Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th July 2010, 16:09   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

The rally rules stipulates that your car has to be road worthy and more. In a race situation the working lights provide inputs for the driver behind. Again working windshield wipers is a must if you are going to be driving to the limit. and so on and on.

In racing rallying or any organised motor sport similar rules apply. The end purpose is to increase safety. Take care of little things bigger things take care of them selves.

It also show how much over the top you are putting your car.

Also think: How many times have you had a policeman challan you for a non working braking light? And then we wonder why people do not follow basic rules.

Last edited by sudev : 9th July 2010 at 16:11.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 16:29   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

It was almost noon and since our over stay program had been axed a group of us went for quick sight seeing to Chashme Shahi and Pari Mahal. These offer stunning views of Srinagar. Most of my pics are locked in my phone as I have misplaced the cable but few shots borrowed form Adil Nargowala. In any case it was a cloudy day offering very little contrast for long shots.

Name:  35807_1413649553564_1602318397_947652_5683971_n.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  35807_1413649753569_1602318397_947657_1857884_n.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  35807_1413649313558_1602318397_947646_2740116_n.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  50.5 KB

We drove, yes our car was free from PF rules, along the Dal lake and found a Punjabi Dhaba. Rajma Chawal, Paneer and Tandoori Roti with Dahi Bhalla and Chaat were out of the world meal after few missed or no meal days. Came back and got freshened up for the PD and dinner.

Glittering PD was held in Shere e Kashmir Convention Centre (SKICC) adjacent to Centaur hotel. While we waited for the Chief Guest to arrive we were entertained by ghazals and kashmiri music. All finishers were handed over their certificates.

The ceremony was presided over by the young Chief Minister Omar Abdullah. He gave a refreshingly small and candid speech as did other dignitaries. With promise for support for the event in the coming years.

And finally it was our turn to get our trophies....
Old 9th July 2010, 16:42   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Very interesting read! like the uniqueness of this "travel story". And of course, best of luck for the podium.

"Mughal Road Rally" - thats one heck of a name!
Sudev sir
Same feelings here. Excellent write up. Just finished page 1 only!
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 17:04   #184
BHPian

Sudev, you and Alaka are inspiration.

I am missing Raid as competitor this year. But I owe a podium position in next rally to my Gurus.

(Just in case you guys are wondering who the "Gurus" are, it is Sudev and HV. While HV spent hours on route and technique discussion (Thanks to Skype ), Sudev spent hours over coffee teaching me and my wife TSD. But we only made it to 8th position in Adventure (Car) Segment, bad even for the first time.

Also, now I think is the high time to pen down my rally experience before the event is 1 year old. Thanks.
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 17:20   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Excellent write up. Just finished page 1 only!
Thanks for vote of confidence and your enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I am missing Raid as competitor this year.
As you are likely to go as an official see my thread on Raid as an Official
;-)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...view-raid.html (An official’s view of the Raid)

[snipped]
Quote:
Also, now I think is the high time to pen down my rally experience before the event is 1 year old. Thanks.
Waiting for that. And do not miss out why there was near freezing atmosphere at the end of day one!! ;-)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th July 2010 at 17:24.
Old 9th July 2010, 21:32   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
No track log for day 1. And no altitudes in track log of day 2.

AFAIK you do not need permission for using Sinthal pass road between Kishtwar and Duksum.

AMS?

The sarai's are on route we covered on day2. But do not have way points. As I explained there was no time for pictures even let alone make track notes.

May be some other day.
Thanks

The old American maps. Search for U502.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 22:14   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The old American maps. Search for U502.
Oh okay.

The alignment is same. From Anantnag to Achabal to Marbal to Dugadde to Mughal Maidan to Kistwar then along the Chenab, first south and the west to Batote.

Very interesting maps but over so much details that one gets confused.

Last edited by sudev : 9th July 2010 at 22:17.
Old 10th July 2010, 06:27   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Default We are given trophies

Not a bad finish at all. And the icing on the cake:
Name:  DSC02939.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  56.3 KB

With Randeep at the post event scrutinee:
Name:  DSC02836.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  37.1 KB

At the rally dinner the consultations started between various competitors and officials on what was the program of returning to Delhi next day. As city of Srinagar was under curfew so most of the people who were leaving decided a 0400hrs start.

Few years before we had similarly started at 0500hrs but ended waiting for more than an hour at the tunnel since it would only open at 0800hrs, the same where ECM gremlins struck us coming in. However this time we were told that the tunnel is open 24x7.

So again it was up at 0300hrs, despite almost midnight in to the bed, and rolling out at 0400hrs. We reached Qazigund toll point and paid toll plus spent almost half an hour doing "shopping" for fruits, dry fruits and saffron.
Name:  34279_449994630863_635870863_6008357_6773925_s.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  8.3 KB

These chaps were sleeping outside their shops with shutters open. We had to wake them up and purchase stuff. I sort of apologised to this guy for waking him up. His simple reply "Paar ji main yahaan aap jaise grahak ke liye hi to so raha tha" (I was sleeping here for customers like you). He gave me his card and told me if you ever want fruits shipped to Delhi just tell me. I will ensure the best "peti" is delivered to your home. Customer service any one? Who could bargain too much against a reply like that. No wonder Kashmiri's are best salesmen. Watch them sell most expensive shawls to ladies
Name:  34668_449995455863_635870863_6008368_1090963_s.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  8.2 KB

Sorry for the size of pics from the mobile camera via facebook upload. Cable still missing.

If you take a Shikara ride in Dal lake you will be approached by salesmen on boat. Selling you kahwa (green tea), snacks, fruits, vegetables, shawls, semi precious jewellery and if want even a full course wazwan meal!!

Next stop Peerah.....
Old 10th July 2010, 10:57   #189
BHPian

Sudev sir, what was your final result. What position. Cant see clearly in the pic.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 12:24   #190
Senior - BHPian

Sudev Saab, so you won a Fifty Thousand prize is it
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 13:37   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

I won fourth position in the TSD category (Enduro) with prize cheque of 50K. This mean that almost all my expenses for the rally and related stuff are almost taken care of. Do not know if TDS would be deducted or not.

Not bad.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:05   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who know the region well and have travelled often betwen Jammu and Srinagar there are favourite spots that are often used for breaks in the tedious hill journey. First and most obvious is Katra. From here most of the devotees travel for Vaishno Mata darshan.

Passing on comes Udhampur, not a stop but more of a big town on the way. The next stop candidate is Kud or Patnitop. Kud is where you get yummy "patisa" and chocolate burfi. And it has decent eating dhabhas too.

Patnitop is more for over night stays, having many hotels, and day travellers stopping here instead of Kud do so to eat freshly roasted corn or purchase fruits. Up to Patnitop the road is climbing up. From here the decent starts till Ramban where the road crosses the mighty Chenab river, slightly down stream of Baglihar Hydro project, glimpses of which can be had from the road itself.

After Patnitop comes Batote, more eating dhabhas and fruit shops. A road branches off on right hand towards Doda Kishtawar region from here. Between Batote and Ramban is a nondescript village with few dhabhas called "Peerah"

I will come back to this in a while. After Ramban come Ramsu and dreaded land slide zone around "Khooni nallah". Banihal is next from where steep climb starts again for the famous tunnels that link in to the valley.

Peerah is famous for it devotion to single variety cuisine - Rajmah Chawal with Anardana Chatni (RMCAC). You do get other things to eat too but 24x7 RMCAC is available. There is something special in the way it is cooked and tastes. Y have to have a plate to see. Last two times I travelled on this highway I had missed having RMCAC so this time around I was determined not to miss.

We crossed Tunnel without any ECM gremlins stricking again and reached Peerah at about 0700hrs in the morning. Time for early breakfast of RMCAC. So a plate full of plain boiled rice is heaped with Rajmah and then unbelievable quantity of "ghee" and spices" are poured over the plate for "tadka" right in front of you.

Alka: Bhaiya bus ghee au mat dalo (enough no more oil)
Cook: Madame there is no taste without this (This was actually in Punjabi)

Alka looked at me rolling her eyes. But the first mouthful and both of us were ummmmm....

Women can never resist a bargain. The Anardana Chatni (Paste made from dried Pomegranate seeds) was something else. This meant Alka ended up buying a few packets of Anardana as well because "Delhi se ek tihai daam par hai" (it is at one third the price compared to Delhi). We had already purchased fruits on similar justifications. But hey I was not complaining they were delicious than any stiff we got in Delhi.

We decided to go for another half a plate each of RMCAC ;-)

A leisurely (heavy) breakfast followed by mandatory cup of tea and we were ready to go. In the meanwhile a few other had started passing us by. All heading back home to normal daily tasks and routines.

We were in a hurry too as target was to be back home at Faridabad for the night. But not in that much of hurry as to miss out soaking in last sights and smells.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:21   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for record we stopped again at Kud and bought Patisa and Burfi ;-)

Then it was continuous drive. In the meanwhile us, Jangra, Randeep, Manjeev, Indeep, and Surhid were all in a sort of convoy. At Udhampur we again took the Dhar road to byepass Katra/Jammu. We stopped at Madhopur after crossing over to Punjab to regroup and give chance to Jangra and Randeep to have their breakfast. While we enjoyed a dosa and lassi.

Then it was a tedious task of fore-noon to late noon driving through Pathankot-Jallandhar-Ludhiana-Ambala. A small late lunch break here and then again drive drive drive through to Delhi. Traffic chaos there meant lots of time to cross from North to South of Delhi and reach Faridabad by 2100hrs. Not bad almost a 1000kms in 17 hours including breaks. Alka caught up some sleep time in between.

Next things that I liked and those that I hated.

PS: Any one watched overdrive on CNN-IBN today? Shows my GV crossing through the rivulet with water almost reaching to of front grill for a moment. Scary. What some people do for fun!!

Last edited by sudev : 10th July 2010 at 15:22.
Old 10th July 2010, 15:28   #194
BHPian

Quote:
The rally rules stipulates that your car has to be road worthy and more. In a race situation the working lights provide inputs for the driver behind. Again working windshield wipers is a must if you are going to be driving to the limit. and so on and on.

In racing rallying or any organised motor sport similar rules apply. The end purpose is to increase safety. Take care of little things bigger things take care of them selves.

It also show how much over the top you are putting your car.

Also think: How many times have you had a policeman challan you for a non working braking light? And then we wonder why people do not follow basic rules.
Thanks for explaining
So is it advisable to carry spares and replace them - so that it remains road worthy?

Quote:
PS: Any one watched overdrive on CNN-IBN today? Shows my GV crossing through the rivulet with water almost reaching to of front grill for a moment. Scary. What some people do for fun!!
To compensate for Monday's bharat bandh we are working today and hence :(

Quote:
This is a travelogue and not about Rally of the Mughal Road.
Going back to your first post, who said it is not about the "rally"! It is rally and then so many more things.
Thanks Sudev once more for giving this wonderful account.

Last edited by arindamray : 10th July 2010 at 15:37.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 16:35   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Default A picture worth a thousand words....

Things that were good:
Short and hectic trip
Enjoyed every moment of it
Loved the in cabin spats and more..
Munched through freshest of fruits. Had not had so many and so much fruits in one full year perhaps.
The whole group to chat and catch up with
Once in life time opportunity

Things that could improve:
Time schedule to allow some time for pictures
Average speeds through crowded areas that were not insane
Should have been able to take a few more days off

Would I do this again: YES!!

This picture shared by Prof. Shekhar Verma, from Jaipur, give a fitting end to this travelogue:
Name:  34526_442289920707_699025707_6355028_4317351_n.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  47.9 KB