Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd July 2010, 17:43   #271
BHPian

Wow, Firstly driving for so many days and then writing about it all. You are such a dedicated man. Writing the complete story takes a lot of patience and the perseverance. I had a blast reading through all pages. The discussions between the Gurus (I donít have to name them, lol) and the gyan shared is tremendous. Didnít knew many of the things even though I studied from Karnataka and had (have) quite a few Tamil, Karalite and local friends.

Congratulations on your trip. Now plan a similar one towards north.
sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:18   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Wow, Firstly driving for so many days and then writing about it all. You are such a dedicated man. Writing the complete story takes a lot of patience and the perseverance. I had a blast reading through all pages. The discussions between the Gurus (I don’t have to name them, lol) and the gyan shared is tremendous. Didn’t knew many of the things even though I studied from Karnataka and had (have) quite a few Tamil, Karalite and local friends.

Congratulations on your trip. Now plan a similar one towards north.
Thanks a ton for all this praise. Yes, it required patience, and it came from the passion. Believe me, it all went through like small thing in the end! Even after doing this, we didn't feel how big this trip was! Writing, off course, requires more perseverance then driving .

And yes, I have had, and still have, several friends from southern states and like them. Yes, a trip northward is required now, before, next installment of our 'explore beautiful south mission' comes up! Kashmir is in mind! But, not Ladhak at first go.

Rest of the story coming up in morning..

Sorry, ampere and MX bhai..couldn't keep my promise of posting this evening. Yes, our son's contributions in this and previous trips ca't be overemphasized. He was immense help, and yes, is cute too.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 22nd July 2010 at 19:19.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:22   #273
BHPian

Day 12 Ooty sigt-seeing pics continuing..

Views at/from Dolphin's nose
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2010, 19:11   #274
BHPian

Day 12. Our Day at Ooty

Hi All,

I am back with the remaining story.

Our day 12 started amidst very pleasing and comfortably cool weather. After breakfast we first checked the boating in Ooty lake. Just like any other boating experience in a lake at a hill station, it felt nice and soft experience, but the water quality/colour was grossly unimpressive. We all felt good. You have already seen the pics including the 'Kathak on boat'! Our son also tried his hand at the 'Smashing cars' at the boat house, and they all enjoyed a small ride in the toy train.

From there, moved to children's park. It was so so, but served our purpose, daughter enjoyed, son also tried hands at a couple of games on shops there.

When we came out of children's park, the parking guy told he is also a local tourist guy. Again after initial reluctance, we took him along with us (someone from his home has come by then to attend the parking services). He was a nice local person, knew Hindi well, and was a good guide. He explained his plan to cover impt places in remaining of the day. Since he was well versed with the city routes/ streets, driving around also took less time.

First he took us to Coonoor. Stopped en route at a couple of points for valley views (pics already posted), he kept explaining different infrastructure/ facilities onway. Then we had lunch (normal south-Indian meals) at a good veg restaurant. We went to Lams rock view point. The route was nice. It was foggy there, but soon it cleared and we got good deep valley views from there - Mettupalayam city was visible. Tasted masala tea at tea shop, did some natural oils shopping etc, had our stint inside the tea gardens (for photo-session only, lol!).

Moved to Dolphin's nose, traffic and crowd was very thin, compared to what I have read in other TLs, may be due to off season. Views from Dolphin's nose were what we liked most there. Spent quite a time there.

On return, went to Sym's Park. That was very good, really, we felt very short of time there. That park needs few calm hrs just to sit there and let the kids roam/run in the lawns. Liked several things there including very old trees, small boating experience (kids), beautifully maintained flowers, plans, etc. Was difficult to take our daughter out from here. It became dark, by the time we returned from Sym's park.

Then headed to Rose garden in lights. That was also very nice. It became cold at that time, we all took out woolens and caps from the car there.

To complete the show, he took us to the bakery shop (super market). he told this is the famous German bakery! I don't know. Bought chocklets there.

Then it was time for dinner. He took us to a good veg restaurant, can't recall name, but was good. After dinner, we dropped him near Bus Stand and left for our Guest house. He and us, all were satisfied.

Day 13 with more pics coming up tomorrow evening.....Hope to win back your interest and encouragement again..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 24th July 2010 at 19:16.
Old 24th July 2010, 21:52   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
On return, went to Sym's Park. That was very good, really, we felt very short of time there. That park needs few calm hrs just to sit there and let the kids roam/run in the lawns. Liked several things there including very old trees, small boating experience (kids), beautifully maintained flowers, plans, etc. Was difficult to take our daughter out from here. It became dark, by the time we returned from Sym's park.
IMO its SIM's park. Dont you have pics from that place? In addition to some old trees there are some rare trees from all over the world. There is a very small lake and kids park too.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 08:23   #276
Team-BHP Support

I had some real good exercise in SIM's park. Carrying my kid up and down!
Its quite steep.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 10:46   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
IMO its SIM's park. Dont you have pics from that place? In addition to some old trees there are some rare trees from all over the world. There is a very small lake and kids park too.
Yes, all that is correct, TB. We have photos from that beautiful park, shall post today sometime.

@ampere. that's good for health.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:09   #278
BHPian

Bravo! LongDrive lover. You have had a great excursion and in the process reasserted that you are indeed a Long Drive Lover. Good to know that the black tigress was proved to be very trustworthy.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:35   #279
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@TortoiseNHare. Not just him. His whole family are folks who are long drive lovers!
It's a dream of a lifetime. Imagine, in a country so vast as India, two children covering the length and breadth of it by road, interacting with locals, getting exposed to various culture, language, flora, fauna, climate, landscape and what not? He's given them a learning no school history and geography books can.
Now his children can go back and proudly say, "Mera Bharat Mahaan", and when they do, we know that they really mean it without any prejudice!
What say LDL?
And how about hitting the gas pedal in your posts?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:50   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@TortoiseNHare. Not just him. His whole family are folks who are long drive lovers!
It's a dream of a lifetime.
Now his children can go back and proudly say, "Mera Bharat Mahaan", and when they do, we know that they really mean it without any prejudice!
What say LDL?
And how about hitting the gas pedal in your posts?
What else remain to be said when you say it all so nicely! Yes, one thing remains...hitting the gas pedal in posts. Aiming to pic up speed today evening. A lot is remaining in this TL, some of the best parts are yet to come!
Old 26th July 2010, 15:14   #281
BHPian

Dear LDL and all you great BHPians out there my salutes to you all.

Though I have over 2.5 lakh kms in my own vehicles under my belt-I never even in my wildest dreams realised that travelogues could make that interesting reading. Out of this 2.5 lakh i must have done atleast 30K on the Highways-been driving since 1974-highways, on my own, since '85.
You BHPians have again ignited the travel bug in me (driving one-been flying to my holiday destinations-will start driving down to them).
LDL -you have a flair not only for writing but for vivid description-a excellent combination to start writing books on the subject???

Regards,

Colonel J H Mayne
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 18:07   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear LDL and all you great BHPians out there my salutes to you all.

Though I have over 2.5 lakh kms in my own vehicles under my belt-I never even in my wildest dreams realized that travelogues could make that interesting reading. Out of this 2.5 lakh i must have done atleast 30K on the Highways-been driving since 1974-highways, on my own, since '85.
You BHPians have again ignited the travel bug in me (driving one-been flying to my holiday destinations-will start driving down to them).
LDL -you have a flair not only for writing but for vivid description-a excellent combination to start writing books on the subject???
Regards,
Colonel J H Mayne
Colonel Sir,

Great to hear from a veteran, you started driving when most of us were infants! and still many were not even born! Many thanks for such high praise. We really have several great travelers and driving greats on this forum, who inspire, guide and support novice like me. I have just started or to put it in more popular phrase, this driving-traveling bug has just smitten me. Yes, writing requires not just perseverance and patience, but also flair and interest in the subject. Its a quest to relive the experience again and again that fuels this passion to sit back and spend hrs to write the story. I am enjoying it. It makes the experience permanent in our perceptive world. But, me writing a book on the subject!! Oh no, its too much and too early, to say the least! Yes, there are quite a few on this forum who would make a best-selling traveling writer, though.

The best part of your post is that it has ignited the travel bug in you again.

Thanks and regards
Old 27th July 2010, 18:33   #283
BHPian

Day 12 Ooty sigt-seeing pics continuing..

Views at SIM's Park

As I wrote earlier, we enjoyed at SIM'spark. It was very beautifully maintained.Kids had fun, though we were short of time.
Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 27th July 2010 at 18:42.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:03   #284
BHPian

More Views at SIM's Park
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2010, 21:45   #285
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Can see all the adrenaline rush in your kids in the boating session and the play area session! And when they put up boards showing years like 1885, does it mean the tree was planted in 1885? Which makes it over 125 years old? Gosh.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote