Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th July 2010, 18:14   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
So is it advisable to carry spares and replace them - so that it remains road worthy?
Do not abuse your car beyond limits or get/buy parts and replace them before you get in.

Why should brake light stop working if you use good quality / O.E. fixtures? Etc. Etc.

Quote:
To compensate for Monday's bharat bandh we are working today and hence :(
It is repeated again tonite and tomorrow.

Quote:
Thanks Sudev once more for giving this wonderful account.
You are welcome.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 19:50   #197
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I won fourth position in the TSD category (Enduro) with prize cheque of 50K. This mean that almost all my expenses for the rally and related stuff are almost taken care of. Do not know if TDS would be deducted or not.

Not bad.
Congratulations, it must have been a great feeling to finish and come out to 4th position.

Been following this thread closely, a great account and a detailed one... some part of me with envy, some part with excitement and in the end joy that your team did well.

--------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 20:51   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudev ji , Alka ji,

Congratulations on your successful completion of the rally and gaining overall 4th position.

I think it is a fantastic re-start for your rally career.
wish you many many more great finishes

thanks for sharing.

StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 20:58   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats again. 4th is a great finish. Is this going to be a yearly event?

Quote:
As the TSD rally goes I would say roughly 150 odd kms were non-tarmac. Rest all was tarmac. The down slope from Sinthan pass to Mughal Maidan near Kishtwar on day one was good kutcha track that would be tarred by next year hopefully. The up and down the Peer-Ki-Gali is under construction and in patches is very bad. And water crossings three four of them with heavy water flow and slippery rock bed.
You mean the TSD rally has a different route compared to the pros? Sorry if I missed that.

Were there any cars running the event? Like Esteem or Cedia?

I guess they will be much faster in the smoother sections if they can manage the river crossings?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 21:03   #200

Thanks all who have enjoyed the thread. I did.

The last two days were truly ones where we were relaxed. Not that others days there was no enjoyment but nothing relaxing.

First day all the excitement with car getting stalled in middle of tunnel.

Second day scrutiny hassles. Although I wonder why competitors take so long for paper work scrutiny. Perhaps we were fastest in terms of time. We had all papers organised in folders and so were able to get everything checked in a jiffy.

Third and fourth day was Me My Calculator My Road book and Head down and his shouting!!

Fifth day was relaxed affair and the second prize winner gave us free entertainment to start the day.

Sixth day was relaxed travelling back. Stopping where was our want.

Thanks again for reading.

Next time I'd rather go as an official than be a navigator. I know I am not good enough driver to have some one else (you know who) navigating.
alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 21:07   #201
Senior - BHPian

Sudev Saab, I don't know whether anyone asked this previously or not but here it goes:

I remember reading that the rally was open only for 4X4 vehicles. Could you tell us how many time did you engage the 4W lever. Was it 4H for high speed gravel / mud stretches or was it mainly 4L for steep trail switchbacks?

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 06:50   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I remember reading that the rally was open only for 4X4 vehicles. Could you tell us how many time did you engage the 4W lever. Was it 4H for high speed gravel / mud stretches or was it mainly 4L for steep trail switchbacks?
The GV is a permanent 4x4 drive train. I engaged 4x4 Low to cross the stream of water once. In retrospect I should have done the uphill from Bufliaz to Peer-Ki-Gali in 4x4Low. Would have given me lot of acceleration out of uphill slopes and switchbacks and helped maintain better average speeds. These sections were where I had maximum penalties for running late - 12 minutes out of total 20 odd minutes of penalties. Could have made world of difference to the results. ;-)

On the other hand a Bolero and an Innova also traversed through. Slush portions had been fully covered with fresh gravel dumping and it was dry.
Old 11th July 2010, 07:03   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Been following this thread closely, a great account and a detailed one... some part of me with envy, some part with excitement and in the end joy that your team did well.
Thanks ramkya1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Congrats again. 4th is a great finish. Is this going to be a yearly event?
Thats what the organisers say. Watch out for next event announcement.

Quote:
You mean the TSD rally has a different route compared to the pros? Sorry if I missed that.
?? No the route was same. Only the TC's were different (secret) and the average target speeds given were different.

Quote:
Were there any cars running the event? Like Esteem or Cedia? I guess they will be much faster in the smoother sections if they can manage the river crossings?
The road, especially the second day would not be suitable (possible?) for low slung cars. People do this in high ground clearance two wheel drive vehicles. And it is not just the water crossings.

IAC the event was for 4x4 vehicles. Perhaps a converted 4x4 Cedia (there are one or two in the country used for rallying) could have tried.

Name:  36347_409230591433_533251433_5100597_2619436_n.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  164.4 KB
Old 11th July 2010, 07:31   #204
Team-BHP Support

Alkaji, Sudevi! (@Star let me change the order, ladies first!)

Congrats to both of you for winning the prize! Great!
Its really amazing.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 08:27   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ampere for charging us up! (pun intended)
Old 11th July 2010, 09:10   #206
BHPian

Been following this thread for some time now.
First of all congratulations to Alka mam nd Sudev sir for this achievement.

It was both thrilling and exciting to read your narration. The navigator truly presented an unbiased version of the story.

Sudev sir did you catch hold of that ECM gremlin or its long forgotten. It must have been a nerve wrecking experience stalling
of all the places in the middle of the tunnel. But it was nice to learn that you completed the rally without even a flat tyre.

Once again congrats and wishing many more podium finishes.
amikacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 09:42   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

@amikacin: No ECM gremlins are either hidden away or, better still, have run away. Perhaps a WMD40 treatment of throttle body connector did the trick. Thanks for appreciation and wishes.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:16   #208
BHPian

Quote:
@amikacin: No ECM gremlins are either hidden away or, better still, have run away. Perhaps a WMD40 treatment of throttle body connector did the trick. Thanks for appreciation and wishes.

Sudev Saab! I had seen your profile before this, did notice your age there.

BUT, forgot all about that while reading through the travelogue. All this while i was thinking "This must be a guy in his 20's or early 30's"

I had to go check your profile again to verify your age, when i saw the final photos of yourself. I just cannot believe it!

I really must say it is a great effort to be just be able to do this sort of a thing at this age and to do it so brilliantly.. ____________" NO words!

I hope you do it again and improve on the ranking!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 11:04   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

@unoczar: Thanks for the complements. At fifty I do not think I am over the hill - no not by long shot. Though some times I wish I was younger - who does not.
Old 11th July 2010, 12:25   #210
akp
BHPian

Just saw the tv program. Of course some of the water crossings and rough stretches of roads came out better in their videos, but like most cut-and-paste job done in a hurry, the program left a lot to be desired. I enjoyed your duet here (don't know what better way to describe this thread) a lot lot more. A big thanks to both of you for sharing your experiences, and congratulations on a great finish.
akp is online now   Reply With Quote