Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st May 2010, 21:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thanks for that info.
What is the normal rooute the safari tempo takes - basically if it is a day trip what choices do one get there to do.

kannimara trek, and the tram trek - is it separately available for a day tripper? Or is it only for the ones who prefers to stay there ?
The van goes via Thunukadavu dam, upto Parambikulam dam, the only deviation it takes from the road is towards the Kannimara teak.

The tramway trek is available as both one day and two days trip, while the Kannimara trek is available as a single day trek. Official website of Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala, India has almost all the details of the various eco tourism packages offered by Kerala Forest Department.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 21:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Valparai & Athirapally sights

On the way to Balaji temple at Karumalai Estate, lovely little temple, well worth the visit to Valparai. Due to photography ban was unable to take a pic of the temple.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-18052010_003.jpg
Another view of the guest house
White Lightning strikes Valparai-66.jpg
Lower Sholayar dam
White Lightning strikes Valparai-70.jpg
White Lightning strikes Valparai-71.jpg
The Valparai - Athirapally road is far better condition than what it used to be when I last travelled in August '09. Only one stretch of about couple of kms is a long bad stretch, at most places the bad stretch is no more than a couple of 100 mts.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-72.jpg
Vaazchal Falls
White Lightning strikes Valparai-73.jpg
Athirapally falls awaiting the monsoon to come back to its full glory
White Lightning strikes Valparai-74.jpg
White Lightning strikes Valparai-75.jpg
My Kids enjoying their first bath in running water.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-76.jpg
On the way back to Valparai from Athirapally we were greeted by sights like this.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-77.jpg
White Lightning strikes Valparai-78.jpg
Lower Sholayar dam on the way back, how a few hours changed the sight all together.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-79.jpg
Nilgiri Thar on the way back to Chennai from Valparai
White Lightning strikes Valparai-82.jpg
The driver who was referred to us by the Guest House Manager, was very knowledgeable and knew almost every other person at Valparai.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-65.jpg
The caretaker & the cook who gave us some very good memories of our stay by taking care of us so well.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-81.jpg
Old 21st May 2010, 21:31   #18
gvk
BHPian

Hello Srikanth.. We have visited Valparai during 11th to 14th May. Missed out Topslip and Parambikulam. Your pictures are amazing.. Planning to visit again during October.
gvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 21:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvk View Post
Hello Srikanth.. We have visited Valparai during 11th to 14th May. Missed out Topslip and Parambikulam. Your pictures are amazing.. Planning to visit again during October.
Hi GVK, we must have just crossed each others path some where on the highways. Topslip is still dry, so you would not have missed much, October should be a great time to visit Valparai again.
Old 21st May 2010, 22:00   #20
gvk
BHPian

Srikanth, we stayed at Valparai Village. It's like Rampur in the movie Sholay. When my brother visited Valparai last year they stayed in some tea estate like you guys. The major problem with us was Language, none of us could speak Tamial or Malayalam.
gvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

How was the estate bungalow stay, the sumo trip and costs - if you can share?
I see that you are very happy with them
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 22:37   #22
BHPian

Srikanth, nice pictures. I especially liked the expression of the LTM.

Quote:
Nutty - your valaprai log is long overdue
Man, it's so much easier to just read these travelogues. Any way there is a slew of Valparai travelogues here. Thought I would wait for the flood to abate. Ok, ok, I will start the log today itself.
Nutty Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 23:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pictures there!

Planning to visit Munnar and Valparai in the first week of June. Hopefully the rains should have started by then
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 06:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How was the estate bungalow stay, the sumo trip and costs - if you can share?
I see that you are very happy with them
The stay at the estate bungalow was very good. We extended our stay by one more day. Though we had asked for a garlic free food, the cook managed to churn out some amazing food, am sure he is more than capable of making good non veg dishes as well.

While the morning safari to Puthuthottam estates, which incidentally is part of the Stanmore group, cost us Rs.800/-. The LTM's are concentrated in this estate, so that advantage of staying with one of the Stanmore properties is the time you can spend with the LTMs'.

The day trip cost us Rs.1500/- for the entire sightseeing.

@ Nutty Nair - Good that you have started your story, would love to see how the place changes over the months

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 22nd May 2010 at 06:32.
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Stanmore bungalow looks great - where exactly is it? And can one walk in without advance bookings?

Sad that private cars are not allowed into Parambikulam anymore. Regarding the bungalows (and the stilted houses by the water's edge) in Parambikulam, earlier one had to do bookings through the Forest Office in Palakkad - is it the same or can one take them on the spot?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Stanmore bungalow looks great - where exactly is it? And can one walk in without advance bookings?

Sad that private cars are not allowed into Parambikulam anymore. Regarding the bungalows (and the stilted houses by the water's edge) in Parambikulam, earlier one had to do bookings through the Forest Office in Palakkad - is it the same or can one take them on the spot?
Stanmore has 4 properties at Valparai,

1. Stanmore Bungalow
2. Injiparai
3. Monica Garden Bungalow
4. Fairwinds Villa

During weekdays and unseason am sure you can walk in without any prior booking, I have the numbers of both the manager and the person handling reservation, will message you the numbers any time you want.

At Parambikulam the bookings are these days handled by the Information Centre at Parambikulam, may be during peak season you may not get accommodation without prior notice, rest of the time you can always call them and book.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some Macro shots taken at the guest house

White Lightning strikes Valparai-46.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-47.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-48.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-67.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-68.jpg
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:28   #28
BHPian

One more enchanting Valparai travelogue !!!

Srikanth, now you have put me in a difficult position. I was planning to go to Munnar during Aug / Sept, but reading your superb report & photographs, am thinking whether i should change my trip and go to Valparai instead of Munnar !!!

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 22nd May 2010 at 13:30.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:54   #29
Team-BHP Support

The sunrise snap is very nice ! Valparai has been on my list for quite some time. Need to do it after rains, as you mention.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 10:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
One more enchanting Valparai travelogue !!!

Srikanth, now you have put me in a difficult position. I was planning to go to Munnar during Aug / Sept, but reading your superb report & photographs, am thinking whether i should change my trip and go to Valparai instead of Munnar !!!
Rajesh in my opinion Munnar would be the same if you visit now or may be a year or so down the line, but Valparai is best enjoyed before it becomes too commercial. Till such time Valaprai does not have regular accomodation & dining options you will have only day trippers there, once that changes the place would no more me the same. So I suggest you finish Valparai before its character changes.