the picture of the other god..Goli baje
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-picture-other-god-goli-baje.jpg

Golibaje is not liked by everybody. My wife and daughter hate it. I will eat it only at mitra samaj for the fun or nostalgia associated with the location and the dish. I won't recommend it to any one, my suggestion is you may try it, if you like it order another plate, if you do not like it do not waste the plate, finish it off and order something else next time.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 15:40.