Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th July 2010, 20:57   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Lovely journey through the lens. All thanks to the man behind the camera.
Thanks. I am honoured. The pleasure in mine. I also thank Team-BHP to give an opportunity to me to share my views and to BHPians for taking out their valuable time and going through this thread.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 22:32   #227
Senior - BHPian

@TB - Now, why did you show me a sneak peak of sunset? Pls pls, post some more sunsets, I love sunsets. How wonderful & romantic would it be to spend time in a boat at sunset? Wow, the very thought provoked me for a vacation at Kumarakoam.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 23:36   #228
Senior - BHPian

Default Felucca Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@TB - Now, why did you show me a sneak peak of sunset? Pls pls, post some more sunsets, I love sunsets. How wonderful & romantic would it be to spend time in a boat at sunset? Wow, the very thought provoked me for a vacation at Kumarakoam.
I will post more. Its very romantic indeed. IMO I should have hired the boat for two hours or adjusted time such that the sunset time is in the mid of that one hour. When our one hour finished it was just about the sun set time.

I really did not like the sunset thing much personally scenery wise. I would have preferred a clear horizon but here the buildings were scattered all over in the background. The ambiance was great though.

Here are some moods of the sun while going down:-

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0365.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0366.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0380.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0381.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0386.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0399.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0400.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0405.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0412.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0415.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0416.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc_0420.jpg
Old 30th July 2010, 11:15   #229
BHPian

The sunset pics are great. I can see the D90 at work . By the way, have you seen anything on coptic Christianity yet? I would like a post on that.
Egpyt is one of the options that we are looking at for next Summer. When I say summer I mean late March or April. Is that a good time and how many days would be required for a decent vacation. One of the things we are considering is the 7 day cruise on the Nile.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 13:46   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
The sunset pics are great. I can see the D90 at work . By the way, have you seen anything on coptic Christianity yet? I would like a post on that.
Egpyt is one of the options that we are looking at for next Summer. When I say summer I mean late March or April. Is that a good time and how many days would be required for a decent vacation. One of the things we are considering is the 7 day cruise on the Nile.
Thanks.

Answer to last question first. You must visit this place and you would cherish memories forever. Well, March end/April is a great time to visit because its end of winters here. Weather would be like that of Feb in India. Carry light woollens. I know you would be surprise to know that. How much time you need depends on what you want. I could be more specific if you can tell me your interests. However, I will tell you what is popular here:-

1. Cairo : Must Giza Pyramids, Egyptian Museum, Citadel, Coptic Museum, Khan-el Khalili for shopping and an Evening with us here. It could be the last place as you would be shopping for souvenirs here. I would have suggested fellucca ride but since you would be going for Nile Cruise you can skip this. Damages here (as on date 1LE = Rs 8.6) :
Hotel : LE 300. 24hrs.
Vehicle full day : LE 200 for full day.
Tickets : Egyptian Museum : LE 60 entry and LE 100 mummy room for one adult.
Pyramids : Complex entry LE 60 (incl Seeing pyramids from outside and Sphinx), solar boat museum LE 50, entry into three Pyramids LE60/30/25. for one adult. At any point of time only two are open. You should go inside only one of them. it can be claustrophobic to go inside. Its more than 50m in the narrow tunnel. Not good ventilation and light. Small baby definitely ruled out.

2. Luxor-Aswan (Nile Cruise) : 7 days cruise would be the best and cover entire South Egypt. The cruise includes on board meals (mostly bfast and dinner), entrance fees to all monuments, guide to all places etc. Tips to guides and cruise members (must) not incl. I myself have not gone yet. I would be going in November end if all is well. Follow the link. It would give you an idea of the cost and itinerary. About $60 onwards per person. You have to travel from Cairo to Luxor/Aswan, as the cruises begin from there, by overnight train (reasonable and comfortable) or flight (time saver).

Presidential Nile Cruises | Nile Cruises | Nile Cruise | Nile River Cruise | Nile River Cruises.

Link for overnight trains :

Welcome to Abela Egypt

Other places of interest in Egypt:-

3. Sharm-el-Sheilkh/Sinai/Dahab : For Red Sea diving, snorkelling. You can explore some beautiful corals under the sea. Sinai for the famous Mt Sinai and Monastery.

4. Siwa/Bahariya Oasis : Provides some wonderful views of the desert and Oasis. Different from Rajasthan. There is black desert and white desert. There are some ancient monuments too.

5. Suez Canal : You can see it when you cross over to Sharm-el Sheikh.

6. Alexandria : Roman Theatre, Catacombs, Greek-Roman Museum, Qait-Bay Fort, Diving to explore underwater treasures.

Answer about coptic areas will follow.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:26   #231
Senior - BHPian

To be very frank I have not been to any Coptic places yet. The one i have planned to visit is St Catherine's Monastery in Sinai. Egypt is the hub for the Coptics and it has many monasteries which are very old. They are spread all over the country. Egypt has 12m out of 16million followers world wide.

You can go through the following links to explore more and what suits you best. I will suggest you the St Catherine's Monastery in Sinai, Coptic museum in Cairo, Monastery of St Anthony and St Marks. There are some in the Fayyoum area too.

Coptic & Islamic ? Organize your trip with the egyptian tourism office

Egypt: Christian Monasteries of Egypt

Below is the tourist map of Egypt (Source : Google) . There are many interactive maps in the above mentioned sites.

Name:  Egypt Map.gif
Views: 6676
Size:  29.9 KB
Old 1st August 2010, 21:08   #232
Senior - BHPian

Default Road Accident

My wife saw a road accident from the balcony and took some snaps (its from the old Sony Cybershot). There was a guy driving a sedan and banged this car from behind. The impact was so high that the car turned 90 degrees. (The white one).

The driver of the sedan tried to flee but too a U-turn from next turn. While he was crossing the accident site he was spotted and stopped by the crowd. You can see crowd in action thereafter.

The driver of the white car thankfully had only some bruises.

The above report is by wife and she is the photographer too.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00394.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00395.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00396.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00397.jpg
Old 1st August 2010, 22:44   #233
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I've missed quite a bit here in this log. That's what happens when one works on one's own log! Amazing photos you got there TBull. I have to go through the last 10 pages or so in detail.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 23:37   #234
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Whew. That's one long reading in a stretch. Took me an hour to reach here.
Great pics. Progressed a lot in a few days I was not looking.
Great job Pharoah TBull.
As a mark of my appreciation to this, 5*s from my side.
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:29   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull
really did not like the sunset thing much personally scenery wise. I would have preferred a clear horizon but here the buildings were scattered all over in the background. The ambiance was great though
You're right on this one, but, a sunset is sunset, it is romantic indeed no matter where it is & how it is. I liked them personally very much, be it behind the buildings or at the horizon.

No matter how people drive there, I still see the lane discipline & also see how people moved away from blocking the road & creating unnecessary jam. I still feel, Egyptian traffic is better than our roads. What do you say?
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:29   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Whew. That's one long reading in a stretch. Took me an hour to reach here.
Great pics. Progressed a lot in a few days I was not looking.
Great job Pharoah TBull.
As a mark of my appreciation to this, 5*s from my side.
Thanks a lot for your appreciation MX6.

Quote:
You're right on this one, but, a sunset is sunset, it is romantic indeed no matter where it is & how it is. I liked them personally very much, be it behind the buildings or at the horizon.

No matter how people drive there, I still see the lane discipline & also see how people moved away from blocking the road & creating unnecessary jam. I still feel, Egyptian traffic is better than our roads. What do you say?
Well, +ves of traffic here :

1. Almost all the times there is driving from wrong direction. You can safely take care of one side and carry on.

2. They do maintain lane discipline.

3. They obey the rule. Most of the them and most of the times.

4. I am not sure if its a +ve. The number of two wheelers is very very less. infact they are rare. So, no criss-crossing.

5. Traffic police available at most of the places and pretty efficient.

-ves :

1. Traffic speed is very high. So, is the speed of lane changing and cause of most of the accidents.

2. There seems to be no care for pedestrians. Crossing the road is an art here.

3. The parking space is very premium. Even the housing complexes are without parking space.Obvious place is the road for parking.

4. The drivers use the horn very often and in an irritating manner. Like a marriage procession with drivers sync the horn in a musical manner. At 1am it could be really irritating. No patience during traffic jams too. (anything taking more than 2mins is a traffic jam).
5. The drivers also enjoy braking at the last moment . Screeching sounds are common. Normally no need to worry.

6. Indicator use is good.

7. Taxi drivers always make it a point to pull to right and stop.

You can decide whether the traffic is better or worse.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:39   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can decide whether the traffic is better or worse
I only see more of positive & little of negative compared to our country. Somehow your points gives me a feeling for less humanity, may be I'm wrong too. But that's the same case in our country too. So, how was your weekend? Were you able to make any trip or took good rest? Tried any new restaurants or ordered veg pizza?
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:55   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only see more of positive & little of negative compared to our country. Somehow your points gives me a feeling for less humanity, may be I'm wrong too. But that's the same case in our country too. So, how was your weekend? Were you able to make any trip or took good rest? Tried any new restaurants or ordered veg pizza?
Yes you are right. But thats not what you feel when you meet people. But the tension of daily life plays its part when on the wheel.

You saw the pics of the weekend. . My weekend is on Thrus and Fri. Today I am in mid-week. I had gone for Fellucca on Wednesday. Thrusday and Friday spent in the club and daily shopping.

BTW, month of Ramadan (in India popular as Ramzan ka mahina) is beginning from 11 Aug. Its one of the major festivals here. Life is totally different here. I will try and post pics from the street life.

Another thing, tourism from my side would be low for 2-3 months as I am expecting my second baby in first week October. Yes, here in Cairo.

Major places would be covered from November end onwards or first half next year. Till then mostly street life and one day tours.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:21   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
You saw the pics of the weekend. . My weekend is on Thrus and Fri. Today I am in mid-week. I had gone for Fellucca on Wednesday. Thrusday and Friday spent in the club and daily shopping.
Sorry I totally forgot.

Quote:
BTW, month of Ramadan (in India popular as Ramzan ka mahina) is beginning from 11 Aug. Its one of the major festivals here. Life is totally different here. I will try and post pics from the street life.
Yes yes, this will be totally different & first of the kind to see on TBhp. I'm now all eyes to read this & waiting eagerly, pls don't disappoint us

Quote:
Another thing, tourism from my side would be low for 2-3 months as I am expecting my second baby in first week October. Yes, here in Cairo.
Good good; Congratulations. Looking forward your contributions here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...periences.html (Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences)
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:14   #240
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can't resist stating this.
So your wife is going to become MUMMY again.

Congrats dude. Guess you will be having to rush to the embassy many times soon!