Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th August 2010, 15:33   #361
BHPian

Been trying to complete all pages in one go, but could only do 9 in 2 days so far. LDL, excellent photos and narration. My 5* are here!
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 18:35   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How was the RNS Highway Motel? It is a new property, were the tariffs reasonable and food good?
Sorry HVK sir for late reply. Its too hectic at workplace.

RNS Highway Hotel, Murdeswara was fantastic in all respects. You'd recollect, I sent a sms from there to you which read 'enjoying 4-star facility at a throw-away price'!

Yes, it was like that as shown in pics, beautiful lawns, excellent rooms and bathroom with brand new modern furnishings, excellent restaurant with hygienic tasty food; 'almost unlimited' parking space, bang on NH17, outside the crowded temple area, professional management, etc,..the list goes on. What impressed us was the fact that despite low volume of tourist (I assume as it was away from temple complex on Highway), the owner has gone for building a quality facility for future! The furnishing of room & bathrooms was what we normally don't find in Highway Motels, it was meant to be at par with Star Hotels. Even the Sofas put in entrance waiting lounge speaks volumes about the quality consciousness of the owners/promoters of the property.

And tariff for all this! With 30% off season discount (implemented from the day we went there), it was mere Rs. 325/- for DB Non-AC room! With Rs 100 for extra bed, wasn't it a steal! We couldn't believe it! Just for fun, I told family, that tariff is Rs 1325/- and said it is good for such a nice hotel, and guess what! they believed it to be true. So when I told them to remove the 1 (i.e. 000) from that tag, they were pleasantly shocked!

And we did what we have been doing all through this trip: 'Thanking HVK sir again for guiding us for this place'. Actually, before proceeding on this trip, I had specifically asked him to suggest at least name of one hotel for each place for all the places we were supposed to stay! It helped a lot carrying his list. It gave us some sort of certainty amidst uncertainty!

@ampere. Yes, as HVK sir said it was a new property, came up in last 1.5 year or so, their manager told me. Actually, they have a big Hospital, and a Auto showroom/workshop too in the same row. So, it is a continuous RNS property on that side of the road. This Hotel is the latest addition to that chain. The same group has that beach Hotel on temple sea side which you mentioned as is shown in our pics above.

Thanks lohithrao and ExtremeTorque for your compliments.
Yes, it was a dream run, and Safari was one of the major motivating factor.

Shall continue with the story and pics soon..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 13th August 2010 at 18:38.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 18:11   #363
Team-BHP Support

Sahab seems to have forgotten the story beyond this point.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 13:55   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sahab seems to have forgotten the story beyond this point.
Oh no !! Just lost in office works. Sorry for long gap. Shall complete the last leg today onwards. Reason: Dreaming for another trip has started!! So got to finish this, so as to solicit advise and help on the next one , otherwise you'd say, 'no help, till you complete this TL! Remember .

So many new, interesting TLs has started, also need to catch up with them.

Anyway, remaining story with pics, coming up today evening itself!!

Also @ ampere, recently drove to delhi and that part of western UP where you have roamed in past, will send you a pm, roads have improved a lot there now.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:55   #365
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I almost forgot you sir. I have to now re-read the last 2 - 3 pages to recollect where this was left hanging. Welcome back.

All work and no log makes LDL a hated man.

So where is the next trip planned to? Will it be through Pune? I have cancelled my Benaras trip due to a leg injury. It will happen mostly Oct 2011.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 16:43   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I almost forgot you sir. I have to now re-read the last 2 - 3 pages to recollect where this was left hanging. Welcome back.

All work and no log makes LDL a hated man.

So where is the next trip planned to? Will it be through Pune? I have cancelled my Benaras trip due to a leg injury. It will happen mostly Oct 2011.
Aree!! forgot in just one month! Anyway, I am back now.

Have you been to Kaas for that flower bloom visit? Did laluks also joined? Or was it canceled due to leg injury?

I'll get on with rest of the story fast. Though that trip has been a landmark for all of us, however, this one month gap from T-bhp had helped me detach a bit from that trip and result! we all are dreaming in full swing for the next one!..and it again will be a mega one. It may involve pasing thru Pune. Shall put up a separate route query for what we have in mind, shortly.

The Story resumes:

Day 18:

We started day after a tasty breakfast at Hotel RNS Regency, Murdeswara. Received sms from ampere and a call from HVK sir, both informing about landslide and some flood situation near Kali river bridge towards Goa side, So passing thru Goa to Mumbai on NH17 was ruled out. before that I also exchanged sms with HVK sir and MX6 for possible time needed to reach Pune from Murdeswara via Ankola-Hubli. Thanks to all the three helping souls, once again.

Went to temple complex again (though have had dharshan the previous evening) for photo shoot (posted already). Spent 1.5 hr, then started for Gokaran. Drive was pleasing. Went straight to Gokaran temple, had darshan at both the temples, then went to Om beach, parked and spent time at hill top, views of sea from top were very very pleasing. There were very few visitors, but, due to lack of time we didn't go down to the beach side, though our daughter was insisting for the same. When we were returning from Om beach, rain started, adding to the driving pleasure. Finally could leave Gokaran at around 1 pm.

Stopped at Kamat Upachar, Ankola for lunch. Liked it. Left from there around 3 pm, target was to reach Pune for night halt. Took right turn on NH 63 for Hubli. I have heard horror stories on T-bhp about long ques of big lorries on that otherwise beautiful route. With that thought in my mind, I wanted to pass thru that stretch as early as possible. Fortunately, we didn't find any jam, even the traffic was very sparse and it was a smooth free run without any lorries!

Just few 10-13 kms before Hubli, saw a board on left to Dharwad, was a SH, took it which connected us to the Dharwad bypass on NH4. It was bumpy but traffic very little. It felt nice to be on much awaited and herd about NH4. We were in need of some cash and diesel, stopped at a PB on Dharwad bypass, filled diesel and asked for ATM, the Guy told, it just nearby in High Court building on opposite side. I parked, crossed over and withdrew cash.

So all issues sorted out, I speeded up on beautiful NH4. It was cloudy but not raining. Stopped at a roadside Dhaba for evening tea/snacks break before Kolhapur. There was a Kolhapuri footwear shop too! Guess what! I focussed on much needed 2 cups of strong tea, where as wife and daughter bought 3 pairs of chappals! After that again it was a speed run. Finally, I called HVK sir around 10pm and informed that we are near Satara. he advised to stay at Satara only instead of Pune because: 1. It'll be cheaper to get accommodation, and 2. In morning hrs it'll take just 1.5 hrs to reach Pune from satara. The idea was right, I also talked to MX6 and informed about this, he also agreed that this is a right decision. Finally, we settled for a room in Hotel Mahendra residency, Satara suggested by HVK sir. At that time we were in no mood to take the risk of searching for a cheaper alternative in crowed bus stand area, as we needed good rest for hectic drive ahead that involved covering 2000 kms in next (last) 2 days!

Kids didn't want any dinner, we two had dinner at the Hotel's restau, but it was tasteless! I smsd HVK sir before going to bed. MX6 gave us very useful directions about Pune traffic, tunnels and how to pass it with less time and also fixed a possible meet-up at Hingenbadi Chowk, Pune on NH4. We gave him an idea of what time we'd reach there. We had a satisfactory day.

Day 19 comming up next with OM beach pics.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:10   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Oh no !! Just lost in office works. Sorry for long gap. Shall complete the last leg today onwards. Reason: Dreaming for another trip has started!! So got to finish this, so as to solicit advise and help on the next one , otherwise you'd say, 'no help, till you complete this TL! Remember .

So many new, interesting TLs has started, also need to catch up with them.

Anyway, remaining story with pics, coming up today evening itself!!

Also @ ampere, recently drove to delhi and that part of western UP where you have roamed in past, will send you a pm, roads have improved a lot there now.
Wow! Waiting to here from you! Its been a long time since I was there.
There are another TL on Moradabad-Naini, which reminded me of my times!

So another dream of a long drive? I bet it will have to be North east!
Old 24th September 2010, 17:42   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Waiting to here from you! Its been a long time since I was there.
There are another TL on Moradabad-Naini, which reminded me of my times!

So another dream of a long drive? I bet it will have to be North east!
No, not North-east. Actually, its going to be South again and not less then 5000 kms, or may be 7000+! as can't go to Himalayas in winters.

Actually, I wanted to tell you about route from Bulandsahar - Dibai- Narora-Badaun- Barelli has been relaid and is now proper 2-lane highway. Only left-over aspects are incomplete sections inside 1-2 towns like Dibai-Sahaswan, etc.

Now Pics from day 18:

Om beach, Gokaran and NH4
Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 24th September 2010 at 17:44.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:12   #369
BHPian

Day 19:

We got up early and started on time around 5.50-6 am from Satara. MX6 has told me to give him a call once we reach the designated tunnel near Pune. I gave him 2-3 calls, but, didn't receive any answer (As he has already clarified, he slept off and couldn't attend the call). This may also be due to the fact that we reached there at least 30 min early then expected.

Anyway, his directions about Pune road and traffic conditions helped us, and we passed through it smoothly w/o facing any traffic congestion, filled at a HP pump on Pune bypass, enjoyed super smooth run on Bombay-Pune EW. I didn't venture beyond 140 kmph, and at that speed, I saw, cars passing me like a bullet, must have been cruising at 180 or so, I guess.

On reaching Mumbai outskirts, I called HVK sir for directions. As usual, his precise directions on phone helped us pass through Mumbai in just one hr to reach Ghodbunder road.

This time we were lucky to have less traffic during Ghodbunder-Vapi- section. Got some rains and enjoyed driving on NH8 despite some road widening work going on.

To continue...
Old 25th September 2010, 13:03   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Actually, I wanted to tell you about route from Bulandsahar - Dibai- Narora-Badaun- Barelli has been relaid and is now proper 2-lane highway. Only left-over aspects are incomplete sections inside 1-2 towns like Dibai-Sahaswan, etc.
Great thing to LDL!

Anorther quirk that I would like to point out: For a long time I too thought it is BULANDSHAHAR. But NO! It is to be written as "BULANSHAHR", without an "A"!

There are two routes from Bulandshahr to Narora and beyond.

1. The standard route that you mentioned:
Bulandshahr-Shikarpur-Dibai-Narora-Chadausi ....

2. The previous (as I now see from GM is a NH) was horrible between Bulandshahr to Dibai. So people used to take a road from Bulandshahr to Anupshahr-Rajghat-Narora. They used to avoid Shikarpur route totally except for buses.

The Anupshahr-Rajghat-Narora is some how not shown in GM.

Rajghat is the place 4Km from Narora where you have the decade old railway bridge (the bridge is beyond its age by now!).

Good to know that this routes has been mended is in good shape. Did you take this route ?

Let me guess: Delhi-Bulandshahr-Narora-Badaun-Ujhani-Farukhabad-Lukhnow?

Last edited by ampere : 25th September 2010 at 13:17.
Old 25th September 2010, 14:47   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Great thing to LDL!

Anorther quirk that I would like to point out: For a long time I too thought it is BULANDSHAHAR. But NO! It is to be written as "BULANSHAHR", without an "A"!

There are two routes from Bulandshahr to Narora and beyond.

1. The standard route that you mentioned:
Bulandshahr-Shikarpur-Dibai-Narora-Chadausi ....

2. The previous (as I now see from GM is a NH) was horrible between Bulandshahr to Dibai. So people used to take a road from Bulandshahr to Anupshahr-Rajghat-Narora. They used to avoid Shikarpur route totally except for buses.

The Anupshahr-Rajghat-Narora is some how not shown in GM.

Rajghat is the place 4Km from Narora where you have the decade old railway bridge (the bridge is beyond its age by now!).

Good to know that this routes has been mended is in good shape. Did you take this route ?

Let me guess: Delhi-Bulandshahr-Narora-Badaun-Ujhani-Farukhabad-Lukhnow?
Yes, that is (route 1) is NH93 now and in good shape. The route you mentioned via Farukkabad will be shortest to Lucknow, but road condition between Budaun-Jalalabad-kalan- (Shaajahanpur Distt) - Farukkabad is reported to be bad. But, the way things are going, I hope few years down the lane, that would be the route for us to go to home.

So, we took Ujhani-Budaun-Bareilly-Shaajahanpur (NH24)- (Left NH24 at Shahanjahanpur as it was heavily potholed with heavy truck traffic - diverted to SH25 to Hardoi which was newly laid with same distance as NH24 via Sitapur is)- Hardoi-Balamau-Malihabad (this route passes through world famous Dashahari mango belt)-Lucknow.

Right now whole of that region is under heavy flood. The situation has worsened even after we came from there 304 days back.

Recent news is that Narora bridge has been closed for traffic
(my cousins coming from B'shahar had to go back from Narora to Aligarh and then come via Etah-Kasganj).

NH24 has disappeared near Moodapande between Rampur-Moradabad. Moradabad, Baudaun, Shahajahanpur distt are under severe flood created by releasing of excessive water into Ganga and its tributaries.

Didn't notice about spelling of B'shahr!! You may be right.

Nice to know that you keep your interest alive in the region.

Will be back with the story soon.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 25th September 2010 at 14:50.
Old 25th September 2010, 18:48   #372
Team-BHP Support

Oh that is news that the Narora Barrage has been closed! That used to be very solid!

I was aware of the Kasganj routed bridge on Ganga. Lots of Agra based traffic on to this part of UP used to (I think it still does)
ply through this route. (Agra-Etah-Kasganj-Badaun)

Sorry for the OT guys!

Last edited by ampere : 25th September 2010 at 18:52.
Old 26th September 2010, 07:49   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Mazhar bla bla.. mazhar bla.. bla....

he he... you must come to hyderabad and meet him!!
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 18:31   #374
BHPian

Day 19 continuing..

Forgot to mention, as was advised by MX6 previous night, we stopped for breakfast on 1st Food plaza on Pune-Mumbai EW, liked the food and ambiance both.

I have planned to push till Surat before breaking for lunch, but was feeling lilttle tired, so stopped for a tea on a small multi-purpose shop around 1pm. The man prepared me special tasty strong tea, and while I was enjoying the tea, he shared his views about the progress of his state, Gujrat! He was very thoughtful and critical of GJ's Industrial development policy. he said Gujrat's so called Industrial development has brought tremendous prosperity for rich business/industrial class; but, at the same time, common man has been a sufferer as we are facing severe scarcity of water and water pollution! I was amazed at the depth and intensity of his thoughts on the subject. I thanked him for nice tea and his thoughts, and moved on, fresh to crunch more miles before lunch.

Finally, we stopped for lunch at a beautiful restaurant (will write name of the place after checking with the notebook left at home) around 2.45 pm. It was a nice property, good food, clean toilets, open space for kids for having lil fun too (See pics). We all got relaxed here.

After that next break was at SP ring road A'bad, just before taking diversion on 2lane road which connects to NH8. Here we stopped for fuel break, toilets (on a Petrol bunk), & evening tea, cold-drinks, etc, on adjoining truck dhaba!

After that it became dark, and there was no stopping. I speeded-up. target was to reach as close to Udaipur as possible, so that last day comes within the striking range for an comfortable drive.

After leaving A'bad, I called RTDC, Rishabhdev for checking room availability. Phone was picked by some lady, she said all rooms are full! She was also speaking in a style, that doesn't sound like an employee!! We kept talking about this episode. It was our second time at that stretch at that time (after dark), and like the previous one (or Mumbai trip last winter), I was enjoying the drive - beautiful road, curvy at times (Shamlaji), less traffic. That's true. Actual fun of NH8 starts after Surat.

We considered taking night halt at RTDC Ratnapur, but, decided to continue as still time was there and I was fit to drive further. So, when we reached Rishabhdev and I saw RTDC, Gavri signage on the highway itself, I pulled inside it, just to check, in case what we heard on phone was some wrong info! To our surprise, the whole Hotel was vacant! The caretaker informed that their phone is dead for past few days! We settled in a nice room. Kids were in no mood to have dinner. We both got freshened. I went out to the only open Dhaba on NH8 just opp to Hotel gate, brought some Dal fry and Tandoori Chapaties. In the mean time as our dinner was prepared, sitting relaxed on that road-side dhaba at 10.30pm amidst truck movement and cool-breeze, I was satisfied with the progress and sent an sms to HVK sir.

Day's odo read 963 kms. (Satara - RTDC, Rishabhdev). Now just 1000 kms were left for the last day. We were just 50-60 kms away from Udaipur.

Pics from day 19 and Last day of our landmark trip coming up tomorrow..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 27th September 2010 at 18:34.
Old 28th September 2010, 10:05   #375
BHPian

Pics from Day 19

Pics from our drive Satara to RTDC, Rishabdeo are attached
Attached Images