Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th June 2010, 18:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Depiction of Beauty

Here are some pics of a girl with some ornaments and postures to attract men. The beauty has been carved out with detail. What interests people can be seen from the statues.

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-1.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-2.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-3.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-4.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-5.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-6.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-1-7.jpg
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 19:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Some Deity Statues

Here are some statues of the deity. Each temple is dedicated to a deity and has the main statue is in the GribhGrih. However, all sides of the temples have a statue of a deity in the centre.

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-1.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-2.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-3.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-4.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-5.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-2-8.jpg
Old 27th June 2010, 22:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Some More Pics

More pictures from a different angle. Picture of Nandi from Nandi mandap and Shiv ling.

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05448.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05449.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05451.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05452.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05453.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05461.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05465.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05471.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05476.jpg
Old 27th June 2010, 23:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here is some more information on the temples and last set of pictures from the Khajuraho.
Attached Thumbnails
Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05612.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05615.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05652.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05681.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05682.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05619.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05621.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05622.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05624.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05631.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05657.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05660.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05667.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05693.jpg  

Old 27th June 2010, 23:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Panna Tiger Reserve

Second day was planned for Panna Tiger Reserve but we made few mistakes :-

1. I went there taking my sweet time in the morning at 9AM. A big mistake if one wants to see the wildlife esp this being summers.

2. It was a wrong time of the year to explore this area as you would realise from the few pics. All vegetation dry.

However, there was a good decision I made, that was to hire a Gypsy instead of taking own car, as there was no spare tire and getting a puncture inside jungle would have been disastrous. Later on I realised deep inside the jungle the tracks were rocky and a high GC vehicle was required. Rs 900/- for the vehicle for a three hour safari and a free guide.

It is about 57 kms from Khajuraho and road is just average. There was only one tigress which was being tracked by the sensors and that day happened to be far away.

Imp : The ticket is to be bought from a counter about a Km before the main gate of the Reserve which can easily be missed and we did.
Old 27th June 2010, 23:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

These are what I spotted. No birds or any other animal. A good dog or cat even missed us. Especially daughter was extremely disappointed since we had painted a very rosy picture to her the previous day. There was an elephant which could be hired for a ride. Nice. But came to know she was pregnant and in the last stages so no ride.

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05488.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05490.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05491.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05494.jpg

Ken river flows through the Tiger Reserve. Entire wildlife depends on this river for survival. There was a boat ride (face saving) for half an hour where we spotted these..

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05517.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05523.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05524.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05529.jpg

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05535.jpg
Old 28th June 2010, 00:19   #22
BHPian

You shoud have drove to Kanha National Park.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 00:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Pandav Falls

Extremely disappointed from the Panna Tiger Reserve (all because of our fault) we moved another 10 kms ahead to the Pandav Falls. The drive was good and between the forest area. We drove 500m off road to reach the place. Parked the car and climbed down the stairs to the Pandav Falls.

It is believed that the Pandavs spent some time of their exile at this place. Water drips from the roots of the trees which are on top and few of their roots hanging down. Its a year around waterfall. There are caves in the rock face with air blowing through the waterfall and creating a cooling effect. A very good break in the scorching heat. The pond in the centre has lots of fish but fishing is prohibited. It is said that Draupadi used to take bath in this pond. The water of the pond is replenished by the water from the roots as well as from a distributary of Ken river. A wonderful place.

After spending few hours we left for Khajuraho and rested in the hotel. Next day early morning we left for Jhansi.

The Pond

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05553.jpg

The buildings on the left are the caves which has construction to protect them and provide a safe passage inside. The water seen around is from the roots.

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05554.jpg

Fishes in the Pond

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05567.jpg

Water Falling from the Roots

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05594.jpg

The small stream of water is from Ken river and it is pretty huge during monsoons (seen the pics).

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05601.jpg
Old 30th June 2010, 12:52   #24
lsp
BHPian

Lovely pics there man!!

I've heard many stories about why these erotic sculptures were carved. the most common or believable one is - to please Lord Indra, who was quite a voyeur as we learn from mythology, hoping that he would not disrupt the construction work or protect the temple. Also something on the lines of the construction workers, being away from their families for so long , created them for their own pleasure/amusement.

Also, at times we are told or discover things about such places which are not given in travel books/guides. If you have any such information, please do share.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 19:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
You shoud have drove to Kanha National Park.
Yeah. But you see it was on a different route. It was a package planned for Khajuraho and Panna. (Panna being just 55 kms from khajuraho). If I plan to go to only a national park in future I will plan it there for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Lovely pics there man!!

I've heard many stories about why these erotic sculptures were carved. the most common or believable one is - to please Lord Indra, who was quite a voyeur as we learn from mythology, hoping that he would not disrupt the construction work or protect the temple. Also something on the lines of the construction workers, being away from their families for so long , created them for their own pleasure/amusement.

Also, at times we are told or discover things about such places which are not given in travel books/guides. If you have any such information, please do share.
Well..to be frank I did not hear any of the above story what you have told. Surprisingly there is no clear cut reason given out in the light and sound show too. The practical theory which has been pointed out is that the male students used to live a life of a Brahmachari till they marry at a later stage, so it provided as a platform to acquaint them with the sexual pleasures.

The surprising fact is not that this question has not been answered satisfactorily now but the fact that 85 of these temples were built in a short span of 100 years. It means that a huge number of sculptors and workers were involved. The second interesting fact is that Khajuraho even at that time was not the capital or the living place of kings or even a city. The kings used to visit this period for a specific period and specific purpose. So why built a beautiful temple with enormous manpower if it would stay in wilderness?? There are such many questions which needs to be answered.

About the information if you want to ask anything specific do let me know. The place is small. Just 4-5 decent hotels. Not even as big as a town. It has an airport though. There is a State museum of folk and art. The western group of temples lie in a very well maintained garden. The food and accommodation are priced good. October to March is a good season to visit. There is a direct train from New Delhi.

Other places to visit are Raneh Falls, Benisagar Dam, Ranguan Lake and Rajgarh Palace. Out of them I just went to Raneh Falls.

I would say that this place has very less tourists and lots of area to explore.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Raneh Falls

Its actually just about 11 kms from Khajuraho. But we tried to go from a different route from the highway. The arrow showed 18 kms. To tell you that it was some great offroading..No road at places even track disappearing. Later on we learnt about the other route. Why dont men ask directions?

Raneh Fall is called as the mini Niagra. It gives a view like Niagra falls in the monsoons and months after that. It is located on the Ken river. The stone are likely to have been created because of a volcano or burst from under earth. The granite here have colours like pink, red, white, grey and green. The portions of each colour can be seen separately. It was a disappointment for me again as there was hardly any water.

The famous spot is a well in the corner of the waterfall. Rekha was picturised in film UTSAV taking bath in it. Now a days its prohibited to track down to the bottom of the rock cutting.
Attached Thumbnails
Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05316.jpg  

Memoirs of Khajuraho, Panna and Orcha : Photologue-dsc05317.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2010, 15:23   #27
BHPian

I read this sometime ago but could not comment, awaiting approval of my membership.

Having spent a lot of my childhood in Jhansi, I have been to most of the places you have mentioned here. Trust me, summers are the worst time to be here. And incidently, during monsoons even Jhansi can give a lot of tourist places a run for their money. You must plan another visit there when it had rained for a month or so. Orchha would be a treat to your eyes and so are the other about 8 small and big dam around Jhansi.
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
I read this sometime ago but could not comment, awaiting approval of my membership.

Having spent a lot of my childhood in Jhansi, I have been to most of the places you have mentioned here. Trust me, summers are the worst time to be here. And incidently, during monsoons even Jhansi can give a lot of tourist places a run for their money. You must plan another visit there when it had rained for a month or so. Orchha would be a treat to your eyes and so are the other about 8 small and big dam around Jhansi.
yes. Thats true. BTW I have spent some good amount of time in Jhansi and around. Sukhma-Dukhma dam can be a delight so does the Orcha river and Reserve Forest. Even Chatarpur can be a good outing.