Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th July 2010, 12:56   #211
BHPian

congrats sudev sir and alka ji for your 4th place finish.

Did you get a chance to figure out why the ECM was acting up so funny. When you started off in the drive for the rally, and the ECM troubles, frankly i was expecting to have more dramas enroute. but good that the car didnt reallly trouble you and you completed the rally without any penalty fines for non working parts.

Goes to show the reliability levels of the GV.

Edit: can someone post links of the shows and videos that cover the event on youtube/elsewhere

Last edited by leadf00t : 11th July 2010 at 12:58. Reason: youtube links requested
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 14:30   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@unoczar: Thanks for the complements. At fifty I do not think I am over the hill - no not by long shot. Though some times I wish I was younger - who does not.
Congratulations again Alka and Sudev for Grand Finish. You spirit and enthusiasm is quite amazing and proves that age is just a number. 4th position is not bad at all.

I watched quite a few videos on youtube. The one (below) has considerable stuff covered. How did you manage through the water crossing at Chittapani. Gaurav Chirpal, who was also driving the GV got stuck and his engine got locked (hydrostatically). You think his engine got locked because he kept his engine running (or did he?). Are there some best practices to follow in such situations? One wrong move and you are out of the completion. He was driving good and missed his spot.

It was amazing to see other fellow (I think it was Randeep Miglani) to access the situation (way) and pass through the narrow space. The truck there tried to get Gaurav out but the rope broke (Either truck driver lacked the experience or the rope was not apt).

sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 22:00   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
The one (below) has considerable stuff covered. How did you manage through the water crossing at Chittapani. Gaurav Chirpal, who was also driving the GV got stuck and his engine got locked (hydrostatically). You think his engine got locked because he kept his engine running (or did he?). Are there some best practices to follow in such situations? One wrong move and you are out of the completion. He was driving good and missed his spot.

It was amazing to see other fellow (I think it was Randeep Miglani) to access the situation (way) and pass through the narrow space. The truck there tried to get Gaurav out but the rope broke (Either truck driver lacked the experience or the rope was not apt).
I just waded though at lower speed without any problems or fuss.

Chiripal approached it very fast and whats more he had K&N cyclone air intake right next to radiator. The intake was open to water when front end splashed in and resulted in hydro static lock. And what is not apparent a cracked engine block!

Slow and steady is most of the time sensible suggestion. There was another stream later on deeper but shorter. Again a slow pass through ensured no fuss or trouble.

Randeep was getting delayed because of missed attempt to pull out GV by the truck. He managed to just squeeze through with little scratch from the truck tyre on the rear left arch extension (Gypsy wide track has them these on all four wheel arches). Initial attempt to pull out was with a rope but truck gave an almighty heave and wire rope broke. Later with slower pull and use of nylon strap the GV was pulled out easily.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 16:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

sad, I missed the telecast, is it available online?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 17:17   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Not very good quality but at Times Now site you can watch this. Part one is here there are four parts
Rally of the Moghul Road 2010- Part 1-Times Drive-Weekend Shows -TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos
Old 13th July 2010, 17:19   #216
Team-BHP Support

I don't think you missed much. I will put a transcript here

"Mughal road, in the footsteps of mughals" blah blah
Ford Endeaver 4x4, blah blah blah blah blah blah(repeat 1 million times)
Look at this gypsy(2 seconds)
Ford endeavor 4x4 blah blah blah blah (repeat 1 million times)
GV in water(10 seconds)

So no need to watch video
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 17:36   #217
BHPian

Sudev sir and Alka madam,

Congrats for both of you for this great achievement. Wish you both many more happy rally days in future. Its a salute for your passion, commitment and seer determination.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 17:53   #218
BHPian

Only God knows how I missed this thread. Superb read Sudev sir and Alka mam. Congratulations to both of you for a great finish. Podium would have been even better!

Quote:
Slow and steady is most of the time sensible suggestion.
Very true sir. Commonsense, but then it isn't that common, is it?

Quote:
Randeep was getting delayed because of missed attempt to pull out GV by the truck. He managed to just squeeze through with little scratch from the truck tyre on the rear left arch extension (Gypsy wide track has them these on all four wheel arches).
Yeah can see that mark on his gypsy parked next to my house. Great result for him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't think you missed much. I will put a transcript here

"Mughal road, in the footsteps of mughals" blah blah
Ford Endeaver 4x4, blah blah blah blah blah blah(repeat 1 million times)
Look at this gypsy(2 seconds)
GV in water(10 seconds)

So no need to watch video
Very true Tanveer. Thats the case with all these TV channels. They cover rallies as if it is a procession. Just kill the fun and thrill of the event.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 13th July 2010 at 18:01.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 18:17   #219
Senior - BHPian

Was watching TV during the weekend and saw some clips on Times Now about the Mughal Road Rally. Then I remembered that there is a thread here about the same which I have not yet read!

And, here I am, after going through the last 15 pages of this thread, completely lost for words...

Hats-off to both of you.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 18:07   #220
Senior - BHPian

Wow sudev sir. What a story and congrats to you and Alkaji for completing this. I really loved the way the story was told + the in cabin duels

This confirms one rule which many married couple say: Your Wife is always right. No two ways about it!
maddy42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 19:14   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys for the appreciation.

@maddy42: You hit it right on the nail head.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:05   #222

Quote:
Thanks guys for the appreciation.

@maddy42: You hit it right on the nail head.
Kya baat Hai Sir Ji! Awesome read of a Rally Stalwart. Kudos to u and ur best half. You guys look really cool at the PD. This blow up should go up on your lounge.
CheersVinay

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th July 2010 at 02:10.
Powerbaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 08:06   #223

Default Energy sapped!!

Once the two days of rallying were over we started feeling oh so tired. The high of competition leaves you in a zombie state. Although we had half a day for exploring Srinagar but I did not have heart to push my "driver"

Here he is catching few winks at the ceremonial flag in. Thanks Randeep for the capture:
Name:  DSC02888.JPG
Views: 480
Size:  74.0 KB

And the scariest part was when we had to cross this fast flowing stream(?)
Name:  36843_1311539231017_1306717043_30703650_7039810_n.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  116.1 KB
alka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 10:31   #224
BHPian

Hi Sudev,
Just came across this TL. Initial thoughts were that Mughal Road referred to Delhi-Agra. I was so wrong. Anyways, checking out the TL now.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:41   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sami: Mughals were the one who "conquered" Kashmir using these very routes to travel back and forth in summers. And as story goes Jehangir died on the way at Chingiz. Bufliaz is namd after the per horse of Alexandeer, who also died there. Mughal Maidan is also named after the place where armies fought with independent Kishtwar principality.

Yet I agree generally Mughal (and Mughalai) is more associated with Delhi-Agra-Luckhnow belt.