Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th June 2010, 05:56   #31
Team-BHP Support

Very nice !

As Ranjit mentioned, you should change over to the Tubeless.
Helps a lot for such drives.

Once I actually drove all the way from Mysore to Bangalore without even knowing that there was a puncture in the tyre.
Did not even know, when it came on! Only by inspection I could find.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2010 at 06:00.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 14:35   #32
BHPian

Thumbs up

I have a 2.3 yrs old son and we have done 4-5 trips with him in the last 2yrs.
My experience has been similar !

I was very doubtfull about my kid using the car seat. Instead had used the baby-carrier. The advantage was that the baby was close to the mother.
Tried all the tricks like asking mother-baby to sit on rear seats and at the same time using the seat belts

Also found that parents are very reluctant to use seat-belts. Atleast the wagon-r seat belts
are litter harder on the neck-chest part. Maybe thats why they dont want to strap up.
Every time, I have to be very strict for that reason :(
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 19:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Paragsachania: Beautiful travelogue. I wanted to pick some old one & read it through. Dumped couple of them before I stuck with yours. I really enjoyed reading every lines of this.

=

Even my kids simply refuse to sit in the baby's seat. As suggested by MX6, one should practice slowly for shorter local trips as its easier for kids to pick it up. I tried twice, but kids simply not willing to budge. Could very well relate the consequences in case of an accident, any better alternatives?

How about 4-5 yrs old kids?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 21:08   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Surprise. If your 4 - 5 year old kid is big enough, you may just think of getting a booster seat for him/ her. What does your kid weigh?

My daughter has outgrown her car seat. So this kaas trip would be her last in the old car seat. The next one will be in the next level of car seat. I plan to take her to the shop to let her chose her own so that she loves sitting in it.

Also try putting your kid when asleep in the seat.

When my kid goes in to the car seat, my wife sits behind. I have no other option than to become a chauffer. But it's worth my daughter's life.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 19:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

@MX6 - My kid is around 14 kgs. I have a baby seat like the one attached here. Google search on "Booster seats" results throws pictures similar to baby seats. As suggested by you, need to try out fitting them into the baby seats during local drives so that they get accustomed to it.

Planning for a long drive probably next month. At least I need to manage to put my elder kid (4 yrs old) onto the baby seat & let my wife handle younger kid (1.5 yrs)
Attached Images

Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 21:18   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Now let me assume that your younger kid weighs 14 kilos. Guess your 4 year old can sit on the booster seat. Booster seats are the one's which has only the base and not the back rest.

Here's a pic of the booster car seat.
Name:  boostercarseat.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  28.2 KB

The car's car seat goes around your 4 year old in to the slots provided in the booster car seat on to the buckle or the mating part (as in Mech eng terms).

The one in pic should be available for under 1500 bucks. Advantage of getting that for your 4 year old is that while he sits in the booster seat, your younger one can go on to the car seat.

Sorry for all the OT.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 21:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

my little ones (4, and 2) know where their seats are, and jump to their seats as soon as I open the door. we initially had some problems with the elder one when he liked to get close to mommy every few mins. the younger one has learnt after watching his brother I guess.

with the booster seat, also look for a small strap with a loop that keeps the shoulder point much lower for the kids. My elder son misses his seat because he could doze off in that. in booster seat he keeps falling off. He insisted we keep his seat in the van because he likes to sleep.

last photo in this link shows how. It comes attached to the booster seat itself, or you can fabricate one.
Booster Seats - NZ Child Restraints

edit, couldn't resist.

2000 Kms with our little one(Bangalore-Pune-Bangalore)-05152010374_1.jpg

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 21st September 2010 at 21:49.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote