Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th May 2010, 22:45   #1
BHPian

Default 1 Day Trip to Nighoj - One of Maha's best kept secret.

Rajaram, THANKS!

I was looking for a Summer location that would "transform" in the Monsoons. Your post gave my the Ideal location. This is summer stuff and in Monsoons, I just cant wait to see the havoc the water would play in here.

Moderators, if this is too small for a travelogue, please merge it with rajaram's thread on the same location.

Started at around 10 AM, yes late! No hope for Chincholi Morachi. Reached around 12 and the place was deserted except some marriage group who had come to the temple.

Took from Swargate area (was a little lost inside Pune after Holkar bridge, missed the left as per Google Maps) SH 60 which was excellent. At a fork (around 70 Kms from Aundh, where I started from) took the left smaller road to Shirur. The right one would remain to be a 4 lane carriage (SH 60) way and would carry on to Ahamadnagar. The road deteriorates a little from here, but good.

At Shirur there is a huge poster for Chincholi Morachi, advertised as an agricultural tour location. After Shirur, the road remains the same. You cross a bridge and take the next (almost) hairpin left to Nighoj. this is where the fun starts. The road is at times rough and almost off-road level, at times it is pot-holed and when smooth, it has this undulating nature such that if you do around 60-70 KmPH, you will feel as if you are flying between troughs (crest to crest) at times .

As Nighoj village ends, the road turns right and on your left you will see a archway (kaman in local lingo). You turn right into the archway and take a immediate left, and continue for 3-4 KMs.

You will reach a flat land and see a temple at the end. The river flows through a gorge here so you get no idea that you have reached. Take your car/ bike past a small lone shop (tapri) till the smaller temple and park. walk about 50 Mts and you get the first glimpse of the wonderful Potholes.

be careful, the flat space you walk on is actually a river bed (though in summer the river flows about 50 Mts below through the gorge). It looks simple and easy to the eye, but you have to be careful to keep your balance.

Food: there is a hotel Nisarg a minutes walk from where you park, you will pass it while coming in. And also a few more on the way between Noghoj and this place.

On the way back, I missed the right for Shirur from Nighoj and ended up straight on to NH 60. So missed Chincholi Morachi. Did not miss much I guess since it was 2 PM and the peacocks would be resting in shades. But this was a much better route. While going from Pune, One can ignore the form for Shirur and carry on on NH 60. BUT, to get the left cut to Nighoj would be very, very tricky. I am sorry I did not keep a record of actual Kilometers for the Toll booth as a marker. That would have helped. The next person going (any one incl. myself) please do that (Second toll booth to the Nighoj cut off). So for the ones who would like to give Shhirur a miss it would be ideal.

Rest, I will let the pictures take over.
Exhaust_Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:52   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You couldn't call me? I'd have joined you to Nighoj. Well actually I'm waiting for the monsoons.
You should go to Chincholi Morachi when the temperatures are better. Either mornings or dusk. I went there at around 4:30 or so and saw over 40 peacocks.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:04   #3
BHPian

Images described (how the He** do I insert text between imaged... Duh!)

Left to right, top to bottom -

1. My bike which took me all the way and back. - It was all good until I returned and sat on my bed...posterior hurt quite a bit

2. A typical pot hole. Are these small stones at the bottom responsible for such creation?

3. The wide rived bed. This is one side only. The river is now 40-50 Mts below! The temple side is higher than this side so the temple is safe from flooding.

4. River Ghod flows calmly now.

5. The river below. was tempted to jump. Did not know the depth and it was quite far below to risk jumping into shallow water.

6. Some of the pot holes can easily accommodate 3 people for camping.
What say guys? - A one-night camp?. Would not even need a roof in Summer.

7. A series of pot holes. I assume the river flows from left to right (standing on Nighoj side and facing the temple side). Assuming that, the potholes in every series start as small ones and then grow larger in size.

Note that the temple is on the other side and the gorge is almost hidden to eye. It is quite wide one though.

8. Far side, the walls are also cut through.

9. Another view of the river's might.

10. The temple.
Attached Images

Old 29th May 2010, 23:17   #4
BHPian

Default Last post - the Potholes and local residents

Images described - Left - right, Top - bottom.

1. A view of the pot holes spread out.

2. Another Pot hole.

3. A Deep one (on the far side)

4. Local resident.

5. Local housing (not sure)?

6. Sparkling waters.

7 & 8. Submerged potholes.

I would like to end this post by saying that, among 100s of other things in my mind, it crossed my mind many a times that these pictures do NOT do justice to the wonder. Only a genius of the caliber of Rudra-ji (and the like) could bring out the feeling of being there. - That holds true for every photo I click, but some locations are kind of.. easy .

It is not the lens/ model (subject) in front of the camera that matters, it is the eye behind the view-finder.
And, then, I reduced the sizes of the images for uploading

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 29th May 2010, 23:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You couldn't call me? I'd have joined you to Nighoj. Well actually I'm waiting for the monsoons.
You should go to Chincholi Morachi when the temperatures are better. Either mornings or dusk. I went there at around 4:30 or so and saw over 40 peacocks.
In my later post (2nd or 3rd) I proposed a 1-night camping . I am fairly new so missed declaring the plan. in future, will do!! PM-ing you my Email Id and Number.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 29th May 2010 at 23:24.
Old 29th May 2010, 23:30   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Once you upload all those photos, close the window.
Attachment showing steps to upload and then closing the upload window
Name:  Attachment.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  52.9 KB

Type your caption in this window and then click on the drop down icon next to the attachment icon. It will show all the attachments already uploaded.
Something like this attachment
Name:  insert.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  36.4 KB

Instead of choosing the insert all option displayed, choose only that photo that needs to go under the caption you've typed.
Repeat this step for all attachments uploaded.

Finally click the preview button to see whether you have the correct captions against the photos.
If yes, then go ahead and hit the post button.
Old 30th May 2010, 02:35   #7
BHPian

Many thanks MX6!
It is indeed easy once you explained. I just attached and submitted. So it was the Insert all that went up by default.
Old 30th May 2010, 19:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

I loved reading through your travelogue. These are the kind of places which I really like to visit, May be one day.

Tell me, the water of the river looks pretty clean but seems to be green in colour. Is it the algae or is it some mineral in the water that gives it the green colour??

Thanks
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 19:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

The rock formation look very much like Mekedatu, where you would see Cauvery in all its glory. (The same geographical conditions I guess.)

You can also add this small (if you call it) TL to The Maha Maharashtra TL.
But the flip side of it is that all TLs in Maharashtra would end up in the same thread!

But an amazing place whatsoever!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 23:13   #10
BHPian

Thanks Deky, Ampere & MX. This is my first TL and an mighty anxious about how it is received .

The green color is primarily due to algae. But, cannot rule out minerals since the rock is easily erodible (hence the pot holes). Not too sure as I do not have enough knowledge in this. Algae, for sure.
Old 31st May 2010, 02:07   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

E-Note. Let's make a trip there again once the rain starts. That place transforms magical during the rains. Imagine, water falling from one rock to another and so on.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
E-Note. Let's make a trip there again once the rain starts. That place transforms magical during the rains. Imagine, water falling from one rock to another and so on.
Bingo!!
I have every alternate Sat and Sun free. The other week ends I will have to go to Navi Mumbai to visit my family. So planning it would not be an issue for my side

Mods: Can I start a thread named "Maharashtra Trip Plans announced here - for other to join" so that we have kind of a live diary of who plans what and then create the groups .. some thing like the Off Road Plans or T-BHP meets but all in one thread? Maybe others can start form Bangy and Chennai and so on.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 31st May 2010 at 12:37.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:43   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Bingo!!
I have every alternate Sat and Sun free. The other week ends I will have to go to Navi Mumbai to visit my family. So planning it would not be an issue for my side

Mods: Can I start a thread named "Maharashtra Trip Plans announced here - for other to join" so that we have kind of a live diary of who plans what and then create the groups .. some thing like the Off Road Plans or T-BHP meets but all in one thread? Maybe others can start form Bangy and Chennai and so on.
For this we can use the T-BHP meet section.
Just start a thread of meeting at pune on a saturday at some time followed by a drive to some location. Interested members will join.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
For this we can use the T-BHP meet section.
Just start a thread of meeting at pune on a saturday at some time followed by a drive to some location. Interested members will join.
cool . thanks. Will do that in future.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If one wants to look at rocks in riverbed, visit after monsoon gets over. Pot holes in riverbed make roaring sound in that small 700-900 meter patch.
During monsoon, water would just cover most of the rocks. I didn't visit last year due to untimely rains in November.
sukiwa is online now   Reply With Quote