Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th June 2010, 23:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default A Night in Cairo

It was a beautiful evening today. Almost full moon and good breeze. Took an opportunity to capture some shots from my balcony and roof.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09613.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09614.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09625.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09629.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09636.jpg
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 09:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Umm Koulsoum

This is the statue of famous Egyptian singer (now dead) Oum Koulsoum. She was also singer of King Farooq. Extremely famous. She has also sung a song with an Indian..I dont know with whom.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08328.jpg  

Old 26th June 2010, 23:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default Trip to Alexandria Pic Set 3

I think I am digressing from the main write up on my Alexandria visit. There is a lot to write but I dont have time. In the mean time, pics of sun set at Alexandria. The weather was excellent. In the month of April (almost end) we felt a need for a warm clothing in the evening.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08955.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08957.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08962.jpg
Old 27th June 2010, 23:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Default The Catacombs

Continuing about the trip to Alexandria..our next destination was Catacombs or Kom-al-Shoqafa. The Catacombs were discovered by incident when a donkey working in the area fell into the well. The excavation led to a three level Catacomb structure. A spiral staircase leads to the bottom. The lowermost level is now submerged in the water. The entire structure has been built but cutting and carving the rock. There is no construction. There are hundreds of cut outs to keep the body inside. There are two sarcophagus outside the main chamber which were never used. This chamber was used for the royal families. This is true blend of Pharaonic and Roman architecture. On the walls of chamber the procedure to mummify the body has been carved out. A place which can be easy missed out. But a rather interesting place.
Old 27th June 2010, 23:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Default The Catacombs II

Photography is not permitted inside the Catacombs esp the main chamber (no clear cut rules). I sneaked in few of the chambers.

Note : Getting down in the subterranean area and exploring the chambers may be claustrophobic to few.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08839.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08840.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08841.jpg

A sarcophagus with roman carvings lying open in the Catacombs area.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08838.jpg
Old 27th June 2010, 23:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Default The Museums

There are two museums side by side i.e. The National Museum of Alexandria and The Grecko-Roman Museum. The Grecko-Roman has been closed for about an year for renovation. So, went to the National Museum. It had three floors. There were artifacts from the Pharaonic time, Roman period and of religious value (coptic and muslim). To be very frank it was a disappointment after I had visited the Egyptian Antiquities Museum in Cairo.

IMO if someone has visited the museum in Cairo it can safely be left out. Though there are some good artifacts in the Grecko-Roman museum. It should be in the list whenever it opens again.
Old 28th June 2010, 00:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Default Fort QaitBay

It is built exactly on the site of the Pharaoh's Lighthouse. It if also believed to be constructed from the rubble's of the lighthouse. It served as a fort to protect the country from the invaders through the Mediterranean sea. It has three floors. Lower one has a Mosque. There are rooms to store the Ammunition etc. A walled complex surrounds the Fort.

Young Egyptians on Shore near the Fort

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08844.jpg

Model of Fort inside the Fort

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08852.jpg

From the Window of the Fort

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08855.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08857.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08858.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08871.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08877.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08882.jpg

Alexandria City from top of the Fort

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08883.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08888.jpg
Old 28th June 2010, 12:13   #83
BHPian

Excellent coverage there and thanks for sharing. Waiting to see more..
Indian Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 00:46   #84
Senior - BHPian

Default Roman Theatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Excellent coverage there and thanks for sharing. Waiting to see more..
Thx a lot. Nice to see that there are some people who are interested in this thread.

The next visit was to Kom-ad-Dikka or the Roman Theater. This was the last place of the visit to Alexandria. It is in a horse shoe shape. There are 13 steps in grey and white marble for seating. The seating capacity is approx 700-800. This structure has another wall around it. The space between them also acted as the passage way.

In this area, there are also remains of roman baths and roman quarters. This area is still under excavation and not open to the visitors.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08932.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08898.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08900.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08912.jpg

The broken roof and the passage around the theater.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08937.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08935.jpg

The roman quarters in the new excavations. The construction in red bricks is from a different time period than the white stone construction.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08938.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08939.jpg
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

Went to the city yesterday in a taxi. Caught some view of the Citadel from the taxi as it was stuck in the traffic jam. We also went to City Stars the biggest mall in Egypt (I read somewhere that its in middle east).

Firstly of the Citadel. The citadel looks great in the night. But could not capture the view in the night as the driver acted funny. When we were returning back he takes us all over the city to make money (as the meter sped) and reasons out that he wanted to avoid jam. It was 2.5 times the actual fare. Additionally, I missed the view of the night. Its extremely well lit in colours of green, orange, blue and yellow.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09705.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09708.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09710.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09712.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09713.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09714.jpg

Our building is being white washed from outside. It needed it pretty badly. Just see the acrobats of the labour wahite washing. Any different from India? It appeared pretty dangerous to me as they are lugging on the circle with one hand and painting with another. They swing their hips to move and across the surface.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09739.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09740.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09741.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09742.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd July 2010 at 00:29. Reason: Please avoid making back to back posts, thanks
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Thanks TaureanBull; I guess I didn't need to ask you about the traffic & road sense as I automatically assume they should be good. Correct me otherwise. Looking forward to see some egyptian cuisines, especially on vegetarian.

The night pictures have come out awesomely beautiful, I loved it. I'm going to shamelessly download for my wallpaper

Regarding the whitewash, yes, it looks dangerous for us. But since, they've mastered the practice over years, I think our methods will look dangerous to them isn't it?

Last edited by aargee : 2nd July 2010 at 20:04.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks TaureanBull; I guess I didn't need to ask you about the traffic & road sense as I automatically assume they should be good. Correct me otherwise. Looking forward to see some egyptian cuisines, especially on vegetarian.

The night pictures have come out awesomely beautiful, I loved it. I'm going to shamelessly download for my wallpaper

Regarding the whitewash, yes, it looks dangerous for us. But since, they've mastered the practice over years, I think our methods will look dangerous to them isn't it?
They do not have any traffic sense. Its extremely dangerous driving. Totally unsafe for pedestrians and least of the manners. What they believe in is speeeeeeed!!

1. What will you do if you see some one crossing a road? We know the answer in India. Here he will speed up as if there is no one in front oh him. There is no sign of vehicle slowing down or changing its lane. We escaped a small accident. The car just managed to stopped somehow. It may take anything 10 mins or more to cross roads fro a non-native.

2. There is nothing known as lane driving. The person on the leftmost lane will suddenly take a right turn (its the american system; right hand drive).

3. The drivers are horn happy as much as accelerator happy.

4. They take really sharp turns and maneuvers really giving a scary feeling.

5. Whats more scary is that these are applicable to all vehicles-the load carriers, bus etc.

Will try and post more on this situation.

I am flattered that you found the pics that worthy!!! Do as you like.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:22   #88
Senior - BHPian

Default City Stars-Stars Centre

Its a great mall by the City Stars group. probably the biggest in Middle East, definitely in Egypt. It has seven levels, about 700 stores, cinema screens, numerous restaurants, a floor for khan-el-khalili treasures, huge Spinneys store etc.

We went there yesterday. Managed to capture some interior pics.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09755.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09758.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09759.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09771.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09773.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09774.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09775.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09778.jpg
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:26   #89
Senior - BHPian

What???? I'm happy that there's another such country like India to compare with our traffic jams!!! Jokes apart, I'm finding it hard to believe, but I'm stupid, I should've guessed it from your pics as its quite evident.

Quote:
I am flattered that you found the pics that worthy
No flattery my friend, I loved the night pics very much & infact wanted to ask, how you took them. Especially the 9636, 9629, 9614 & 9625 (I think I almost said everything) are really beautiful. But as a matter of fact, I'm more of a sunset loving person, it could be due to that.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No flattery my friend, I loved the night pics very much & infact wanted to ask, how you took them. Especially the 9636, 9629, 9614 & 9625 (I think I almost said everything) are really beautiful. But as a matter of fact, I'm more of a sunset loving person, it could be due to that.
Its a point and shoot Sony Cybershot. Recently, I have been reading a lot about photography since I am planning to upgrade to a DSLR. (I have the budget but can not buy here because of prohibitive costs. 25k more than India , just waiting for some one to come here from India).

I took these pictures using the stand. Shutter speed low. Stand is a must as hands can not hold camera steadily for long. Camera stand and low shutter speed will give you good results in low light conditions eg sunset etc.