Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th June 2010, 17:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
half way through, i notices some sounds coming from underneath, like something is breaking... Ok, nothing much to do, so just continued.
That was hillarious. That bridge sure is scary man.

Quote:
While I was clicking the snaps, saw a local joker crossing the bridge. I was lucky that he didn't just follow me while I was on the bridge.
Why joker. He must be a localite who knows how much the bridge can take. You should have stopped and asked for more on that connector.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 17:59   #32
BHPian

Sorry to hijack this thread, I am not sure if this is the same bridge. We were on a trip from our company and stayed in a resort in Munnar (around 6 to 10 kms before Munnar) We had taken a Jeep ride arranged by the resort, where the Jeeps went over this bridge in picture. It then crossed a shallow stream and was back on the road. This was a scary experience too, the bridge as well as the whole ride through the wild.

Few pics of the bridge and the resort where we stayed.
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1572
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  102.9 KB
Thats me and a colleague of mine while on the bridge. The Jeep was fully loaded, with ladies and kids.

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 789
Size:  92.6 KB
The only affordable resort with a Swimming Pool in Munnar that I know of.

Edit: This is another brdoge, on second look. The bridge in the OP is ahanging one, this one is not. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 9th June 2010 at 18:01.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot manoj and hvk. the scary bridge is very beautiful. will try this route the next time.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 20:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is not the Rajakkad-Adimali road? There is an alternative road too? How much distance from Rajakkad to Adimali and what are the coordiantes?

If you had been to Rajakkad earlier to 1995, you must have come through the Chithirapuram - Kunjithanni route from Adimali. This is around 25 Kms.

Now, there are two routes between Rajakkad and Adimali.

The new route through Ponmudi improved only after 1995. After that only buses started going through that. This route is shorter and is in very good shape. It is 20Kms from Rajakkad to Adimali. Easily doable in 30 mins.

This bridge Manoj has taken is a small detour just before the Ponmudi dam in this route.

And from Pooppara, when you enter the town, left goes to Thekkadi/Nedumkandom, Right goes to Munnar/Rajakkad. After taking right and crossing the bridge, road splits again. Straight goes to Munnar and Left goes to Rajakkad.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 20:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

The bridge is a beautifull one, I hope they would restore it as soon as they can. It would be a shame if the bridge breaks under the weight of a vehicle, which I am sure will do if not restored.

Today a safari crossed the bridge successfully tomorrow it will give a few truckies the confidence to cross the bridge and so on till the bridge decides to break under the weight.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 20:59   #36
BHPian

Default more photos of the bridge

Trying to help as this is my normal route to home in kerala. But, never took my WagonR on this bridge, even after multiple trips there.

I was surprised to see the SMS Manoj that sent me after crossing the bridge - It read: "Yes, I made it. Half was through the bridge, I was thinking about the news in paper - if the bridge collapses"

Also have posted some travelogues with more photos near this bridge.

More photos of this bridge
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1510639 (Bangalore to parts of Idukki and Wagamon in Kerala)

Below this bridge
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1873268 (Summer drives through Ghats - Kerala)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
So manoj any idea about the history of that bridge,looks easily a few decades old.
This was constructed more than 35 years ago. For a good number of years after that, this was the primary option for people to cross this waterbody. later they started allowing vehicles on top of this bridge and traffic shifted there. This bridge remained ignored.

Two years ago, they have opened one more route with a bridge below this hanging bridge. So, this bridge is being used only by very few and those who end up here accidentally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
The bridge was built to transport the construction materials during the construction of the Ponmudi dam.
This was the major reason for this bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
Yes you are correct, after crossing the small narrow bridge at poopara, right goes to munnar and left goes to Rajakkad.
Straight goes to Munnar and Left to Rajakkad
Old 9th June 2010, 21:08   #37
BHPian

Man....You sure have the nerve to drive on that!! It looks scary....
Wanderer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 21:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
later they started allowing vehicles on top of this bridge and traffic shifted there.
Small correction - please read it as: later they started allowing vehicles on top of the DAM and traffic shifted there.
Old 9th June 2010, 23:52   #39
BHPian

Default Video - driving on hanging bridge

Manoj - I'm adding one of the old videos that I have.

Folks - listen to the creeky noice while the scoda is passing through the bridge. You can also observe some movement of the wooden planks there.

Sorry for the low quality of video/audio.

Last edited by bijuks : 10th June 2010 at 00:00.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:31   #40
BHPian

Default Thanks Biju

Biju, thanks for the clarifications man!!

I remember you suggesting me to visit this place while we went together to Kerala last time.... Now I know what i missed then...
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

While this bridge is surely dangerous, atleast there is a bridge to drive across.

What about those that cross bridges that don't exist ? Happened in Chennai 2-3 weeks back when a Scorpio guy sped up a flyover which was not completed (the centre portion connecting both sides was not in place) and landed on the railway track 50-feet below. He was seriously injured and the Scorp looked like a write-off. But he was doubly lucky that neither did he land on a train nor on the power cable.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 20:39   #42

I must say that you have the nerve to take your safari on that bridge. I would have returned from there
elendil is offline   Reply With Quote