Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 02:30   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
faithless_1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Great Travelogue.!

The pics are absolutely breathtaking.!
This region is at the top of my must visit list.


Someday.

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 29th June 2010 at 02:32.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:18   #197
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAN_SACHDEV View Post
As always tanveer , A very nice travelogue
Beautiful pics, specially tso kyon, this place is really out of the world.
hopefully next year I will try tso kyon .
You have a 4x4 safari. It is the vehicle to explore. Make sure you also go to Chumur, and then come back via Ungti La to Tso Moriri. Its a jeepable track, and has not traffic. Just wildlife and amazing landscapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkal View Post
Tanveer, are you sure this is the end of your journey or just another tease before you get started again?

Anyways this was Great! Although a lot of office hours went down reading and discussing and planning and dreaming!
No more leaves for me till august. I am grounded till then!
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
The pics are absolutely breathtaking.!
This region is at the top of my must visit list.


Someday.
Thanks! You do need to go there to see it. And make sure you change those low profile tires on your ride to something more pedestrian
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:03   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Tanveer, this is an exceptional Travelogue with awesome pics & superb locales - you have really outdone yourself this time. The benchmarks have been raised & will be difficult for people to emulate

You can now truly say that you've gone where no one else on the forum has trodden - Congratulations & Three Cheers for the White Elephant!!! IMHO, it has definitely given you many thrills & as much of Joy as you may have wished for. And, I'm sure there are many more such trips to come. Paisa vasool.........

Last edited by suman : 29th June 2010 at 12:07.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 13:10   #199
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

Thanks Suman! Yup, we have been where nobody from the forum has treaded before. Hopefully, on our future trips we will tread more such offbeaten tracks. The real beauty of ladakh lies in these tracks and the wilderness!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 14:08   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default

Very nice travelouge and I must say, one look at those pics and one is mesmerised by the terrain. You rock. Cant wait to take Hariya there...
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 17:51   #201
BHPian
 
ajay2233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ajay, a lot of bikers do make this trip! Infact, ladakh is a favorite destination among bikers.
Where cars can't go, bikes go!
Only problem is fuel. So if you carry 10 liters and have 20 liters in tank, I guess you have a good 1000kms range!
I guess my bike's tank can hold 10 liters and I can store 20 liters on both sides of the carrier with jerry cans. I am getting my bike back to shape , hope my 'Forever Bike' should be in great shape next June when am planning to do the trip.

Think I would have to do loads of research and will need some help in making the plan , trust you can help.

I have gone through the travelogue twice. Its simply superb.
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 00:18   #202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 32
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Tanveer,

I went through your travelogue in just one stretch. I have just one word to say. Its amazing and to be frank, from your pictures and narration I felt as if I did this trip. Hats off to you and to your wife.
vasanthjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 03:42   #203
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 744 Times
Default

Great photos and I know the photos can not catch the magnitude and grandeur that the human eye and mind has trouble taking in. Would you attempt the loop after Leh without GPS?
Did you also have paper maps along with you? Is there any such thing as a "reliable" guide(s) for hire up there?

I may be on my way there or Lahaul/Spiti in August
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 11:14   #204
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Very nice travelouge and I must say, one look at those pics and one is mesmerised by the terrain. You rock. Cant wait to take Hariya there...
Thanks.. but who is hariya?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
I guess my bike's tank can hold 10 liters and I can store 20 liters on both sides of the carrier with jerry cans. I am getting my bike back to shape , hope my 'Forever Bike' should be in great shape next June when am planning to do the trip.

Think I would have to do loads of research and will need some help in making the plan , trust you can help.

I have gone through the travelogue twice. Its simply superb.
Sure, will be glad to help. Which bike do you own. If its a 100cc bike, expect labored climbs to the high passes
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Tanveer,

I went through your travelogue in just one stretch. I have just one word to say. Its amazing and to be frank, from your pictures and narration I felt as if I did this trip. Hats off to you and to your wife.
Thanks Vasanth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Great photos and I know the photos can not catch the magnitude and grandeur that the human eye and mind has trouble taking in. Would you attempt the loop after Leh without GPS?
Did you also have paper maps along with you? Is there any such thing as a "reliable" guide(s) for hire up there?

I may be on my way there or Lahaul/Spiti in August
Except for Kyun Tso section, GPS not needed for any other section. Intutution, sense of direction, and the fact that there is mostly a single track works.
As for paper maps, you can print out openstreetmap maps. I have mapped all the sections.
For Lahaul Spiti, Lahaul valley till Kunzum is mapped(except for chandertaal). As for Spiti, I saw lot of mapping on OSM, but I have not verified its correctness
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 14:57   #205
BHPian
 
ajay2233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Jawa 250

Tanveer,

Its a 1970 make Jawa Model A 250 cc
I have got a new std. bore and it has undergone a complete overhaul.
painting is pending, can call it a new bike now.

My grand father has once rode it to tsangu lake on Indo Chin border in Sikkim and I would like to make it to Ladakh now.

The urge to go on this trip is getting stronger day by day.
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 16:11   #206
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

You are very brave! A 1970 model Jawa. All the best is all I can say! Make sure your bike is in top notch condition!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:25   #207
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Tanveer,

Its a 1970 make Jawa Model A 250 cc
I have got a new std. bore and it has undergone a complete overhaul.
painting is pending, can call it a new bike now.

My grand father has once rode it to tsangu lake on Indo Chin border in Sikkim and I would like to make it to Ladakh now.

The urge to go on this trip is getting stronger day by day.
Congrats on your epic journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are very brave! A 1970 model Jawa. All the best is all I can say! Make sure your bike is in top notch condition!
For sure his bike has "Got bhp"

People like you are an inspiration to many. I cant stop craving to get to all the places you've shown us on this forum

A wonderful travelogue, as always.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 21:42   #208
BHPian
 
sami316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 468
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Hi Tanveer, was really hooked on to this great travelogue all these days. The pics are just awesome and as you have already heard a million times, the narration is great as well. Always look forward to your travelogue. Rock On!!
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:41   #209
BHPian
 
ajay2233's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Pavan,
Thanks mate..
It sure has got BHP and I will make the epic trip soon.

Tanveer,
Am working on getting it back to the true European it used to be. Guess it should be able to scale new peaks with the new heart that it has got now.
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:51   #210
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congrats on your epic journey


People like you are an inspiration to many. I cant stop craving to get to all the places you've shown us on this forum

A wonderful travelogue, as always.
Thanks Pavan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Tanveer, was really hooked on to this great travelogue all these days. The pics are just awesome and as you have already heard a million times, the narration is great as well. Always look forward to your travelogue. Rock On!!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Pavan,
Thanks mate..
It sure has got BHP and I will make the epic trip soon.

Tanveer,
Am working on getting it back to the true European it used to be. Guess it should be able to scale new peaks with the new heart that it has got now.
Lot of bullet rides get a custom built frame on the sides from manali which allows them to carry jerrycans. With 2 cans of 10L each, you should be good to go!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polo GT TDI Chronicles: Ladakh and beyond! 5543 km, 13 days, 8 states, 2 souls & 1 car! Gannu_1 Travelogues 76 4th May 2016 19:34
Self-Drive Expedition Travel-Ladakh and cold desert Changthang in "off-season" Oct 10 adc Travelogues 232 28th April 2013 12:48
The Ladakh Chronicles - 5 years of soul searching in the Himalayas! amolpol Travelogues 46 11th March 2013 22:41
Reflecting on Driving Addictions - Bangalore to Spiti and Changthang Coooolcat21 Travelogues 236 21st August 2012 15:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks