Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd July 2010, 23:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Saqqarah, Memphis and Dahshur

This would be my first live reporting of travelogues. Tomorrow we plan to visit to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur.

Memphis

24 kms from Cairo, it was the city founded by Menes. He is regarded as the first king of the first dynasty. This land was reclaimed from Nile and established in 3100BC. What I learn is that there is not much to see now, I will see that tomorrow.

Saqqarah

It houses the pyramids from the 3rd-5th dynasty. The important places being step pyramid of Zoser (one of the first pyramids), Vizier's Tomb etc.

Dahshur

Its 5km ahead of Saqqarah. Important pyramids being Bent Pyramid and Black Pyramid.

I have booked a taxi for the day and plan to leave at 8AM. Dont trust the punctuality of the Egyptians. Will post the details when I come back tomorrow.

My Backpack (contains water bottle, some snacks, passport etc)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09788.jpg

My Bible (for planning all trips and gaining knowledge about everything)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09799.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09804.jpg
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

This kick in another question - how about internet connectivity? Do you get the same quality/speed/service/technology as in India or anything inferior or superior?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:17   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This kick in another question - how about internet connectivity? Do you get the same quality/speed/service/technology as in India or anything inferior or superior?
The internet connectivity is superb. You pay the price for speed. However a reasonable speed is available for free at Mcdonalds, Malls, 5* hotels and such like places. Earlier I had a Mobinil USB internet connection. It was about LE 225/- for a month at 1GBPS but download limit of 4GB. Now I use the broadband. Its cheaper and no download limit. I get the speed which is claimed. There are numerous cyber cafes which have good speed.

To explain more...

1. In Egypt, the middle class is very thin. There are super rich people and poor people. The salaries are really poor. So, there are everything which both of them needs. Only one needs to know where to find.

2. Tourism is a major source of revenue in Egypt. So, you will find everything a tourist needs. But again at a price. Because they target tourists from US, Europe, Japan etc not from India.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:41   #94
BHPian

To say, I recently had a option of either going to Singapore and Malaysia or Egpyt and I went for the former just because I had simply no interest in historical things. No doubt I enjoyed going to Sin/Mal but your thread has corrected me that there are a lot more things to do in Egypt that is not related to history. Thank you, this was quite an engrossing read
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
To say, I recently had a option of either going to Singapore and Malaysia or Egpyt and I went for the former just because I had simply no interest in historical things. No doubt I enjoyed going to Sin/Mal but your thread has corrected me that there are a lot more things to do in Egypt that is not related to history. Thank you, this was quite an engrossing read
I would be happy if any one here is benefitted. I must tell you that all this I have posted is just a small piece of what Egypt has to offer. There are far better areas which I will keep posting as I travel. To name a few the corals at red sea, sea diving at Alexandria/Sharm etc, desert safari/oasis...and so on. The handicap till now was that I had not visited the places from the point of view of writing in a forum. The future posts will cover the visits better.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:32   #96
BHPian

Excellent informative thread, bringing some rare pics. Keep it up.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Excellent informative thread, bringing some rare pics. Keep it up.
Thanks a lot LDL for your interest. By the way I am following your South India Tour in your Black Tigress.
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

Default Nearby Cairo Trip

I am back from the trip. Just could not wait to post the pics.

As I told you that I had booked the vehicle for this trip.

Cost : 150 LE+ tips to driver.

The owner told me it would be a van. . To my mind came Maruti Van. Never mind I have to travel, so be it. Inspite of knowing the "Egyptian Punctuality" we got ready in time and as I was packing some final items to my backpack, I get the call.

Is it driver? I think. Yes he is. May be he is asking for some excuse to be late.

"Sir, I am waiting for you on road" . He is BEFORE time. 0750 AM.

We leave at 8AM sharp. The driver speaks good english too. Not mandatory for me but wife feels happy. As she can not make out much from an Arabic conversation.

This is my vehicle for the day. Boy were we happy!!! Entire space to ourselves and what a comfortable ride. I loved the vehicle. I will cover the vehicle write up after covering the trip. But this happiness will come with some heartburns....

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09810.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

We drive through the empty roads, it being Saturday and morning. After crossing the Giza Nile bridge we take a left turn and travel along the Farooq canal. There are buildings everywhere and the canal too is not the cleanest of all. The road condition deteriorates as we travel through the rural Egypt. The life is ditto rural life in India. I did not feel miss aplace.

After an hours drive we reach at Dahshur village. We decided to cover the farthest place first. We buy tickets at the ticket office :-

Dahshur Complex : LE 30/- adult + LE 5/- for car.

We enter the deserts and drive for another 2 km or so. We reach the "Red Pyramid". It is built of red stone, though personally I felt the colour of stones was sand colour with red tinge. The pyramid was built by Snefru (2613 BC to 2589BC). He built three pyramids -Red Pyramid, Bent Pyramid and Maidum (large pyramid). The Red Pyramid is the first TRUE pyramid. The rest two being an attempt to construct a pyramid. The Red Pyramid stands at about 100m. It has an angle of 43 degree throughout. It was robbed of its tura limestone later on for construction at other places.

The Maidum is located about 100kms from Cairo. It is also known as Large Pyramid, False Pyramid or the Collapsed Pyramid. It was an unsuccessful attempt of building the pyramids.

The Bent Pyramid was the second one to be built by Snefru. It was constructed at 55 degree angle from the bottom but midway changed to 43 degree giving it a bent look. It still contains its original limestone plaster courtesy its structure which made difficult to rob off the limestone. It has a 25 m tunnel connecting the small pyramid of his wife and one of the earlier known mortuary temple.

Here are the pics of the Red Pyramid from different angles.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09869.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09815.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09870.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09902.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09913.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

The driver stops the vehicle right near the Red Pyramid and we climb up and enter the pyramid. Long claustrophobic tunnel which leads to a chamber and then two storeys of wooden stairs. Finally we reach the tomb. We look at the beautiful roof standing under tonnes of stones with no natural light.

Here are the pics. There was very less light. Much much less than what appears. Most of it is the light of flash.

Our Car from Outside the Entrance Gate

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09822.jpg

Base of Steps to Outside

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09826.jpg

From Entrance to Inside

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09827.jpg

The Wooden Stairs

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09840.jpg

The Roof Converges at Top

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09842.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:15   #101
Senior - BHPian

We come out of the Pyramid. We find lots of Japanese tourists pouring in. The driver turns the key to start the vehicle.. click..click..gheeeee.gheeee..Engine is not picking up. He tells me that the battery seems to be down.

I stay calm as he says he will do something about it. I take a walk around the pyramid. The Maidum (Large Pyramid) is pretty far, located at Fayyoum. But a hazy structure can be seen. The Bent Pyramid is near by. There are no roads yet till there. Cross country is out of question either on foot or vehicle. I open up my camera stand and shoot these two Pyramids at the same time something is being done to the car.

The Bent Pyramid

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09911.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09909.jpg

The Large Pyramid (at Full Zooooom)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09901.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09914.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

We come back to find that nothing much has happened except that he has collected 3-4 people to start the vehicle old style. The vehicle starts after three time dhakkas and phew... we are off again.

Just as we are about to leave the desert area I tell him to park on side so that I can try my hand on some more pics.

From Inside the Car (the Desert Road)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09915.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09916.jpg

Red Pyramid from a Distance (Desert Background)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09918.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09919.jpg

The Desert

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09922.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09924.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:44   #103
Senior - BHPian

We begin our journey again. A few metres and phak...phak... the engine is giving jerks to the vehicle and behaving like a Jerk!!! Driver puts off the AC. Wife gets put off.

"How will we survive without AC?" (in Hindi she says).

Not to worry as the vehicle is losing its pull and after crossing 100m from the Ticket Office it finally gives up. Driver calls the owner. Another vehicle is being sent thats what he tells me. It would take half an hour. I know in my heart if it makes it even an hour I would be might happy.

So....begins the wait for the help. There are traffic people crowding around and noting down all possible types of numbers - car regn, license, phone, street, flat, ticket etc. One of them stands near the car for our security. I am flattered.

Thankfully, the air is cool and there is a light breeze. Its 10.15AM. I lazy around and catch some pictures from Egyptian life.

Pity this Donkey

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09925.jpg

Driver with Hood Up

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09938.jpg

Yes...Its in Egypt (not found in city though)

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09939.jpg

So..Indian!!!

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09953.jpg

Frantic Calling to the Owner

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09954.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

One thing I realised when I was strolling around that an artist inside you wakes up at these critical moments. Wife and daughter are sitting in the car without much expressions as I do a PhotoTD of the car . The pics will come at the end of this trip.

Ok..enough. Now the artist in me is wide awake and everything starts looking beautiful. I take a stroll on the road and keep capturing my newly discovered artistic view.

I share it with you here...These pics are from a nearby palm date grove. The "green fruit" is date.

Name:  DSC09962.JPG
Views: 1472
Size:  272.3 KB
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09927.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09928.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09931.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09932.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09934.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 23:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

One more thing I realised that the artist in you is not present always and it also does get tired. So, my enthusiasm was dying down. Wife and daughter were also getting bored. The traffic police man left long ago as the sun rose and air got warmer. Probably no threat in hot sun.

It was more than 1 and half hours. I ask the driver.

"Sir, Just five minutes". Fine.

After 15 minutes I ask again.

"Sir, only 1 minute". I call the owner. He says 5 mins!!! Ok may be some communication gap. Finally another vehicle arrives at 12 noon.

My wife congratulates me on keeping me cool which I never do. So, the artist in me kept me cool!!!

The drivers change the battery and we put our stuff in the new vehicle. We leave quickly and the driver is fast as he knows that some valuable time has been lost. We head towards Memphis. Its about 15 mins drive.

Two Drivers in Action

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09969.jpg

Our New Car

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09970.jpg