Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th July 2010, 19:04   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Was it funded by Israel or designed by an Israeli?
. Very hilarious. But No.

Irony:

Date of Arab-Israel War : 06 Oct 1973.

The Egyptians claim it to be their outright victory and they celebrate it as Armed Forces day till date. First time celebrated by President Sadat on 06 Oct 1974, when also it was inaugurated by Sadat, it was designed by Sadat. It was memory of the war which was well planned and reasonably well executed by Sadat.

It was here on 06 Oct 1981, while reviewing army parade he was assassinated by a group of army officers who opposed his Camp David peace accord. Sadat' tomb also lies at this place.

He never knew he was choosing his death place, death date and that he was designing of the tomb for himself!

Last edited by TaureanBull : 27th July 2010 at 19:09.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:16   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He never knew he was choosing his death place, death date and that he was designing of the tomb for himself!
Very hilarious, but sad to hear; very good piece of information though. Was able to google & found some additional info here.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2010, 19:33   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Very hilarious, but sad to hear; very good piece of information though. Was able to google & found some additional info here.
Just see this link for more info:-

Anwar El Sadat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the assassination part.

You can google and find some videos of assassination too.

BTW, present President Hosny Mubarak (then Vice-President and in 1973 war Chief of Air Force) was also present that time. He was hit in his hand.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:45   #214
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss thisTL for so long?? Excellent narration of events, esp liked the rouge tout in the Pyramid area. Good pictures and finally congrats on your DSLR buy.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 19:18   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
How did I miss thisTL for so long?? Excellent narration of events, esp liked the rouge tout in the Pyramid area. Good pictures and finally congrats on your DSLR buy.
Thx goandude. There was no update for sometime. That may be the reason that you missed it.

These type of people are available everywhere in the world. I am itching to use the DSLR to the full capabilities. But it looks like there would be sometime before it happens. Sadly!
Old 29th July 2010, 00:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Default Felucca Ride

Here comes Wednesday evening and begins a new weekend. We decided to take a ride in the Felucca (sail boat) in the Nile. We pack up with snacks and leave for the Corniche. We reach at 6:15PM and decide to take a short walk along the Corniche. At 6:30 we reach in front of the Grand Hyatt Cairo. We walk down the Ali Baba as someone from there calls us to come. We get into the bargaining business. We settle for LE 50/- for an hour ride + tips to the captain.

Ali Baba (My wife suggested that the people around there might be his 40 chors (thieves) so beware).

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0421.jpg

Ali Baba Feluccas

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0287.jpg

Our Felucca

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0414.jpg

Our Captain

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0299.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 02:03   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I get some more pics from outside. These are some new stocks of raw ceramics waiting to be unpacked.

Attachment 383533

The display in the window.

Attachment 383534

When I am back from my strolling around second time, I see the work has been completed. It looked like this before we handed over for firing.

Attachment 383535

Our date for collection is 12 Jul, but mostly I will go on 15/16. I will post the pics of the fired BULL.

After a colourful day we return back home at almost night.
by the way all this is now possible in Bombay - at the Phoenix Mills - Paladium.

Many thanks for the travelogue, its been very informative.

Last edited by manolin : 29th July 2010 at 02:04.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 02:09   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
by the way all this is now possible in Bombay - at the Phoenix Mills - Paladium.

Many thanks for the travelogue, its been very informative.
I am sure it must be. Good to know about it and proud of it. But you will appreciate experience is different at different places. Moreover, its a river felucca. Frankly, there is nothing great about it. But still its so relaxing to feel the cool wind and a noiseless environment.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 29th July 2010, 02:15   #219
BHPian

i was talking about the ceramic pot! the river felucca is still is a very novel experience.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 02:30   #220
Senior - BHPian

Default Felucca Ride

We get on the boat. Its 6:30PM, sun still shining bright, a cool strong breeze and a noiseless environment. We open up our pack of snacks. We feel the beauty of the place and try to capture in our memories. Some sitings:-

The Felucca Seating

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0329.jpg

The Sail

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0324.jpg

Grand Hyatt Cairo, Located on Rawdah Island. More information on the island
Egypt: Rawdah (Roda) Island

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0307.jpg

Four Season's Hotel

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0371.jpg

Four Seasons and Grand Hyatt

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0337.jpg

The El-Gezira Building

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0335.jpg

An Anchored Restaurant Boat

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0372.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 08:38   #221
Senior - BHPian

DSC329 looks like pampering in luxury & beautiful. I'm sure this is one good experience. I hope they don't serve or charge more for serving food right?

Tell me, does the sun rise early & set late in Egypt like the west? At least in Summer? In the west, around peak summer, the Sun rises around 5:30 AM & sets around 10:00 PM. Is that the same case in Egypt?

Wish list - Would like to see some Indian grocery stores & typical Egyptian lifestyle & their home.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 11:10   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
DSC329 looks like pampering in luxury & beautiful. I'm sure this is one good experience. I hope they don't serve or charge more for serving food right?

Tell me, does the sun rise early & set late in Egypt like the west? At least in Summer? In the west, around peak summer, the Sun rises around 5:30 AM & sets around 10:00 PM. Is that the same case in Egypt?

Wish list - Would like to see some Indian grocery stores & typical Egyptian lifestyle & their home.
The one in DSC329 is a simple felucca for ride. No meals given, however one may take his own and help himself. The docked restaurant type ones/dinner cruises normally have packages per person which include the meals as per package, entry to boat and the entertainment programme. Everywhere the tips are additional.

The day is not as long as it is in West but longer than India. Eg today, sun rise 6:12 AM and sunset 7:50 PM. BTW now its day light saving time. We are 2.30hrs behind India, in winters it is 3.30hrs.

Thanks that you have given me your needs. I do remember your previous one about Oasis too. Here the Indian population is about 3-4k. So, obviously no Indian grocery stores as such. But there are store where you get some items to cater for your need. These are mainly western chains for expats like Carrefour, Spinneys. Metro, Alpha etc.

About an Egyptian house I will try and post pics as soon as possible.

BTW AFAIK there is not much guest entertaining at house (except relatives). May be two friends meet outside in cafe over a sheesha. I guess it is a cost cutting measure as the salaries are paltry and daily cost of living is expensive. Imagine a middle class family (comparing with India) living in Rs10,000/- at a place 1.5 times costlier. He has a big family to look after too.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:38   #223
Senior - BHPian

Default Felucca Ride

Continuing from yesterday..I have some more pics. These are some of the other boats which I spotted.

Sail yet to open

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0309.jpg

Powered boat with 'population explosion'

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0330.jpg

One of the colourful sails

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0356.jpg

VIP boat with a special deck.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0358.jpg

Hyatt in the Background

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0388.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0387.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 19:53   #224
Senior - BHPian

Default Felucca Ride

The final set of pictures from this outing. This includes some more captures by the lens and the sun set after which we left.

Floating plants

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0353.jpg

Fountain on a minuscule island amidst the river

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0334.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0375.jpg

An Aeroplane passes over the horizon as sun sets

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0379.jpg

The Sunset

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0417.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 20:24   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely journey through the lens. All thanks to the man behind the camera.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote