Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th July 2010, 02:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Marriage was last year.
Typing the next installment. Its a long one. Team-bhp does play havoc with married life. Wife saw the screen, rolled her eyes and went to sleep as I furiously keep typing on. Talk about Brotherhood.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 02:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Snorkeling time

Well here is the sunset I promised. Radhanagar beach is famous for its sunsets. But unfortunately it was cloudy that day. So pics did not come out so glorious. This is going to be a long post. Lots of pics. Difficult to coordinate captions. Whew.
Name:  p1010957.jpg
Views: 3503
Size:  34.5 KB
Picking up from where I left off.

Name:  p1010954.jpg
Views: 3493
Size:  37.1 KB
Fishermen

Name:  p1010989.jpg
Views: 3665
Size:  42.8 KB
She likes this shot the most.
Masterji: Pappu now you know what "Kabab mein haddi means?"
Pappu: Yes masterji.

Name:  p1010997.jpg
Views: 3556
Size:  33.6 KB
Its sunset time.

Name:  p1020003.jpg
Views: 3485
Size:  33.2 KB
And we were not so lucky.

Name:  p1020027.jpg
Views: 3480
Size:  32.4 KB
Well "Jo mil gaya usi ko muqaddar samajh liya"

Name:  p1020032.jpg
Views: 3474
Size:  22.0 KB
Brand new day. Adventure awaits. Love the Indian flag flying on almost all the boats there.

Name:  p1020036.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  32.2 KB
Sky is blue and water is emerald green. I am getting nostalgic now.

Name:  p1020050.jpg
Views: 3457
Size:  58.3 KB
We pass through by some uninhabited Islands.

Name:  p1020060.jpg
Views: 3435
Size:  31.4 KB
Of all the places to grow these smart trees chose that tiny speck of land.

But where are we going? Well the staff at Wild Orchid told us not to miss snorkeling around Andamans. And the best place was a little far, I think Ross Islands. There is one more place called Elephant beach where there are some corals but there you will find Indians also. . That see and dash to other places types. It was very crowded. So better stick to Ross Islands. You can't go wrong with that. I was told by staff that it will be cheaper that if I go out and find out some locals who take people out in sea. Via resorts it would be expensive. So off I went stopping at one place where they said that they undertook snorkeling. One fellow said yup, he can get it done, and calls up his contact. Deal done for I think Rs 2500 (can't remember exactly). Was told to come at 9.30. So off we went in that super solid, super safe ocean liner.

Name:  p1020062.jpg
Views: 3484
Size:  72.9 KB
I asked them atleast 10 times about safety of boat. And hand examined the life jackets. They were laughing.

Honeymoon@Andamans-p1020037-large.jpg
Mera Bharat Mahan.
BTW this fellow is guiding the boat. Vocal signalling mode used. And the fellow at back was turning the rudder accordingly. Take that Satnav and Gramin.

Name:  p1020064.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  46.5 KB
We land at Gulshan Islands. Excuse me. Where did Gulshan Islands came from in picture?
Well this is training ground for newbies like us. They gave us basic lessons in snorkeling here at the shore. Guys be careful here if you visit it. The shoreline suddenly gets very deep here after few feet. See the sharp change in the color of water here.

Name:  p1020065.jpg
Views: 3472
Size:  70.6 KB
The pilots of the ship told me that they celebrated the last new year here on this island. Cooked the dinner around fire and had loads of beer. The island is densely forested and home to Wild boar. I mentally imagined them hunting a few for the roast. And then me staring at a black Linux terminal showing me core dump.

Makes me think about the way we live life. As IT engineer I do live an Air conditioned life. But there is way too much I am missing as I sit here and type this. Life is short. And we are doing unforgivable sin of wasting it. Almost all of us. May I recommend a movie called Ikuru, by Akira Kurosawa to be watched by all Team-bhpians? Other than strange expressions on some of the actor faces, Its an eye opener. Anyways, back to typing.

Name:  p1020069.jpg
Views: 3442
Size:  62.5 KB
Time for me to take the plunge near Ross Islands.

Name:  p1020070.jpg
Views: 3405
Size:  56.9 KB
I may look scared but actually I m not.

Name:  p1020071.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  80.7 KB
As fish takes to water.
Sorry guys but I did not have underwater camera. But believe me. Its a different world out there. Any one can do snorkeling. No need to be a swimmer. The boat guy(pilots) will do the swimming and drag you behind them. You keep your face under water and see the corals and colorful fish. Corals are HUGE. I mean real huge. Almost as huge as big boulders we see in Gacchbowli area of Hyderabad e.g If builders have not already blasted them off.
DO NOT MISS ROSS ISLANDS IF YOU VISIT ANDAMANS.
i repeat,
DO NOT MISS ROSS ISLANDS IF YOU VISIT ANDAMANS.

Name:  p1020072.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  93.4 KB
Ready to go captain. Start dragging me.
Those who are good swimmers also are advised to gauge the waters first. They are rather wild at places.

Name:  p1020073.jpg
Views: 3416
Size:  91.7 KB
Off we go.

Name:  p1020074.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  80.5 KB
Yeh, we move. These guys maybe slim but are filled with stamina and raw power.
Masterji:Pappu, this is a visual example of 20% of workforce doing the work of 80% of remaining guys in IT industry. Understood?
Pappu: Yes masterji.

Name:  p1020075.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  99.6 KB
Middle of nowhere.

Name:  p1020076.jpg
Views: 3402
Size:  103.5 KB
I drink some sea water. Ouch.

Name:  p1020077.jpg
Views: 3403
Size:  103.6 KB
But all is well.

Honeymoon@Andamans-p1020079-large.jpg
Reached back safe and sound. I am a changed man. Nature is supreme.
Now will somebody give me a hand. It tough hauling yourself up on a rocking boat.

Honeymoon@Andamans-p1020080-large.jpg
Hey!!! I am also here. Finally wife gave me a hand and pulled me up.

Now I need to go an sleep.

Coming up: Honeymoon dress code for women.

Whew. Long post ends. This is my masterpiece.
Pappu: Yes Masterji.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:23   #33
BHPian

Wow That must have been a wonderful experience.
Snorkeling is something i want to do. Hmmmmm
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 09:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow..Thats a wonderful experience. Awesome shots.

BTW you dont need an underwater camera, you just need a waterproof case for the camera. I saw some here. Cost as high as Rs 10k . At such places there is also a likelihood of getting these cameras on rent.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:06   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing pictures @downloadtolive.

you are correct -- we software engrs LIVE in A/C cubes...but forget to LIVE our life. In a way getting married is good [I believe being single is better] ..we can go for a honeymoon to our dream destination. I think the Indian government should make once a year honeymoon mandatory for all couples -- and pass the law for companies to sponsor the expense
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 11:51   #36
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Snorkelling is more fun when you know swimming. I did snorkelling 10 kms or so away from florida coast in the atlantic. Swimming with fishes, eels and hermit crabs was damn fun!
And there are some disposable underwater cameras one could buy in US for as cheap as 10 usd those days. It was roll camera and after 36 snaps, you turn it to the place where they develop and print. The camera is broken open. So it's use and refuse. That's a cheaper option for people who don't go underwater regularly! Not sure whether those are in India.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Yes swimming is a good fun. But in ocean got to be careful.
Nice place , nice narration. keep it coming.

A word of caution for people planning to visit in future.
Crocodile Attack Kills US Student
I know i'm interrupting the flow, but the biggest grouse the girl's parents had was, there was no 'Caution Notice' put up by the tourism department, eventhough this is not the 1st attack.

This has become quite a big issue in the west. Just google 'Andaman Croc attack'

Last edited by Daewood : 5th July 2010 at 12:27.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 12:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow..Thats a wonderful experience. Awesome shots.

BTW you dont need an underwater camera, you just need a waterproof case for the camera. I saw some here. Cost as high as Rs 10k . At such places there is also a likelihood of getting these cameras on rent.
If I knew swimming I could have done scuba diving. It costs around 7k there if I remember correctly and you get a certificate too. Almost all foreigners were doing that there. Underwater kit for camera for one trip. Not too feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Amazing pictures @downloadtolive.

you are correct -- we software engrs LIVE in A/C cubes...but forget to LIVE our life. In a way getting married is good [I believe being single is better] ..we can go for a honeymoon to our dream destination. I think the Indian government should make once a year honeymoon mandatory for all couples -- and pass the law for companies to sponsor the expense
Take the car/bike out and go to ladakh/leh. I am planning to do the same before I go too old in my bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Snorkelling is more fun when you know swimming. I did snorkelling 10 kms or so away from florida coast in the atlantic. Swimming with fishes, eels and hermit crabs was damn fun!
And there are some disposable underwater cameras one could buy in US for as cheap as 10 usd those days. It was roll camera and after 36 snaps, you turn it to the place where they develop and print. The camera is broken open. So it's use and refuse. That's a cheaper option for people who don't go underwater regularly! Not sure whether those are in India.
Even if they are available they will be expensive. And frankly I was not prepared for what I saw. If I knew it was going to be so beautiful, I might have looked up on ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Nice place , nice narration. keep it coming.

A word of caution for people planning to visit in future.
Crocodile Attack Kills US Student

This has become quite a big issue in the west. Just google 'Andaman Croc attack'
Ouch, Now I did not knew that. Locals also never warned. Me lucky.
Old 5th July 2010, 12:49   #39
BHPian

Aaah. And I thought I was the only one to have spent my honeymoon in Havelock.

Anyways congratulations on your marriage mate. I had done this trip exactly a year before you and I will share my pics soon with all on this post. You will notice the similarity between your itinerary and mine.

Except the jail in Port Blair, I had been to all places & done all those things that you did. I must say it is one of the most undiscovered and secluded places for Indians to go.

Did you also go for fishing in deep sea in the night? That was fun too.
witwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:11   #40
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Here's something interesting I unearthed now.
Underwater roll cameras (the use and refuse) are still available in US in ebay.com for as low as 2 USD! Will allow you to take 24 to 36 snaps based on what's the roll inside. Shipping is costlier.
Here's another link I got from easy buy
Fuji 5 mp digicam with waterproof case comes at 4K with shipping from US. seems like a worthy buy for snorkelling enthusiasts.
Global Easy Buy

For serious undersea explorers there's always options of water proof casings for their SLRs which starts at 10K
May be the next person who travels to havelock or lakshadweep for snorkelling can mull on the roll camera option (sometimes korean sellers ship from korea to India at a fraction of cost) or the fuji. Ofcourse don't expect results like in old programme "Secrets of the Sea".
I did use the disposable underwater roll cam in florida and got ok results.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 13:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by witwiky View Post

Did you also go for fishing in deep sea in the night? That was fun too.
Now thats news to me. Well can' have everything.

Quote:
Underwater roll cameras (the use and refuse) are still available in US in ebay.com for as low as 2 USD! Will allow you to take 24 to 36 snaps based on what's the roll inside. Shipping is costlier.
Fuji 5 mp digicam with waterproof case comes at 4K with shipping from US. seems like a worthy buy for snorkelling enthusiasts.
Global Easy Buy
Well there is Laskwadeep Islands also where corals are very good. Will keep this in mind if I plan for one.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
If I knew swimming I could have done scuba diving. It costs around 7k there if I remember correctly and you get a certificate too. Almost all foreigners were doing that there. Underwater kit for camera for one trip. Not too feasible.
AFAIK you dont need to know swimming for scuba diving either. Its done likewise your experience. A diver goes with you and pulls you around.

The Red Sea here is popular among divers for the Corals and Mediterranean (Alexandria to be specific) for underwater antiquities. I learnt from them that swimming is not necessary to scuba dive.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 11:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK you dont need to know swimming for scuba diving either. Its done likewise your experience. A diver goes with you and pulls you around.

The Red Sea here is popular among divers for the Corals and Mediterranean (Alexandria to be specific) for underwater antiquities. I learnt from them that swimming is not necessary to scuba dive.
Oops. Another miss. Well there is always the next time.
Old 6th July 2010, 20:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Global Easy Buy

For serious undersea explorers there's always options of water proof casings for their SLRs which starts at 10K
May be the next person who travels to havelock or lakshadweep for snorkelling can mull on the roll camera option (sometimes korean sellers ship from korea to India at a fraction of cost) or the fuji. Ofcourse don't expect results like in old programme "Secrets of the Sea".
I did use the disposable underwater roll cam in florida and got ok results.
My florida trip was spoilt because of oil spill, but I plan to test my underwater equipment in pool this week. will hopefully have something to show very soon.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Oops. Another miss. Well there is always the next time.
exactly, you are going underwater, you don't need swimming.

but you should be psychologically prepared to be underwater. I went down to 40 feet and we usually do 1 feet per second, adjusting ear pressure and breathing continuously. Meaning if you get upset for some reasons you will have to wait 40 seconds before you can surface. Come up too fast and your lungs can burst from the air taken in at high pressure under water, ear drums can blow up too. flying is not advised 8-24 hours after scuba diving depending upon the depth you went to. Bubbles in blood stream can be fatal if you don't follow these guidelines.

edit: Ask DAN - May 2008 | Scuba Diving Magazine

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 6th July 2010 at 20:44.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 22:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Come up too fast and your lungs can burst from the air taken in at high pressure under water, ear drums can blow up too. flying is not advised 8-24 hours after scuba diving depending upon the depth you went to. Bubbles in blood stream can be fatal if you don't follow these guidelines.
Ummm....Guys you are scaring me now.

Anyways here is a scoop. As I stated earlier women start planning for honeymoon as soon as they can do math. Now it turns out that they also plan on dress.
My wife is a simple woman. And dresses simple. So when her colleague saw the pics first thing she said, "Yeh ka behenji type ke kapde pehen rakhe hai tune wahan"

Now when I think about it I do recollect some rather, well Healthy women in some (what they must be thinking "Not Behenji type") unusually fitting short clothes. If one looks good then its fine, but when the combo turns out to be so deadly that others lose appetite(pushing away the plate ) after one look. Well then its time to get real.

But hey, beauty is eye of beholder. I am quiet.

And then there was one Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag also there. God I should stop or else I will get banned.