Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd July 2010, 19:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

I know about the live blogs! But lets hear the story now. I guessed the lion had to be Mysore zoo! It is awesome one. But lets wait till you get there on the cyber world!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 07:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Subscribed and waiting for the story to unfold!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:42   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Encountering a lion in open is something else. I was 8 feet away from a couple of lions in Gir Jungles. I was ON the ground tried to crouch to take a photo from the best possible angle. Was carrying a Pentax MZ 50 roll SLR (the analogue one), with 35 - 80 mm lens. Yeah. In a way I was trying to kill myself. But then the lions kept calling me back and I went to Gir 6 more times. This was in early 2000!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is quite a drive, LDL. So much of variety, such different driving conditions and you simply drove into the monsoon rains head-on, that was very bold.
Thanks everyone for your encouraging remarks.

Yes, MX6 was the first one to encourage me not to miss Coastal KA due to monsoon fears.

You know what, There is a saying, God helps those who help themselves! We actually got the best of both worlds! - monsoon season exciting conditions, and accompanying discounts , and also just adequate sunshine at all places to get those stunning nature views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I guess this thread is going to be majestic as the pics themselves speak the same. I loved the second pic, simply beautiful!!! The last one, whooo!!! I don't think you clicked him in a cage or did you?

PS - My least contribution to your thread *****
Thanks friend for doing this favour . Happy that you liked the pics. That second pic is of famous Sunset at Kanyakumari, again taken by our point & shoot sony cam.

Story unfolding soon..

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th July 2010 at 20:26. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:07   #20
BHPian

The Journey begins:

I think I'll skip the preparation part as we all know what it all means for such a long trip. Like to point out a couple of specific points, though:

1. I got a luggage carrier fitted on our Safari - the idea was to fix major luggage on roof top, so as to fold the middle seat and make the whole back spacious compartment a rest room for wife and daughter. This arrangement was thought to be required for to-& fro long drives.

2. Choosing cloths for 20 days on a trip that'll require cloths for all seasons - summer, mild cold (hills) and rains, was tough. More so because we have no scope to get a few washed and reused during the trip. It was so packed.

So, after routine preparations, including vehicle routine 3rd (15k) service, we set the target to start on June 11 at 3pm, at least from home to Chhatarpur, MP for night halt. It is roughly 285 kms, includes some bad roads on NH86 (Kanpur-Hamirpur-Mahoba-Chhatarpur). I have been to this route in Oct 2009 during our Khajuraho trip. I knew it'll take 7 hrs due to bad roads.

However, I couldn't come on time, as planned, from office, and we could start only at 5pm from home! So our target of reaching C'pur at 10 got pushed to 12 midnight.

Thanks to HVK sir, we had contact number and good review of Hotel Chhatarpur Reagency there. I called there at around 7.30 pm and informed that we'll reach at midnight and want a room. They noted our details and confirmed.

As expected, there were mixed feelings, of embarking on such a long dream trip, of all uncertainties that are bound to be associated with such trips, sply when I was the lone adult male. This was my idea that with such support from T-bhp friends, loaded with all this info, and my passion to drive this vehicle, we can easily do this. Off course, wife was a bit concerned, as if anything untoward happens, everybody is going to laugh at our woes, for taking such passionate decisions. But, her confidence in my ability to drive and all the talking that I have been doing about T-BHP and other's experiences, gave her the required confidence. Our son was excited and made sure that he had all the songs/CDs of his choice. Its always a bargaining between me and my son about which songs to play at what time during our trips; and to make things a lil complex, by now our daughter has developed her own choices. So this time it was a three-way 'fight'. Wife enjoys all variety of songs.

Drive was uneventful, till Ch'pur. Reached hotel there exactly at 12 with one 20 min tea break, got room, there restaurant was also open, so first had dinner, was nice, then unloaded required luggage and went to bed. Not many pics from this drive.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd July 2010 at 12:09.
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Hi LDL,
Nice start to the travelogue. I would specially like to see the photos of inside of the safari when the seats were folded to make it spacious inside for your wife and daughter.
And must commend you, that you have carefully chosen snaps which shows differents facets of India, and it does portrays the journey to the diverse terrain of India.
Wonderful mate!! now only if you speed up, fast fast!!!

EDIT: 5 stars from me!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 3rd July 2010 at 13:11.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi LDL,
Nice start to the travelogue. I would specially like to see the photos of inside of the safari when the seats were folded to make it spacious inside for your wife and daughter.
And must commend you, that you have carefully chosen snaps which shows differents facets of India, and it does portrays the journey to the diverse terrain of India.
Wonderful mate!! now only if you speed up, fast fast!!!

EDIT: 5 stars from me!
Many thanks.

Yes, will give it fast. But, unfortunately, dont have any full-fledged photo to show that inside cabin after folding middle seat. Actually, we folded it for the first time on second day during Lunch break. I asked our son to take pics, he did take, but hurriedly from inside, so only very small part cud be captured. We were in hurry as day's target to reach was very very far! Anyway, I'll do it some day again and take proper pics from all angles and then post. It doesn't take much time.

Day 2 story and pics coming up just after Lunch. This was a typical BHPian style road trip which has enough 'massala' of all sorts. We went without Hotel bookings in most cases.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd July 2010 at 13:36.
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:14   #23
BHPian

nice, nice, very nice...

snacks: check
Tea: check

wife shouting: uncheck

now, post quickly.. the weather's cool and the thread's hot!

-------------

very courageous of you sir, by the way.
Many can only dream of doing a similar trip, you really gotta trust yourself, your car and your co-passengers for this kind of a journey.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
nice, nice, very nice...

snacks: check
Tea: check

wife shouting: uncheck

now, post quickly.. the weather's cool and the thread's hot!

-------------

very courageous of you sir, by the way.
Many can only dream of doing a similar trip, you really gotta trust yourself, your car and your co-passengers for this kind of a journey.
Thanks Khaalid bhai. You precisely reached to the crux of the matter as said highlighted in bold above!

Coming up details right now..
Old 3rd July 2010, 15:02   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
How come you left out your driver in the to trust list Unoczar? LDL might not have a driver like Mazhar. But still, one needs to add the your driver part .
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 15:26   #26
BHPian

Day 2.
Planned Target: Chhatarpur-Panna-Katni-Jabalpur-Seoni-Nagpur-Adilabad,AP (Night halt).

Due to late arrival on previous night, we couldn't start early. But, got enough rest, good bath and then fixed major luggage on roof carrier (it took quite a time and energy). Finally, started from Hotel at 8.30 am. Route to be taken was clear to me and was familiar to me except the stretch between Panna - Katni via Amanganj. But, I have read about this unknown stretch in HVK's January'10 Bombay-Gwaliar-Khajuraho-Hyd-TVM-Munnar-Mumbai trip log.

Breakfast formalities were done in car through snacks, juices, etc, that we carried all the time. Initially, I was feeling a lil dull due to that luggage fixing which drained out lot of energy, though I have had 2 rounds of Tropicana juice. Finally I settled down to the rhythm. Reached Panna 10 am and asked locals for diversion to that forest road to Katni through Amanganj.

A word about that road:
It is single lane from Panna to Amanganj (38 kms), though from Amanganj, it turned into a beautiful newly tarred proper 2-lane SH. It passes through typical central Indian dry terrain. And yes, passing through in the luxury of a big car's AC, one'll enjoy the dry but scenic topography and countryside!
We took a few pics of this stretch.

Before proceeding further, snaps taken at Ch'pur Hotel and this road coming up now. They are self-explanatory. Most of the days, at the start of our day, when I do routine clean-up and get the vehicle ready, there used to be a small photo session when our daughter is fresh and high in spirits!
Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd July 2010 at 15:35.
Old 3rd July 2010, 15:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
How come you left out your driver in the to trust list Unoczar? LDL might not have a driver like Mazhar. But still, one needs to add the your driver part .
haha.. made me laugh! So you'll not let our Khan bhai forget Mr. Mazhar.

When some well-wisher suggests me to have a driver along on such long trips (remember my highway/long drive experience is still less then one year!! Yes, that's true. It all started with this Black Tigress and T-BHP in Aug. 2009. Before that I was a M-800 city driving guy, who had a 1994 model M-800 borrowed from home!), I simply laugh away, what for? to have food and sleep in the boot! Sight-seeing comes second for me, driving is what drives this passion to take up trips like this.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd July 2010 at 15:34.
Old 3rd July 2010, 15:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post

Grrr! don't remind me of that!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 15:47   #29
BHPian

Day 2 Photos continue..

After Amanganj, the forest road turns into a proper SH (MP state roads are improving). I enjoyed driving on it.
Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2010, 15:51   #30
Team-BHP Support

The MP SH really looks good, contrary to what I was aware of! As you say they really have improved looks like!
Which is this SH? I thought that should be NH86.

EDIT: Never mind my question. I got the answers!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2010 at 15:57.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote