Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th July 2010, 15:52   #136
BHPian

This is to Thank MX6, Gansan, ampere and you all

For sharing such proud moments of our shared history.

We just went pass Trichendure in dark, and now I come to know how important historically, it's been! Anyway, on this 1st trip, we picked only very common/popular touristy places, as even they were not seen by us.

BUT, for us, Both, the east and west coasts, remain to be explored and seen. It'll take several trips to see all those places, so rich in both the history and culture. BTW, till that happens, virtual tours, like this, will give at least some solace . So thanks MX and Gansan, again.

And not the least, that shot of sea with clouds in the sky was brillient.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th July 2010 at 15:59.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:28   #137
BHPian

Back to story:

AT Kanyakumari

As we entered KK city, Hotel staffs were standing on road, waving to stop and offering hotel rooms of all kinds! So no prizes to guess that it was indeed off season recession in operation. We stopped at 1-2 , inquired, then finally not wasting much time checked in one Hotel New Capetown (Not in South Africa, though!), but just in-front of KK railway station on main road. They gave a non-AC room for Rs. 600 only, that too with extra bed for our son! It was a small hotel compared to some big ones like Sea View, Hill view, etc..But, served our purpose. They have space for 3-4 cars infront of Hotel. Had some Masala Dosa that Hotel man brought from nearby restaurant and we were satisfied with our day's progress.

Day 8: Exploring KK

In the morning, a tourist operator came to our room explained his package of taking us in a bus from Hotel at 9.30 to Suchindram temple, one other temple, one Vattakul, Vivekanand Pictorial exhibition, etc, and drop at Boat house by lunch time for taking ferry and temple darshan.

Though initially reluctant, we took this package for Rs. 100/- p/head. I though it'd save time rather then taking Tigres to each place and asking route etc. So, by 2 pm we finished these spots in a group with other tourists. had good lunch at a veg. restaurant near boat house, roamed around for a while, and then went for boat/ferry ride to Vivekananda memorial. Spent lot of time there, enjoyed being there, views of roaring sea were great.

On return, had some juices and got back to Hotel room. Had some rest and coffee, and proceeded for famous sunset. Sunset views were very pleasing. Returned, had darshan at KK devi temple, spent some time on beach, though it was dark and sea's sound was thundering, still our son wanted, so I accompanied him standing there at sea shore, enjoying that pleasing breeze and listening to that thunderous sound. Did some shopping (though I had strict instructions for only taking token souvenirs or some very specific small items! and NOT indulge in routine touristy shopping-whopping!, or else, I wasn't even carrying laptop and net connection, so as to put up a 'contribution required for return journey' thread on T-BHP ).
Finally, had dinner at same restaurant, and returned to Hotel, satisfied with the way our day was spent.

Now pics...and more pics will follow.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th July 2010 at 16:30.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:41   #138
MX6
Senior - BHPian

So did you check out the big hanuman at suchindram? And the Shiva, vishnu and brahma?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:07   #139
BHPian

Day 8

Photographs KK sight-seeing

They cover our Hotel, Temple, Vattakuntal and views of sea from Vattakuntal

PS: Our Hotel was New Cape, not New Capetown as I wrote in earlier post! May be FIFA worldcup fever got into my mind when typing that post!
Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th July 2010 at 17:11.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:25   #140
adc
Senior - BHPian

Great trip log LDL. And you have captured the sights and sounds very well all along the journey. Will be closely following the rest of the travel story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hope one day Black Tigress will have a date with The Magnificent Tourer.
Surely one day, may be sometime next year plan to go towards Kumaon through Lucknow or if you come this side, let me know.

Last edited by adc : 7th July 2010 at 17:45.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 17:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Great trip log LDL. And you have captured the sights and sounds very well all along the journey. Will be closely following the rest of the travel story.
Thanks dada.

People like you who go on making roads in terrains, where none exists; inspire others. We only went on great NHAI highways . Hope one day Black Tigress will have a date with The Magnificent Tourer.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:37   #142
BHPian

Day 8 continues..

KK Photos - Vivekanand Pictorial Exhibition

It was soothing to someone like me who have special respect to the Man and his words.
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 18:09   #143
BHPian

Day 8 continues..

KK Photos -
Visit to Vivekanand Rock Memorial
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 18:18   #144
BHPian

Day 8 continues..

KK Photos -Sunset Point and The Sunset..
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 18:18   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Day 8

Photographs KK sight-seeing

They cover our Hotel, Temple, Vattakuntal and views of sea from Vattakuntal
Hi LDL, did you mean Vatta (Circular) Kottai (Fort) ?

A few pictures for you from Vatta Kottai and Kanyakumari. Hope you would like it.

These were taken in two different trips - The bluish clear sea and sky from the drive on 01.05.2010, and the cloudy sky and muddy waters from the second trip on 12.06.2010, just when the monsoon started.

I was Civving on both the occassions - never wrote about those trips, but your trip made me relive it

Sea at its best in Kanya Kumari
Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  170.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  182.7 KB

The Vivekanada Rock and the Thiruvalluvar Statue. The sea is clear.
Name:  IMG_0311.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  154.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0312.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  123.7 KB

Just after the monsoon, cloudy skies and muddy waters
Name:  DSC_0316.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  100.1 KB

Civvy looking on!
Name:  DSC_0312.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  162.2 KB

PPG at Vatta Kottai
Name:  DSC_0131.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  198.6 KB

The beach at Vatta Kottai
Name:  DSC_0283.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  148.2 KB

A special mention to NH7. See it, Drive it, Enjoy it!!
Name:  DSC_0054.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  160.0 KB

Now you know why it is not Swifted but Civved to these parts On Both occassions Bangalore Kanyakumari was done in under 8 hours.

Last edited by laluks : 7th July 2010 at 18:20.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 18:24   #146
BHPian

Day 8 continues..

KK Photos -A Black Tigress at Sunset Point!

I can bear my photo not being taken, but not of the Tigress!I made sure that her pic at the important location was taken, after all isn't her effort a herculean one! to take us all there safely & comfortably on this dream trip!
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 18:28   #147
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed Vattakottai and not vattakuntal as LDL had earlier stated.
the ppg at vattakottai photo reminded me of the white tree of gondor!
Old 7th July 2010, 18:34   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi LDL, did you mean Vatta (Circular) Kottai (Fort) ?
A few pictures for you from Vatta Kottai and Kanyakumari. Hope you would like it.
These were taken in two different trips - The bluish clear sea and sky from the drive on 01.05.2010, and the cloudy sky and muddy waters from the second trip on 12.06.2010, just when the monsoon started.
First things first. My apologies for not pronouncing (read writing) the name correctly.

Thanks Laluk. Yes, it was the same fort. We were there on June 18, 2010 and the water has become even muddier then June 12. Our kids also played around in that area where you have shown PPG.

And those SLR pics of sea are mind-blowing, but, why you needed a poor chap LDL to provoke (with such poor quality point & shoot pics), to bring this treasure of quality material out of shelf?
BLR-KK in under 8 hrs!! WOW, shows the power and handling of a quality luxury sedan! That's why I never try to catch-up with those machines. They'll take up a sharp turn smoothly at 140+ which if we SUv-walahas try, we'll land up far away in the deep trench!

BTW. enjoyed those pics very much.Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th July 2010 at 18:41.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:44   #149
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That is his way of showing he is loving your logue LDL!

I post information about those places due to same reason. Because I'm loving your log. Incidentally, Kanyakumari was a part of Kerala and Periyar (yes the wild life sanctuary) was a part of TN earlier.
Kamraj (I believe) wanted to annexe KK and NJC to TN due to heavy presence of Nadars. So he gave Periyar in exchange to KK and NJC.
DMK govt went up and put the Tiruvalluvar statue on the rock to make it completely Tamil! They gave fresh waters of periyar for salt water of kanyakumari and are now waiting for Kaveri waters for irrigation!

I don't find photos of Gandhi Mantapa. The ashes of the Mahatma are there! You gave it a skip is it?
And incidentally Swami Vivekananda used to swim to the rock and meditate there for hours together. Strong tides and currents didn't deter or even bother him. Hence the name Vivekananda rock. No Tiruvalluvar didn't swim to the other rock. He is supposed to have lived in Mylapore in Chennai.

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 18:46.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:55   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That is his way of showing he is loving your logue LDL!

I post information about those places due to same reason. Because I'm loving your log. Incidentally, Kanyakumari was a part of Kerala and Periyar (yes the wild life sanctuary) was a part of TN earlier.
Kamraj (I believe) wanted to annexe KK and NJC to TN due to heavy presence of Nadars. So he gave Periyar in exchange to KK and NJC.
DMK govt went up and put the Tiruvalluvar statue on the rock to make it completely Tamil! They gave fresh waters of periyar for salt water of kanyakumari and are now waiting for Kaveri waters for irrigation!

I don't find photos of Gandhi Mantapa. The ashes of the Mahatma are there! You gave it a skip is it?
And incidentally Swami Vivekananda used to swim to the rock and meditate there for hours together. Strong tides and currents didn't deter or even bother him. Hence the name Vivekananda rock. No Tiruvalluvar didn't swim to the other rock. He is supposed to have lived in Mylapore in Chennai.
Very good knowledge again this. Thanks

I think, we visited Gandhi Mantapa. It is on opposite side of that Hall on Vivekananda memorial rock and silence is to be maintained there! It was very soothing. Photography was not to be done inside, but, we took few pics from outside, but they were blurred. Am I talking about the same thing? May be wrong as we visited so many places, so sometimes, a 'Khichdi' of names/places/hotels/incidents, etc, etc is possible.

I am posting one long shot, pl tell is it the Gandhi Mantapa
Attached Images