Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 10:45   #46
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

pic of sun rise and visit to Vivekananda rock.

Name:  L1A10 779.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  L1A10 785.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  L1A10 803.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  L1A10 807.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  19.5 KB

Name:  L1A10 810.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  39.6 KB

Name:  L1A10 844.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  L1A10 848.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  L1A10 854.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  L1A10 857.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  67.4 KB
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 08:33   #47
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default Padmanabha puram palace - 400 years old palace.

Last place in our itinerary for the season. Slippers/Shoes not allowed.
Monday is closed. I have seen many part of this palace in films too.
The palace is big and multi-storied. it was built in AD 1610. A lot of Chinese influence can be seen in carving and technology used.

How to reach : 65 kms from TVM or 30 kms from Kanyakumari. One has to take right while coming from KK at a place called Thucklai. The palace is located around 3 kms from NH.

Note : En route from KK there is a ancient hanuman temple name Suchindaram which is around 13 kms. We could not have dharshan as it was closed when we crossed around 2.30 pm. it opens at 4 pm in the evening.
Also there is a water all too near the palace. Didnt remember the name.

Name:  L1A10 875.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  L1A10 876.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  L1A10 877.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  L1A10 878.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  L1A10 880.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  L1A10 883.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  L1A10 884.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  L1A10 889.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  L1A10 893.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  L1A10 895.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  L1A10 901.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  L1A10 902.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  L1A10 907.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  L1A10 909.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  54.9 KB

Name:  L1A10 910.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  L1A10 912.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  L1A10 914.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  L1A10 920.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  L1A10 921.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  L1A10 923.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  L1A10 924.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  L1A10 928.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  L1A10 930.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  L1A10 933.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  71.4 KB
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 14:26   #48
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

This closes our trip for the season.
Total distance traveled = 700 kms , fuel = 28 liters approx for Rs 1500.
Further update on next vacation.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 14:59   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi v&v

thanks for the detailed photolog. i have waited for you to finish

God's own country and your description, pictures of it certainly deserves a 5 star. It has motivated me to make a visit, let me try.

thanks for sharing...
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 07:46   #50
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi v&v

thanks for the detailed photolog. i have waited for you to finish

God's own country and your description, pictures of it certainly deserves a 5 star. It has motivated me to make a visit, let me try.

thanks for sharing...
thanks StarVegabond. It worth a visit. There are many more places like these i my list to cover. Yes truly God's on country.

v&v

Last edited by v&v : 13th June 2010 at 07:47.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 08:24   #51
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

I missed the later postings! Amazing trip you had there.

Just a question to you all,

How is the island experience at Poovar? I was trying to compare to Kumarakom. The one main difference I could think off is that Poovar is an island. That means exploring the island should be one amazing activity. Any feedbacks on that?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 06:47   #52
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,805
Thanked: 7,799 Times
Default

The Padmanabhapuram Palace is indeed in a sorry state of affair. Though its "taken care" by ASI - the place cries out loud of neglect.

The most important attraction the lamp "Anayavilakku" cannot be viewed now as they claim the stairs are old and cannot enter the top.

Hopefully the palace is not let to dilapidate and gets the due soon.

Yesterday - I was there at the palace , and I must admit I had seen it in its glory atleast 20 years ago.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 07:59   #53
BHPian
 
Bigzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 352
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Wow, looks like you had a great time! terrific pictures!

Its been a long long time since I have been to any place south of Kochi - Need to do it next time!
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 08:15   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I missed the later postings! Amazing trip you had there.

Just a question to you all,

How is the island experience at Poovar? I was trying to compare to Kumarakom. The one main difference I could think off is that Poovar is an island. That means exploring the island should be one amazing activity. Any feedbacks on that?
Try out the kuruva island close to sultan batheri, it is a beautiful island with numerous water ways connecting smaller parts of the island and and the virgin forests, remoteness of the place add to its charm and a fantastic place to visit for a day trip.
sumeet007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 08:25   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default

Great pics, v&v. Missed the travelogue earlier because of internet connection issues on the move. Read the whole travelogue at one go. You're back in Delhi already?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:16   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Note : En route from KK there is a ancient hanuman temple name Suchindaram which is around 13 kms. We could not have dharshan as it was closed when we crossed around 2.30 pm. it opens at 4 pm in the evening.
Also there is a water all too near the palace. Didnt remember the name.

The deity at Suchindram is not Hanuman, though there is a huge statue of Hanuman. Its the Trimurti - Siva, Vishnu and Brahma. One of the very few temples in the country which has all the three gods!

The water fall is Tripparappu - a nice place, if you do not have too much expectations. Also it may get crowded, with people coming with soap and shampoo and taking a bath there

Sad to note that Padmanabhapuram palace is not being maintained properly. A lovely palace, not as ostentatious as other palaces in the country, but having intelligent architecture and also being aesthetically very good.

Thanks for the sunrise pictures of Kanyakumari - that remains an unfulfilled dream, though I spent a better part of my life - 25 years - in Kanyakumari district itself

Lovely travelogue and a personal favourite for me for the above reason
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 18:49   #57
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I missed the later postings! Amazing trip you had there.

Just a question to you all,

How is the island experience at Poovar? I was trying to compare to Kumarakom. The one main difference I could think off is that Poovar is an island. That means exploring the island should be one amazing activity. Any feedbacks on that?
Thanks ampere. I can tell you about poovar, as i have not yet visited kumarakom. Poovar is a good place for 3 to 4 nights vacation. Lots to explore around the island plus the Vallam cruse is awesome. I think the max % of tourist are foreigners, they might more interested in Ayurvedic Village.



Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The Padmanabhapuram Palace is indeed in a sorry state of affair. Though its "taken care" by ASI - the place cries out loud of neglect.

The most important attraction the lamp "Anayavilakku" cannot be viewed now as they claim the stairs are old and cannot enter the top.

Hopefully the palace is not let to dilapidate and gets the due soon.

Yesterday - I was there at the palace , and I must admit I had seen it in its glory atleast 20 years ago.
Yes, but i think some maintenance work was in progress when we went there. But yes lot can be done to keep it spic and span.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Wow, looks like you had a great time! terrific pictures!

Its been a long long time since I have been to any place south of Kochi - Need to do it next time!
Yes bigzero, it was a nice trip. Lots to see in kerala. We have started our mission with this first season.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
Try out the kuruva island close to sultan batheri, it is a beautiful island with numerous water ways connecting smaller parts of the island and and the virgin forests, remoteness of the place add to its charm and a fantastic place to visit for a day trip.
Yap sumeet007, already in my radar. would like to do this with my wayanad trip. my brother who is in manglore too was refering about it. Sultan batheri itself is an historic place.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Great pics, v&v. Missed the travelogue earlier because of internet connection issues on the move. Read the whole travelogue at one go. You're back in Delhi already?
Thanks doc. No, reaching this weekend. i had been tracking your trip too. Hope all are enjoying the trip to the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The deity at Suchindram is not Hanuman, though there is a huge statue of Hanuman. Its the Trimurti - Siva, Vishnu and Brahma. One of the very few temples in the country which has all the three gods!

The water fall is Tripparappu - a nice place, if you do not have too much expectations. Also it may get crowded, with people coming with soap and shampoo and taking a bath there

Sad to note that Padmanabhapuram palace is not being maintained properly. A lovely palace, not as ostentatious as other palaces in the country, but having intelligent architecture and also being aesthetically very good.

Thanks for the sunrise pictures of Kanyakumari - that remains an unfulfilled dream, though I spent a better part of my life - 25 years - in Kanyakumari district itself

Lovely travelogue and a personal favourite for me for the above reason
Thanks mallumowgli for updating the info, didnt knew about it and we just prayed from outside as it was closed and everybody at KK speaks about hanuman statue when you ask about Suchindram temple.

As for the water fall , is it on the same route of palace or any other diversion, also how far is it from the palace ?
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 14:06   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
As for the water fall , is it on the same route of palace or any other diversion, also how far is it from the palace ?
I remember it as the same route as the palace - should be around 10 kms from the palace. I'd been there long back, when I was in school - so dont remember the route exactly. But if you are coming from Trivandrum, i think there is a diversion at Marthandam itself. Need not reach Thuckalay
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 16:34   #59
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Suchindram has an 18 ft hanuman statue. Suchindram is more famous for the fact that it is a temple for the holy trinity (Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma). Very few places in India has temples for Brahma and even fewer has the holy trinity. So essentially, it's a temple of the holy trinity and not of Hanuman. The temple's name is Thanumalayan temple and the name stands for the holy trinity.
Thanu - Brahma
Mal - Vishnu
Ayan - Shiva
Apart from the huge Hanuman, the temple also houses the female Ganesha (vigneshwari) and geetopadesha statue.
There are claims that this is the only temple in India where the holy trinity are housed and worshipped. But Triambak has a shiva ling which houses the holy trinity in linga form.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:15   #60
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I remember it as the same route as the palace - should be around 10 kms from the palace. I'd been there long back, when I was in school - so dont remember the route exactly. But if you are coming from Trivandrum, i think there is a diversion at Marthandam itself. Need not reach Thuckalay
We went to palace from Kanyakumari, hence we took right from Thuckalay. While coming from Tvm we the sign board for palace, i think the place was Marthandam.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovering India : 8407 Kms | 15 Days | 15 States | 2 Wheels | 1 Bike | 1 Soul preetam_KORG Travelogues 151 22nd August 2015 17:06
Discovering Gujarat - Land of the Legends. (Saurastra) - 1 - 8th Oct 2011 - 3500kms v&v Travelogues 57 16th November 2011 09:19
Discovering Gujarat : Help required for route and accommodation. v&v Route / Travel Queries 19 9th October 2011 08:54
Hills,Thrills/Leach,Beach and Discovering godesses of Arts & learning-Wow a great Hol PAVAN KADAM Travelogues 15 19th October 2008 21:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks