Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st June 2010, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Default One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.

Myself,Wifey & 3 of our school mates were dying for a break from our monotonous lifes & this last weekend we could no longer bear the usual chores of our lifes and we decided to hit the road.Few google searches & suggestions lead us to Muthathi Forest & Mekedatu.

Muthathi is a quite little village in the midst of a reserved forest, 98 Kms from Bangalore. It is also known as the “Elephant Corridor” as it has one of the highest densities of wild elephants in the country. It is famous for river Kaveri, the wild animals, and the breathtaking views .

Muthathi is situated ahead of kanakpura.After kanakpura we have to head towards a small village called sathanur which is around 18 kms from kanakpura from this village there is a road whcih leads to Mutahthi & another one which leads to mekedatu.

The climate was awesome during our travel with no sun at all & some slight drizzle in between made the trip all the more enjoyable.
We started of around 7:00 in the morning picking up people from Domulur & Silik board ,we proceeded towards Muthathi.On our way just after Art oF living ashram we saw a newly built temple which attracted us becasue of its huge statues.This temple was on the udayapura -kanakpura main road.

After spending some time here we proceeded towards Mutahthi.We reached Mutahthi around 10:00 & stopped near cauvery river for our breakfast.We spent enough time by the banks of cauvery.We got some surprise visitors too while we were taking our breakfast.

After breakfast we entered the forest range by paying 50 bucks for god knows what.& then we drove almost 5-6 kms inside the jungle.While coming back we were lucky enough to spot 30-40 spotted deers near a hillside.we managed to click some pics but our quest of getting more pictures forced us to get out of our car & go near them that scared the animal which fled away in no time.

We remained there for couple more minutes thinking that some of them may return but then no one came & we went from there after clickng few pics.

After this we drove back to Sathnur and on our way back stopped at a feild for some pics..

After reachng sathnur we took the road which goes to Mekedatu.It was roughly around 25 kms away & in between we lost one diversion which made the overall journey a little longer but it was very good climate with intermediate rains.
‘Mekedatu’ is the place where the Kaveri (Cauvery) River flows through a narrow ravine. Legend has it that the channel was so narrow that sheep would jump across, and hence the name Mekedatu (Meke = sheep/goat, datu = cross in Kannada).
After around 20 kms we reach sangam & have to park our cars there.The next 4-5 kms we have to either trek or go by govt provided transport to reach mekedtau.We opted for a jeep drive for a price of 400 bucks & enjoyed it a lot .

We spent some time taking snaps there & returned back to sangam after 20-30 minutes

Crossing the river @ sangam was fun & i was very reluctant to step into the water for the fear of ruining my car seats.We did not carry any extra clothes & that was one of the greatest mistakes.As luck would have it two times i fell on my face & got completely wet.I stayed away from clicking any pics here for the fear getting my cam wet & the only thing i shot was

Around 4:30 pm we started our journey back,after drying ourselves for some time .

During our way back my car sped over a chameleon but luckily i was able to get it through the middle of the tyres & later that posed for me & gave some real good pics..

We reached back bangalore around 7:30 thanks to the heavy traffic en route & stopped over at Dhabba near HSR for a heavy Dinner.
The trip had exhausted us & the moment i stepped in my home i was lying on my bed snoring.
The Roads were excellent for the entire strecth.Only problem was at kanakpura were road widening was happening.Apart from that the entire stretch was laid with beautiful roads.
shreehari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 13:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice day trip with the sun playing hide and seek. The temple that you spoke about, is it the same place which has the huge pyramid?
(Looks like not. Else you would have taken a snap? Did you spot this pyramid on the way?)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice for a one day getaway. Could you please post more details on time taken and road conditions which would be helpful for others.

Last edited by jacs : 21st June 2010 at 14:11.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice day trip with the sun playing hide and seek. The temple that you spoke about, is it the same place which has the huge pyramid?
(Looks like not. Else you would have taken a snap? Did you spot this pyramid on the way?)
@Ampere: No this is not that temple. The pyramid is still further down the road towards Kanakpura, you have to take a left detour for the same. The temple in post is a small one, it’s just after Art of living campus on the left side.
I guess smartcat has posted about the pyramid in his 1lac travelogue (mentioning the same since I have seen you on that travelogue too)
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Harish,
Looks like a wonderful day spent with family and friends.
Liked the first pic a lot. Pic of the chameleon has come out good too.
by the way which car were you driving ? put more more pics if you have.
Your writing is very crisp and to the point.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 14:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pics there. The place is looking very very green. The rains play magic on the landscape especially in the hilly regions.

Monsooned chameleon?
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 15:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Nice for a one day getaway. Could you please post more details on time taken and road conditions which would be helpful for others.
The time taken was around 3 hours from Marthahalli to Muthathi.The drive was very pleasant with rain playing hide & seek with us all the way & also the road conditions were very good,only exception was the road widening happening at kanakpura.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Harish,
Looks like a wonderful day spent with family and friends.
Liked the first pic a lot. Pic of the chameleon has come out good too.
by the way which car were you driving ? put more more pics if you have.
Your writing is very crisp and to the point.

I drive Getz Crdi.This car has been an perfect companion for more than 2 years now.

This is my Ride..

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-img_4005.jpg

Some more pics from the trip..

and some more pics shot by my wife .

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-blue-sky.jpg

While driving from sathanur to muthathi ,expect this on road.

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-cattles-road.jpg

This one was shot while we were taking breakfast by the banks of the river..

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-cauvery-river-bank.jpg

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-milestone.jpg

This is the 4*4 which took us from sangam to mekedatu..it was an awesome experience..

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-jeep.jpg

at mekedatu

One day getaway from Bangalore--Muthathi & Mekedatu Trip.-mekedatu.jpg
Old 21st June 2010, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nodoubt you enjoyed the drive, CRDi has more horses to make you happy more than that of the diesel economy.

Thanks for the reply with time and road condition.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 16:21   #10
BHPian

There used to be a bus which taked people from the river to mekedattu. Its a funride. And you can sit on top pf the bus even.

Hope that is still in service.
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 16:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Here are my share of Mekedatu snaps. Posted in another thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1658218 (Day trip - Bangalore - Mekedatu - Bangalore)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Harish - these two places are indeed a good destination for a one day ride. Hope you didnt encounter too many people at Mutatthi. There are people who are invariably drunk and cause trouble.

I remember having a close shave ( 80 metres or so ) with a Croc when i entered the waters at this place. This was about 3 months back. Did you get to spot the crocs in the river ?
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
There used to be a bus which taked people from the river to mekedattu. Its a funride. And you can sit on top pf the bus even.

Yes that bus is still in service.and a ride on top of the bus is definitely fun.

& also I am really amazed at the skills of these drivers.Driving a bus in that terrain should be one hell of a task.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post

Yes, Arun. Didnt see anyone travelling on top of the bus, but its very much in service. Infact we saw some three buses there. Per head rate for two and fro bus travel is Rs 40 per head. We had opted for jeep instead though, they charge Rs 80 per head for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes Ampere, infact we were first planning for a two day trip to BR hills / Ooty. Somethings didnt go as per plans and we ended up looking for a one day trip and came across the link you mentioned.
It was after getting details from that link that we planned this trip.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 17:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Harish - these two places are indeed a good destination for a one day ride. Hope you didnt encounter too many people at Mutatthi. There are people who are invariably drunk and cause trouble.

I remember having a close shave ( 80 metres or so ) with a Croc when i entered the waters at this place. This was about 3 months back. Did you get to spot the crocs in the river ?

Mutathi Was not much crowded but that was not the same with Mekedatu.This place was overcrowded to say the least.

No we didn't spot any crocs,and frankly we were not aware that there could be crocs in there..just can't imagine that situation.