Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th July 2010, 18:58   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I was about to tell the "same story everywhere", but then you pointed it out clearly. But I hope it isn't as bad as here.
Yes I'm happy to see that; what's that building? Is that the Indian consulate?
Yes, its not as bad as India. Its much better here.

You got that one right. Its Indian Embassy in Egypt.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 19:31   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Graduation from P&S to DSLR!

I was on look out for a DSLR for some time. Mainly inspired by the photographs on BHP (esp of Leh-Ladakh section). I enquired about Canon 1000 but it turned out to be 72k heavily overpriced! Tried to ask someone coming from India to get it for me. But..alas.. no one planning for next 3-4 months at least. I gave up as I did not want to spend 20K extra.

So, as we stroll on the 26th July Street in Zamalek, we come across this camera shop. A little hesitant, I enter inside and I ask do they sell Cameras too. I see all the DSLRs from Cannon and Nikon with high level lenses displayed. I cautiously ask the price of D90 (my first choice). LE 6500/-. Not bad to start with. I look at the package. The lens too is of my choice 18-105mm VR. He is offering me Bag+4GB card too. Hmmm...

Then, he cautiously tells me that he has a "little used" D90 if I am interested. Yes, yes i am. The camera is as good as new. Sparingly used. All items and accessories with original packing. New bag + new 4GB card free. Dealer warranty 6mnths. Cost 5500 LE. Interesting. We settle for this one. He agrees to give 16GB card instead of 4GB. So, I have the DSLR. May be expensive from Indian price point of view but for Egypt it was a good deal.

I am reading the booklet and busy trying out things. Lets see some better pics coming from my side in the future.

Some pics of my new set I bought, as taken from my P&S Sony Cybershot.

Name:  DSC00362.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  221.7 KB

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00366.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00384.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00390.jpg
Old 19th July 2010, 00:41   #198
BHPian

Congrats on your new camera. It's a nifty one.

We will also get benefitted
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 11:03   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Then, he cautiously tells me that he has a "little used" D90 if I am interested. Yes, yes i am. The camera is as good as new. Sparingly used. All items and accessories with original packing. New bag + new 4GB card free. Dealer warranty 6mnths. Cost 5500 LE. Interesting. We settle for this one. He agrees to give 16GB card instead of 4GB. So, I have the DSLR. May be expensive from Indian price point of view but for Egypt it was a good deal.
Wonderful thread and pics.

Did you checked the shutter count ?
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:19   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Congrats on your new camera. It's a nifty one.

We will also get benefitted
Thanks. Yeah I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Wonderful thread and pics.

Did you checked the shutter count ?
Thanks.

To be frank No I did not. I did not get any menu to check the same. Once you mentioned I searched and downloaded Opanda IExif and checked the count. It shows at 28,324. Now I realise that its been been used quite a bit. I think the average life is 100K for shutter. But can not help it now. Any takes on that.
Old 20th July 2010, 12:27   #201
BHPian

I knew the SLR was coming! Good buy and we can now have more free darshans around the world :-)
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:22   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
I knew the SLR was coming! Good buy and we can now have more free darshans around the world :-)
Thanks ExtremeTorque. So it was an intelligent guess on your part. I hope that I am able to justice to the equipment. Free darshan of Egypt for sure, I wish I could you free darshan of world too. Its some time before I venture out again. Its hectic schedule and hot weather.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:26   #203
BHPian

Thumbs up

Dear Taurean,

Congratulations of acquiring the DSLR. Dont bother much about the money. Its all worth it because the memories what you are gonna capture will be much more precious than any thing. Keep enjoying your trip and not to forget to share the joys with us.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:30   #204
BHPian

Hi TaureanBull,

Quote:
I will keep you all posted about the experiences, my travelogues and of course car and traffic scene in Egypt. I will build it over a period of time. The weekend is on Thursday and Friday. So thats the time you all will see the maximum activity.
Here I go...
This is a very interesting thread. The text and pictures together are well done and give me a clear idea of what is what in Egypt.

My wife is planning a trip to Egypt with her friends (Ladies' Club) and I will show this to her, it will be very useful. I will also PM you for advice if their trip does become reality, is that okay?

Quote:
...he has a "little used" D90 if I am interested. Yes, yes i am. The camera is as good as new. Sparingly used.
That's a good model. I use the older D80 myself and I am only now getting the hang of it (I was more into film). Did you get the 18-105 VR with it?

28k shutter operations works out to just under 80 operations a day for one year, so that could be bit above average usage. The D90 is built well and I don't expect you'll have any problems. My D80 is 3 years old and has been used in rain, baked in the car, but no problems. Best wishes.

Happy shooting, now we'll see many more pics, good!

Great T/L, keep it coming!
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:43   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Once you mentioned I searched and downloaded Opanda IExif and checked the count. It shows at 28,324.
How do you do that?

Anyway Nikon is a great camera and you should not be facing any trouble here. I've had a D90 for over a year now and no probs. Prior to that I had a N80 for around 9 years and never had a problem with that one either. It still works like a dream.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:34   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
How do you do that?

Anyway Nikon is a great camera and you should not be facing any trouble here. I've had a D90 for over a year now and no probs. Prior to that I had a N80 for around 9 years and never had a problem with that one either. It still works like a dream.
Hi SafeDrive,

I also dont have a problem with my D90 till now. I think you want to know about the shutter count thing. Like I told you, download Opanda IExif software, its a freeware. Install. Open any photo click by the camera in this software. It will give you summary of a whole lot of information about the picture.

I am uploading some pics downloaded from the Opanda IExif website.

Exif viewer : Opanda IExif - Professional EXIF / GPS / IPTC Viewer & Editor in Windows, IE & Firefox

In the first pic you can see the shutter count.
Attached Images

Last edited by TaureanBull : 23rd July 2010 at 18:36.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:41   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hi TaureanBull,
This is a very interesting thread. The text and pictures together are well done and give me a clear idea of what is what in Egypt.

My wife is planning a trip to Egypt with her friends (Ladies' Club) and I will show this to her, it will be very useful. I will also PM you for advice if their trip does become reality, is that okay?

That's a good model. I use the older D80 myself and I am only now getting the hang of it (I was more into film). Did you get the 18-105 VR with it?

28k shutter operations works out to just under 80 operations a day for one year, so that could be bit above average usage. The D90 is built well and I don't expect you'll have any problems. My D80 is 3 years old and has been used in rain, baked in the car, but no problems. Best wishes.

Happy shooting, now we'll see many more pics, good!

Great T/L, keep it coming!
Thanks for the appreciation.

Thats a good news that some one from India is planning a trip here. Just ask me anytime, I would help you out with pleasure.

Yes, I got 18-105mm VR with it. It was a original D90+18-105mm set. I have got each and every accessory with it. Working perfectly fine so far (touch wood).
Old 27th July 2010, 00:23   #208
Senior - BHPian

Default An Evening on the Street

Its hot here. As I have experienced, the weather here follows Indian weather by about 2 months. The hot weather has picked up in July, when its raining and flooding all over India. Of course monsoons wont be here. It does not rain here. Rarely in winters. Only some drizzles.

We decided to take a walk along the Autostrad Road in Nasr City. At 6PM, the air is warm and not really comfortable. But since its been a long time, we go ahead with it.

The road at places is full of people walking around but as we reach near the Cairo Convention Centre opposite Al-Azhar university the footpath is wide and open. We catch a glimpse of Al-Azhar University from outside. It is a very old university established in 972AD. It is famous for Islamic and religious studies, but it also has modern fields of science on the offer. Below is the link for more information:-

Al-Azhar University, Cairo

The university link is in Arabic (English option under construction), for those who are interested:-

جامعة الازهر ترحب بكم

Autostradt Road

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0240.jpg

The Main Entrance

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0243.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0246.jpg

Main Building and Mosque

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0247.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0249.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0250.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0252.jpg

A Flower Basket!

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0257.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 00:55   #209
Senior - BHPian

Default Unknown Soldiers Memorial

As we walked further, we reached the Unknown Soldier's Memorial.

It was built by President Anwar Sadat in 1974 in memory of soldier's who lost their liife in 1973 Arab-Israel War. It is about 37m high and has four pillars forming a shape of hollow pyramid. In the centre is a basalt cube representing the soldier's tomb.

There is very big irony related with this monument. Any one any guesses? If not I would cover it tomorrow.

The Memorial

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0261.jpg

Name:  DSC_0267.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  243.8 KB

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0274.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0275.jpg

Grand Stand Opposite the Memorial across the Road (From the Road Divider)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0271.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0272.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0277.jpg

A Carpet Shop on the Street

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0280.jpg
Old 27th July 2010, 10:36   #210
BHPian

Quote:
There is very big irony related with this monument. Any one any guesses? If not I would cover it tomorrow.
Was it funded by Israel or designed by an Israeli?
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote