Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th July 2010, 15:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Nearby Cairo : The Car I Used

It was Hyundai Starex GRX. Its a MPV/minibus/van. The engine is 2.5 SOHC 8 valve turbodiesel engine. 85 hp and 170 nm of torque. It has driver side Air bag. Folding seats. A 12 person capability. Sliding door only on co-driver side for rear entry. It has a rear AC, tilted instrument panel and stock six speakers.

It is very popular here among tourists. We had the entire space to ourselves at a cost much less than that of a hired taxi/car. Extremely comfortable.

The Sliding door on the Co-driver side for rear entry.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09810.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09970.jpg

Name:  DSC09812.JPG
Views: 1005
Size:  267.0 KB

No door on driver side for rear entry.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09861.jpg

The Front

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09862.jpg

The Back

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09952.jpg

The Seat Configuration

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09866.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09944.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09946.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09947.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09948.jpg
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 16:00   #122
BHPian

TaureanBull, Excellent Travelogue. Loved every picture

It looks like you are a veggie, If yes then how are you managing ?

*Click on 5 Stars
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 16:27   #123
Senior - BHPian

Default Nearby Cairo : The Car I Used

Here are some pics of the interiors of the car. The instrument panel. I like the way its tilted towards the driver.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09863.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09864.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09865.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09951.jpg

The seat between driver and co-driver can be folded to make it a tray or straightened to accommodate a third passenger in front row.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09943.jpg

The Rear AC Vents with Controls

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09949.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09959.jpg

Some controls on the roof for passengers

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09960.jpg

The Odometer- 1,92,907 . The vehicle is very well maintained for its mileage.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09964.jpg
Old 4th July 2010, 16:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
TaureanBull, Excellent Travelogue. Loved every picture

It looks like you are a veggie, If yes then how are you managing ?

*Click on 5 Stars
Thanks for your appreciation.

No, I am not a veggie. But like a Hindu I dont eat beef. If you followed the travelogue, I mentioned before my experience with Pizza where I was served with pieces of BEEF in a VEG Pizza as COMPLIMENT . To bring the point home, let me tell you that people here think that one eats veg because he can not afford it or prescribed medically. And of course, for them there is no difference between a beef eater and a person eating non-veg except beef. (pork is an exception for differentiating).

Regarding me : Like I told in the beginning that I live here or to be precise I am here for 1 and half years with wife and my daughter. 6 months have expired and an year is left. So, I have a full fledged kitchen working here for me. So, no problems on that part. If we want to eat non-veg we prefer to cook at home. We do eat food outside once in a while.

Regarding a person who is veg, he should know the dishes which are veg. The veg here is poor man's food. Koshawry, Phool, Taamayiyah, Mahshi, Macaroni, falafel etc are popular and available at every corner joint. There are Indian restaurants but they are expensive that too for simple foods viz dal makhani.

For person with my tastes, sea food makes a good choice from the Non-Veg section.

The home delivery here is popular and efficient. This option is available even from a local joint. Ready made food here is very popular.

BTW they dont cook bread (rotis/chapati) at home. The readymade rotis are available everywhere. When I told some friends here that my wife cooks chapati/roti everyday 2-3 times, they stared at me as if I introduced them with tenth wonder of the world.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 4th July 2010 at 16:58.
Old 4th July 2010, 19:16   #125
Team-BHP Support

Excellent travelog. I've been on the lookout for Egypt travelogs- I want to visit the place and had some queries:

1. How expensive is the place - lodging/commute ?
2. Is vegetarian food (any form) easily available throughout the tourist places ?
3. Any local culture-driven dress-code for women in the tourist places ?

Thanks.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 19:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Excellent travelog. I've been on the lookout for Egypt travelogs- I want to visit the place and had some queries:

1. How expensive is the place - lodging/commute ?
2. Is vegetarian food (any form) easily available throughout the tourist places ?
3. Any local culture-driven dress-code for women in the tourist places ?

Thanks.
Thanks for appreciation. The answers follows:-

1. Lodging. All budget lodging options are available. But the budget lodging means $50 per day! In addition there are Baksheesh for every possible service you get. But, the area is definitely cheaper than Europe and US.

2. Commuting. Taxis are a rip off IMO. Normally it works out at 1.25 LE/km (or about Rs 10/km). The buses are cost effective. In Cairo, these is Metro but does not connect hotel and tourist places. The tourist buses/hired taxis for the day are good options. There are plenty of them.

3. Veg Food. Yes. It is available at all tourist places. But the variety is pretty less. Few of the famous ones I have mentioned before.

4. Dress Code. No. Its one of the liberal nations. The modern girls can be seen around without scarf and sleeveless. Normal dress for ladies here is Tannura a long skirt till ankles, full sleeves T-shirt and scarf to cover head and body. Nowadays jeans, sleeveless with open hair are fairly popular.

Shorts/short skirts/sleeveless may attract people. But dont people stare in India too? Modern girls do wear skirts but with leggings. There are no comments, hootings or things like that. At the most stares. On beaches, there is no problem at all. One can go around in swimming suit.
For men of course there is no dress code. Wear as you like.

The bottomline is to be free to wear as you like. If you go liberal be ready for some stares. (be liberal in thinking too). I can tell you its very safe for a woman to walk around at mid-night on a lonely street.

You will find Indian mentality in most of the things here.
Old 4th July 2010, 23:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

@Taurean - Though I've been following this thread actively, it never striked to me for *****. Sorry about that, but I've done it late better than never.
Quote:
I can tell you its very safe for a woman to walk around at mid-night on a lonely street
Are you sure? I just can't believe this!!! I guess its only in some parts like city & not at all the places right?
BTW - Pls post some sightings, or point them if you've posted already, on Oasis. Just like to have a real time look as how an Oasis looks like.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 23:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Taurean - Though I've been following this thread actively, it never striked to me for *****. Sorry about that, but I've done it late better than never.

Are you sure? I just can't believe this!!! I guess its only in some parts like city & not at all the places right?
BTW - Pls post some sightings, or point them if you've posted already, on Oasis. Just like to have a real time look as how an Oasis looks like.
Thanks for the stars.

Its with the culture. Yes, its pretty safe for a woman to walk in the night. The chances of a robbery here would be higher than eve teasing. I will give you an example. When my wife walks around here some men do stare (mostly because of different dress, skin etc; they know she is a foreigner) but if you give them a glance he wont look back in your direction again. The stares here are mostly of the kind of seeing something different than seeing a desirable object.

There are very rare cases of rape/eve teasing here. People here are very hospitable and friendly. Unfortunately, all rouges are related to tourism viz taxi driver, guides etc.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
There are very rare cases of rape/eve teasing here. People here are very hospitable and friendly. Unfortunately, all rouges are related to tourism viz taxi driver, guides etc.
Hope the laws are strict; but I don't see that in road sense & that's what is confusing me. Appreciate some lights on this. Tks.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:20   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope the laws are strict; but I don't see that in road sense & that's what is confusing me. Appreciate some lights on this. Tks.
The road sense is very much there where ever the traffic police is there. But they can not be every where.

We may have problem in crossing the road or driving but an Egyptian does not have any problem. He is brought up in that environment. Let me tell you inspite of the traffic indiscipline the accident rate is lower than in India.

Overall the crime rate is very low. Police has lots of power which has led to corruption too. But it has at least ensured a strict discipline. Tourism is a main contributor to the Egypt's economy. They can not take chances with tourism going down because of crime rate or terrorism.

To add, Egypt is an autocracy. The elections are a big show off. Same president (previous Air chief) for 29 years. Secondly, they have compulsory military service. So, almost all the young people have served in the armed forces for at least an year. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the lower crime rate.

In any case, the point of importance here is that the crime do exist but crime with a women is rare.
Old 5th July 2010, 00:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Default Ismailia

Ok guys. I am going to Ismailia tomorrow. The city is famous as canal city and biggest of the three (Port Said, Suways/Suez and Ismailia). It was established by Khedive Ismail and named after him. Distance from Cairo about 140km.

Vehicle booked with Nabeel (same tour operator as before) for LE 400 + Baksheesh to driver. We leave at 8AM. Drive likely to be one and half hours one way. We are likely to return by late evening.

Preparing the bags now...
Old 5th July 2010, 00:51   #132
Senior - BHPian

@Taurean - I simply refused to believe your statement & went ahead to check the stats & I was blown away!!! Just look at the stats; I'm left with a mixed feeling of guilt, embarassment, ashamed & frustration!!!
Murders (most recent) by country

Compare this with the number of cops
You're right on Egypt. Sorry to have gone a little OT

Last edited by aargee : 5th July 2010 at 00:54.
Old 5th July 2010, 01:03   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Taurean - I simply refused to believe your statement & went ahead to check the stats & I was blown away!!! Just look at the stats; I'm left with a mixed feeling of guilt, embarassment, ashamed & frustration!!!
Murders (most recent) by country

You're right on Egypt. Sorry to have gone a little OT
Not at all. But I too feel pain when I hear about my country. But thats the truth. We have a major incident (bomb blast types) every year or every two years. A normal "blast and 5 people killed" does not unnerve us now-a- days. It all seems so normal.

There was one major terrorist attack in 1997 on tourists in Egypt in which 60 tourists were killed. Thereafter not a single terrorist incident has happened. Like I told you the other day, when my vehicle broke down a Tourist Policeman was sitting with us for a good amount of time. They take special care of tourists and foreigners. There has been emergency law in place since 29 years to check terrorism and drugs. This law was extended for another 2 years recently. It did attract criticism from world community.

We are planning our national ID now. Here its in vogue since a long time. When someone asks me my national ID and I show him voter ID he is confused. When I tell him we dont have a national ID, he does not believe me. So, for me my passport serves as my ID.
Old 5th July 2010, 10:51   #134
BHPian

Great thread here TaureanBull.
This thread will surely be helpful for any TBHPian planning to visit Egypt.
Glad to know that it is a very safe place.
How do you rate the roads there in Egypt? Are they better than what we have in India?
_raviShankar_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:05   #135
BHPian

Thank you for wonderfully capturing the history of Egypt and opening the doors for us to see inside the pyramids. It sure is an eye-opener.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote