Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th July 2010, 12:12   #166
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Ok Ok. I think we all understand that none of us mean any politics here. So, let's say, All is well!
Yes sir. Anyway, I've reported my own post to Mods and asked them to fix it.

And we are eagerly waiting for your west coast part to unfold. The soaking in heaven part!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 12:54   #167
BHPian

Day 9 continues..

Journey to Munnar.

As we went closer and closer to Munnar, it kept getting foggier, and at times, visibility became very very low. Also got drizzles at few points. All in all, glimpses of the things to come. I wanted to reach Munnar soon as if it gets dark, visibility was bound to get even lower! However, the weather got a bit clear as we reached Devikulam. So, our anxiety also eased out.

We saw a couple of vehicles stopped on side and few people on a spot. It was a waterfall. Can't remember, if it was before or after Devikulam. It was past 6pm, so we didn't stop, as we wanted to reach Munnar and take hotel first, and leave sight-seeing for next day, as if it starts raining heavily (as was expected in monsoon season), we could be in trouble, being there first time.

Reached Munnar 6.35 pm. Now, search for hotel started. A well behaving young shopkeeper advised me to park the car anywhere outside the white line on the road. So, that solved my most immediate problem. I parked, searched hotels, was carrying a printout of long list of Munnar Hotels from T-BHPian mjothi's Munnar thread. Finally, I called Hotel Green View's owner Mr. Deepak (same hotel where mjothi had stayed). It was discount time1 I got same room at half of the price what mjothi had payed 2 yrs ago! hanks to the off season. Thanks mjothi for providing all that useful info in your travelogue.It is a small hotel with small parking in a narrow street on Cochin road, but good clean rooms and nice people they are.

Parking Tigress in drizzling weather and unloading luggage was a lil troublesome, but, we were happy to be in room. After some rest got guidance from Hotel, took an auto and went for dinner in a pure veg restaurant towards main city. And got good veg north-Indian dinner. That Anpoorna Pure Veg Restaurant (no relation with that famous CBE Anpoorna, though) was very good. This one was owned by Rajasthani/Marwadi people. All our meals in Munnar were from there.

Munnar sight seeing with loads of pics coming up... We enjoyed there so much that even in such a hectic trip, we extended our stay by one more night there!
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:21   #168
Team-BHP Support

The other place near KK which may be worth a visit is the Kudankulam nuclear power plant. Somewhat Off, but still if one has the permits, its a good place. There are two 1000 MW units coming up there.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 13:47   #169
BHPian

Munnar.. Lot of old memories rushing in. We were in Munnar for one week of Exhibition from our college during the Munnar tourism week. Stay in the govt school, sleeping on the benches, roaming around in an open MM540 and travel back to Chalakudy on top of a HT2 trainer aircraft loaded in the back of a truck! Those were the days!
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 15:03   #170
BHPian

Day 10:

Exploring Munnar

We were apprehensive about the weather. Though not worried about getting soaked in rains as much as the scary thought of missing those great green valley views. Deepak told, it'll depend on your luck. It may rain heavily during this time, but, seeing the current pattern, you'll get clear weather at least in 1st half of the day.

With a list of places to be seen and general directions on what is on which road, and how to approach them, provided by the Hotel; we started our day with good Aloo paranthas & curd at same restaurant. But, our daughter will take only two items whole trip, Masala dosa (but w/o masala!, but, No, plain dosa won't do!) and ice-creams!Anyway, with kids, chocklets are not even to be counted.

The staff at that restaurant became so familiar with our daughter from the very first dinner visit, that some of them were playing run & find with her, thanks to the off-season again, that they had all the time in this world to indulge in all this!Else, there could have been Qs even for us to get a table!

Mettupatti dam direction

Our 1st stop was Kerala Horticulture Dept Flower Exhibition.
Seeing a variety of flowers, spent quite a lot of time there, and took snaps,and it set the tone for a great day ahead. Weather was clear/bright sunshine!

To break the monotony of the text, snaps from this spot will follow now..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 8th July 2010 at 15:11.
Old 8th July 2010, 15:32   #171
BHPian

Day 10: Pics.

Climbing up Munnar hills

Attached Images

Old 8th July 2010, 15:53   #172
Team-BHP Support

The hill terrains look very similar to the Kodai hills at the start.
(Quite obvious, as its the same terrain)
Old 8th July 2010, 16:08   #173
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The hill terrains look very similar to the Kodai hills at the start.
(Quite obvious, as its the same terrain)
The photo showing the Autorickshaw shows that it's TN side. Only TN and Ap autos are yellow.
What was the route you took from KK to Munnar LDL?
Old 8th July 2010, 16:19   #174
Team-BHP Support

I think he went all the way to Madurai BP, Theni-Bodi-Devikulam.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:46   #175
BHPian

Wow!! Excellent Travelogue so and I am hooked. Dont know how I missed this and also your planning thread. Could have met you . I guess the most beautiful parts are about to come.

MX6, some serious knowledge you have man. If any time you are planning a trip down south, let me know. Would love to join and my Mom would be most interested to meet you. She is also very interested in whatever you had talked about earlier and yeah, she is a big fan of Thiruvilaiyadal
KRRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 16:55   #176
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the compliments KRRaj. I'd love to meet you all too in bangalore. But my next long trip is up north. Kashi to be precise. So planning going on in full swing. I might have a weekend trip to Udupi in August though.

LDL. You left us hanging there. We are eagerly waiting to see snaps of you people soaked in heaven!
Old 8th July 2010, 18:06   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Wow!! Excellent Travelogue so and I am hooked. Dont know how I missed this and also your planning thread. Could have met you . I guess the most beautiful parts are about to come.
Thanks KRR. Yes, more is coming now. Had to move out for some work, back now.

MX. As said by ampere, We took KK -Madurai-Theni-Devikulam-Munnar route. though during BLR meet with ampere, he has told us that there is some shorter alternate route that diverts somewhere from T'veli and reaches to Bodi. But, we didn't inquire about that as we had to visit Meenakshi Temple at Madurai.

And this also gave me opportunity to traverse through most of the longest NH of India. Yes, just approx 250 kms of NH7 is left to be seen for me! Have driven on NH7 from Mangavan (between Rewa and Varansi) to KK! Will write a separate update on it in route query thread.

Yes, pics coming up now..
Old 8th July 2010, 18:41   #178
BHPian

At Floriculture center, Munnar
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2010, 18:48   #179
BHPian

More of Floriculture center, Munnar
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2010, 18:56   #180
Senior - BHPian

This Floriculture Centre seems to be a nice place.

BTW what qualifies as a still camera and what as a professional camera? I mean how do they decide how much to charge. For pro cam its Rs 500/-!!!
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote