Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th July 2010, 23:48   #121
MX6
Senior - BHPian

heh heh. I've told HVK that I'm going to download all his excel and convert them to gpx format to be garmin readable. Presto, all that hvk has logged will then be in my garmin! Lot of work as his excels are huge!
Anyway, the vehicle journey recorder with gps in his vehicle is for showing people like me what leh looks like. He normally logs things the old fashioned way. Pen and post its.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 10:39   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks for all the good words, honoured.

I have been maintaining log books since my mobiking days and have log books of every road journey I have made in the last 24 years (since 1986). That is a lot of log books - some 4 dairies - but since the year 2000, I have been entering them in excel files.
I jot down odo, time, place name, landmarks, other road instructions in a small scribbling pad/ note book.
All my log books are not in excel format, but whichever one is - all since the Year 2000 - are available in the following link:
Pages - hvkumar | Google Groups

I still refer my old dairies for certain routes I have visited long ago.

Sorry, LDL, for hijacking your thread!
Oh no, Sir, do you need to say sorry, for not hijacking, but teaching how to fish as was asked! so who is going to fish as long as they get enough fishes already fished for them!

Anyway, as usual, very precise but clear narration of your methods HVK sir.

I think a word about your data processing and management skills, but, more importantly, about that heart to share it all so freely and devoting time in helping others, is what I feel can't be overlooked, amidst the awe of your encyclopedic knowledge developed over these 2.5 decades.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 11:54   #123
BHPian

To continue with the story..

Day 7: A visit to fishing hamlets in Rameswaram

Peep into activities there, and temple & other views from there.
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 12:01   #124
BHPian

Day 7: More shots from fishing hamlets, Rameswaram
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 12:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

These are lovely pics from the daily life. I have some queries though:-

1. Are these prawns in basket? I dont see any net there. Do they just dip the basket and get them?

2. What are these women picking up? Are they shells?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 12:31   #126
BHPian

Day 7. Rameswaram is Over...And Journey to Kanyakumari begins..

We reached back guest house at 3 pm, packed and started our journey to KK at 4.05pm, reached Ramnathpuram at 4.35pm and took a left diversion to get on to that famous ECR (East Coast Road). I was carrying printouts of routes alongwith distances, given by HVK sir. So still 270 kms were left for day's destination! Our 1st target was Tuticorin for a tea break.

A word about ECR:

Have herd/read a lot about it. Yes, it was fantastic, butter smooth, very sparse traffic, and as rightly pointed out by HVK sir earlier, wasn't that scenic, though, as is said sometimes. yet, I enjoyed driving on it that evening, so much so that I sent a sms at that time to HVK sir, ampere and MX6!

A word about my sms updates:

Most of those sms sent on the move were actually typed by my son! I'll ask him, write this n this and send to so and so..Infact, after 1 or 2, he knew whom to send!

To cut the story short, we reached KK via Trichendure at 10.30 pm with a diesel and tea break inside Tuticorin city.

Just 2 impt. observations:

1. Road from Trichendur to KK (90 kms) is bumpy and lil desolate. To be frank, at post 9 pm time, at times, I felt lil too adventurous to be there. I mean, if something happens with the car, there was hardly any traffic on that road, to ask for any help! I wanted to pass through that stretch quickely and reach KK, but due to bumpiness, going beyond 80-90 was difficult most of the times. But, Therein lies the thrill!!

2. I enjoyed those countless windmills all around. They were quite a sight, specially, after dark, they looked like several moving moons!! At times, I'll ask wife to come out of her dozing world, and have a look at them! Kids, off course, were in their blissful sleep!

Now, a couple of pics from ECR will follow...
Old 7th July 2010, 13:15   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
These are lovely pics from the daily life. I have some queries though:-

1. Are these prawns in basket? I dont see any net there. Do they just dip the basket and get them?

2. What are these women picking up? Are they shells?
1. Yes, they were prawns. They were caught in nets and then shifted in baskets for washing and transporting.

2. No, they were picking trash fishes. They are the fishes that come as a by-catch in nets, and won't sell in main fish markets for human consumption, but, they are sold to poultry-farm owners and serve as a poultry feed!
Old 7th July 2010, 13:38   #128
BHPian

Day 7 continues..

ECR Photos

And a few snaps from those 'Salt extracting/producing' units that we saw frequently on the route..

These are late evening shots, hence lighting is poor.

KK sight seeing pics coming up next... This was an epic trip (actually, a combination of several trips!), so I'll keep you all boring as long as well!!
Attached Images

Old 7th July 2010, 13:44   #129
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Tiruchendur is an absolutely brilliant place. The seashore gives some amazing views.
Like this one for instance. Look at the emerald waters closer to the land with blues behind that and in the sky and the great clouds.
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-sea.jpg

There are some hidden gems in the tiruchendur temple. There's a gaping hole proportionately and deliberately made in the wall facing the see. Sea Breeze passing through that resonates to the sounds of Aum. That's scientific approach for you ages back.
Incidentally, when Tsunami wrecked having along TN coast and whole of Srilanka, seems the water receded from here exposing the sea bed for kilometers. Not a drop of water came in to the temple which is mins away from the sea. So the god has got a new name. The one who conquered the Tsunami. The reason for that is that Srilanka being at a strategic position saved this temple town! Water receded from these places as it was pulled out due to the brute force of tsunami which struck all other parts. This was in the shadow region caste by the other land mass present which was Lanka. Another thing is the presence of the corals here! they acted as dampeners as well. Sethusamudram project is hell bent on destroying the sea life and the natural protection these places enjoy from such calamities and not to mention, opening out the sensitive sea spaces to international waters, which is till now our own.

Sorry for so much of OT.

Adding this about Tuticorin and the salt beds. Tuticorin had pearl industry earlier. It is also called pearl city and a train from chennai runs to tuticorin daily which is also called pearl city express. It is a thriving port which during sanga period (1000s of years back) was another port which flourished due to trade from here to places as far flung as west indies.
Another such great port was Poompuhar (housing a great city called kaviripoompattinam)
When Gandhi went on his salt march to Dandi, loads of freedom fighters walked to tuticorin to do salt satyagraha.
Noted freedom fighters were V O Chidambaram Pillai who defied the british by sailing his own ships and got 20 years rigorous imprisonment with punishment including lugging the oil miss physically (check photo of marital life by download2live in Andaman jail where he's strapped to one), and another firebrand leader called Subramaniyam siva (who got 40 years).
When VOC was jailed, rest of Indians let him rot in jail. His shipping company closed and all his personal amount that he invested to sail a ship from the port of tuticorin was all lost. He lived the rest of his life in extreme penury.
Kayattar has another landmark place. The tree where Veerapandiya katta bomman was hung. Another cult that's slowly disappearing in modern times. He opposed the British. He was betrayed by one who he trusted (Ettappa of Ettaiyapuram).

When one travels around the historic side of TN, one actually starts wondering, was their sacrifice really worth it? Do we deserve the freedom we enjoy and misuse to the hilt?

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 13:53.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:45   #130
Team-BHP Support

I took this road (dont know if it existed in the current state) two decades back, when I was a little boy.
We also visited Tiruchendur and visited the Temple of Lord Karthik (Murugan temple). Had a nice bath in sea as well.

The current Kanyakumari Express then used to be called Island express and had just then had a major accident.

That was my part of South India trip! (Delhi, Trichur, Trivandrum, KK, Rameshwaram, Madurai, Trichy, Chennai, Tirupath, Chennai, Delhi) I think the year was 1987! I still remember that pretty vividly. (Just don't remember the road status! Was not a petrol head then!)

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2010 at 13:47.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 14:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
When one travels around the historic side of TN, one actually starts wondering, was their sacrifice really worth it? Do we deserve the freedom we enjoy and misuse to the hilt?
Agree with you 100%. Another historic spot near Tuticorin is the Maniyachi Jn railway station, later renamed as Vanchi Maniyachi to honour the martyred freedom fighter Vanchinathan who shot dead the then T'veli collector Ashe here. He then shot himself to avoid arrest. This was on June 17th, 1911. There is a plaque in the station mentioning this event.

Vanchinathan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ironically, there is also a memorial plaque for the slain collector Ashe on Beach Road, Tuticorin!

The Madurai - T'veli - Tuticorin belt had a strong connection with the freedom struggle. To this day we can see a lot of people named Bhagat Singh, Bose, Gandhi etc in the towns / hamlets of this area!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 14:25   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Agree with you 100%. Another historic spot near Tuticorin is the Maniyachi Jn railway station, later renamed as Vanchi Maniyachi to honour the martyred freedom fighter Vanchinathan who shot dead the then T'veli collector Ashe here. He then shot himself to avoid arrest. This was on June 17th, 1911. There is a plaque in the station mentioning this event.

Ironically, there is also a memorial plaque for the slain collector Ashe on Beach Road, Tuticorin!

The Madurai - T'veli - Tuticorin belt had a strong connection with the freedom struggle. To this day we can see a lot of people named Bhagat Singh, Bose, Gandhi etc in the towns / hamlets of this area!
Thanks a lot for the information. I really feel proud of the people there. The freedom which we enjoy now came with a heavy price. We dont realise that. Least of all, at times we are not even respectful to them. So..sad.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 14:49   #133
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I took this road (dont know if it existed in the current state) two decades back, when I was a little boy.
We also visited Tiruchendur and visited the Temple of Lord Karthik (Murugan temple). Had a nice bath in sea as well.
we went on a road trip in early 90s. Like 91 - 93. We used to drive all around Madurai. There's coastal route from Tiruchendur till Chidambaram was not smooth. We had a 1 lane road with no smooth tar. Our Fiat could keep speeds of 35 kph on those roads due to the surface.
We used to love driving in Chettinad. Oh, those amazing houses.
I vividly remember a drive to Mimisal, from where on a clear day one can see Srilanka. In that trip we also went to a temple called Aavudaiyar kovil at Tiruperundurai. Maanikkavaachagar had siphoned off the money Pandya king gave him to buy horses for war to build this amazing temple. Further went to sing praises of the lord. When the kind asked him for the horses, Lord shiva came to his rescue and converted foxes and wolves to horses and delivered them. Maanikkavaachagar's detractors were defeated. Over night the horses turned back to a pack of wolves and foxes prompting the Pandya king to arrest and incarcerate Maanikkavaachagar.
Shiva makes Vaigai river flood and breach the dams and comes as a boy to help Vandhi (the issueless old hag of Madurai) for just Pittu (food item in return), as Pandya king says every family should send one person to work on building a dam. Shiva just lazes around and is summoned by Pandya king and whipped on his back for his laziness which immediately falls as whiplash on every person in the world, including the king. King realises who the boy is and also realises that Shiva put up this great Drama (tiruvilayadal) to make him realise his folly of having Maanikkavaachagar arrested and tortured.
You find these from ancient scriptures written in tamil during Sanga period (also called sanga ilakkiyam).
Anyway, the highlights of the temple is that the Fox/ wolf to horse transformation and the reverse transformation has happened in this temple. And there are sculptures to show that. And this temple is a marvel. Some of the sculptures are so life like that one keeps gazing for hours at their beauty. The texture, the proportions, even minute details like veins popping out of people and animals to wrinkles in skin. I visited this temple before I had a camera. I will visit this again. Thanks to LDL, he's made me recollect some wonderful childhood memories.
As I type this, the skies have opened up in Pune. Pray the rains continue!

Regarding Ashe, Incidentally, he was travelling to Kodai road and then to Kodaikanal. Tried to put up a travelogue. Vanchinathan the moderator banned him permanently
There's another great leader from this parts called Kodi Kaatha kumaran (Kumaran who saved the flag).
They proclaimed freedom and started hoisting the Indian flag (the one with the charka). British wanted to send in a quick retribution. Tried getting the Indian flags down to re-hoist the Union Jack.
Kumaran was guarding one such Indian flag that he hoisted and didn't want it lowered.
He held tightly to the lamp post though the sepoys kicked and punched him badly. He never let go the flag. He was beaten to death. But he never let go. He died holding the reins to the flag that was flying atop the mast ever so gloriously. He gave his life for a flag. And we have forgotten him too.

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 14:55.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

If I remember right, Kumaran was from Erode district and not these parts of TN. I followed an external link in the Wikipedia article about Vanchi and it was really interesting. I have copied the link here, in case someone missed it. Really interesting:

An Irish link
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 15:41   #135
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes. Kumaran is indeed from Erode. When I meant from this parts, I meant Tamil Nadu and not specifically Tirunelveli and surrounding. Subramaniam Siva is from Vathalagundu. The bus stop there is also named after him.
Freedom fighter and poet Subramanya Bharatiyar is incidentally from Ettayapuram which also produced the traitor Ettappan! He fled to Pondicherry and was under political asylum with the french where he started his news paper to oppose the british. The paper was called Swadesamithran.

There was a Tamil movie made on Bharatiyar's life called Bharati, starring Sayaji Shinde (yeah, the villain from shool). The movie is a great tribute to the legend.
I believe it got Sayaji Shinde a national award if I'm not wrong.
Bharati's striking poem about himself where he asks Shakti (goddes) a question.
Will anyone make a beautiful veena and then throw it out to let it rot? Tell me shivashakti, why did you make me with brilliance that shines?
Guess he was writing about his own helplessness not being able to actively take part in the freedom struggle due to failing health.
But the line fits Indian struggle for independance and the end result aptly!
Will anyone make such a fine veena and then throw it out to let it rot? That's what we did with a painstakingly acquired independance!

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 15:47.