Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st July 2010, 18:26   #331
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
ramky, as Rajiv said, Mayapuri is the best bet.
Do not go inside the market, you get mostly scrap stuff there. On the main road you will find some big shops.
Here is our discussion before the 2009 Ladakh trip
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...w-delhi-3.html (Please help me locate following accessories in New Delhi)

I forgot the name of the shop.
Harjeev will have an idea since NIOC jeepers go there regularly.

As for the tow straps, from what I see, I do not thing yours can do 5 tonnes. Mine rated 4 tonnes are wider than yours!
Have used them multiple times, as I mentioned.
Once a badly beached Safari 3L was the other vehicle. Had to really pull hard. My 2.2 was sliding sideways, finally after multiple "jerks" I could pull her free.
Will try out.

The tow strap was bought from crane operators here, said it would be good for 5 tonnes, the envelope also rated it for 5. However, they look good only for moderate use, not heavy use like pulling out beached SUV's, I know of stories where they have snapped.

========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 19:45   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Thanks, will give it a try. Any particualr shop there?

=====
S S traders, adjacent to Khalsa Restaurant, on main road, opposite, but little ahead of CNG petrol pump. This guy have all sizes and good variety of Straps and D-Shackle.

In case you are going there, I can catch up with you for a little meet
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:49   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
S S traders, adjacent to Khalsa Restaurant, on main road, opposite, but little ahead of CNG petrol pump. This guy have all sizes and good variety of Straps and D-Shackle.

In case you are going there, I can catch up with you for a little meet
Thanks again. Will try to make it, I will be coming on Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday evening, stay at Vaishali, Ghaziabad, far from Mayapuri, will see how schedules hang out. I think the metro would be faster than driving through the traffic. Will give you a buzz about it, please SMS your phone number, mine is 09377203000.

Uploading picture of the cracked underchasis shield on the water cross, 3 KMs from Sarchu, Gold Drop Campsite, looks like it has taken multiple hits.

Leh-docked-img_2046.jpg

The Mahendra ASC checked down under yesterday, said the shield can stay till it drops off, the sump has taken a big hit along with the differential, but nothing to worry, no cracks or damages.

I have to say this, the Scorpio is built tough, it's an awesome piece of engineering for the money you pay and the power on tap.... you have to drive it to experience it on difficult terrain. I've seen the giant inside when the tacho goes past 4.5k, scary is the word.

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd July 2010 at 10:51.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:24   #334
Team-BHP Support

Ramky, there is a noida meet on saturday evening. Its very near to ghaziabad, and should take you just 15 minutes to reach noida.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:47   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ramky, there is a noida meet on saturday evening. Its very near to ghaziabad, and should take you just 15 minutes to reach noida.
That's great news, co-ordinatesa and contacts please, PM me.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd July 2010 at 11:50.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:58   #336
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...th-july-2.html (Noida Meet on 24th/25th july)
this is the thread.
We will make it 24th July(saturday). We should meet up definitely in the evening. you can check out the tow straps and all.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:54   #337
Senior - BHPian

Ramky,was hooked onto this for the past 4 hours.Virtual trip to the mountains and back!.Loved the pictures,especially the moonlight ones.Was keeping track of your drive on fb thanx to HVK.Glad to know you are back safe & sound.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:46   #338
Senior - BHPian

Sunrise @ Pangong.. Incredible sight it was...

Leh-docked-pangong19-large.jpg

Leh-docked-pangong18-large.jpg
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:16   #339
BHPian

Wow, the tents look private. Those people must be having time of their lives. There was a plan being hatched (In this thread) to carry the tents along. Is the plan still being discussed? Any space left (For me)?
sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:47   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Wow, the tents look private. Those people must be having time of their lives. There was a plan being hatched (In this thread) to carry the tents along. Is the plan still being discussed? Any space left (For me)?
@ Ranjit: Thanks, was wondering where you were

@Sanjaykaul: Still in planning stage, but active, don't know if we would be able to do this October/ November. RKBharat is keen, so if we get people who are serious on camping out, we can think of a plan and tentative timings?

To learn tenting, during our last Rajpipla trip, Aript who is an avid Birder and a veteran outdoor guy, taught us the ins and outs of pitching a tent. Two pictures from that trip; his 5 man swiss tent we pitched can be had any time we need, it folds into a small sack and is waterproof.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-tents-one.jpg  

Leh-docked-tents-two.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2010, 18:03   #341
BHPian

I knew quite a bit about pitching a tent long time back. When I was a teenager we used to plan in morning, pile stuff on 3:00 PM bus (after school) at our home town, reach Pahalgam at 5:00 PM, rent a tent in another 30 minutes, track to some secluded location in jungles (not too far), pitch the tent and start cooking our evening meal. It used to be quite fun. Where are those days. I think pitching a swiss tent should be easier but safer than that.

Isnít Oct/Nov a little too late (considering the climate, possibility of snowing and getting stuck). Zojila and Rohtang donít seem to have a good track record. Am I being too finicky? I though September was best time to go.

Experts, Please guide.
sanjaykaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:08   #342
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
I knew quite a bit about pitching a tent long time back. When I was a teenager we used to plan in morning, pile stuff on 3:00 PM bus (after school) at our home town, reach Pahalgam at 5:00 PM, rent a tent in another 30 minutes, track to some secluded location in jungles (not too far), pitch the tent and start cooking our evening meal. It used to be quite fun. Where are those days. I think pitching a swiss tent should be easier but safer than that.

Isn’t Oct/Nov a little too late (considering the climate, possibility of snowing and getting stuck). Zojila and Rohtang don’t seem to have a good track record. Am I being too finicky? I though September was best time to go.

Experts, Please guide.
Luckyy you!!!! Looks we don't have to worry about pitching a tent with you around anyway.

About the timings, I'd get leave only in November. Ideal in Aug/Sep, even Oct would could be difficult. But with this year's late snowing and raining, hoping the winter would stretch out to Nov/Dec. that would be great news for people who could not make it early.

=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd July 2010 at 18:09.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:48   #343
Senior - BHPian

what I want to do next is 100% camping in Ladakh, I might not go to Leh city at all, get the permits sorted with few friends in Leh, couriered to me.

Only remote places, and avoid tourist places. Self cook or local food

My four season four people North Face Tent is on its way from Finland, and I am also arranging one small toilet tent, just in case my wife also decide to join, though chances are very low .

I bought one -20 Degree winter Sleeping bag in last trip, though never used it. Have one small stove etc etc.

How does this sounds
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:53   #344
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
what I want to do next is 100% camping in Ladakh, I might not go to Leh city at all, get the permits sorted with few friends in Leh, couriered to me.

My four season four people North Face Tent is on its way from Finland, and I am also arranging one small toilet tent, just in case my wife also decide to join, though chances are very low .

I bought one -20 Degree winter Sleeping bag in last trip, though never used it. Have one small stove etc etc.

How does this sounds
Exciting is a gross understatement...

Looks like my kind of holiday, want to go off the beaten track, but surely we will need 4x4 to go into wild tracks out there, Let's plan it...

=====
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:12   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How does this sounds
Now thats interesting! Possibility/feasibility of a lady being there. Great. My wife wants to go there with kids and camp around with me. Of course possible only next year.

BTW RKB you have some good camping stuff. Dont even try that Sleeping bag except cold places unless you want to shed off some weight sweating. To the interested people, there is a shop known as "Cliff Climber" in Dehradun which used to have some camping stuff. I know of the sleeping bags. They are good VFM. What they have in store needs to be explored.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote