Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st May 2010, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Another wonderful travelogue by the Lord of Gondor.
Beautiful pictures of the Lake and the forests and the mountains. Though not so lucky this time for the mountain views!

And don't tell me that it's already over!
Thanks bro!
Yeah the peaks alluded me this time, thanks to the smoke arising from the forest fire in the area. And the worst part about the fire was that there were indications that it was caused deliberately.

Just one more installment to go, and its coming up soon.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 16:35   #17
BHPian

I don't know why they say this, but as they say, all good things must come to an end. In came the morning when we're to leave Mukteshwar and head back to the ruckus of NCR. I, again unusually, woke up early just to see the light starting to illuminate the mountains around me. I crossed my fingers, said a prayer, and started hoping that maybe today I'd catch a glimpse (at least) of the snowy peaks. Alas, that was not to be as things were as they'd been for the past two days.

Still too much Haze!

Name:  DSC07643.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  391.0 KB

Had a few ciggs in the balcony, waiting for the sun to grow strong and maybe repel the haze. Again, it wasn't to be. So I retired from my quest, to view the peaks, with a heavy heart and ordered tea for wifey who's starting to awake from her slumber.

We planned to leave not too late, as I wanted to check out the Corbett falls, near Kaladhungi, cause I'd been mesmerized by them when I'd been there in 2006. So we had a quick breakfast, settled the bills & tips and were on the road around 10:30 AM. Of course, a detour to Nainital was mandatory to gorge on the scrumptious Tibetan food in there. After a short leisurely drive, we're in Nainital. After a few clicks of the Naini Lake, we're in the market, ordering food with vigor.

Shots of Naini Lake!

Name:  DSC07296.JPG
Views: 1190
Size:  335.4 KB

Name:  DSC07298.JPG
Views: 824
Size:  355.9 KB

After devouring our dishes, it was time to head to the Kaladhungi and the falls. The drive from Nainital to Kaladhungi was, as always, a pleasure and we're soon at the entrance gates of the falls. Paid the entrance fee, for ourselves & the car, and after a short drive through the jungle we're at the parking spot for the falls. My first & only reaction was, well it was something I can't express without breaking some rules of our forum, so I won't. My reaction was the worst you can imagine, I was devastated seeing the number of people/cars/buses, just in the parking. People were drying their hair/body, towels (who'd completed the first step) and there was the typical dhik-chik emanating from the cars parked around that we associate with cars in the cities. I was ready to reverse and get out of there instantly, but since I'd been praising about the falls, and their surrounding, to wifey for so long, we decided to walk to the falls anyways. Throughout our walk, we kept seeing throngs of people carrying towels and extra clothes, the stream which used to run crystal clear four years back now looked like filled with sewage, and the place which was so serene now converted to something like a fair. It was such a put-off and I cried in my heart for mother nature. I mean looking and admiring a waterfall is ok, but why does one need to throw oneself in there, carrying soap and all. All in all, it was a sad. Moreover, all what I'd said to wifey about the falls proved wrong, and she was even more disappointed.

Some shots of the Corbett Falls.

Name:  DSC07651.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  526.5 KB

Name:  DSC07654.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  266.8 KB

Name:  DSC07656.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  559.6 KB

So with a heavy heart, I said goodbye to the Corbett falls as I was never returning to them again. From thereon, the drive back to Noida was a straightforward and uneventful one. Around 6:30, we're back home and started getting ourselves ready to face the coming Monday!
Old 27th January 2011, 00:43   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Searching for Nirvana @ Naukuciatal & Majestic Mukteshwar!

Great pics and description. Am going to Naukuchiatal in March this year for three days. Would like to go to Ranikhet and Naini at least from there. Can these be day trips? Or should I go towards Mukteswar? My base is Naukuchiatal so I have to return every evening there.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 13:08   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Searching for Nirvana @ Naukuciatal & Majestic Mukteshwar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
Great pics and description. Am going to Naukuchiatal in March this year for three days. Would like to go to Ranikhet and Naini at least from there. Can these be day trips? Or should I go towards Mukteswar? My base is Naukuchiatal so I have to return every evening there.
Thanks for the appreciation mate!

Nauku to Naini would be an hours drive, so yeah easily a half-day trip. Furthermore, you can combine Naini & Ranikhet in a single day trip if you leave early from Nauku. Nainital - Ranikhet should be about 2 hours drive (~60 Km distance). Leave early (say 8 AM) from Nauku and breakfast at Naini. After chilling at Naini, you can drive up to Ranikhet and enjoy the vistas in there, and be back at Nauku late evening. It's pretty hard to chose between Ranikhet & Mukteshwar as both are equally beautiful & tranquil. Maybe you can do another day trip to Mukteshwar which is around 55 Km from Nauku.