Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th June 2010, 20:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...

So, here I am after a long silence. Yes, was out for an official visit to Europe and had good weekends over there. Ha, before you pour your comments, I would like to highlight a disclaimer here.

Disclaimer: These were the trips which was made on weekends only, planned accordingly so that, it do NOT affect the regular official work.

Although I have driven in foreign lands, this was the first in my life I did a drive across the countries crossing the international borders. And it was really a wonderful experience driving on those beautiful valleys.

Here is the compilation of those trips, drives, experience and of-course the PICS.

To begin with, in line with the unwritten rule of T-BHP's Travelogues, I put some you know what .

No, not those Chennai Central Station.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-campbelltower1.jpg

Park in Venizia
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-venciepark.jpg

View of the Cambell from San-Marco
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-viewfromsanmarco.jpg

Typical Venizia windows
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-windowflowers.jpg

Last edited by mjothi : 14th June 2010 at 20:37.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 20:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mahesh

Nice photographs, It appears you have not only upgraded your camera, but also the skills. look forward to details.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 20:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned in my first post, this log is going to talk about the experience and not about the details of the roads, directions etc.

So, if you wanna know interesting place to visit in Venice or historical importance of places or directions to move around, then sorry, this is not the one for you. You better click here http://maps.google.com

Even though this was my 4th visit in this year to Milan, I was not able to plan a trip to Venice so far. So, I stopped planing and surprisingly it happened during this trip.

This was an unplanned, undecided travel with only one thing in mind.

I want to visit Venice. Period.

And since I was staying in a Hotel which was on a only business area, the location was literally closed down on weekends. No public transports or Taxis on those days. Even if you manage to get one, it would be all on the higher side of 50Euros for just a 5 min travel.

I had my car, but was always afraid to park it on the station overnight. So this was one of the main reason for me not able to do those long distance train travels to Rome, Pisa etc.

This time, I decided to just take the first train possible from Milan and any trains leaving Venice in the late evening. So, did not book any tickets, just noted down the timings and started for the trip.

I did not even bother to print or take map of the land. Sorry, a land of water on all sides.

If you want to explore the beauty of the Venice city, then just choose to walk around. Beleive me, its the best way to enjoy it.

And of course, be ready to get lost in the crowds on those crowded streets.

I woke up at 5am to make sure I can reach the station earliest and take the first train from Milan, which is around 6:30am. Got myself ready and was out of hotel on my car to Gobba at 5:30am. I reach Gobba metro station for parking my car and see that its closed. What the heck?

It was just then I notice that it opens only by 6am. So, had to wait for 15min there and finally parked the car. Then took a metro pass for the day and headed to Milan. Luckily, got the train within 5 min and reached Milan station at 6:20am. All well so far.

Even though I had the Euro Star bound for Venizia waiting to start at 6:35am, I could not buy any ticket. Hell with those automatic ticket vending machine. All the machine was saying only this...

"Attention: System is restarting. Please wait..."

And the time keep ticking, and me was worried if I could catch the train or not. It was 6:30 and still the system was restarting. I was wondering if that system could be running some Windows server on a 90's system. So slow to come up. Me seeing the train and seeing the system.

And finally, the train was faster to start than this stupid vending machine. yes, the euro star said a good bye to me and started its journey towards the land of water, without me

Last edited by mjothi : 14th June 2010 at 20:58.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Mahesh

Nice photographs, It appears you have not only upgraded your camera, but also the skills. look forward to details.
Thanks Sir. But I haven't upgraded my camera yet. Its the same Canon IXY. Probably, due to good sunlight. May be.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Never knew there were parks of this size in Venice!

Did you stay overnight at Venice - I did not, preferring to arrive one summer afternoon from Rome and departing late night for Luzerne, spending 8 hours exploring the town.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Never knew there were parks of this size in Venice!

Did you stay overnight at Venice - I did not, preferring to arrive one summer afternoon from Rome and departing late night for Luzerne, spending 8 hours exploring the town.
I personally, don't think there is much fun in staying in Venice for the night. Especially when you think about the cost. And I can understand. Because, there are no land for even the inmates for themselves. So, where is the place for tourists? Ofcourse, its all available at a premium.

Also, the train system are excellent and you can plan your trips in such a way that the nights can be utilized for travel.

I was wondering how the kids there even get a place to play. The only larger piece of land they get to play are those places called the Square. Poor moms, have to very careful with the kids. Since almost most houses are surrounded by water.
Old 15th June 2010, 07:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh, am hooked. Bring it on!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 08:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

By the time the ticketing system was ready to be used, it was 6:45am and Euro star would have already reached Lambrate station.

The next train was at 7:25am and a normal train. Which means, I save 50% of euro but loose extra one hour. That's fine. So, I decide to take the ticket. Now comes the worst part. Even though you select the language as English in the beginning of the transaction, that shows English names only for the list of stations.

Then comes the payment screen and its all in Italiano. Somehow manage to select the credit card. But credit card had many options like Nationale, and some others. With 2 to 3 attempts finally got the ticket being vomited by the machine. Good.

Since I had about an hour, started to roam around the station. The station itself looked like an historical building. Very nice to pass time.

Some pictures from the station.
Main entrance to the Station.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1460.jpg
Parking bay for the Giant BHPs
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1462.jpg
Train, ready to leave by 7:25am
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-milanocentrale.jpg

The train did left on dot at 7:25am. No signal, no alarm, no honk or any signs of starting. It just took off. I compare this with our trains - a big horn for several times announcing it is going to move. And after many attempts, it finally starts. Right?

Had a wonderful company in front of me in the train. So you know how the 3+ hours went just like that.
Entering into Venice.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1468.jpg
This reminded me of the Rameswaram trip. Cars, buses running parallel to the Train track connecting the main land and Venice over the sea.

I get down in Venice, come out of the station and here I am, shouting with joy looking at this.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1470.jpg
This is what you first view when you reach Venice by Train. So a customary picture to show all that I have reached Venice.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-frontofstation3.jpg
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-frontofstation5.jpg

All I know in Venice is, San Marco which is on the other side. So, I wanted to just stroll through the streets. It was tough than I thought. With no maps and no idea of direction, I was just going through each street which ever came in front. With every 2 or 3 minutes of walk, you would either come to the bridge to cross water, or a dead end where the canal is flowing through.
So, enjoy the pictures taken all around.

Watch carefully the Clock dials.

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1484.jpg
Masks, Masks and Masks

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1476.jpg
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1472.jpg
The Famous luxury travel in Venice - Gondala

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1475.jpg
Gondala with local water taxi

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1473.jpg
River running inside the city

Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1483.jpg
Well "Painted" buildings.
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-img_1477.jpg
Old 15th June 2010, 11:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not see any of Grenoble here. A city I love having made multiple trips to the ILL there.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

nice pics!!!

bring some more and fast.
the masks are beautiful!!
are those masks for sell?
whats the purpose of those masks? any idea.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not see any of Grenoble here. A city I love having made multiple trips to the ILL there.
Yes. Not yet reached there. We are still on the VIAs.

Will move on fast. Wait.
Old 15th June 2010, 13:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures of Venice.

Cookiessss
Name:  Cookies.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  159.8 KB
Pastries...
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-patueries.jpg
Dollar, dabbu, duttu,
Name:  Forex_venie.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  134.3 KB
Hotel MonteCarlo - look at the street Size!!
Name:  HotelMontecarlo.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  115.1 KB
Small Square in town
Name:  IMG_1509.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  114.6 KB
Flying Lion. Ya, on the Top.
Name:  LeowithLion.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  124.7 KB
Whats Venice without bridge?
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-mjonbridge2.jpg
One more Bridge...
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-mjonbridge.jpg

The Rialto bridge is one famous icon of Venice. It is as old bridge, with always crowded by tourists. Getting a slot for taking your pictures on the top of this, will be a challenge.

On top of the Famous bridge - Rialto
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rialtobridgemahesh.jpg
In front of those Rialto bridge
Bangalore to Grenoble, Via Milano & Venizia - Le Moucherotte conquered...-rialtobridgeviewmahesh.jpg
Narrow streets.
Name:  VeniceStreets1.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  131.0 KB

I see some tourists finding it difficult to roll o n their suitcase in those crowds on these streets.

The football ground for the kids.
Name:  VeniceStreetsfootball.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  126.4 KB

Do you see me on closeup in most pictures? Yes, that's what happens when you travel all alone. Wish had an stretchable hands
Old 15th June 2010, 13:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Whats Venice without bridge?
Attachment 366979

Wish had an stretchable hands
it seems that you have stretchable legs rather than hands in seventh pic of the above post.

whats that bottle beside your legs?

EDIT:
@n-aditya,
are you back to namma bengaluru? switched to ninja from esteem?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 15th June 2010 at 13:58.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 13:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Grenoble and Milan in 2006 on a business trip and it was awesome. Loved Grenoble with the scenic mountains and quiet life compared to the hustle and bustle of Paris and other French cities.

This thread brings sweet memories back and i hope you had a wonderful time.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 14:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
whats that bottle beside your legs?
Where all you see man? its a juice bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I had been to Grenoble and Milan in 2006 on a business trip and it was awesome. Loved Grenoble with the scenic mountains and quiet life compared to the hustle and bustle of Paris and other French cities.

This thread brings sweet memories back and i hope you had a wonderful time.
Guess it depends on the place you stay. I usually stay around the Europole region, near the gare and always go and when look out for parking a car.

In general yes, its quite when you compare with Paris. This city is full of scholars, management students and research guys. You have many universities and research centers on Atomic energy I guess. They also have a cyclotron factory very next to the ST company.