Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th June 2010, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am not sure if this leads to the Zoo. I had gone though the city when i visited the mysore Zoo, since there are better directions to get there.
Yes, this is the road that leads to the Zoo and IMO this is the easiest route to reach the Mysore Zoo. I always manage to get lost inside Mysore
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I expected cooler climate as we climbed higher, but that was not to be. We reached Ooty around 10:30AM, which also included a few stops along the way.
Its much better here now. The Nilgiris climate is very unpredictable. It was shining in the afternoon. All misty now. Nice pictures.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Good writeup Ben. ooty is a lovely place. How are the night temperatures? Was it chilling? Where did you stay in Ooty? Did you get a chance to hop on the train?
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 18:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Looking forward for more pics
I was also in ooty on 5th, 6th & 7th..
Thats a co-incidence! I was in Mudumalai and Ooty as well on the 5th and 6th! Spent the night at Vikram Mathias' resort (Jungle Huts) at Mudumalai (great place). Went up the lovely 36 hairpin bends for Ooty on Sunday morning and left for Bangalore on Sunday evening.
Who knows, we might have passed one another. Any of you guys spotted a blue Grande Punto with T-bhp stickers?!
PhrozenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 18:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, that's nice! Where were you put up?
We were in Ooty on Saturday, and left to Coonor on Sunday. Started back to Bangalore on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the comments, ET. Will continue with the rest in the evening.
I was in Meadows Residency, Ooty on all three days.

Day 1 - I had been to Botanical garden, Rose Garden, Avalanchi and Finally Ooty Lake
Day 2 - Coonoor & Dodda Betta
Day 3 - Glen Morgan, Pykara and started to bangalore around 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Thats a co-incidence! I was in Mudumalai and Ooty as well on the 5th and 6th! Spent the night at Vikram Mathias' resort (Jungle Huts) at Mudumalai (great place). Went up the lovely 36 hairpin bends for Ooty on Sunday morning and left for Bangalore on Sunday evening.
Who knows, we might have passed one another. Any of you guys spotted a blue Grande Punto with T-bhp stickers?!
Glad to know that many t-bhpians were in ooty. I didn't spot any car with t-bhp stickers.. Did anyone spot a Santro with T-bhp Stickers ?
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 22:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes, this is the road that leads to the Zoo and IMO this is the easiest route to reach the Mysore Zoo. I always manage to get lost inside Mysore
The major tourist attractions in Mysore, and the signs are well-laid out, so i usually manage to find my way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Its much better here now. The Nilgiris climate is very unpredictable. It was shining in the afternoon. All misty now. Nice pictures.
Beejay, my trip was planned at really short notice, else i did remember that you were around the place, and would have PMed before coming. Would be a nice opportunity to meet up with the Xylo man.

About the climate, i got to realize the same. It was hot in the morning, and calm in the afternoon. Evening there was a heavy downpour, and from then it was really cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Good writeup Ben. ooty is a lovely place. How are the night temperatures? Was it chilling? Where did you stay in Ooty? Did you get a chance to hop on the train?
Fordy, i managed to get a room at Welbeck Residency. Quite decent, with good service.

The evenings got really cold, but it was warm through the day. Coonor was better off, though.

Since ours was a trip undertaken at really short notice, we didnt get to plan for the train ride. That as well as locations such as Pykara, Shooting Point etc, are for another trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
PF, nice to know you were in the vicinity as well!
On Sunday, i was nowhere near the hairpin bends. We started back to Mysore from Ooty on Sunday afternoon, and asked for directions to Mysore. We were directed to the Gudalur road, which we didnt realize and bypassed the hairpins completely on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I was in Meadows Residency, Ooty on all three days.

Day 1 - I had been to Botanical garden, Rose Garden, Avalanchi and Finally Ooty Lake
Day 2 - Coonoor & Dodda Betta
Day 3 - Glen Morgan, Pykara and started to bangalore around 3

Glad to know that many t-bhpians were in ooty. I didn't spot any car with t-bhp stickers.. Did anyone spot a Santro with T-bhp Stickers ?
Where is Glen Morgan, and whats the speciality of the place?

We too were in Coonor on Sunday. We visited Doddabetta on Saturday afternoon. Pykara and the surroundings we passed upon returning, but decided to visit next time. Since it was back to work on Monday, i didn't want to delay our entry to Bangalore by much. After the NFS session in the heavy downpour on Mysore road, we got back home at 10:30PM.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 23:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Default Doddabetta Peak

Situated at 2623 metres above sea level, Doddabetta Peak is located not far from Ooty town. However, the road to the top is narrow in some places, and was a pain to traverse. There were a huge number of vehicles which were making their way both up as well as down the peak. Some of the drivers were considerate to traffic, some were plain selfish. Parking at the top of the peak was a royal pain, with double parking being the norm. However, with most vehicles being cabs, the drivers were present inside the vehicles to move it in case they were blocking.

Name:  IMG_8495.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  350.9 KB

Pardon my ignorance, but isnt Doddabetta more of Kannada than Tamil? Was kinda surprised to see such a name for this peak.

Atop the peak was an observatory, as well as a restaurant and some shops. Crowds were thronging the place and even something as simple as a view from the observatory on top was a chore. We made do with clicking some snaps around, had lunch from the limited menu on offer, and watched the mayhem. We went to the drop point overlooking a cliff and the fear of heights did manage to induce some fears inside of me.

Name:  IMG_8496.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  241.8 KB

Despite being so high above sea level, the temperatures werent really what one would expect. It was quite high, with the ice cream vendors making hay while the sun shone. Even getting an ice cream of a desired flavour was not to be done.

Name:  IMG_8498.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  274.8 KB

We didnt click too many snaps here owing to the crowds, as well as being tired from the heat. W had our lunch at the restaurant atop the peak, and having spent enough time taking in the views from the top, we then decided to make our way back and check out what else was on offer in Ooty.

After all, we had to while away time till our relatives got here.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Default The Tea Museum

Name:  IMG_8462.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  333.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8463.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  347.6 KB

On our way back, we came across the Tea Museum, which was basically a tea factory, which was also made available as a museum. They proclaim their place in history as being the tea factory located at the highest altitude in the whole of South India. Here, there were depictions on the history and origin of tea in India, as well as a seminar on how tea ia made from tea leaves, live before us. A superb business model, in my opinion. I actually liked the idea.

Name:  IMG_8464.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  442.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8465.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  347.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8466.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  336.9 KB

Entry to the museum was priced quite nominally once agai, with the camera also warranting a seperate entry charge. Teh whole process of making tea was first explained by means of a chart with audio help, and then the visitors were released in batches into the plant. The whole process of managing the crowd was nicely done, and the gradual release of visitors ensured there was to be no pushing and shoving once people were inside. There were boards at various junctures which explained the process being performed.

Name:  IMG_8470.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  406.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8471.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  462.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8473.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  392.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8474.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  373.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8475.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  331.7 KB

More in the next post.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures and a nice writeup

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but isnt Doddabetta more of Kannada than Tamil? Was kinda surprised to see such a name for this peak.
yes it is,its more of a Badaga name(of the local Toda tribe of the region)

Quote:
Despite being so high above sea level, the temperatures werent really what one would expect.
daytimes in any hill station would be extremely hot & the evenings and nights would be cold-reason the UV rays are closer to earth at places with high MSL,hence the heat,and hence why it is strongly advised to use sunblock creams when travelling to hill stations,high chances of getting sunburnt.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 19:40   #25
BHPian

How come no pic of the car yet?!! Write on. I've not been to Coonoor, maybe you will help me decide.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 19:40   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Excellent pictures and a nice writeup

yes it is,its more of a Badaga name(of the local Toda tribe of the region)
Thanks for the nice words, and the clarifications, Ranjit.

Meanwhile, here are the remaining pics from the tea museum. Pics werent uploading in the morning.
-----------------------------

Name:  IMG_8477.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  426.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8478.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  410.6 KB

As we made our way to the end of the process, enriched in the process, we were treated to a cup of tea which really tasted good. Needless to say, immediately after this there were counters where tea was being sold in packets. We bought a packet of masala tea powder to take back home. Other flavors of tea on offer included chocolate tea which i personally disliked, as well as cardamom tea.

Name:  IMG_8482.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  303.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8485.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  415.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8486.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  384.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8491.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  382.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8492.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  418.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8494.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  416.0 KB

As we made our way out of the museum limits, i came across a colleague of mine who had come with family in a hired Tavera. Looks like Bangalore folks do engage in travel at the drop of a hat.

Since our relatives had reached Ooty by then, we headed out to meet them. Caught up with the whole lot of them, and all of us made our way to the Boathouse to check out the place.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th June 2010 at 19:44.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi benbsb29,

First two pics in the beginning of the post are really awesome!!! I was in Conoor and Ooty last year this time on official visit .

Nice to see how the famous Nilgiris tea is made. I had picked up few kgs last year. This tea is awesome for people who love green tea. I also did not like the flavoured ones. I also picked up (I mean my wife) some Shahjeera, Cardamom, coffee beans etc. Most importantly, we picked up Eucalyptus oil which is very good remedy for colds and sinuses.

I had driven a friends car from Coimbatore airport. The route to Mysore if from other side. Could have posted few pics but dont want to hijack your thread.

Looking forward for the nest part and pics
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 20:50   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
How come no pic of the car yet?!! Write on. I've not been to Coonoor, maybe you will help me decide.
Well, here are some for you, Unni.
Coonor was on Day 2 of the trip. We're still on the Day 1 proceedings, currently.

Name:  Copy of IMG_8591.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  362.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8555.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  391.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi benbsb29,

First two pics in the beginning of the post are really awesome!!! I was in Conoor and Ooty last year this time on official visit .

Nice to see how the famous Nilgiris tea is made. I had picked up few kgs last year. This tea is awesome for people who love green tea. I also did not like the flavoured ones. I also picked up (I mean my wife) some Shahjeera, Cardamom, coffee beans etc. Most importantly, we picked up Eucalyptus oil which is very good remedy for colds and sinuses.

I had driven a friends car from Coimbatore airport. The route to Mysore if from other side. Could have posted few pics but dont want to hijack your thread.

Looking forward for the nest part and pics
Thanks a lot, TaureanBull !
I didn't have the guts to buy chocolate flavoured tea, since i knew it wouldnt be to my taste and liking. However, not to be left out, i did buy a cup of it and tasted it. Needless to say, i didn't like it.

Wifey also bought some eucalyptus oil on the way back. I've used it as well as a child, and always liked the smell.

As for posting pics from your side, you're quite welcome to do so. After all, it would certainly be of use to anyone who visits or refers this thread in future. Please go ahead, and post em!
Old 10th June 2010, 21:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

Default Ooty Boathouse

We made our way to the boathouse, and were stunned by the huge crowd of tourists at the place. I generally detest huge crowds and decided i wasnt really into the boating stuff either, and soon realized many others too felt the same way. While some ventured for some boating, i along with some of the others decided to go for a horse ride. This was the first time i was doing this, and the whole experience was unnerving. Sitting atop the horse, it felt like a boat on rough waters, with me feeling like i would fall off any second. Thankfully, the experience didnt last too long, and i was back on my two feet on trusted ground.

Name:  IMG_8504.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  332.2 KB

Half the lot then decided to go on the mini train ride, which was beside the boathouse, complete with a railway station as well. With the rain gods playing a visit, it was pouring cats and dogs. More than anything else the whole experience in the little train was fun, with all of us screaming our heart out when the train went through a mini tunnel, and so on. Small pleasures, as they say.

We then bid adieu to the rest of the troupe, and made our way to the town limits to try our luck in finding a place to stay for the night. Checked out some hotels around the Woodrich school.

Considering how hot it had been during the day, i was inclined to book a room with air-conditioning. I made my way to the guy at the counter of one such hotel, and asked for an A/C room. His lower jaw almost hit the floor, and before i could help him set that back, he recovered, and informed that there is not a single hotel in the whole of Ooty which coujld provide me a room with an A/C or fan. I thought he was out of his mind, and vice-versa, and so i decided to check out some other hotels as well in the vicinity. We finally decided on Welbeck Residency which was quite decent, and which also confirmed to me that fans and A/C were definitely not part of rooms in Ooty.

Name:  IMG_8618.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  291.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8614.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  365.3 KB

This was parked outside the hotel. Part of the ambience

Name:  IMG_8606.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  374.7 KB

Although we were initially informed only the Super Deluxe rooms was available, after some prodding were given a Deluxe room, which at 1800 plus taxes was quite decent. Breakfast too was complimentary in the package. The best part was that they had covered car parking, which also was monitored by a surveillance camera, as i discovered later.

Name:  IMG_8526.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  224.6 KB

By evening, it was still raining, and we decided to just chill at the Barista outlet in front of the hotel. We sure did chill, since the temperatures had fallen quite a bit by then, and it was now time to get out the woolens which we had brought along. We made our way back to the hotel, ordered for dinner and then tucked ourselves away for the night. It really had been a long day.

Tomorrow, we explore Coonor.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Where is Glen Morgan, and whats the speciality of the place?

We too were in Coonor on Sunday. We visited Doddabetta on Saturday afternoon. Pykara and the surroundings we passed upon returning, but decided to visit next time. Since it was back to work on Monday, i didn't want to delay our entry to Bangalore by much. After the NFS session in the heavy downpour on Mysore road, we got back home at 10:30PM.

Glenmorgan is on the way towards Pykara. Very Scenic Drive. Loved every second of driving there.. though we didn't go there we just drove around 6-7kms and came back to head towards bangalore.

About Glenmorgan
Quote:
At 25 km North west of Ooty is situated Glenmorgan which was then very famous for the Tea estate. The Glenmorgan tea estate is one of the oldest estate of the place and it was there even before the Pykara Hydro Electricity scheme was taken up for execution. The beautiful lake at the foot of this estate constitutes the fore bay for the Pykara power house which is above 3 km down the hill at Singara. The Pykara power plant is the highest plant so far installed in the whole of Asia and is situated at a height of 938.78 meters. There is a haulage way (Mechanical Rope Way) leading to the power house and it takes nearly one hour to go by the trolley from the Glenmorgan head works to the power house at Singara.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th June 2010 at 14:45.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote